Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• wholiganwholigan Posts: 148
    OK, you ask for feedback, here it is:

#1. Since when is backing into poles not "unusual". I would suggest learning how to drive first...

#2. If you do wreck your vehicle, I would hope that your insurance would pay for the repair as opposed to having that money come out of your pocket (I would hope). Given that, how much would it cost to insure each vehicle in the stat that I live in (Minnesota) through the larget automobile insurance company in the U.S. (State Farm):
    With identical coverage on both vehicles-
    2000 Silo GLS $492.15 every 6 months
    2000 Ody EX $570.63 every 6 months

#3. Since you are obviously an Ody owner or advocate, may I suggest you use the appropriate forum under which to express your opinion. That would be #1037 - Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS vs. Honda Odyssey EX.

And no, I dont own a Silo or Ody. I am looking to purchase soon and have been doing my homework for a good nine months. I am glad people have opinions and are winning to express them; I just wish they would do so under the appropriate venue.
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • marleahmarleah Posts: 7
    What a coincidence; we seem to have something in common because "no, I dont own a Silo or Ody. I am looking to purchase soon and have been doing my homework." I am at a loss as to why I was attacked so nastily when I was making a simple observation and inquiry into possible quality issues, which concern me far more than the offset frontal crash test results that have everyone in an uproar. I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my first post so I will attempt to clarify my thoughts.

I have been interested in buying a silo but the consistent nagging question of quality persists. For example, in regards to the Silhouette and her sisters (Venture and Montana) the Popular Mechanics website states "...from behind the wheel they're unpolished--even crude. Their interiors are noisy, the ABS groans... and the plastic in their interiors is awash with flash and ill-fit..." and I can quote others. From reading past posts I know that I don't dare quote Consumer Reports here, LOL!, even if I completely trusted them. This conflicts with statements from owners who like their vans...a lot! I guess I've been doing so much research that my head is spinning from the arguments and different opinions.

Allow me to explain the logic behind my previous post and clarify my question. Part of the official GM response to the IIHS frontal offset crash tests was that this particular test shows a very rare, "UNUSUAL" kind of accident; I believe the number was .0004% of all accidents. OK, sounds fine. I think people are focusing to hard on that one particular test. The test I reference is about the vans being hit (or something hitting the van) at 5 mph. As the IIHS-HLDI website states, "Bumpers should protect car bodies from damage in low-speed collisions, the kind that frequently occur in congested urban traffic. But many don't."

I firmly believe that fender benders and low-speed collisions are indeed "not unusual", at least in comparison to frontal-offset crashes. I know that cars are designed to absorb a certain amount of the crash and therefore some damage should be expected. However, for a van to inflict $560 of damage from this (note I said "ludicrous") much less $2,600 is to me frustrating and amazing. I may be the eternal pessimist, but maybe my Dad is right in saying car companies do this on purpose to make money in their repair shops!

********** My question is: Is it unrealistic of me to expect that a minor fender-bender should cause a minor amount of damage/cost? Or is this a reflection of poor design and/or quality? Does this then reflect overall on the vehicle and possibly the manufacturer? If I pay $25,000 for a van, shouldn't I expect it to maintain integrity (pieces not fall off within a month of purchase, not be in the shop for a week because a moped hit it)? If I pay for the bells and whistles (or in this case, the audio and video system) is it likely to malfunction or be of poor quality? I know that every car line produces the occasional lemon, but are they lemons or overall flaws? Am I just THINKING TOO MUCH? LOL...insanely...********

Wholigan, you are being rather naive if you don't think the insurance money is coming out of your pocket one way or another. The more the insurance companies shell out to repair your vehicle, the more, ultimately, we all pay in premiums! They'll also want to use aftermarket parts to trim costs. Low premiums for a silo are a good point and one that has been mentioned several times. That's one of the reasons I've been looking into buying one. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally who has owned one, so I have to rely on others for input. (I know lots of Caravan owners, all of whom have replaced their transmissions before 50,000 miles, but that's another forum.)

[BTW, I have been in 4 accidents in my life. The first was at age 16 when, ironically, I did indeed back into a pole (I can explain that it was dark and there were no rear-view mirrors in the car I was driving, but it was still not my proudest moment). The others were when I was t-boned at high speed by a car thief running a red light (my first new car *sob* sustained $14,000 damage but I just had a sore neck); rearended by someone going 50 mph who mashed me into the back of a van (I walked away from my utterly destroyed mid-sized sedan with 1 small scratch and gave birth to a healthy baby a few months later); and rearended again--this time in my husband's new car--by someone with no insurance (I was at the time taking my baby to the hospital for surgery, yet another gloriously crappy day). You don't have to explain to me about accidents, insurance co-pays and premiums, LOL!]

I deeply apologize for what could be perceived as posting an "Ody vs Silo" point here; since those were the two vans we were considering at the time of the posting, the numbers jumped out and stuck with me. Please allow me to rephrase the statement:
    "If you do it [back into a pole or other object or get rearended, etc. at an extremely low speed] in a new Quest, you'll pay @$240 (which I consider ludicrous), do it in a Silho and it's @$2,600!?!! Criminy!!!" Better?

You know, "I am glad people have opinions and are winning to express them; I just wish they would do so under the appropriate venue." I also wish they would do so somewhat politely and without jumping to conclusions!
    B*I*G H*U*G!

In no way was I trying to attack you! I found it a little odd that the crash tests got mentioned, kind of out of the middle of nowhere, and then you had to use the O word...

No dissertation - just a couple of comments...

The driving comment was a cheap shot. I am sorry.

"Is it unrealistic of me to expect that a minor fender-bender should cause a minor amount of damage/cost?" No.
    "Or is this a reflection of poor design and/or quality?" Is this a fair statement? Can you correlate the quality of the vehicle with the how the vehicle performed in a bumper test?

"Wholigan, you are being rather naive if you don't think the insurance money is coming out of your pocket one way or another." All I did was relay the quote that was given to me by State Farm - nothing more - nothing less.

You are correct; we are in a similar boat. I will be buying soon either a Silo or Ody. I am fighting with myself because I have had an excellent ownership experience with an Oldsmobile (see #11 above). I am really tired, however, of the pro-Ody crowd and their insistence on how they have the best minivan in the world. This vehicle has been out for less than two years!

All I really wanted to do was make the case for the right post in the right venue. You gave me the opportunity so I took it - Sorry if it came off as abrasive!

And yes, I probably would not have posted a thing if you had used the Quest comparison... ;-)

Happy Researching!
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Posts: 152
    Get out and drive them. Buy the one that suits your ergonomic preference, driving style, interior layout, etc. All this armchair research would make anyone batty!

We chose the silo cause the driving experience suited us best. The interior concerns raised by pop mech are so absurdly petty.

Folks, draw your own conclusions based on your own experiences and stop tormenting yourselves with this silly rheotoric.

It's so much easier to find the vehicle you need by ACTUALLY sitting in it and driving it!

The insurance rate differential is true. So why sweat the higher bumper repair expense on the silo when the NET cost to you is the same, no, actually cheaper due to lower premiums?
  • SAhladasSAhladas Posts: 35
    Amen black current, as usual, we see eye to eye on this one. Now that you have read the trade rags, go out and take a look yourself and get those synapses firing, use make the decision YOUR, not PM, MT, CR, .....

I see the 'cheap plastic' statement comment made on the GM frequently, I must not recognise cheap plastic when I see it, because I've owned a GM for over 2 years and like the interior and nothing has been broken of wacked out of alignment. It is ironic to see PM alledge the GM is noisy, since I believe it is PM that publishes sound pressure levels that say it is a quite vehicle.

Spending $25K is a lot of dough for most anyone, but it is suprising how people can latch on to little things and let it bias their decision. Probably the most amusing thing you will find here in the Vans conference is a 30 post discussion on the best cupholders.

If price will be a factor, figure the Ody at list and the GM at $200 above invoice for comparison.

So what are you waiting for?? Go out there and drive a Ody and GM, don't listen to anyone on the internet, they're all nuts (except for me).
    Thanks for the voices of reason! I'm breathing deeply now... Hmm, buzz words to avoid in posts: crash test, Ody, Consumer Reports... P-D

Problem is we only have 1 car and husband has it at work until laaaate plus Saturday, and dealers are closed here on Sunday. Stuck at home with the kids & Web, no wonder I'm going nuts, unable to get out, actually look and compare.

(Unbelievable irony but last night we decided against an Ody because we couldn't see/test one; this morning dealer calls to say they are on the lot, $500 down and drive it away!)

All of this may be lucky timing for us, though, because there are such unbelievable interest rates right now. If we are getting a NEW minivan with full warranty, that calms my nerves.

My focus on the bumper test is because 1) no one else seemed to notice it, 2) the price differences were so big! 3)to me it is representative of the manufacturer's attitude: "Toss them some cupholders and they'll be happy", 4) previous posts were arguing over validity of 1 test. Well, here's test #2, again not in favor of certain vehicles. Trend? Despite my crash record (all in Honda's, BTW) I'm not obsessed with the crash ratings, but these are my kids I'm thinking about. I need as much help as I can get to keep them safe!

Again, we all pay for the expenses incurred by insurance companies. It eventually comes out of my pocket one way or another; this maybe goes under the same heading as good fuel economy or environmental friendliness.

I need to test drive and find a dealer I'm comfortable with. (Hah!) I totally agree with the keep things in perspective, and in the right thread. wholigan, "venue" is an interesting choice of words, BTW. Makes me think of hockey rink, boxing ring, and that isn't far off the truth around here! So we'll see what happens today.
  • gregoryngregoryn Posts: 2
    In looking for a Silo here in Florida, I found one dealer in the area (within 30 minutes) that would bring the car to my home for a test drive. You might try that approach. I found that Auto Nation dealers were very net-centric. When I did go to a dealer that I had conversed with over the net, I was treated with much courtesy as an informed buyer. After the Silo we wanted was still on their lot a month later, I called the salesman with a trade-in/offer which I thought was quite fair, and they accepted it. Of course, saying you're gonna finance the car will normally get you a good deal.
    At 0.9% for 0 months, there was no other choice.

BTW, we've got 1800 miles on our 2000 Silo GLS and love it. The power door (we have 6 and 9 yr olds, plus a 7 month old) is so convenient that the driver side rear door is rarely used (just when I wash the van). Of course, I rarely get to drive it... Overall, it's a big improvement over the 1993 TranSport we had, where if you were over 5 feet tall the last row of seats was off limits.
    My parents have a 1999 Silo, and I seem to see more and more of them on the road each day.
    I thought i was seeing more of them myself. I think folks are getting the idea they're a good value.
    Sorry you have trouble getting out for the test drives. I have two small children myself and i can relate to the difficulties involved. And it becomes consuming too, i understand. Just try to take your time and ENJOY yourself. Getting a new vehicle should be fun!

Keep us posted..........
  • ra1der5ra1der5 Posts: 86
    For those of you who are considering purchasing a Silhouette, don't forget to go to the GM Silhouette web site. Fill out the form, print it, and receive a $50 Blockbuster Video Gift Card for test driving the Silhouette.

http://www.silhouettevan.com/default.asp?section=silbb
  • jwhibjwhib Posts: 4
    I've been reviewing alot of remarks on edmunds about the SILO, VENT, & MONT. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe each one of these models have the same identical engine etc...
    We're looking to buy one of these three for various reason. Winstar/Seinna/MPV was to small, TC,GC, (Ody is a RipOff) very plain inside and out, Magic seat isn't all what it is to be. Rather have fold and roll chairs(better option)

Any how if anyone can help understand why is it that most on SILO do not have Tranny problems, few on the VENT, but alot on the MONT, why is that one model would have more trouble than the other when the engines are the same. Any insight/information/opinion would be grateful.

Thanks
    Joe
  • SAhladasSAhladas Posts: 35
    These three have the exact same power train, whch happens to be pretty mature. Where do you see 'a lot of tranny problems on the Montana'?
    Well it seems that people on the montana boards here and other websites are complaining more about the tranny on the Montana's.

I was wandering why since the engine as you too say are the same?
  • krafty81krafty81 Posts: 1
    As far as powerplant/tranny, all are same, I have not seen any tranny probs with Montana or any of the others...
    Nah, that definately is NOT a common problem with these. Ask any mechanic or the beloved consumer reports if you wish. Even they couldn't stretch that one!
    I want to thank you all for you info, I will be hoping to get ourselves a minivan this weekend.

It was a dogfight between the Olds and the Pont

Well we've settle on the Montana. I find the the eight seat was more agile then the Captains Chair although I love the captain chair to, the only problem with it is it does not flip and fold. so if I was to haul a plywood (4x8) i would have to take all the chairs out. but not so with the 8 seat because they all fold down.

We were going to get the Video deal with the Montana, only to find out I can't believe they are charging 2750.00 for it, looks like I will head to the aftermarket and get the same product for 1200.00 installed. Unbelievable at how the try to rip you off on this.

again I thank everyone's information.

Joe
  • pdr2pdr2 Posts: 6
    I actually have one, a 2000 GLS bench middle row, bench 3rd row. I chose this over the Venture and the Montana. I got my Silo for with more standard features than the other 2 for $2500 less than the other 2. My engine and transmission are super smooth, and quiet. I have been traveling for work lately and had to use car rentals at my destinations. When I return, wow, it is nice to get a good high (for a car) clear view of the road in front and behind (and sides), to not hear the engine roar, and did I mention smooth shifting? I did not get to test drive a Honda. I understand that they are supposed to be really nice. For the price, from the GM options, I had to choose Silo. although the Chevy dealers warn about poor resale for Olds. as opposed to Chevy, but for the same car? with more options? That left me with Honda or Silo. I heard about Honda tranny problems, and being that it was relatively new at the time, December 1999, (I said relatively, so please don't jump on me), I figured the GM engine and transmission had been around a while, plus my numerous test drives (they actually had one I could drive) proved to me that 185 hp is enough. I hear that Sienna's are finally coming out with an extended model (that is what I had been wishing for!) but again, that will be a new model with for my taste 2 years before I will purchase a new model (too new for me, even if it is a Toyota!) Anyway, test drive them, and in the case of Honda try to sit in one in the lot if they won't let you test drive one. Check out seating positions, decide what you will use the car for, people moving, long trips, both. The Sienna, Mazda, Quest, were too small for us. 4kids plus traveling. Oh, did I mention great gas mileage. If you don't need the extra space, Toyota is supposed to get excellent mileage, Mazda gets poor mileage (even with a tiny engine). I could not convince myself to buy a Ford so I did not want to try the Windstar although it was is my size range. That is another discussion in itself.(Sorry Ford owners). Any questions about a Silo. I would be happy to answer.
    We bought a van! We lucked out and came across a '99 Silouette Premiere with less than 17,000 miles. Through our credit union we got a great lending rate and a special deal on the extended warranty. Total cost was under the Ody LX, so...

Used the web to narrow it down to 6 which we test drove. The interiors of the Windstar, Caravan and Voyager were awful for the money; we hated driving the GC. For $500 more invested in details, these could have been sooo much nicer. Seems like almost all the used vans have huge mileage! It was down to the new Sienna or Ody because the Silo was too expensive, but then we found this used one. It was the best option we had. If the Ody had a split rear bench, well...

I'm not completely thrilled with the interior, several places where plastic parts are cheap and/or have to be replaced under warranty. But with the extended warranty I'm a lot more comfortable and I'm definitely relieved to have a used van with some scratches and marks; 3 kids under 7 would trash a new van too quickly, LOL!

Thanks everyone with advice. See you on the road!
    Sooooo... Gotta know... What did you pay for it? How good is the warranty compared to the GM warranty (were you offered a GM warranty?). Does the warranty cover the video system? (I keep arguing about the merits of a video system in the car, however, after 16 hours in the car this past weekend with a five year old and twin three year olds, I really like the idea now ;-) ) I am concerned about the durability of such a sensitive electronic equipment in our extreme (-20 to >100 degree temperatures) Minnesota weather.

Congrats Again!
  • pdr2pdr2 Posts: 6
    I know you didn't ask me, but I will give you my thoughts on this topic. You can go to Radio Shack and spend $250 on a portable, battery/AC/DC television that you can take anywhere (park, lake, even in the house) connect the Nintendo/Playstation to it and your set, instead of $2000 for the non-portable, only in the car flat panel video system. Whenever a car is sold, the big bucks are made by selling aftermarket bells and whistles (like extended warranty, scotch guard, paint sealant, etc). I was offered a GM extended warranty, $1200 or more for 5 year/60,000 total warranty. You can get 7yr/72,000 total warranty from Warranty Gold for under $900. Warranty Gold is what I use on my Astro. They have several options, and payment plans. Edmunds' recommends them, that is why I looked them up and price compared/benefits shopped and found them to be the best, also. I hope I am not intruding too badly into your conversation. Have a nice day! Oh, one last interruption, my Silo. cost me under $22,000 (brand new 2000, no it was not a Premiere, I bought the TV on sale for $150)
  • chinadadchinadad Posts: 1
    We are considering one of the GM mini trio and leaning towards the Silo. So far, in visiting 2 dealerships we have yet to find a salesman who understands the operation of the power sliding door on the passenger side. For those of you who have used this feature:

1) Can the power door be opened and closed with the keyless remote entry system, or must you first unlock and open the driver door and then press the overhead panel switch?

2) Does the power door lock automatically when the van is in operation? In other words, are the rear passengers (i.e., kids) prevented from opening the door by accident?

Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket TV/VCR.
    Yes, unlock the driver's side with first push, then ALL the doors with second push, then open power door with it's button, ALL from the remote.

The locks are programmable and will lock automatically once the van is placed in drive.

We love the power door in ours!
  • amom2amom2 Posts: 1
    You will need to hit the "Unlock" button on the keyless remote twice to unlock all of the doors, then hit the automatic door button on the keyless remote. If you push "Unlock" once, only the driver's front door unlocks as a safety feature. The automatic door is locked once you changed gears from Park so that a child could not open the locked door from the inside. There is also a disable button for the door on the overhead panel.

We bought our 2000 Silo Premier in February and have put 4,000 miles on it. It is wonderful. We have had no problems, great gas mileage, and love every gadget. I had not intended to get leather seats, but really enjoy them (easy clean-up) especially with the heated seats on those February/March cold days! If I could just figure out how to share this warmth with the kids' car seats.

The entertainment system helped the miles fly by for our pre-schooler and toddler during 1200 mile trip last month. I also put in a video after Sunday Church to keep them awake to each lunch and then nap at Home! :)
    First, be certain to ask your dealer about the Blockbuster $50 credit for test driving a Silo! You can print out the form at http://www.silhouettevan.com/default.asp?section=silbb

$21,965. I felt pretty good about it overall, especially as the K's Blue Book value was well over $25,000. We weren't planning on getting the Premier but it was the best used van of any kind we found so we took it. We had a hard time justifying buying anything new other than Ody or Sienna as the value dropped so much the 1st year.

It is the "Pinnacle Protection Plan" from National Auto Care extended warranty package, $700. It covers everything almost exactly the same as the GM warranty...except the video system. It includes roadside assistance program, towing, etc. so we can drop AAA. I too am concerned about the long-term reliability of the video, etc espec since Cons Rpts lists electronics problems for every model year.

We were going to get a new Ody and do the add-ons like CD and roofrack, and eventually video. If you do that, just make certain the video equipment is SECURELY mounted inside the vehicle, not just "kinda wedged" in. It could do a lot of damage to the interior of the van (not to mention your kids) if you have an accident. I also just saw results of a study that shows that carsickness ratios for video equip mounted on ceiling are lower than on the floor. ;-) This stuff is actually not a new idea. My sister had a conversion van with aftrmkt video system back in the 80's!

Power door will be invaluable when the baby comes next month. My 3 yr old can climb in unassisted on that side while I do the babycarrier on mine. Just a note, out of all the vans, the only door he could open by himself was the Ody's. They moved so easily! And the rear door wasn't heavy. The Silo's is getting even harder for me to shut as my center of gravity is shifting. And the Silo's seat belt cuts across my neck uncomforably if I am leaning forward at all.

BTW, about the previous concern of mine about the 5 mph crash test results? Well, guess what happened 4 days after we got the van! It was a fender bender in a parking lot, and their insurance will cover it, but yes indeed it is TWO days in the shop and $1,200 repairs! Thank god the corner panel didn't get damaged as well. LOL! What foreshadowing! If it was a movie you wouldn't believe it, would you?
    That was a sick foreshadow... May it come back from the body shape better than new!

Wondering if you had taken it for a longer trip yet. My neighbor said he got 28MPG going to Chicago (from Minneapolis) over the Memorial Day holiday (26MPG on the way back).

Please let us know... EnjoY!
  • cook301cook301 Posts: 9
    When I read there are no problems with Olds transmission I find this hard to believe ! ( Look back and see my earlier post) I have had three transmision installed. The Dealer that I bought this from was and is NO help what so ever. They would not supply me with a vehicle to drive while mine was being repaired. The Service Manager read the OWNERS MANUAL to me and pointed out it says ' may ' offer a vehicle not 'shall'. After a week in the shop I had to contact the 800 number and ask them to assist me. This got the Dealer ( Roby's G.M. in Marysville, Ohio )to supply me a loaner. I was not treated well at anytime from this Dealer's service department. Theu had the Van for over 15 days. After 3,000 miles it did not feel like it was shifting right and it was emmiting a high pitched whine. I returned and ask them to check this out. They did and claimed no problem. Well transmission #2 went out. It would hardly move the vehicle. I had it towed to another Dealer in Columbus. There evaluation was it needs a transmission. When I told them of the previos repair they still had no problem and wanted to take care of my problem. They offered a vehicle to drive while they did the work. They also had a total positive attitude.
    Nevertheless I have had three transmissions and now this # 3 has a problem. It is as if it is slipping when I take off from a stop and turn either left or right. I am in the procses of LEMON LAW evaluation at this time.
    And I am the only person with transmission problem ? Look in the shop next time you are at a dealer. I've had my share and will not go back to GM for furture vehicles. Difinately not ROBBY'S.
  • kklotzkklotz Posts: 19
    I just ordered a 2001 Premiere. There are a couple of new options that may interest you when shopping. The first is a power assist on the Driver's-side door. The second is a third row of Captain's chairs that replace the current split bench. The standard arrangement in the third row, for which I opted, is a new arrangement that has some kind of "activity table" with the seats. The dealer doesn't yet have any information on that seat, but the Captain's chairs in the back take the seating capabilities down to 6 people. Another new option is Chrome Wheels. Pricing hasn't been finalized, but my dealer is selling the van at $400 over invoice--and I'm OK what that. I currently have a '97 GLS that has 70,000 miles on it. I've had my share of annoying problems with it (I chalked it up to 1st year production problems), but after driving other vehicles, I decided the Silhouette is a good ride for the money. I did buy a TV for my GLS that works with AC/DC/Battery and it's great for long trips with the kids. It just takes up a lot of room during those trips and I'm hoping the built-in version will help with resale.

If your interested, your dealer can place the order starting tomorrow. Delivery is scheduled for August.
  • tauberjtauberj Posts: 61
    Well, I've experienced one of the leaks I've read about. I've had my 2000 Premier for six months and today, my wife got a flat. Check the jack compartment to make sure the tow truck guy placed everything back and found water in the well (about 1 quart of it). I suspect a faulty seam-seal in the wheel well as there was a lot of road silt in the wheel well also. Anyone else have water in there jack compartment? I've done the wet-carpet test based on the other posts i've read and have never had wet carpet. Other than that, absolutely love the vehicle.