Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 330
    I did call the dealer locally to get the details on the advertised '02 Millenia P. The price is $19682, but you have to qualify for the $400 college rebate. Also, add $595 for their protection package (notated in the advertisement) and doc fees ($395). All totaled $21072 plus tax and tag. I think it's still a great buy, but I'm turned off by all the mandatory sticker padding. Instead, give me the true price up front without all the games. It's no wonder some find car shopping a hassle instead of fun as it should be.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

For those of you thinking about buying a new or used Millenia, you are looking at a wonderful car. I have had the pleasure of leasing a '96 and buying a '98 2.5 v-6. Both had the Bose, the '96 also had the 4 seasons package. I would have bought the '96 after the 24 mo lease expired, except Mazda would not negotiate on the final buy out price (residual). The residual was set at $21000+, while true market value was much less. I bought the '98 in 8/98 as I turned in the '96. They heavily discounted the price on the '98, so any other cars I was seriously considering at the time (I really like the Olds Intrigue, in black like my '96 Millenia), there was just no comparison. The Millenia is like a good loafer. The more you wear it (drive it), the more comfortable it becomes. Sometimes you don't realize just how good it is until you have to drive a different car. Then you get back to your Millenia, and after the first block of driving you have a smile on your face!:) About power: the 2.5 v-6 is fine. It will run without protest on regular while getting 21mpg city and 27-30mpg highway. Don't be shy in being aggressive with the gas pedal when you need to accelerate briskly. Let the engine get into higher revs or even let it shift at red-line. It sounds sweet and will surprise you with its willingness. My wife always commented she loved to hear the car shift down a gear and the engine would sing it's pretty song. I never had a single problem out of either car and I regret trading the '98 on a used '98 Catera. I thought I was tired of the Millenia and wanted something the same size, but different. I kept the Catera for less than a year as it was in the shop 11 times in 8 months! I say that I'm not in the market now, but having owned more than two dozen cars since 1984, you never know...

• rob133rob133 Posts: 24
    What was the sticker price of the Millenia that they'll sell for $19682 + extras?
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    That may well apply to the 2.3 S also. But you are right on with that comment. It has the sound of a race engine on hard acceleraion. Nice.

by rob133
    "What was the sticker price of the Millenia that they'll sell for $19682 + extras?"

I paid $21680 for my "P". It was stickered at over $28500, and had a funny paper stuck on it for a $945 wax and stripe job. that took it to over $29500 bottom line DSRP (dealer suggested ripoff price). It took about ten minutes to get that reduced to the price I paid. I had to go to a second dealer to accomplish that because the first dealer was out for every penny he could get.

Good luck with your car shopping. But do yourself a favor and hit several dealers if possible. It saved me and others here thousands.

Welcome back tomekk, don't be a stranger. Hope I haven't run you off with my enthusiasm for my car. Even at my slightly advanced age, I felt like I had found the pot of gold when I came across the huge discounts on the Millenia, and so far I have had no reason to feel differently about it. But if it should let me down in some way I WILL say so. I have no reason to push the car to others, just my own great experience with both the car and the dealer.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    Now that's new addition to my vocabulary: "DSRP" - Dealer Suggested Ripoff Price. Perfect!

When talking about letdowns: I think the fan in my climate control system is getting noisier, makes kind of a ticking noise. Noticed it today - at idle it is the loudest thing in the car. I think I'll have it checked out when I go for an oil change (yep, 10K miles coming up already).

And for those shopping: carsdirect.com quotes for S with Bose, 6CD changer and cold weather package the following:

CarsDirect.com Price $25,294
    MSRP $32,395
    Invoice $29,894

with a disclaimer:

Customer Rebate: ($5000) Customers must take delivery by 4/1/02. Please read for important information.

Good luck, it's good bang for the buck.

Tomek
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    Glad that you came out of hibernation, please keep up the good work you are doing on this board.

To get back to this horsepower issue.
    The horsepower of a car does not make it faster than another car with less horsepower.The speed of the car is determine by the gear ratios.So all you horsepower hunger drivers, please go back to the drawing board and do your research before bragging about my car has 20000 horsepower so it must be faster than yours.
    The BMW 528 is a perfect example of less horsepower, but its 0-60 time will beat most of those heavily equipped horses out there.
    I think horsepower is for maintaining speed, tourqe is ability to accelerate. High horsepower, lower torque engines (like Toyota small displacement VVTi, most Hondas) don't give you much off the line.
    There are also other factors - as you mention, Billy, gear ratios - but also transmissions (manual, auto, CVT), sensitivity of turbos and superchargers to heat (Millenia S is affected), and engines's ability to gain revs (my VW VR6 was great in that respect, it spun up immediately, in-line 6s in BMWs are also eager "spinners"). I think BMWs are so good off the line because they combine a lot of those factors: manual tranny with the right gearing and eager to rev angine... Hm, I'm thinking after warranty is over on my Millenia I'll lease myself a 330i :-)

Anyway, for me the biggest problem in acceleration is TRAFFIC!!! It can get pretty bad in and around Boston.

Tomek
    I live about an hour SW of Orlando, and make that run fairly often. The last time was in my new Millenia in traffic running way above the speed limit on I-75 at about 85 to 95 mph, almost bumper to bumper, with what seemed like half semi's. It was a little intimidating with a brand new car in those conditions, and I escaped with only a light scuff on the hood from a piece of drywall that flew up off the highway when a pickup in front of me went over it, and two tiny rock chips. Fortunately, the scuff compounded out and the chips are almost invisable. Trying the touch up paint on them only looked worse, so I immediately removed it.

Watch out for those Georgia Cracker cowboys in their pickumups zipping up behind you with lights flashing to force you to the next lane so they can get by. South Georgia is the only place I have run into so many of those. And have a fun trip in your new car.

tomekk, it sounds like your car might have sucked a piece of a leaf or paper into the blower to me. Which brings up a point. Is there a cabin air filter somewhere on the Millenia?

billyperks,
    "The BMW 528 is a perfect example of less horsepower, but its 0-60 time will beat most of those heavily equipped horses out there."

European cars have typically had very high performance small engines as you suggest. So did the Japanese cars until this recent horsepower war started. It reminds me of the 60's and 70's American muscle car horsepower shootout like the '68 Charger I had. New cars with less than half the displacement of those huge engines can run circles around many of them literally, with the vastly improved handling and tires. Not to suggest my P could compete with a 383 Charger in straight line acceleration, but it sure out handles it.
  • nvedraninvedrani Posts: 58
    That (Boston traffic) is exactly why I opted for an auto tranny in the Millenia I have owned several other cars in a 5 speed manual, but living in downtown Boston for a few years will certainly alter ones appreciation for the auto. When I move next (probably Ft Lauderdale area) I'll definitely opt for the 6 speed 540i Sport (I'm 6'4" so 330i wouldn't cut it for me size wise). If you can afford it, you simply can't beat the big Germans in terms of performance luxury. I wish the Millenia S had a 5 or 6 speed still though...just to feel the Miller get a chance off the line....IMHO
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    Don't be fooled, Ft. Lauderdale traffic is no picnic either, especially if you have to drive down to Miami like I do. I spend 3 hours in traffic everyday going to work and back home every day. It's bad enough to deal with traffic with an automagic, a manual would be murder.
    Not to mention that high dollar cars are extremely common there. When I go down there I feel like a pauper driving my Millenia. I have to come back to central Fl to get my pride back.
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Posts: 54
    tomekk, welcome back.

When I was first test driving Millenias, I noticed a ticking noise from the fan on a used '95. I purchaced a new Millenia in '99, and noticed a ticking noise from my fan last fall. I played with the fan speed (back and forth from high to low) for a couple of minutes and it went away. I then realized that I was parking under trees, and there were alot of leaves under the hood. I think that it might be possible for a leaf, or other small object to get caught on the climet control system. I cleaned out all the leaves, and it's been silent ever since.

Bob
    Could this possibly be the "infamous" HLA ticking noise on start up?? Just a thought?? When's the last time you had your oil changed?
  • mcrane1mcrane1 Posts: 3
    I live in lauderdale and am in the process of purchasing '02 Millenia "P".

Do you guys have any recommendations on which dealers in south florida I should buy the car from to get the best price?
    Also which south florida Mazda dealers have honest & reasonably priced service depts.

Do you guys have an idea of how much it will cost me to dark tint the windows on the millenia?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    I got mine at Gunther Mazda in Ft. Lauderdale (954) 797-1600, they were the only dealer that I went to that was willing to negotiate. Then again, you never know with car dealers. I can't tell you about their servc. dept because I haven't gone to it yet. I dunno if he still works there but my salesperson was Chet Hernandez, he is a good guy.

Good luck

Speed
    Well, I in one of the vents in the center of the dashboard there seems to be a big piece of tape (looks like electrical insulation tape), I'll have to get some tweezers to remove it... thanks Bob B for the suggestion. I'll see if that was it.

Nvedrani, what is ""infamous" HLA ticking noise on start up". HLA?

Tomek
    I imagine my dealer is a little out of range for you. Mine came from Courtesy Mazda in Tampa. It was a totally hassle free, no pressure experience. I was also on their Toyota and Mazda lots in Brandon, and they have the same no pressure, courteous sales staff I found in Tampa. Their name apparently means what it says. The sales people told me they are salaried, not on commission.

After two weekends on Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan lots in Orlando, Brandon, Sebring and Tampa, they were a breath of fresh air. I had told my wife I was done looking because I was totally po'ed with most of the dealers, when we decided to make one last try. Bingo. Sure glad I did.

I also have not gone back for anything, but have received a kit with touchup paint and other goodies in the mail from them.

Good luck down there. My daughter lives in Margate, and had a rotten experience with one of the Maroony (sp?) lots. That is about all I can tell you about your area.
    If anyone has ever noticed a funny sound upon start-up...it is like a ticking, tapping type noise and seems like it is coming from the air vents or dashboard area.

Tomek; HLA is an abbre. for Hydraulic Lifter Arms (I beieve?!),...this VERY informative website gives a ton of info regarding the 2.5 V6 and the 2.3 Miller Cycle. The site further explains why these HLA's make the noise and how to stop it. Hope this helps someone!

http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/probefaq.htm

Nat, close but no cigar: HLA = Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (for lifters).

My ticking noise changes with climate control fan speed, so it's definitely no engine problem. I'll drop it off on Thursday for oil change (10K miles!) and have them check it out.

Tomek

P.S. Hi, Pat. Are you? :-)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think I hope not. Or should I think I hope so? :-)
    The price on the Millenia listed for $19682 stickered at $28500, i.e. base Millenia P without any options. I have had two Millenias with the Bose stereo, and while I really enjoyed them, from what I've read (I have not heard it myself), the standard stereo is quite good. So..I saw a Millenia P equipped just as I might consider, self dimming review mirror and compass ($150), and cargo net ($30?), and you have a very complete and desirable car. I've had a black with beige and twilight mica blue with beige combination. I tend to like the silver with gray interior this time, but haven't seen any. I have seen several with silver with beige interior, but it looks a bit blah to me. Anyhow, and I know am long winded, I think the Millenia is a strong BUY, and quite undervalued.

If you knew the proper terminology for "HLA" then why did you ask?? Just a thought....Nate
    I didn't know it, I've seen it on the web site you gave me the link to. It was on your fingertips all that time... :-)

Tomek
    I've removed a 2 inch piece of some kind of insulation tape from the right center vent - that didn't stop the ticking noise.

So I scheduled a service visit to fix it tomorrow. The service advisor - only when pressed - agreed to give me a free loaner (from Enterprise, Mazda will cover it) because we treat this visit as "warranty work", for which Mazda has "Service Transporation Solution" (the free loaner).

Tomek
  • speed33speed33 Posts: 17
    I recently saw an ad for 1999 Millenia S 9.000 miles for 12.999. It seemed too cheap to be true, so I took my wife to the dealer and it was there waiting to be bought. The car looks super clean and still has that new car smell, but I ma a bit hesitant. The price is way tooooo low. What gives????? Should I go for it???? Is there a trick that I am not aware of??? ( I do not trust dealers at all - bad experiences from the past). Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hm, according to KBB (www.kbb.com) and Edmunds used car values it should sell for $17-$18K (trade-in value is over $14K).
    I'd run VIN through Carfax or something like that to make sure it hasn't been totaled before (salvage?).
    I've also read reports that cars recovered from garages under WTC are showing up at used car dealers. I'm not sure about that new car smell...
    Good luck, do your research well!
    Tomek
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    Quick question for you guys.

Do you think there is going to be a blow out sale on the Millenias when the Mazda 6 arrives?

Guess what? Mazda gave me two free tickets for the New York car show,who said Mazda was cheap:).
    I think it is going on right now. $4000 to $5000 under invoice seems to fit that description. My brother in law is a car dealer, and he was amazed at mine being bought at that price.
  • kngmke1kngmke1 Posts: 14
    I have a 2000S ME with 12,000 on it & just noticed this yesterday. I seem to remember reading the cause/ effect in this forum. Any one remember? I didn't want to have to back through all the posts to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks