Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    The GS300 and IS300 I test drove did shift better than my Millenia S (especially the GS300, but what else would you expect at 44K out the door) . . . I didn't test the ES300.

Tomek
    Yeah, I've heard it is a breakthrough in transmission technology. I need to find the time for a test drive!
    So, this tranny is supposedly as efficient as manual transamission, hence better acceleration than with "regular" slushbox. I'm sure 1.8T Tiptronic would be similar in terms of accelleration to Millenia P.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    Continously Variable Trasmission (CVT) is not really a new technology, it has been around for a few years, it is slowly making its way into newer cars. One of the weird things about CVT is that there is no sensation of shifting at all, the car just accelerates without hesitation, like if it was on the same gear. This weird sensation is probably why some people don't like this type of tranny (they are used to a noticeble shift). Now I must say, that when in manual mode, it is the best auto-manual I've driven so far. Very quick and responsive. The gears are virtual gears, they could add as many as they want, but Audi uses 6 gears for the A4. The other good thing about CVT is that it makes the car as quick as a stick shift, and just as economical.

0-60's are as follows:

A4 1.8T FWD CVT: 7.8 secs
    A4 3.0L FWD CVT: 6.8 secs
    Mazda Millenia P: ??
    Mazda Millenia S: 8.2 secs??
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    Quote:"The GS300 and IS300 I test drove did shift better than my Millenia S (especially the GS300, but what else would you expect at 44K out the door)"

My '95 Olds also shifts smoother under some conditions. Auto transmissions is one thing GM has under control. That said, I would consider my Millenia's shifting different, as opposed to wrong. My point above was that ES300 owners are griping about the shifting of their new Lexus'. I think in this type of car, we tend to get rather nitpicky for lack of something important to complain about.
    "we tend to get rather nitpicky for lack of something important to complain about"
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. When I think of the first car I had... that had some things to complaint about!!!
    Tomek
    For those of us who do our own maintenance, here is a list of 3 1/2 inch long filters that can be used in place of the stock 2 1/2 inch filters on both engines in our Millenia's.

I had posted it in the Oil Filter thread, and copied it over here.

=============================================

Long filters for Mazda Millenia P and S.

1-NAPA Gold 1356
    2-Big A 92356
    3-CarQuest 85356
    4-Deutsch D-370
    5-STP S-02867
    6-Fram PH7317
    7-Motorcraft FL822
    8-Purolator L14620
    9-Wix 51356
    10-Bosch 3323
    11-Castrol 7317 (looks like Wix)
    12-Penske 7317 (looks like Wix)
    13-A/C Delco PF2057
    14-Lee LF2867
    15-Champ PH2867

I think any Champion Lab manufactured filter with 2867 would also match, just a guess.

I didn't crosscheck Pure1, KN and others, but those two are also Champion.

An interesting sidenote. Many Japanese motorcycles use this filter too. That is where part of the information came from.
    I am using a Penske filter on my Millenia, and finally found confirmation that it is a rebadged Wix.

===============================================

" From Open Roads Forum

dan32240
    Gastonia

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2002 8:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am retired from Wix filters and the Napa Gold is run on the same production line as the same Wix numbers.We made filters for catapillar,Big A Ford oem,Carquest,Texaco.Make Penske now and the Silver Napa is also a pretty good filter.Used to make filters for Cat diesels but they got to picky and left.Make a lot of heavy filters for all big rigs."

There was a following post confirming this one.
    I know this is rather boring, but my '01 MM came without a cargo net in the trunk. I am about 80 miles from the dealer, so I can't go look at one very easily. What I'd like to know is, if I order a net, do I need to order fasteners to attach it in the trunk? I don't see any hooks or such to hold a net in place. If so what is the part # for them? Or do they come with the net?

Thanks
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Posts: 110
    The Millenia Cargo Net comes with fastners. I use my cargo net to keep my $500 briefcase from getting thrown around the trunk...so I do find it to be useful.
    I'll go ahead and order it then. I just wasn't sure if I would get everything I needed by ordering the net.

We use the net in our Olds constantly to keep groceries and other purchases from sliding all over the trunk and dumping the contents.

Frank
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Posts: 94
    Does Mazda or an aftermarket supplier have a rear anti-sway bar that could be installed on the P to attain some of the handling benefits of the S?
    If I could add the sway bar and 17" wheels to a new P and avoid the $1,500 - $2,000 60k service required for the S (due to the add'l engine complexity of the Miller s/c)I may not lose too much (handling)performance while saving some dollars. Is the S so much faster that its worth the add'l purchase and maintenance costs? Thanks for your feedback.
  • steevo2steevo2 Posts: 33
    Sometimes the auto tilt of the steering wheel does not engage. When it does, it has become very slow and labored. Local Mazda service tech says, 'probably a motor, they're expensive'. Anyone had this problem? Did you have to replace the motor?
  • nvedraninvedrani Posts: 58
    yes it worth the extra...yes it is that much faster and better....the P is a slug....and that $1500-$2000 is overstated...it should run around $700-$1000 (the P will also need some servicing but AT 60k miles) from "Actual" experience I have heard....also, it's been being rumored at almost Millenia websites that the timing belt change deal doesn'tneed to be done until like 100k miles unlike the P which will need it at 60k miles? Try finding other chat boards for the Millenia...very few use this one anymore....there is much more feedback in:

www.mazdamillenia.org then click on "forums"

hope this helps
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    It can be expensive....

up until recently the whole assembly had to be replaced to the tune of apx $1200....but rumor has it that you can now just buy the motor which is around $300.

Rich
    Quote:timing belt change deal doesn'tneed to be done until like 100k miles unlike the P which will need it at 60k"

Completely backwards.

P at 105000

S at 60000

Check the manual. I have. Also check Gates Belts site. I have.

I was the first signed up at http://www.mazdamillenia.org/forums/ and made the first thread other than the admin.

It is populated mostly by customizers, stereo fanatics and hot rodders. I read it everyday, but there is seldom anything of interest to owners interested in general maintenance and shopping information. It is a nice looking site though.
  • Has anyone replaced their cabin air filter? How hard is it? Do you have to pull the dash apart?
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    Why do people keep saying that the Millenia P is a slug? I had the car for three years (the 1999 model), and I never got left behind on the highways in the TRI STATE AREA.The car is very good for everyday driving, so please stop giving people the wrong impression of the car.
    I also test drove the "s" when I got the "p" and there is not that much of a difference.I think their 0-60 mph is about 1 second in difference.Now, you tell me if that is worth $3000 more out of your pocket,you got to be kidding me if you say yes.For the buyer who wants the MILLENIA I would advise you to opt for the "P" if you are looking for relatively decent speed and it will cost you much less in terms of maintaining in the long run."CARS DONT STAY NEW FOREVER THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED WEAR AND TEAR AND THATS GOING TO EAT IN YOUR BANK BOOK.
    NO OFFENSE TO ALL YOU "S" OWNERS.:)
  • nvedraninvedrani Posts: 58
    How can a 4000lb car with 170HP NOT be a slug unless you've been driving dump trucks your entire life????? Here are a few quotes that I used for reference from other sights (fwatson WRONG!):
    "Well-I have a '98 Millenia S and I have had no problems out of this vehicle. Extremely reliable-also the S timing belt does not need to be changed at 60,000 like the non-S millenia's. The S Timing belt goes until 100K miles. This is per Maz-Max in Houston. The dealer will tell you 60,000 however What are these "supposed" problems with the S?"

"Well, I can say I have never heard of any issues with the S, in fact I was going to consider trading it in on a new Volvo when the Service manager told me to keep the Mazda.. He said safety and reliability is great in the S other than the 60k service (which is debatable).
    Plus the S is uniqe and are not a dime a dozen.. I have had my S for 20k or so and run the hell out of the car.. My gas milage sucks, because I do not keep my foot off the floor.."

"Definitly go witht the S type if you love to drive. I just got a '99 S, comes with traction control standard, and the driving difference is night & day b/t the 2.3 and 2.5. I dont know what this guy is saying about high maitanance, ive talked with ppl at the dealership that say they love the car, and one guy just bought his 2nd one! As far as i know through research and reviews, both engines are great, but the 2.3 definitly gives a lot more pep."

Now, Frank just b/c your MUCH oldre than most people on those boards definitely doesn't give you the right to bash it. And please don't reply and tell me I'm wrong again when I'm simply quoting others peoples "proven" references. Thank you in advance for refraining from your typical rudeness.