Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• shenequashenequa Posts: 6
    Greeting everyone,

I am the some what proud owner of a 1995 MilleniaL with 139,000 miles on it. Just a little history I recently replaced the transmission, cv axles, and gaskets...which set me back $1400.00. Its now in the shop again.....reason: when driving on the freeway going between 60-70 miles it would just start hesitating when trying to accelerate...this happened for a couple of days until finally while trying to go up a hill the car just didn't want to pull and coming down the hill it went dead and wouldn't start again for at least 10 mintues...I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so what they did to fix it also I had a few other questions posted below....all comments are appreciated...

1) How do you disable the TCS?
    2) Does anyone know what an EGR boot is and what it does?
    3) Is there any quick fix for the trunk release...mine will pop yet after you take your finger off the release it will instantly lock back up?

Thanks everyone!
  • speed33speed33 Posts: 17
    It seems that mazda Millenia is not made to go far. Sorry Shenequa to hear about your problems. It looks like it is time to move on and dump this baby asap. Remeber most people who are on this board have their millenias for no more than 2, 3 years, so they have yet to experience the problems high maintenence car like Millenia brings. This is a very expensive car to fix, get rid of it and buy somethig more solid like Accord, Camry or Maxima. Remeber there is a reason why Millenias are so cheap, now you found out why. Good Luck!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    when his accord dumped a tranny at 65k miles.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    I don't know what your problem is 33, but try a little research before posting.

Here is the link for Carpoint Reliability Ratings:

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

Look at Millenia:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Mazda/Millenia/Used.asp

Now try Camry:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Toyota/Camry/Used.asp

And Accord:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Honda/Accord/Used.asp

Uh, which did you say were most reliable?

Also, pick up the April '02 issue of Consumer Reports, and look at all the pretty red dots and checkmarks regarding the Millenia. Now turn to page 55 of the same issue and read this, "Depreciation is steep, BUT RELIABILITY HAS BEEN O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G!!!!!!"

Carpoint gets their information from professional mechanics, and CR from owners. That pretty well covers the possibilities.

Try every reliability ratings source you can find, and you will see the same results. As for CR's sarcastic remarks about Millenia, you will find the same putdown aimed at virtually every car they list, including Bentleys, BMW's and Lexus. Especially if the basic car is more than two model years old. They seem to feel that anything over two years old is an antique, and probably feel the same about anybody over thirty, which includes me.

Millenia is a very good, and extremely reliable car.

• kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    To disable your TCS you should have a button by your gear selector that you need to press to disable this. A light should then come on on your instrument panel telling you "TCS OFF". Don't forget the tcs automatically comes on when you start your car. The EGR, according to a repair manual that I have for another vehicle, is the exhaust gas recirculation. "It controls emissions by routing a portion of the exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. This operation depends on vacuum level, exhaust pressure, engine coolant and radiator temperature and on turbocharged vehicles, engine load and speed." The trunk release you may just want to grease or oil the trunk latch because it sounds like it is not popping the trunk up when you press the button.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    You've "replaced the transmission, cv axles, and gaskets...which set me back $1400.00." That's cheap! Tie rod end on my (previuosly owned) Passat: $480, right front bearing: $560. That's all before 60K miles. Nothing broke and I would get charged $350 for "30K mile service". How's that for expensive car to maintain...

Now, when it comes to cars with 139,000 miles on them - I'd follow speed33's advice and dump it if you can. This is only the beginning, things WILL break down.

I have to say I generally get bored with a car after 4 years, and if it is really good, I keep it for 6. Never had anything over 100K miles, but judging from various experiences of friend, coworkers etc. no matter what you have will become costly to maintain and keep running (somebody who works for me last month spent $2300 on 1995 accors with 125K miles - and he was furious about it). There are no miracles...

Good luck, if I were you I'd go shopping...

Tomek
  • marak88marak88 Posts: 57
    I have two coworkers with me, one that have 65k on his 99 millenia L with no problems yet and the other has only 22k on his 2001 accord and already on his second transmission.
    If I was to choose between the two cars for reliability I'll take the millenia. thats my opinion only, :)

Regards,
  • acabral1acabral1 Posts: 122
    A new website has been launched for the millenia; however not every page is up and running as of yet. The website's forum is currently available though. This website, has been designed to provided customization, service, general info, et cetera etc... assistance/information to millenia owners.

http://www.custommillenia.com/

regards,

• shenequashenequa Posts: 6
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. I am getting the "M-Dawg" out the shop today and this time it's going to set me back $330.00. I am not complaining because for the most part I love my car and even with it being a 95 it still turns heads :-) I think that I am going to keep it until the Mazda 6 has been out for a year a so and then jump into one of those :-)

Thanks again!
    There is no car that is 100% trouble free, but Mazda tends to have very expensive parts especially for Millenia which originally was going to become Avanti: upscale division for Mazda. I could provide stories of Mazdas having problems in its first 50K but it is pointless. We all have friends who have .... ect.
    As for CR, I lost faith in them ever since they published their story on Isuzu Troopers. Besides, I have trouble taking advice from magazine that tests everything and consequently has expertise on nothing. I think that the best deal is to get a used 1, 2 year old Millenia let some other sucker eat the steeeeeeeeep depreciacion and enjoy the car for next 3 to 5 years. Keeping this car longer will kill your wallet. Just my 2c.
    Not Avanti, that was a Studebaker, and later a stand alone brand.

The proposed Mazda luxury division was to be Amati. Close, but no cigar.

Quote speed33: "I have trouble taking advice from magazine that tests everything and consequently has expertise on nothing."

Again, please do some research before posting incorrect information.

CR has experts in many different laboratories. The laundry detergent experts do not test cars.

CR advertises in the magazine for experts by catagory to fill vacancies.

I will say it again, and I HAVE done the research. MIllenia is an extremely reliable vehicle, on a level equal to or exceeding all Toyotas Hondas, Maxima and other such cars. Reliability is my prime criteria in buying a car. Millenia's great reliability and the huge discounts are exactly why I bought one.

I posted links for you to check this yourself. Apparently you don't have the time to do that.

By the way, I left out the Carpoint Maxima link:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Nissan/Maxima/Used.asp

And again, Millenia

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/UsedRelOver/Mazda/Millenia/Used.asp

As you can see, none of the cars represented by Carpoint links I supplied you outperform Millenia in reliability.

Frank

speed33, please read.

The engine problem is for spark plug wires in '95 and '96. None since. Please take note that ALL catagories say, and I quote "INFREQUENT PROBLEMS REPORTED, ALL WITH LOW REPAIR COSTS"

And a grade of 5 is as high as a car can get on Carpoint.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Engine An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Spark Plug Wires (2.5L only). The cost to repair the Spark Plug Wires is estimated at $109.15 for parts and $26.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission & Driveline Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steering & Suspension Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Brakes Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Heating & Air Conditioning Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Starting & Charging Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Accessories Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.

Overall 5 out of 5
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    fwatson, remember saxonii? banned and re-incarnated ? :-)

Anyway, my 2000 Millenia S now has over 44000 trouble free miles. The more I drive the more I love this car. I'm going to keep my car until it dies; hoping to get 250,000 miles (yes, it's possible to get 250,000 miles out of a Mazda). I have a co-worker who's still driving his '90 626 hatchback with about 243K miles on it and still going.
    And yes, Millenia's design is timeless and beautiful. The design of this car will not look old even five years from now; kinda like how the mazda '93-'97 MX6 are, but better. Mazda's designer sure knows how to design a beautiful car.

cheers
    "remember saxonii? banned and re-incarnated ? :-)"

Yes, I've started to ask speed33 about his '86 Grand Marquis a few times. LOL

Frank
    Howdy all:

Like I said I do not trust CR - it is a publication aimed at middle age house wifes who cannot select their own blenders and toasters. They destroyed Trooper's reputation for no good reason yet somehow missed Ford Explorer and its stablility issues. As for car point - well it is a site run by Microsoft and I doubt they are more reputable than CR. What counts is real life and there Mazda Millenia does not shine. There have been others who have listed its shortcomings so I will not repeat them, but no matter how many sites and publications print good things about Mazda Millenia, it is still very expensive to fix. Shenequa and others who have problems with their Millenias could not care less what CR says, for them it is time to pay and pay big $$$$ to fix their vehicles. You felows have brand new Millenias and let's face it even the Koreans can make a decent car that will run trouble free for couple of years, it is what happenes after that, that counts.
    Millenia is not Mazda's greatest achievement period. People on the street know what is good and what is not. That is why RX7 will hold its value while Millenia will not.
    As for saxon2, well, didn't you guys blast him on this board??????? He has not posted in a while and already you guys miss him. Saxon come back !!!!!!
    Hey I cannot wait to be called a troll as for the car well it was not made in 1986. ou gentlemen have a nice evening!
    It's always good to meet someone who knows more about a subject than all the professional mechanics and writers combined. Not to mention all the stupid owners that sold out to CR on those rigged questionaires.

Please continue to post your tripe so the members of the Millenia forum can have a good laugh at your expertise.

Your vendetta against Millenia, Consumer Reports, Carpoint, and anyone else who won't take your vindictive point of view, has upset me so much I'm about to pee my pants. Pardon me while I make a quick trip to the bathroom. LOL

Frank
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    Reliable, not reliable, value for the money, shortcomings, . . . it's all subjective, gentlemen. Remember that.

There are cars considered to be reliable that'll brake. There are cars considered utter crap that will go on forever:
    when I came to this country, I bought 1 year old 1991 Plymouth Acclaim V6, made in Mexico, with Mitsu engine for $8500 - sold it 4 years later for 4500. The two things I had to fix: speed sensor ($35 incl. labor) and muffler ($60 or so). Does that make it a great car? I would call it sofa on wheels... but I really liked it (in the way you like an ugly pet).

So, it's all opinions, personal experiences and perception! What is good for one person, is not good for another. That's why some people buy pickup, and some buy Porsches. Even my 6 year old understands a Porsche wouldn't work for us and why we have a van. I've tried Maxima, Acura TL and others, and Millenia S worked at the time the best for me. Will I buy it (or something similar) again? I don't know - I'll tell you 3-4 years from now. You don't step into the same river twice, you know...

To each his own!

I am not supporting those calling Saxon II back, because you could not have a discussion with him - he was so narrow minded and petty in persisting that everybody who dares to have a different opinion (even based on one's own experience) was subject to long winded, irrational, insubstantiated attacks with no factual support (i.e. Millenia has not changed since 1995 and Maxima is DA BEST (although built on an older platform than Millenia, with rather primitive suspension)).

And I don't have nearly eough time to participate in pointless slugfests that people like Saxon love to spark. Don't get drawn into it!

Take it easy -

Tomek
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    Everybody has a right to their opinion, but I think no matter how you cut it Mazda still offers the biggest bang for your buck.

As far as CR is concerned, like any other publication it has to be used as a guide. If you want to take it or any other publication as gospel of course you are going to find problems with them. If I had listened to CR I would have not bought a Millenia I would have bought a Passat or a Camary. I looked at a Passat and I did not like it. So I guess for all of us "middle age housewifes" that use it as a guide I guess we are in a minority. As far as the Trooper goes I don't care who would have stated that I would not have looked at, not that I would have anyway. I think ones life is more important than a corporations bottom line is.

Just my two cents worth.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and has the right to state it. That's what online forums are all about. Most of us do that, and it creates a good conversation. Some others, usually those who do not, have not, and probably never will own the product being discussed have a strange need to come on with untrue, and unsubstantiated statements with the sole purpose being to cause an argument, which in turn gets them the attention they crave. That is a troll. For me they do serve one purpose, they are good for a hearty laugh at their total ignorance of the subject at hand.

If they had any proof of what they are saying, they would present it. Trolls don't, because they are simply blowing smoke.

Like tomekk, Millenia worked best at the time for me. I have no idea what my next car will be, because it hasn't been built yet. I do know from researching the internet, reading many magazines, and going to so many car dealers of a large variety of makes and models over a period of about three months, that nothing even comes close to Millenia for bang for the buck right now. Next time it will have to be something else, as this is the last year for Millenia. That's too bad, because with a moderate update, including a slightly larger V-6 to please the hot rod crowd, it is fully competitive with the $30000 group of cars.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    What studies do you know of, Speed33, that prove your point? You discount CR and Carpoint, yet you don't offer an example of a reliability survey done right. Instead, you say that anecdotal evidence should be the final arbiter. That only gets us back to where we were with your first post. If my friend has an Accord with a bad trans at ~70k, then all Accords are not worthy? With that viewpoint it looks like you should be posting on every single topic here, because I have not not seen a flawless car-line yet.