Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• jackjtjackjt Posts: 178
    Was a pain to replace! Had remove a bunch of stuff---my son did it for me. He normally has a good deal of patience, this one stressed him. Have a mechanic do it.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    Agree the air filter is like wrestling with the Devil. Far more difficult than made out in the handbook, especially trying to hold cover back to extract and insert filter.

On the lights, it would be worth putting some clear silicon sealant around the edge. Secondly, remove the bulbs and use a hair dryer to clear condensation from the inside of the lens. Then leave to cool down.

Another post on the Chevy Venture site, mentioned that there are rubber air vent tubes on the backs of the lamps and should be turned from present position 90 degrees. Have not looked at that as do not have a problem, but not sure if you can do it. Believe they point downwards
  • thrlskrthrlskr Posts: 3
    I was seriously considering the purchase of a new, 2001 Silhouette. It has great features, excellent warranty and generous rebate now that GM is shutting down Oldsmobile. I knew the depreciation would be steep, but I calculated I would just about "break-even" compared to higher price I'd have to pay for a Honda/Toyota after 5 years. So I was feeling pretty good about the Silhouette until I researched the safety tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

I don't want to get into the merits of one safety test versus another - I know that no accident I (or anyone in my family) will be involved with will ever EXACTLY recreate scenarios used in labratory conditions. On the other hand I do believe in using any information available to me to protect my family from future harm. After reviewing the images and description of the GM minivan's performance in the "offset" crash test, I had to exclude the Silhouette from consideration. Check out the link below if your considering the purchase of a Silhouette or its Chevy & Pontiac "peers".

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

For the record, I bought a Honda Odyssey ...

• jabummyjabummy Posts: 1
    Waiting on my local dealer to fetch my Premiere from another dealer -- the $0 down/0%/0 payments until 2002 helped me pull the trigger now. Was going to buy early next year but why wait? Rate when it does kick in is 7.9% for 48 months. Went through the GM Buy power and asked for prices from dealers in 250 mile radius and ended up paying a couple hundred over invoice (and best offer)to buy local, plus they do all oil changes for 3 years. Getting the Ruby color, my wife liked Teal but the dealer couldn't find one on any dealer's lot within 500 miles. Should be picking up in a day or two. Liked the ride/feel of the GL we test drove and will give our impression of the new Premiere after a week or so. Told my kids I was getting them a TV with a van on it...
    Congrats on that new Silo. We have a 99GLS, Indigo Blue and have really enjoyed it. It has held up well with only minor problems thru 22000miles. Like the Premiere as well, but since we have no children the TV would have been useless. Along with the Premiere Package, I think you also get the Touring pkg which gives a better ride and more aggressive tires. That's the only option, I wish we would have gotten. Good Luck!
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I heard originally that dual power sliding doors would be available after the first of the year but where are they? Some sites list them as available but with no price and some say nothing about them. The GMbuypower site gives them as an option that you can check off but has no price. Has anyone gotten this option on their 2001 Silhouette?
  • vanman94vanman94 Posts: 4
    Thrlskr is right, the crash test pictures for all GM minivans are sobering. The Astro did okay in full frontal impact, but the minivans all look horrible. Anyone who is considering the Silo should really look into the safety. Every time a crash test is conducted on a GM vehicle, the company immediately sends out a letter about how "these tests don't accurately simulate 'real world' accidents..." Well, that doesn't excuse poor crash tests. What criteria should a company design a safe car around?

I, too, bought the Odyssey. Five stars all the way around, and performed slightly better than the Windstar in offset crash. Look at the pictures of the GM vans compared to the Ody/Sienna/Windstar.
  • kdupraykdupray Posts: 3
    We purchased a 2001 Premier Silo back in December and have been extremely happy so far with the van. The one question I have is as follows: Over the past few months and ever since my husband tried to get the compressor in the back to work (we need to take it in to be looked at because it is not working), my van seems to ride a little harder, like there is something wrong with the suspension. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it possibly be that the air suspension isn't working along with the compressor? I would sure appreciate any thoughts on this subject. I prefer to go into the dealer armed with as much knowledge as possible so they can't give me the run around.
  • I can not speak to the ride problem you my be having, but the compressor not working may be the same problem that I had with my 2001 GL. Two weeks after getting the van I tried the compressor on the kid's basketball and it would not work. I could hear the compressor kicking on but it was not delivering air. The dealer took a look and found the hose on the inside of the panel leading from the compressor to the output nipple on the outside of the panel was disconnected. He hooked it back up and now it works fine. I did not detect a change in the ride after he conneted the hose, but then the ride was fine to begin with.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    We have same feature on Chevy Venture and from time to time you can hear the compressor cut in to reset the shocks. Try with the engine off and put ignition key into the accessory mode and see if anything happens.

Secondly, I have found the ride quite sensitive to the tire pressure and of course that depends on the accuracy of the gage. Venture is 35 lbspsi all round.

Good luck
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    Has anyone added running boards to your Silhouette? If so, where did you get them?
  • deuce56deuce56 Posts: 46
    Edmunds TMV says that an '01 Premier w/ Trailer Tow, Gold Pkg, and 6 Disc CD changer should be $31, 552. I live in Ohio and the edmunds pricing guide mentions 0.9% Financing and $2000 customer cash rebate. Does the TMV include the rebate and can I use the financing w/ the rebate or is it one or the other, but not both? Thanks!
  • robfilmsrobfilms Posts: 5
    i'm looking used and doing my homework.

i know in 98 got chair-mounted side impact air bags. was wondering if anyone can tell changes in 99 models? or 2000 model? or 2001 model?

any and all opinions are appreciated.

tia

rob
  • elsmithelsmith Posts: 2
    I traded my 2000 Saturn LS1 for a loaded '99 Old Silo Premier last Saturday. Had to run and pick up my daughter at ice skating lessons. When I returned the dealership had had a "mishap" and one person left the hood open for the oil to be changed while another decided to take to have gas filled up and run on interstate to check for vibration. The hood blew up and busted the whole front windshield out, dented in the roof, and the whole hood will be replaced with new. I had already signed papers and everything. It just had passed the mag. warranty of 37700 miles. We have asked, besides only accepting it if it is fully fixed, for an extended warranty for the trouble, for FREE! Should I consider anything else? Actually this dealership bent over backwards for us and we got a great deal on it. Now I am presuming it will show "wrecked", anyone know?
  • deuce56deuce56 Posts: 46
    I have a '98 Silo GLS and am currently negotiating on an '01 Premier. The things I see different include the cup holders (improved), traction (gls/premier stand.-gl available), stowable 3rd seat, tri-zone heat/AC (gls/prem), and easier reclining mechanism on all captains. The 8-way power seats (heated - new) don't have a lumbar support mechanism (disappointment).
    Remember that there is 2000 rebate along with GM/Olds loyalty of 1500 AND 5 yr/60,000 warranty on the '01s. New might be as cheap as used.
  • there are minor differences between the 98,99,00 models. more changes in the 01 model--16" wheels,new grille, round fog lights, larger screen on the vcr,5 more hp in the motor, different instrument panel, and some other odds and ends but basically the same car. looked at used and new. found a 98 with 30k ,looks like new. bought an extended warranty and still saved over 12k. that was enough to keep me from buying a new one. so far it was the right decision.
  • I'm looking at a 99 Premier with 27K on it. Warrantee expires in Oct. Is it worth getting it extended? They are asking $27K (cdn). Anybody have any thoughts?
  • elsmithelsmith Posts: 2
    I am purchasing a "99 Premier Silo with 37K on it for 19,175. It is out of warranty and I do not feel comfortable without getting an extended warranty. It has so many bells and whistles I think it is worth it. My dealership is "giving me FREE" an extended 3 more years/36,000 more miles for the "accident" they had with it when they took it to test for vibration. See posts # 255. They of course are paying to have it fixed as well. Hope this helps. If I had to buy it I would.
    I've got one with 22000 miles and probably WILL get the extended warranty! Good luck----FYI to date I have had no problems with the Silo:-)
  • van out in the parking lot for 10 minutes in full sun. BIG POP back window is shattered and window is bowed out. dealer has heard of this before but never seen it. 98 GLS 30k. any ideas on what caused the window to blow out?