Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    That was about posting a link Edmunds didn't approve of. ;(
  • fwatson: If I had a dollar for every hour I have spent in waiting rooms, especially for my wife's wheelchair van (Plymouth) I would buy out Mazda and retool for the 2005 Millenia S. I think I have finally got over my intial enthusiasm for my 2000 MM S. Even my wife asked me the other day why I wasn't finding excuses to go driving every day "just for the hell of it". We found out last February why that nice town is called Lakeland. fairwood
    "I think I have finally got over my intial enthusiasm for my 2000 MM S. "
    -------------------------------
    I don't drive just for the hell of it so to speak. But after two years it's appearance still surprises me frequently. My wife took some pictures at Punta Gorda last Sunday, and after they were developed and I was looking at them, there was the MM in the background looking unbelievably beautiful. It is extremely photogenic. And It is still the most enjoyable of all the cars I have owned. Similar from what you say, to your total. If it holds up as well as it looks and runs (so far not even a minor glitch) I'll have it for many more years just because I don't want to get rid of it.
  • AMEN to that. fairwood
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 332
    Both my 96 and 98 were absolutely trouble free. Never had to go to dealer for any adjustments or repairs! They were the best two cars I've ever owned. A pure joy. Wish I hadn't 'gotten tired' of the '98 and traded for a Catera. Huge mistake. Good to have 20/20 hindsight :)

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

"Catera"

I too admired the Catera. But just as Cadillac has done so many times, they took an import (this time Australian) and totally blew it. Thankfully I passed over buying one. I still see one occasionally and wonder how Pontiac will do with the Holden it is importing as a Gran Prix. Beautiful car, but from what I've read it is also trouble prone. We need to put the Ausies all in the Styling studio and keep them out of the engineering and manufacturing part of the business.
  • ... the old joke about Heaven and Hell:
    Heaven is where the police are British; the cooks are French; the auto builders are Italian; the judges are Swiss; the engineers are German.
    Hell is where the police are German; the cooks are British; the auto builders are Swiss; the engineers are French. Keeping the Aussies in the styling studio brought this to mind. The Australian version of the Millenia was called the Unos or something like that. I'm sure someone here will correct me. Feel free. fairwood
    Close, but you said to correct you.;-) I am posting the following because it has always interested me.

"20th October, 2000
    Millenia - new face, new name… okay, it’s new

"Mazda Australia has opted for a new name for its Miller Cycle engine powered flagship saloon. Previously the Eunos 800, it will now be known as the Millenia."

http://www.fastlane.com.au/News_Mazda/Millenia_800.htm

"Millenia is part of an unfulfilled dream. A decade ago, Mazda saw Lexus and Infiniti succeeded in entering prestige car market, so it established two new brands, Xedos and Eunos, for Europe and Asia respectively, to market the prestige line of cars. Two prestige cars were developed, Eunos 500 (Xedos 6) and Eunos 800 (Xedos 9), intended to rival BMW 3-series and 5-series respectively. The American operation Amati was to be set up before the company went into financial trouble. Mazda woke up from the dream.

The Eunos 800 (Xedos 9) is still surviving today, but no one cares about its brand name any more. In Japan and North America, it is simply branded as Mazda Millenia."

http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Mazda2.htm
  • I did not say you had to buy the "S" if you wanted the Bose.I said he wanted to sell me the "S" with the Bose radio.

I know the base car can be optioned out with the Bose, this sales guy just wanted to milk my pockets for 40 more horses(170 base 210"S") and a few more watts.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 332
    I'm with you. I also couldn't justify the price difference to get 40 more hp in the 'S'. But I did want the Bose and Cold Weather options on my car. I found the power on the 2.5 v-6 to be enough for my driving needs. It ran nicely on regular gas, too.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• Purchased a 2002 S almost a year ago with alloy wheels and winter package, and thought I would give an informed opinion as I now have 22,000 miles on it. Very glad, I purchased the S, didn't think the base model had much pep.

Overall, I love it and strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a quality car.

Haven't had any problems except for the tires due to hitting about 30 potholes last winter. That's not the car fault. Had to replace one tire last May, a Goodyear at $153 which was defective and was replaced last week by Sears at no cost to me.

Average mileage is only 20 mph which is disappointing. That does involve substantial stop and go traffic, though. Last week, had mostly highway travel and got 23 mph.

Have been using 93 octane but due to the high price of gas, I have used 89 a few times without any perception of decreased performance and there was no pinging. Plenty of pep when you step on the gas.

The car is so quiet at low speeds that it sounds like it not turned on. The night I bought it, I thought the engine had stalled out when I stopped at a stop sign! Of course I previously owned a Ford Contour which was very noisy. However, it is noisy when it is windy outside, more so than other cars I have owned. I'm not sure if this is due to the sun roof or from the tires.

Would like to get recommendation on regular tires and snow tires. It is terrible in snow with the regular tires.

Still love the looks of it and the paint job, sand mica. (Although I think the earlier models were better looking.) It is very distinctive looking. (The new flagship Lexus which costs 60K looks just like a Camry in in my opinion.) Bose stereo with 6 CD changer is great.

Air conditioning is weak compared to American cars. Luckily we don't have too many really hot days in Boston area. I will get a recharge next year and see if it makes any difference.

Leg room is tight. I am 5'10" (30" inseam) and if there was any less leg room I wouldn't have bought it. Is there a way to extend the seat? I don't think tall people would be comfortable in it.

Although it has the big 17 inch tires, I don't feel comfortable driving it much past 85-90. My Contour actually handled better at high speeds.

The transmission is much better matched to the engine then the 2000 models that I extensively tested. This is a major improvement in the newer models in my opinion. Also very little noise from the compressor. The earlier models that I tested seemed to be noiser.

Finally, does anyone know it you can buy a device to automatically turn the lights on when you start the engine?
  • Very enlightening, well written. Thank you for your valuable input. Many years ago it was the "fashion" to have an after market running light hanging out of the grill. This was years before it became mandatory in Canada and now or soon to be in USA. It was a simple 12v (or maybe 6v back in those dark ages) bulb that connected across the low voltage side of the ignition coil. One of the parts outlets must have something similar, Pep Boys, Discount Auto etc. This will be my first year driving a 2000 MM S in winter conditions. My wife and I have spent the last 9 or 10 years in the Tampa Bay area in Florida but my wife's MS has progressed to the point that travel is no longer an option. Previous owner installed Michelin 225x45/17's and they are much better than other Michelins I have owned. I think they are glued to the road even in tight turns. Reading tire reviews on www.tirerack.com I have come away with the impression that Continental Conti Extreme Contact would be a good tire to consider. It has a 8.9 snow rating which is very high. Like you, I worry about driving in snow - me for the first time in a decade. I had over 35 years of winter driving in many different vehicles but you never get used to it. First snowfall of the season and you learn all over again. These low profile tires may look good to most people but I am not a great fan of the look. The narrow profile leaves less rubber/air between the road (potholes) and the rim and it is easy to get a slight ding or dent. My left rear tire loses about 3 lb over a 7 or 8 day span. No visible damage on the outside so I suspect a dent or whatever on the inside. If I were to get winter tires it would be on 16" rims if I win the lottery and can afford a set of 4. Nothing on the Millenia comes cheap. I am looking forward to the heated seats - I have the winter package also. I have a suggestion ... we all move in with fwatson in warm sunny Florida starting in late October and stay until mid April. Just a thought. fairwood
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    slingshot1, just leave the light switch in the "on" position, shutoff is automatic when you turn off the car. That'll accomplish lights-on when you start the car.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    Slingshot1, I also have an '02 s but I do not have any problems with the leg room, I am 5'10" and have a 32" inseam. If you are talking about the back seats I would agree with you on the lack of leg room but not in the front seats.

As for mpg's I think 20-21 is what Mazda says you should be getting on this car in town. Your highway mileage is low, that should be closer to 27 mpg. I am getting 23-24 in town mpg and 27 on the highway. I am going to be taking a trip within a month through the midwest and I will see if the highway mileage goes up any.
  • I recently had the full 60K service done on my 2000 MilleniaS, even replaced all of the belts. I knew it was going to be expensive, but I was rather shocked when I stopped by the dealership and got a quote for $2250. So, I did my homework, searched on the internet and cartalk.com for area garages that could do the work. I found a place that specialized in Mazdas and had good reviews from people who had their cars serviced there. I had everything done, timing belt, plugs, gas filter, tire rotation, etc, even replaced all the other belts (not part of the dealer quote) for $1200. About half as much as a dealership and the garage was about twice as competent. Just remember that the dealership is not the only place you can get complicated work done on a MilleniaS and it pays to look around. I also recommend finding a garage where the people are enthusiastic about the brand and use real Mazda parts.

With that said, I'm still glad I purchased a Millenia. No mechanical problems yet and it still rides well. $1200 isn't cheap, but I like that car and if I keep it for another 60k without any trouble, it's money well spent.

BTW, someone mentioned weak air conditioning in their S. The recharge should take care of the problem.

John
  • Thanks for the above comments. With respect to the leg room, I like to sit back perhaps more than most people but I am always looking for that extra inch. I move the seat at different angles to compensate. On mileage maybe I drive too fast to get good mileage. I will look into the recommended snow tires as soon as possible. I thought that the lights might shut off after a while but I was afraid that the battery might die. I will try this and see how long it takes before they shut off.

On the noise issue, it generally is not a problem, especially with the Bose system. It is primarily when it is windy outside and it almost sounds like something is open which is letting the noise in. I'll try it in the upcoming hurricane!
  • Jmadams: $1,200 seems very expensive to me. Is there a lot of labor cost because they have to take part of the the engine apart to get at the belts, etc?

Unless there's some adjustment to the compressor that is necessary or some unusual item, it seems that most competent mechanics could do the work for less. I have been bringing it to a Mazda dealer most of the time for oil changes but I will see how much my regular mechanic will charge or see if he doesn't want to go near it.

(The dealer that I bought it from opened and closed in about six months. I still haven't figured out why. He has a large Mazda dealership about 50 miles from my home then opened this other one in a Chysler dealership about 20 miles away from me. That was the main reason, I bought it there and I also bought a warranty that is tied into the dealer somewhat with a "disappearing deductible.) I am going to see if I can cancel it and get some money back.)

It is probably a good idea to change all of the belts at the same time as a broken belt is probably one of the main reasons that the vehicle would break down.
  • I have a 1996 Millenia S with 80,000 miles. Occasionally when I am driving the rpm's will spike. For example I was on the highway doing about 70mph at 2500 rpms and without any additional pressure on the gas peddle the rpms spiked to 3500, stayed for 10 seconds and them came back down - anybody have any idea what might be hap pending? The dealer was at a loss.
    Do you actually hear and feel the engine rev up?
  • Very little, I do feel a little tug
    I was thinking you might just have a faulty tach. But if you feel a physical tug, you will need a mechanic to find out why that is occuring. It sounds like the ECM might be malfunctioning and causing the problem.

Good luck.
    Maybe it's just downshifting (or the torque converter is disengaging) to maintain speed on an incline? Even slight incline can do it at 65-70 mph, where there isn't enough torque to keep constant speed.
    Good thoughts tomekk. If he isn't used to the unique shifting of the MM transmission he might be incorrectly interpretting what is happening.
  • Welcome to driving the Millenia 2000 S in winter for the first time. Well with the OEM Dunlops SP5000 (215/50R17) on my 2001 Millenia S I had a nightmare last winter . I have just placed an order for Hankook W300 Ice Bear from tiretrends.com (a Canadian based internet site).
    This is a brand new performance tire for winter and I hope its as good as what the Canadian Hankook rep just told me - Hankook has also received a nod from Transport Canada for winter driving.

I was considering ordering the Extreme Contact, which has been highly rated at tiretrack.com for its great winter characteristics. But then I noted that its load index rating is 90. The Dunlops SP5000 has a load index of 91.

I really don't know the implications of going down one point, but a reputable tire dealer suggested that I stick with the minimum 91 specified on the decal on the door panel.

Other than winter, the Dunlop SP Sports 5000 is an outstanding tire. The tires need to be replaced shortly - after around 56,000 Kms.
  • I am glad you are enjoying your 2002 Millenia.

I was surprised though that you do not feel very comfortable going past the 80-85 mph (not kms I hope) and I wonder whether the (GOODYEAR) tires are the cause for this apprehension. I hope thay are V rated which is what comes standard with the vehicle.

I have 2001 Millenia S and have driven it, dare I say, at 110-115 mph (I am sure others have done better) without in the least feeling uncomfortable. I have OEM Dunlop Sports SP 5000 (size 215/50R17 which are V rated.

Please make sure you have the right tires.
    I was rather taken back by the complaint with the MM at high speeds. That is where it truly shines. I have been well in excess of 100MPH more than once, and constantly exceed 80 when passing on two lane crowned roads.

My "01 P is rock steady, and if you trust the tires completely you could take your hands off the steering wheel at those speeds with no problem.

Mine has the OEM Michelins which are V rated. But the V speed rating has nothing to do with handling. An excellent touring tire of S should be just fine at 100 or so MPH. It is rated for 112 MPH sustained speeds.

Other ratings, again this is only a sustained speed rating, not a handling rating which is a function of tire design.

S- 112 mph- 180 km/h
    T- 118 mph- 190 km/h
    U- 124 mph- 200 km/h
    H- 130 mph- 210 km/h
    V- 149 mph

If you have too much money and don't know what to spend it on, you might want to try one of these.

W- 168 mph- 270 km/h-Exotic Sports Cars
    Y- 186 mph---------- Exotic Sports Cars
    I actually liked those Dunlop SP 5000 MUCH better than Goodyear Eagla GA I had on antoher car earlier. Goodyears had strange "greasy" feeling even in the rain, forget snow.

And I also have to say that my MM S has excellent stability at high (80+ speeds) on the stock Dunlops.

Tomek
  • I have experienced flat/deflated front tires over the past year. My 2001S is just about 25 months with me. However, since 10,000 miles, I noticed having flats or deflated tires for no real reason. The mechanic (at 10,800) miles showed me the chrome alloyed wheels were corroding from the inside and results in the air leaks. I went on to replace my damaged tires with new ones from NTB. They continued to deflat. I lived with a shimmy for over a year. Recently, the front tires deflat every 15 days, and the shimmy makes my driving unsafe at high speeds. I complained to my local dealership who have charged me for wheel rotations, balancing and the works. No help. Finally I made a case that the wheel is solely responsible for my problems and would like them replaced. My dealer couldn't authorise that and spoke with the local Mazda rep - (Tom D?!). He claimed that Mazda only covers upto 12,000 miles. Today my car has 18,000 miles. I think I have a case to prove the wheel was bad before 12,000 - my tires were required to be changed at 11,000 miles with broken belts and requiring 6 ounces wts as indicated by local Mazda dealership when trying to fix the shimmy. I have paperwork to show a flat was fixed 5 days after the new tires were in! (all below the 12,000 mark). How do you suggest I proceed? I hate my chrome wheel - corroding away so bad. I fully expect and want Mazda to fix this. Quite frustrated - can't really use car right now. So unreliable from the tire perspective....how do you suggest I proceed?
  • To skspgh, Message # 2621

A bulletin was issued regarding corroded wheels on 2001 S. Here is a summary. Please follow up the issue with Mazda. I don't see why you have to live with this situation.

Make : MAZDA
                                                   Model : MILLENIA
                                                                     Year : 2001
                             Service Bulletin Num : 0200401R
                                                                     Date of Bulletin: AUG 14, 2001
                             Component: WHEELS
  • I have had my 2000 MM S since May 27 this year. I have aluminum rims, not chrome and there is some peeling here and there in spots, not large flakes as well as the usual curb bruises. My left rear tire loses about 3 lbs over the course of 4 to 6 days. Sometimes one or two of the others will lose a lb or two but I put that down to air temperature changes. I drive only a few thousand feet to the pump location so the tires are cold and have been sitting in the garage out of any early morning sun and I have a very accurate digital gauge. I now think I have a rim problem similar to yours in that air is escaping past these flaking areas. Not to the serious extent that you are experiencing by any means. These low profile tires are a different animal from what I have been driving on for decades, right fwatson? I would be most happy to change over to 16" tires or higher profiles and I think the ride would be a little softer as well. Also these low profile rims are much more prone to out-of-round pounding from ruts, potholes etc. Aluminum does not have the stamina of steel rims. I have hit a few of those 8-inch-across pot holes that you can't avoid unless you cut off that little old lady in the blue Lark. The sound is enough to scare you into imagining the flat spot on the rim.