Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    I can take a joke, but your response did not come off as one. Anyway, water under the bridge...talking about a jokes, I played one on my wife, told her why don't we trade her Millenia it's breaking down already...she wanted to kill me (she loves her car). :)
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    I'm glad we got that cleared up. I am not here to fight with anyone, and am aware of your car situation, as you are of mine. With luck, that will be the worse problem you have with the MM. And if that is the biggest problem I have with mine, I will be thrilled.

Good luck with both of your cars. They're good ones.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    I guess what worries me more about having our car's engine taken apart is that they might break something else in the process of trying to replace the knock sensor. Call me paranoid, but I've heard horror stories about that, specially with dealers.
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Posts: 110
    I had the auto-dimming mirror w/compass added to my 01 Millenia S last week. Enjoying it so far...a lot easier to see out of at night than the regular mirror. Paid about $260 w/installation after a 10% off coupon from the Mazda dealer.
  • obioha1obioha1 Posts: 27
    i went in for an oil change about 6000miles ago and i requested for the synthetic motor oil as I have been doing since i bought my millenia some 42,000miles ago and the service man at the mazda dealership told me that mazda sent them a bulletin that all s models should not receive synthetic motor oil. This was at gillman mazda in rosenberg,tx. I was previously in austin getting all of my oil changes at roger beasly south but they never once mentioned this to me. My millenia has been absolutely trouble free except that since i switched over to regular grade motor oil, the oxygen sensors has been broken on two different occassions. Both were repaired under warranty. I'm figuring that this is just a coincindence, but maybe not. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or experience any O2 sensor problems.
  • ecanadianecanadian Posts: 2
    Help re. 2.3L Miller engine: is it interference or non-interference:
    - 3 dealers said: interference;
    - 1 dealer said: non-interference;
    - lots of posts on the internet said: non-interference;
    Which one is it?!? And how can I find out for sure (any link to web adress?)

Thanks a lot in advance.
    The 2.3 V6 is between the ====== signs.

The Gates Belts site shows the same ie, it is NON-interference

Mazda Engine-Interference---Replace

1.5 -------------No --------60,000

1.6 -------------No --------60,000

1.8 (4 Cyl.) ----No --------60,000

1.8 (V-6) -------No --------60,000

2.0 (SOHC) ------No --------60,000

2.0 (DOHC) -----Yes --------60,000

2.0 (Diesel) ---Yes --------60,000

2.2 ------------Yes --------60,000

2.3 (4 Cyl.) ----No ---------N/A

=========================================

2.3 V-6) --------No --------60,000

=========================================

2.5 -------------No ---------N/A

3.0 ------------Yes ---------N/A

3.0 (MPV) Yes 60,000

http://autorepair.about.com/library/diy/bl_timing_belts-4.htm

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Change the Timing Belt when reccomended. I have experienced bad Gates info first hand.
    You are of course correct about changing the belt on time. However that chart is not from Gates. But it does corroborate the information on Gates and all other sources I have found for the Mazda 2.3 and 2.5 V6 engines. They are both NON-interference engines, and will not suffer damage if the timing belt breaks.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    2.3L S is non-interference engine, I had asked the service manager before I bought Millenia S (I wouldn't buy a car with timing belt and interference engine).
    Tomek
  • ecanadianecanadian Posts: 2
    the website link.

I don't understand why the service guys at 3 dealerships would say "interference" if this is a non-interference engine!

Personally I'm quite surprised to see Millenia's 2.3 L as non-interference - most of high reving, DOHC, etc small Japanese engines are interference - e.g. all Hondas/Acuras, all Nissans (but e.g. Altima which has a timing chain), many Toyotas and Mazdas.

BTW, my brother changed the timing belt in his 87 Acura when it had 230,000 km - he regreted doing it since the belt was in perfect condition!
    Quote:"I don't understand why the service guys at 3 dealerships would say "interference" if this is a non-interference engine!"

Being that the salesman I bought my P from argued that the S does NOT have a supercharger, I am not in the least surprised.
  • ryanduderyandude Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 96 s and my battery went dead. After I recharged it my bose stock sterio asked me for a code so I tried to enter it but I must of forgot it and now the sterio is stuck saying ERR. So it will not work at all.The dealer wants 75 dollars to reprogram it and I don't have the money. Does anyone know how to reprogram it and could they tell me how please. Thank you
    I got this from a Google search. You might try also doing a search with Google using words such as bose theft code reset. Try other combinations of words and good luck.

Quote:"Q: What happens if forget the code to my stereo's anti-theft feature?

A: In a word: DON'T! Write it down. Then again, if you're reading this, it's probably too late (i.e. you didn't write it down) and now the stereo is locked. It's probably locked because you either disconnected the battery or removed the stereo. Well you have 8 tries to put in the right code. After the 8 incorrect time, the stereo will display iNOp and you won't be given any more chances. On cars with a "Mute" button on the steering wheel controls, just press it and that will get rid of the iNOp for another 3 tries. If you don't have the mute button to reset it, turn the car (or at least the accessories) on for an hour and the iNOp will go away giving you 3 more tires. Still no luck? Go for another hour and give it another 3 tries. After that and you still don't get it, you're going to have to go to a dealer where they have a factory code to unlock it."
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    Is this Bose anti-theft code on all the Bose systems that Mazda has put in or did they stop this. I know that this was popular in the earlier to mid 90's on most car stereo systems. If this is a norm then I was not told about it on my 02 S. Then the question is how do you get your code because nothing is mentioned in the manual about it either?

I have another question to fwatson, or to any one else, I am going to be taking a road trip later on in the year and I was wondering what are the pros and cons on the Mill for a long trip? I plan on driving any where from 500 to 800 miles a day.
    Mine is an '01 P. But I can't imagine, other than a slightly stiffer ride, that the S would not be as good on the road as the P.

That said, I took a 3000 mile trip with mine after putting 800 local break-in miles on it. To make the story relatively short, the P is a fantastic highway cruiser. It performed flawlessly on the trip and is a very comfortable place to spend hours on end. Mine has the standard sound system, which is an excellent listening experience. If the Bose is better, it must be fantastic. All in all, I don't see how you could beat it for the trip you are planning. On the interstates running well in excess of the speed limits (it was either that or get run over by Georgia farm boys in elevated four wheel drive pickumups flying up behind you with lights flashing), I averaged about 27 MPG on 87 octane gas. The S requires premium though.

Negative? I can only think of one thing other than the rude Georgia farm boys. The car is very low, and going down the mountains north from Chatanooga, Tennessee sandwiched amongst about twenty semi-trailor trucks running around switchback curves at 80 MPH, was somewhat intimidating. I would describe it as running blind surrounded by two story buildings going almost a mile and a half a minute.

That's longer than I meant to write, but it really is a fine highway cruiser. I now have 7000 trouble free miles on it, and changed the oil and filter at 3800 (after the trip) and 6500 miles as the only maintenance other than checking tire pressure, battery water etc. I'll rotate the tires at 7500 just to even out wear, even though there is no sign of abnormal wear on them.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    Thank you for the information on the ride. I know what you mean by the pickups that you need a ladder to get into them. I have a couple of months yet before I go on my trip, it will be about 2800 miles round trip. Although I am not going down south I will be going through the mountains out west. Speaking of mileage I just filled up yesterday and I am getting 24 in town. If you think this is a fluke the fill-up before this one was 23.8. I admit I use a very light right foot. When I get back from the trip I will post highway mileage since it seems to come up about every couple of months. Thanks again.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    I recently took my '01 S on a close to 500 miles trip - me + 2 people + luggage in NH mountains. No problems, got over 28 mpg going 70+ all the time.
    You seem to be getting VERY good mileage in town, I get more like 21mpg (OTOH, I do redline it every now and then...).

Enjoy your trip -

Tomek
    To round out our milage discussion. For the 7000 miles, I have averaged about 20 city, 27 highway. And an overall average of about 22.3. Not high, but not bad for a relatively aggressive driver, not a hot rodder though. ;-)
  • maw1982maw1982 Posts: 62
    Hi,

I went to my local dealers to look at near-luxury cars. I wasn't expecting to look at millenia but the salesperson showed me some program cars. I drove one ('02 P with no options) and was not impressed with its power and features. They were around 20-22k for about 10k miles.

Then the salesperson showed me an '02 S that has been sitting on the lot for a couple of months (people see the price and overlook it) that they want to get rid of. It is the colors I want (silver ext., gray int. and chrome wheels) and is completely loaded (4 seasons, CD changer, chrome wheels). I drove it and was very impressed. I was given a ballpark figure of $26k for price.

Is this a good deal? I am not in a big hurry to buy so I told the salesman I would wait and see if the car sits longer (therefore a better deal). Should I try an drive down the price further?

What are everyone's opinions on this car? The reviews I have read are not encouraging (not worth the price, bottom of the barrell). For my job I need a "champagne" car on a "beer" budget. I told the salesman this and he immeadiately showed me the milenia (even hough I wanted to look at the XG350L).