Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    As long as you folks keep responding, he will keep posting. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
  • rbrubakerrbrubaker Posts: 54
    Lets see, thats $0.42/hour, and $0.007/minute! What was I thinking? I am heading out to the BMW dealer ASAP!
  • chesterzchesterz Posts: 11
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. About the tires, my mistake, they were the v-rated. I replaced them with a Goodyear tire that is excellent - Eagle LS - $700 drive out price. I live in Santa Fe, NM and living in a small city that is a major tourist destination, discounts are at a premium.

The 2000 does not have a lower lumbar adjustment like they added in 2001. I have just gotten used to having it on prior automobiles, and it helps on long driving trips.

I will go to another dealer and see their take on the rattle I hear in the rear end of the car. Will have to go to Albq., since there is only one dealer here in Santa Fe.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I too am looking for an entry-level luxury vehicle and my list includes the ES300, TL, Infiniti I35, and even the Toyota Camry/Honda Accord combo even though they are not "luxury" vehicles. To tell you the truth, I have never considered the Millenia because I just do not know anything about it. What price are they now for the non-S model? What kind of gas mileage can I expect out of it? Initial quality and long-term dependability are at the top of my must-have items. Does the Millenia meet this requirement? Let me know what you owners think? I hope you will give me an unbiased opinion. Thanks.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    fredvh, you can get a brand new Millenia P for about $21700 up to $23000 depending on wheater or not you get the 4-season pckg, Bose 9speaker audio and/or in-dash 6CD changer. Go to carsdirect.com and lookup their price, print it out and bring it to any mazda dealership and have them price match it.
    Gas mileage is about 20mpg city driving. As for quality, the first year model '95 have some problems, but the build quality gets better and better each year after that. I can't tell you about long term reliability, but I expect my 2000 Millenia S to last at least until 150,000 miles (got 44800 trouble-free miles now).
  • chesterzchesterz Posts: 11
    I have always been impressed with the Millenia from when they were first introduced. I bought mine two years ago this summer and I am basically pleased with the vehicle. Dealers discount them heavily which is a plus when purchasing it. Downside, is they depreciate quickly. Plan on keeping it several years if you do purchase.

I average mileage wise about 22-24 around town and about 27 on the highway. Premium fuel with S version, I'm not sure about base model fuel requirements.

I feel that I have an auto with the long term reliability you are seeking. Initial quality is excellent. It rivals Honda Accord, in my book. I had two Accords over the years, and feel the same about the Millenia.

I feel Mazda's network of dealerships is somewhat weak. Most I have dealt with the dealership sells something else also and in that situation, I don't think a customer gets the best service. Just my opinion.

I would give the Millenia a good hard look - you get a lot of automobile for your money.
  • obioha1obioha1 Posts: 27
    I think this was brought on a previous post about actual acceleration, speed, power, etc. Isn't acceleration/speed more to do with gearing than actual power. I mean the 330ci has 225HP, not exactly incredible but it does 0-60 in like 6.3 seconds or so. The acura tl-s/cl-s infinity 1-35/2002 maxima all have 0ver 250HP yet aren't close to this figure, well maybe the TL it does it in like 6.7seconds or so. I wonder why people criticize the millenia over lack of power and the other cars in its class with 40-50HP advantage are like a second faster than the mill S, which no one can feel in real world driving anyway and slower than the lower powered 330ci. Had mazda geared the millenia more aggressively would it's "lack" of power even be an issue?
    One last thing since the P shares an engine with the 626 and the discontinued ford probe GT aren't there a lot of aftermarket engine mods for it. I have seen so many modified probe GTs. They have all sorts of engine mods so there should be a slew of aftermarket for the P, now the S is a different story!
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    I would not touch the Santa Fe dealership. I have had a couple of bad experiences with them in the past. I bought mine at Rich's in Alb., but I have not had to use their service yet. It also appears that University has changed over their entire sales force from last year but I do not know about their service department. Although when I bought mine the sales staff at Rich's did make a point of telling me that the service department is there to make money, even though yours is under warranty still.

Thanks for mentioning your mileage.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    It has been mentioned that the base model takes regular unleaded and that the mileage has been around 22 mpg in town. I bought my S for $25,000. If you are considering the Toyota take a look at the engine sludge discussion they have going on. I have not looked at that in a few months but it appears to be affecting the V6's. I do not know if this could also be tied to the Lexas's. This is what turned me away from looking at the Toyota's.
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    OK, forget about performance, and gas mileage and which car is better, blah, blah, blah.

Do you ever catch yourself just sitting back and looking at your Millenia from a little distance? I do all the time since I drive my wife's 2001P so seldomly, but this car has some of the nicest lines on it. Now I know this is subjective, but it is really a nice looking car. Hard to believe the basic body style has been around as long as it has.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Quote protegenic:
    "Do you ever catch yourself just sitting back and looking at your Millenia from a little distance?"

I've had my '01 Platinum Silver Millenia P since Sept '01. And to this day, everytime I go into my garage or see it on a parking lot when I come out of a store, I actually find myself verbalizing "Damn that thing's gorgeous". It is simply an involuntary reaction on my part.

True, styling is subjective, but the Mazda stylists hit the nail on the head when thay did the Millenia, and improved it with the '01 update. I always admired the 929, and the Millenia ouclasses it IMO.

I was running alongside a 530 BMW this morning, and thinking how mine looks better than his. When we stopped at a light, the BMW driver called his passenger's attention to my Millenia.

I have gushed all over myself previously in this thread about my car. So I'll cut it out before someone thinks I'm a paid advocate for Mazda. :)
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    I still think the 99-00 body stlye looks better than the 01-02.:)
    Guys please dont turn this into a long debate now:).
    I am going to check out the NYC auto show tomorrow,I will give those of you who cannot make it an update on the new Mazda products.
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    Subjective comments are fine. Insinuating comments that I am a fool for buying a Millenia, or any other car for that matter, are just getting old.

There. That is my Good Friday rant. Hope all have good weekend.
    Quote billyperks: "I still think the 99-00 body stlye looks better than the 01-02.:)"

As I said, styling is subjective. There are probably even some who think the styling on all years of Millenia stink. I think they all look great except the older gold ones with gold badging. That combination just doesn't do it for me, and I don't care for gold badging on any color car of any make. Again, subjective. As long as we each like our own, that's what counts.
    I do agree that Millenia's body has a very nice beutiful lines unlike any other cars out there. I love my 2000 Mill's styling but, I like the taillights on the '01-'02 Mill's.

Anyway, Have a Great Weekend to All ! I'm gonna go home now, driving my beautiful 2000 Millenia S :-)

cheers
    fredvh, you can get a 2002 Millenia P with 4-season pckg for no more than $22,200 after the rebate. I don't know how long this rebate's gonna last, but $22K for an entry'level luxury car is one heck of a deal. Go to carsdirect.com and price the millenia P, then print it out and bring it to a dealer and have them price match it; I know most of them will match the price rather than losing sales to carsdirect.com.

I don't know much about engine, I'm sure some other ppl on this forum knows more bout it.

The 2.5l V6 engine also used in cars like Mazda 626ES, Mazda MX6, and Ford Probe, but their output is only 164Hp if I'm not mistaken , while the Millenia's is 170HP.

Good Luck
    I just went to carsdirect and for my area they gave a price of $950 over invoice for the base P. I cannot figure that.
    I have got my questions answered on the engine type from fwatson. Thanks.
    Thanks csuftitans for your help. I will have to see if the incentives will be continued after 4-1. It is too late to buy before 4-1 now(closed on Sundays).
    I saw a post concerning $5000 dealer rebate but I cannot find that anywhere. It might end on April 1 but I wonder if they will continue it. I have been looking at the Acura TL, Lexus ES300, and the Infiniti I35 but recently heard about the Millenia. This vehicle might fit my needs if I can get it substantially under the price of the TL(28K). How much should I pay for a base P with 4-seasons package (MSRP 29,195)?
    Also, what is the RPM at exactly 70 mph?
    Don't worry, mazda or the dealership will bring back the rebate for the Millenia P and S. There's no way they expect to sell the car at close to retail price. Be patient or better yet, go to a dealer ship and ask for the fleet manager/sales manager and ask for their bottom line price. try not to deal with a salesperson who wants to start negotiating from MSRP price.
    "go to a dealership and ask for the fleet manager/sales manager"

While I agree with what you are saying, I simply told the regular salesman I wanted their absolute lowest bottom line, no add ons to the contract when it came time to close the deal, or I would not sign it. He voluntarily took that to the sales manager, and within 10 minutes, they both came into the salesman's office and offered the car to me $7000 under MSRP, and eliminated the $995 stripe and wax add on sticker. That is almost $8000 below the window sticker price of $29545. My price was $21680 for a P without the 4 seasons. I live in central Florida where it seldom gets below 40 degrees, so 4 seasons is worthless to me.

I was offered the 6 disk changer for an extra $200, but refused that. Out the door for less than $23000. Stick to your guns, and as csuftitans says. Walk away from any salesman who starts talking MSRP. Mine actually told me we both know the MSRP and dealer add on are a joke. That's the kind of salesman you want if you can find him. Good luck, you'll need it with some of the salesmen you find out there.