Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• Just returned from a 1500 mile road trip in my 01 Silo GLS. First time for a long trip. I averaged 25 MPG according to the overhead display driving at 70+MPH. Not to bad.
    But I have to spend some serios time checking for the rattles and stuff coming from the rear area. Drives me nuts!!
    I am checking out the speakers and side panels. The rear bumper seems to be OK. But I did find the front bumper screws were loose and had provided some irritating noises.
  • dhintzddhintzd Posts: 12
    When we had our 99 Silo, we also developed a nasty rear rattle. Took it to the service body shop, and they discovered that part of the clip, or screw, or whatever, that was holding the rear wiper motor in place had worked loose. They tightened everything up and didn't have another rattle. In our 01 Silo, so far everything has been quiet with no water leaks.
  • I was at the dealer today for some routine maint and I was talking to the salesguy. He said that Old's will not be stopping at 2001 for production on van's. In fact the 2002 should be available in an AWD version. This new AWD version was also mentioned in an auto review magazine I was surfing at the book store last week.
    He said that Old's sales are stronger than ever.
    Maybe GM over reacted by creating it's demise?
  • mrushingmrushing Posts: 5
    My wife's driving our new Silo (2100 miles). She says there's an annoying rattle in the back. Today she thinks she figured out that it's the rear windows; rattle was there with the windows closed and stopped when she opened them. For what it's worth...
  • yzfyzf Posts: 65
    Have a new 2001 Olds Silo. Great van - very pleased! One thing I'd like to add is a top bumper step. I noticed that a lot of other minivans have rubber pads on top of the rear bumper (i.e., DC, Toyota) and that older GM's did. Anyone know where to get one that will fit the 2001 bumper? Tried the GM dealers and they claim nothing out there - even prior MY's.
  • salesrepsalesrep Posts: 17
    Try some of the auto accessory catalogs like JC Whitney. I think they have a web site.

I know what you mean. If you stand on the bumper it will scratch. A nice pice of ribbed rubber would stop that and also give some "traction" when standing on the bumper.
  • My 01 Silo had an annoying squeak when driving over rough pavement. Traced it to the window rubbing against the weather strip on the drivers side sliding door. I opened the window and sprayed some silicone lubricant on the rubber all the way around the window, and haven't heard the squeak in over four months.

Mikey
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    Well, I just got back from the dealer. We ordered a 2002 Silhouette Premiere AWD. The dealer says that it should be here in 3 or 4 weeks. Here is the breakdown:

Item...............MSRP.....Invoice....GMO(my price)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Base ......... 35450.00 .. 32082.25 .. 30487.00
    Options ........ 675.00 .... 580.50 .... 560.25
    Destination .... 655.00 .... 655.00 .... 655.00
    Advertising ...... 0.00 .... 361.25 ...... 0.00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total ....... $36780.00 . $33679.00 . $31702.25

Plus, we get to use one of our $1500 Oldsmobile loyalty coupons and get the 5 year warranty (we normally drive about 10,000 miles a year).

Options List (we got literally everything)

YF5 - California emmisions
    ABG - 6 passenger seating (all captains chairs)
    UC6 - 6 CD in-dash changer
    V92 - towing package
    Y11 - gold package
    VK3 - front license plate bracket
    K05 - engine block heater

Indigo Blue exterior with Mocha Two-Tone leather interior
  • missedbassmissedbass Posts: 47
    check the fit of the rear quarter window to the body of the van. if the glass is too close to the body it will touch when you are driving. Had that problem on mine. the dealer made the adjustment. end of rattle.
  • missedbassmissedbass Posts: 47
    bigfig, what did the dealer say about the problem with the temperature not being accurate.
  • jeff002jeff002 Posts: 3
    Did you see where any 2002 Silhouette pictures are ?? I can`t find them on any web sites.
  • I have a 2000 Silhouette GL with 15,500 miles and absolutely love it. I have had only the typical small problems( pull down strap on hatch and passenger seat cupholder) that were covered under warranty.. Now I have been noticing a pronounced wind noise around the driver's side door edge and windshield. It is noticeable even in light breezes, but is more pronounced with a strong crosswind. The door was made to close tighter, but the problem persists. This isn't the black cowl at the base of the windshield. I'm sure it's around the door or mirror.(Happens on passenger side too). If anyone has had this problem and has a solution, please post a message.
  • jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    You may need new seals around the doors. Have the dealer check all the rubber seal around all doors. I had a similar problem thought it was the cowl---wasn't. Was the seal area..
  • dolan2dolan2 Posts: 1
    Either I am going crazy, or the horn on my '01 Premier is honking for no reason. It has happened 4 or 5 times when I am just driving along. I am positive I am not squeezing the steering wheel and just inadvertently honking it. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I have a 2001 GLS w/10K miles and I have noticed lately that when I make a hard right or left turn that the steering doesn't want to center itself back to normal. As a result the van will want to pull to the right or left for a mile or so. Then it is OK. Dealer says that it sounds like a steering rack.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their Silo?

Thanks
  • judypazjudypaz Posts: 1
    My 99 Premier's horn honked every time I hit a bump in warm weather. Even without hitting any bumps it was ultra sensitive and went off if you just brushed by it - I just took it to the dealer today and had the "horn pad" replaced. It was covered under the warranty - the dealer was aware of the problem.
    salesrepmn:

I didn't have your exact problem with my 2001 Olds Silo Premiere, but when I picked it up from the dealer, I did notice the steering wheel was cocked slightly to the right even when the vehicle was tracking straight. I had the dealer realign the steering wheel. Now it seems fine.
  • bigfigbigfig Posts: 35
    Missedbass, just saw your request about the sensor. Brought to dealer and they changed the sensor. So far no problems.This vehicle is mostly driven by my wife and she hasn't complained that it hasn't been working. I spoke to service manager and he told me that a few vehicles have come in for this service. Resetting the overhead readings per owners manual are only for the compass.I will be driving the vehicle tomorrow and will try to check the reading. If any problems will advise. I keep all copies of the work orders that the dealer gives me and it states that vehicle was inspected by service manager to assure your concerns were addressed and corrected. The service advisor even called me at home about three days after the work was performed to see if everything was okay. I have gotten to know the service advisor and he seems to look out for me when I go for service. I only have about 17000 miles and have been there just about every 3500 miles to have oil changed. I know the owners manual says 7500 miles, but I feel $19.95 is pretty reasonable and like to keep the oil fresh since the vehicle is hardly driven that much.
  • dhintzddhintzd Posts: 12
    We had a 99 GL that developed the same problem, cept it was when we turned the flashers on or off. It was just one honk, not continuous. It was around the same time we noticed that when we moved the HVAC controls from defrost to vent, or something along that line, it made an awful groan from under the dash. With about 4000 miles left on factory warranty, we traded it in on an 01 GLS. So far we have had no problems 'cept with the radio reception when we first got it. Turned out that the onstar wiring was interferring with radio signals, and had to have new coax installed.
  • For those who are interested, I lost a remote and purchased another from the dealer. I successfully used the following instructions previously posted in another discussion to reprogram two remotes including an original and the new remote. The dealers will sometimes charge to perform this task. I believe this procedure is from the shop manual and can not be found in the owners manual.

-----------------------------------------------------

Once the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information, requiring the programming of all transmitters.

Program only 1 vehicle remote control door lock receiver at a time. If more than 1 receiver is being programmed at the same time, it is possible that the same transmitter could be programmed to more than 1 remote control door lock receiver.

Perform the following steps in order to program the transmitter:
    · Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    · Remove the BCM PRGRM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block diagram.
    · Close all of the doors.
    · Close the liftgate.
    · Turn the ignition lock cylinder to ACC.
    · Turn the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, and then back to ACC within 1 second. Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the system enters the BCM programming/diagnostic mode.

Important
    After 7 seconds, a chime may be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

· Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds.
    · Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed.
    · Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    · Install the BCM PRGRM fuse back into the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block diagram.

Important: Be careful and be sure which fuse you pull.
  • I had a similar problem with a squeaky steering wheel (sounded like styrofoam) with evidence of white powder on the steering column in our 1998 Silhouette. Took the car to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. This problem took 2 visits and over 3 days from the service department to investigate, get parts, and fix, but all is OK now. Apparently they replaced a bearing in the steering column.
  • A short story from yesterday's soccer game. We got there late and had to park halfway on a mound of dirt (closest we get to offroading). The front/passenger side was up on the dirt mound and the rear driver's side was in a little ditch. We opened the rear hatch to unload. When we went to close it, it banged hard and wouldn't close. I had to carefully push the hatch to the passenger side to get it lined up with the catch. I thought it was interesting how little it took to twist the body out of alignment. We'll try to find level ground from now on!

Other than a few rear end rattles, we still like it. It goes in for the 3000 mile oil change this week.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Posts: 168
    Purchased a 2001 Silhouette GL yesterday for $323 over Edmund's listed invoice. This $323 includes a $50 processing and tire fee that the dealer said is added to all car sales. Did not get the $2000 cash back, as we opted for the 5 year, .9% GMAC financing.

I was seriously considering a Sienna, but the .9% was hard to turn down. Toyota and Honda don't offer such deals. Chose the Olds over the Pontiac and Chevy because of the 5 year/60K warranty.

We really like the new van, it is quiet and has a smooth ride. The cargo space behind the third row seat is quite good at 24 cubic feet and the flip and fold rear seats can increase luggage room even more. It also has more options than similar base models from competing Japanese rivals. Finally, at 72 inches wide, it fits well in our garage.

As far as build quality, my wife's 1988 Olds Delta 88 has 178,000 miles with the original engine, transmission, and computer control module. In other words, the three most expensive and critical parts of the car have done well. Many small things with the Delta 88 have gone wrong, but repairs have usually been under $400 and aftermarket parts are reasonably priced. I hope this latest GM product does better with the small things. We hope to keep the van for 13 more years!
  • whodgeswhodges Posts: 1
    I have been looking at various mini vans for a couple of months now. I have always liked the Olds. Anyway a dealer in the northern VA has about 15 Premieres for $27750 each. They were event cars used for the Boy Scout Jamberi. We picked one out and everything on the van is in excellent shape. It only has 600 miles on it. I figured just enough to see if there were any problems with the van.

With taxes, tags, ... it comes out to 29K and change. The dealer is unwilling to go any lower.

I think the price is fair and thoughts...

Thanks
    Whodges:

Wife and I got a new Silo Premiere earlier this summer. Paid $200 over invoice (in NOVA) for a brand new one. You're price sounds pretty good for a Premiere - especially since there's not much left to add on to that trim version of the Silo. We got the power driver's side sliding door, tow package and hitch, and gold package as extras above and beyond the Premiere pacakge. We also opted for the rear fold flat bench vs split fold down or rear captain's chairs.

The van is great - we really like it. Great features, great ride and handling. The only thing that really really sucked was the dealer. Although we settled on price quickly, the dealer kept screwing up things. For example, we were missing a set of cordless earphones for the entertainment system (dealer tried to give us a cheap-[non-permissible content removed] corded version instead), they installed the wrong hitch (1.25 receiver instead of 2 inch - got it for free as a result), they installed the wrong trailer wiring (didn't use the factory provided wiring), didn't clean the van before delivery, didn't do a walk through with us, didn't adjust the steering alignment before the delivery (we had to wait a WEEK before they could fix it - and they were told to adjust it BEFORE we picked up the van. I even saw the sales manager tell the service manager about it), lost our wheel lock key when servicing the alignment, etc. etc. All in all it took them nearly a month to fix their screw-ups. Nothing was really wrong with the van except some minor adjustments and screw ups they did - it just took them half a dozen tries to get it right. They eventually did come through - but not without a lot of yelling and complaining on my part. The dealer, btw, was Koon's of Manansass. So make sure you keep an eye on them if they're the one you're buying from.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Sounds like normal Olds service. Here in Lansing, Mi. which was the home for Olds all the dealers were the same as yours. I finally quit buying there products the same as many others, I guess that is one of the reasons they are going to stop building them. Poor service don't bring repeat customers.
  • Bought my 01 GL (silver) in mid January. Now has 25k miles (no, that's not a typo!). I use it as my company car.

Van has done very well. Did the recall service on the power sliding door latch, but other than that, just gas and oil. At 3500 miles a month, I'm in the oil change place every month.

I do have a broken hinge pin on the dash storage bin. I'll get that fixed one of these days. Looks like the whole bin is one piece.

Not too happy with the tires (General XP200). They started thumping around 70 mph. when I had them rotated and no amount of balancing will solve it.

Drove 1700 miles this week, and got 24 mpg hwy.

mikey
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    Mike.

Re your tires. I would suspect that the problem is that the steel carcass inside the tires is beginning to break down. Although the tread may look OK, it is impossible to balance the tires once this starts to occur. You are doing some heavy duty mileage

A trained technician should be able to tell by feeling the tread for bumps.

Rgds
  • dave231dave231 Posts: 17
    I have noticed a smell in my 97 Pontiac transport.
    There seems to be water leaking in through the e-brake cable grommet. Has anyone else found this problem. I also noticed that most of brake line holders on the drivers side underbody have broken. Has anyone seem that problem????
    I welcome any info.
    Dave at: ufpa97@hotmail.com
  • jdlanajdlana Posts: 2
    My 97 Olds Silhouette developed a water-logged underside body connector after only 55k. Fuel gauge went, antilock brake light lit, and the car ultimately stalled while driving. This connector is bolted to the underside of the car and transmits power to the fuel gauge, wheel sensor and fuel pump. Anyone else experience a similar problem?