Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• obioha1obioha1 Posts: 27
    I'm sorry for writing 3 messages instead of one long message but that's how the thoughts come. Anyways what is the millenia special addition? I saw on edmunds that it is black millenia with a chrome grill and black/ivory leather with titanium accents inside. Sounds cool but I have yet to see it. It lists for $600 more than a regular S. I was wondering if anyone has seen it and what do they think and if there are any links to see it.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I saw it...nothing super special but the interior does have touch more class.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Go here:

http://www.mazdausa.com/millenia/

And click on the Special Edition link next to the Quick Facts.

• tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    mparthasarat,

it's a supercharged, high compression engine - premium required, otherwise you'll kill it with knock.

Tomek
  • speed33speed33 Posts: 17
    What is Mazda going to be replaced with????? Is it true that 626 V6 and Millenia P has the same engine??? If this is true why would one prefer a Millenia over 626, the second beign cheaper and roughly the same size?
    Last week I had noise in climate control fan - they replaced the bearing assembly. I also got an oil change for $19.99 + tax, free car wash (they did it for me) and free loaner - if anybody is in for warranty repairs, Mazda covers that. Cool, I was going to get that oil change anyway...
    The service advisor wanted to know if I was totally satisfied and when I said yes, he asked to give them all 10s on customer satisfaction survey that Mazda will be sending my way. Ah, the wonders of motivation...

Tomek
    Speed33,

I think
    - Millenia will be replaced in 2003 by RX8
    - 626 will be replaced in 2003 by Mazda 6 (they got realy creative here)

And yes, Millenia P has the same engine as V6 626. And no, I - personally - didn't prefer 626. It is smaller, much narrower, completely different interior, different vehicle class. So I got Millenia S for 26K in July '01.

Tomek
    While they are totally different platforms, they do share the 2.5 V-6, but Millenia does not use the I-4.

To answer your "why" question, I will use another "why" question. Why would anyone prefer an ES300 to a Camry, or an I35 to a Maxima. Primarily it is the luxury factor, plus you can steal the Millenia right now if you have any bargaining ability at all.

The Millenia also has a better frequency of repair record than a 626.
  • phatpatphatpat Posts: 22
    My keyless entry has stopped working. Does this just require a new battery and where and what kind do I need? The reason I'm asking is because in the manual it says to pop off the back of it and replace but on mine it doesn't appear to easily be removed and replaced. It also doesn't specify what type of battery to use. Any help would be appreciated.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    Open it and see what kinds of battery it's using; either way you need to open it to replace the battery. I bet it's using the 2032 battery; which is fairly easy to find.
    WalMart has Fram Sure Drain oil plugs available, They don't list one for my 2001 Millenia 2.5L, but they do list the 2000 Millenia with that engine.

Now to the point. Can anyone here tell me if Mazda changed the oil drain plug size from 2000 to 2001? I can't see why they would have, as it is the same identical engine. I'm just trying to confirm my suspicion that the SD-2 plug listed to fit the '00 Millenia will work for my '01.

Thanks
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    Hello to everyone this is my first time in here. On the sure drain oil plug you may want to look at the fram web site, www.fram.com, and it will list all of their filters for your car.

Since we are talking about oil changes I was wondering if anyone knows if the '02 mill s needs a lube job. I have a couple of older 626's that do not need them and I have family members that have newer 626's that I think do not need them, but what about the mill s?

Also the owners manual states to replace spark plugs at 60,000 miles is this realistic?

By the way I bought a '02 mill s on Feb 23 in platinum silver metallic with 4 seasons package, 6-disc cd, and the 17" chrome alloy wheels for $24,995. Was this a good price or not.

Thanks.
    What do you mean by "lube job"?

Sparkplugs - sure it's realistic, more cars today have platinum-tipped plugs that last 100K miles.

Price - I think it is a good price (I paid 26K for '01S in July). Today Quirk Mazda in Boston advertises Millenia P for 20,599 (citing 5K rebate, and 3K dealer discount, they have 3 in stock at that price).

Good luck with your S -

Tomek
    Frank,

I'd cross-check it with 2001 Mazda MPV - same engine. But wouldn't it be easier to get it at the dealer? It can't be more than a few bucks, and you'll know for sure you're getting the right thing. And why do you need one (just curious)?

Tomek
    The Sure Drain is a replacement for the OEM plug that allows you to drain the oil without removing the plug. It has an internal valve that opens when you screw the drain hose onto it.

http://www.aapexshow.com/index1.php?page=fastaction

It is very similar to the CAP Plug at:

http://www.oilchangesolution.com/qc.php3

Fumotovalve is another one for the same purpose,

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

but double the price of the Sure Drain. I change my own oil, and they seem to be a good way to keep from dropping the plug when you remove it, or getting hot oil on your hand, and faster/easier.

By the way, I saw "P"'s advertised at about that price this morning too, but the fine print says that is after a $1000 downpayment or trade, and does not include destination charge. That brings it back up to about $23000. Still a great buy, but as usual you have to watch out for the fine print.

kcm8419,

I checked Millenia and some others on the Fram site, and their application charts only go through the 2000 models on the ones I checked including Accord and Camry. It looks like they have not updated to include 2001 and 2002 models.

Frank

fwatson, thanks for the info - that's really cool "device"! Although last time I changed oil myself was 8-9 years ago... maybe I'll go back to DIY when I retire in 20 or 25 years :-)

Tomek
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    What I mean by a lube job is lubricating your steering linkage. When you go to these quick oil change places their price normally includes changing the oil, oil filter, and a lube job. I am assuming that with the cv boots on these cars that you no longer need to lubricate the steering linkage anymore. I drive some US made vehicles still at work, big 3 manufactures, and they still need a lube job to them. If this is the case then I will not fool with changing the oil myself.

Thank you for the information on the spark plugs.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Thanks for your post on the Toyota sight. In your opinion does the Millenia match closely with the vehicles I am thinking of? I just never even thought about the Millenia. Why are they marked down so much?
    What kind of mpg can I expect from the Millenia? Does it use a belt or chain? Is it an interference or non-interference engine? Is it made in Japan? Is this the last year for this model and if so, what will replace it? I will try to read the previous posts but it will take me a while. My primary requirement in a new car is reliability. I cannot tolerate repairs when one is paying 30K for an auto. It also is a waste of my time. What is the warranty on the Millenia?
    Lots of questions. I think a couple others will chime in here with some answers for you too.

1-Some comparisons are subjective, but I find the Millenia impeccably assembled and finished, both inside and out. It has from about 5 to 10 cubic feet less interior cabin space than the other cars you mention, but much of this is a result of styling that has a lot of tumblehome on the sides, and a steeply raked windshield. The front seats are within an inch in width of the other cars. I find the front seats very comfortable, and the driving position not only good, but airy, with great visibility. The back seat is limited in width by the fold down center console, which also opens a ski passthrough to the trunk. For kids the back seat would be great, larger teenagers and adults might find it a little short on legroom. The moonroof is standard equipment, and does cut into headroom a couple of inches.

2-Most of us here seem to agree the reason for the hugh markdowns, is that the Millenia started out to be the entry level car in a new Mazda luxury car division called Amati. The new division never got off the ground, and Millenia was sold as a top of the line Mazda, and never got the promotion of the Lexus, Infinity, and Acura's. Plus not having a seperate dealer network for the luxury brand worked against it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the car, which Consumer Report calls outstanding in their April '02 New Car Issue. Carpoint, at

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

shows all models since '96 to have top notch reliability. The reason for the slight downrating on the '95 and '96 engine, was a problem with sparkplug wires, which was a cheap (about $100), and easy repair. I have read of a little bit of a problem with the "S" model which is supercharged, having a blue oil smoke on startup after it accumulates some fairly high milage, which comes from the supercharger passing a little bit of oil. Most owners of "S"es love their cars though.

3-I am averaging a little over 22 mpg overall, with a low of about twenty city and about 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. My car is the unsupercharged "P" (for premium) model, and I have run 87 octane gasoline since new with no problem. The manual allows this, but recommends 93 octane for the "P", and requires 93 octane for the "S".

4-The engine is non-interference, using a timing belt.

5-It is manufactured in Japan with almost 100% Japanese sourced parts.

6-2002 is the Millenia's last year, and Mazda is coming out with two new models, the Mazda 6, which I think will kind of overlap the also discontinued 626, and the Millenia. The new RX-8 will be an upscale car, also partially replacing the Millenia.

7-$30000, no way. You can easily buy the basic "P" which is far from basic for under $22000, or the "S" for less than $25000.

I really believe these Millenia's at the prices you can get are the best kept secret, and the best bargain you can find in a new car. They do have a somewhat high depreciation, but better than most "American" cars. But at the discounts available that is completely moot for me. If you plan to keep a new car more than say 4 years, it is of no concern at all.

Happy car hunting. If that's not an oxymoron.

• phatpatphatpat Posts: 22
    Well it's about time for my 65,000 mile service and I was wondering what that's going to run me. From what I understand I may be looking at around $700.00 - $800.00, does this sound about right? What exactly is done?