Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Looking to buy. Answers please.

jmtiseojmtiseo Member Posts: 10
edited October 2014 in Lincoln
I'm looking to sell my beloved 02' F150. I would like to say I have outgrown it but I haven't. I'm looking for an American made luxury sports car, so I was interested in knowing some information on the Lincoln LS's. First, I really like the looks of this car off the bat. I would like to have one with a V8 but I could possibly be persuaded to one with a V6 (either way it's an mpg improvement).

I would like to know common problems. I read about leaking valve cover gaskets, COPS(these are a problem on f150's too don't worry), and something about a window regulator. Is there anything I'm missing?

I would also like to know how much would I be looking to spend for one that's hopefully in the 75,000 mile range, V8 with the sport package, I'd like the earliest year as possible but wold like to stay around 6, 7, or $8,000. I do not know how much I could sell my truck but I think it would be around that.

Comments

• jmtiseojmtiseo Member Posts: 10
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I went back in time and looked at older posts that were now about 2 years old and this is what I came up with.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They got steadily better so the later years are better (03-06). They're great cars to drive but you can expect a few expensive repairs. However, they can be bought so cheap it can make it worthwhile.
    I figured it was going to be something like that. The same goes for the 97-03 f150's.

What do you consider an expensive repair. I think I can save a lot of money doing it myself if it's anything less than pulling the motor or trans.

I'm just looking around right now I won't be able to do this until the summer as I'm in school until May and I'd like to get back to work before I make a purchase. Have to sell the old rig too.
    I don't remember dollar figures, but expect to replace the COPs (coil on plug) at some point. Can be DIY but it's a little bit of a pain. Valve cover gaskets need to be replaced on some early models (pre 03 I think) and that's also a pain but should have already been done on most vehicles - just check to make sure there's no oil leak.

The cooling fan on the pre-03 models is hydraulic and can be expensive to repair/replace. In some cases the tranny valve body has to be replaced (03-04 I think) but again that should have already been done.

Anything else is probably minor. If you go with the 03-06 and make sure the tranny shifts ok you're probably in good shape.
    COPS are nothing new to me. The modular V8's have them and I've had problems with them getting wet and arcing causing them to fail. I take it that bad valve cover gaskets cause oil to leak into the spark plug galleys? Same with head gaskets on my 150 leaking coolant. How would I go about checking the valve cover for any leaks or if the gaskets were replaced?

On the post 03' models are the fans electric? I'm hoping that I can sell my truck for a considerable amount more than a Lincoln LS in case something does go wrong I have money to put into it, and of course to have money to do what I have planned to do to the car.

What do you mean by the tranny shifting ok? Avoid one that shifts real firm or something else?
    It's not the COPs themselves - it's getting to them that's difficult. Yes, the valve cover gaskets leak oil in the plug wells which cause the COPS to fail more quickly, but they can fail even without that. Basically just look for oil in the plug wells or anywhere else near the valve covers.

Yes, - post 03 uses electric fans so that eliminates one potential costly repair.

Just make sure it shifts normally and doesn't hesitate, stick or shift really hard. If there is a problem it should be obvious. Most of the tranny problems occured during the warranty period so if it had a problem it was most likely already fixed. If you know a Ford service mgr they can run an OASIS report on the VIN to see what's been fixed on it already.
    I understand the difficulty and the finesse needed to get back to them. COPs would be the least of my worries at this point.

Let's say that I went the 00'-02' and the hydraulic fan fails. Is there a way to install e-fans to get rid of the hydraulic fan?

Ok, I will probably have my brother with me when I go for a test drive he knows more than I do about cars. It sounds like that the bulk of these cars problems, if I get one with around the mileage I want, should have already been taken care of if it was properly maintained.
    I've heard some that used electric fans but the reason they didn't use them from the factory was that there wasn't enough juice available for whatever reason. But it's certainly a possibility.
    Ok I just posted my truck on craigslist so I'll be able to get a better price range for an LS once I get some replies to my ad.

I have a question regarding the double din receiver capabilities. I have one in my truck now and love it. Will I be able to put a double din receiver into this car, will it fit?
    I think so - it uses the standard Ford double-din "Brick" radio. But if it has the THX system you might not want to change it out.
    Ok, because I had to cut some of the dash to make one fit in my truck and it had the standard Ford double din. What is so good about the THX system? I would like to be able to plug a usb thumb drive into it or an ipod or something so I don't have a plethora of cd's to haul around.

Did certain cars come with the THX system. If so which ones?
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    It's a double din, I've seen some with THX, mostly '06's, I'm not sure what other years. I'd stick with 2nd gen (03-06). Valve covers were fixed by then, among other things.

I have an '05 with the V6 I've had for 2 years with no problems. I did replace the stereo, and have been using the usb with the thumb drive like you want to,
    It's great plugging in a month of music and not changing out CD's. :D;)
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    It was optional on all of them - you should see the logo somewhere. It has more power and more, better speakers and was custom tuned to the interior. But it won't do mp3s off of a thumb drive.
    That's the year that I am looking for. Is the THX system good enough to where I won't want to put in a pair of subs and speakers in the doors?

Question regarding the V6. I really want a V8 but does the V6 still have good pep. I want a car that has performance but luxury. I don't want European and I don't want a Cadillac. I heard the V6 is more reliable, but I really want a V8!
    Some LS's came with a subwoofer. I assume the one's with the THX did. I'm not sure how good the door speakers are but they are easy to replace. The THX also has speakers (I think they are tweeters) in the console. The V6 has 230 horsepower and is adequate, good passing power. It's obviously not as smooth and powerful as the V8. The 5-speed auto keeps the revs up so the power is usable. My LS seems faster than the V8 1995 T-Bird it replaced. I do miss the sound and smoothness of the V8, though.
    That's what I figured the THX system was, navigation, extra speakers, and a subwoofer. I had a pretty good system in my truck. I'd like a nice one tucked into the truck of this car when and if I get one too. I'm still up in the air about the V6 or V8. For price reasons I may get the V6. It's more of a look that I'm going for and I just haven't found it yet.
    The audiophile system had higher power and subs (and the console speakers in the early models). It was pretty good on it's own.

The THX system is similar but uses higher quality components and, most importantly, the system is tuned to each specific vehicle (including making changes to the vehicle interior in some cases). The result is a very high quality, clean sound. It will not deliver thumping bass - that's not what it was designed for.

Only way to really know is to listen to it since everyone's taste for music is different.
    Thank you for your assistance so far. I'm going to have to wait until I find one to test drive first. Kinda hard to do now that I am down at school.
  • dslamadslama Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if the LS has a Traction-Loc Rear End?
    No, it does not and it's not readily interchangeable with other Ford differentials. It uses electronic traction control. It has been done but it's not easy or cheap.
  • markantneymarkantney Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 06LS/V8, everything but Nav and it's traction control and I'm here in N. VA where we just had major Snow Storm(s) and the snow removal crews are excellent on major roads but lacking on secondary and neighborhood roads and I was stuck only once (and it wasn't traction control), I was unknowingly almost in a soft median.

I shopped high and low and the LS had MOST luxury features for the $$$$s by far, and I'm certain because they stopped making them (in 06) it devalued them even more.

I also own an 02 Ford F150 SuperCrew and I've barely driven since I bought the Lincoln LS. I've put over 6kmiles on it since Oct09. There's very good prices on them. Good luck.
    The're definitely nice cars for the money. I've had my '05 for almost two years and it's been great. I'm getting a miss now and then so I'm gonna have to do the coils but that's to be expected.

I just bought a set of wheels from an '06 and had new Eagle GT all-seasons installed. I hope this makes mine better in the snow. I love the '06 wheels, I was gonna get aftermarket but none looked better than these.
  • markantneymarkantney Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a set of rim/tires, 18"-245/35/18 Bridgestones, replacing the factory 17" Non Chrome (I hate the Non Chrome but love the Chrome factory set) but I couldn't find them anywhere reasonable. I did like the Michelin's that were on there. My first time owning a car with them. And I see why folks swear by them but I'm too cheap, so I just buy other tires and SWEAR:):):)

I purchased them with Rims/Tires/balanced/Lugs,... I only had to mount them and pay an additional $30.00 delivery/handling charge for about $1350.00

Oh, I've had no issues thusfar, except a rear Window Regulator, though it's under warranty, I'll probably just fix it myself.

Too much time/money, waiting on parts, travel,... going to dealers.

I've had to replace Coils in my truck, if you go online, they're not nearly as expensive.
  • gk_lsegk_lse Member Posts: 4
    I have the V8 on a 2002 LSE and it's a rocket. Earlier reviews said the V6 was lacking enough power for this vehicle.
  • antoniukantoniuk Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2011
    Well you probably made your choice already but if you're still looking hope you will find this info/advice helpful. Very few cars came with the THX system. If you find an LS with the THX system I wouldn't change the system at all. In case your wondering it's also not worth trying to install a THX system from one car to another it is not a strait forward swap and will require major electrical modifications. There is also an audiophile system that is the next step down from the THX and it sounds pretty good too. For an aftermarket upgrade it is better to have just the basic 4 speaker system as you can replace the speakers with some high quality component speakers in the doors and keep the factory radio intact if you like. If you want to change the head unit (stereo) the car can fit a double din radio. Don't listen to Crutchfield for some reason they think it won't fit. I think this is because the aftermarket installation kits for the double din did not come out until 2005. Maybe their installer that checked the car out is just plain stupid or something. The Metra double din kit is a perfect fit and there are two versions. One is a black colored kit and the other is silver. The silver is perfectly matched to the LS interior color (they used the factory color to match it). You can do a web search and find it easily online. The Sosche kit only comes in black as far as I know and word is they don't work as well as the Metra kits. As far as speakers the doors have 5x8 in the front and rear door panels but you can do an easy mod and install a 6.5" component set in all four doors for the best sound. On the rear deck there are 6.8/6x9 cutouts on the rear deck even if the car has no speakers mounted there. You can do an easy mod and install a 6.5" sub or 6x9" sub or even an 8" on the rear deck lid underneath on the trunk side. See my other post just search here in the Forum for Lincoln ls speakers and it should come up. There I talk about how to take off the door panels and how to access the rear panel deck location. By the way some of the LS's with the audiophile system had factory 6x9 installed on the rear deck. If so they are also using a factory amplifier which is located on the rear quarter panel behind the trim in the trunk and also there is an amp mounted on the rear deck between the 6x9's. If you have the audiophile system you can just swap out the speakers for a nice upgrade and keep the factory amps in place.
  • crysharnettcrysharnett Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into finding one myself. Just recently after driving my brother in laws for two days and falling in love!! I just want to say great questions. Reading these posts have helped me alot as well! :)
This discussion has been closed.