Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• What model year on your olds. Was it the 2000 model of the 2001
  • It is a brand new 2000, it now has approx. 1000 miles on it.
  • One more thing to check on for water in the jack compartment is the seal where the power door cable enters the rear. Our '99 had this problem and the dealer installed a baffle under the outside door track cover, completely fixed, no more leaks.

Taillamp moisture: We had one like this, had the entire assembly replaced. The moisture will rust the internal connections and eventually ruin the assembly. The problem is that some of the seals between the two halves are not up to snuff (they are made by Britax, the car seat people). If you have moisture in the lamp(s), get the dealer to replace them now.
  • I experienced the Jack Compartment leak. I took the van to the dealer and told them that the water in the jack well was silty. Thus, I suspected the leak was in the wheel well. The dealer siliconed the seam in the wheel well from the outside and siliconed the interior (front wall) of the jack compartment. I have not experience a recurrence of the problem. I'll keep a vigilant eye on this to ensure it does not recur.
  • I have noticed on several vans I have seen the listing with the radio it states - - radio data system (RDS) what is this and what does it do? I was wondering if it would give you weather or traffic reports?
  • I am picking up my new 2000 Premier on Saturday, is there anything I should be looking out for?
  • When you pick it up, take it out on the highway and get a feel for the front end alignment. If it pulls one way or the other, have it checked. Mine was WAY off, and I trashed a set of tires in short order.

The 2000's still had the older style cup holders. These can break easily, so keep them in the closed position when you're not using them. They are prone to getting broken by kids stepping on them (I speak from experience!). The 2001's have a better design.

Have fun with your new van.

Mikey
  • Mikey,

Any thoughts on the entertainment system, I noticed when you pull the LCD down all you see is the metal roof (no insulation?)

askmak
  • My 99 Silo is the base GL, so I don't have all the gizmos that you are getting.

It just turned 66k miles and no problems right now...So far only tires, front brakes and a few water leaks (plus those fragile cup holders). I figure at 3500 miles per month, about next August it will hit 100k.

Since I was going to trash whatever I bought in a couple of years, I wanted something I could pay off quicker. Those Premieres are nice though.

When it's time to get a new company car, I'll most likely get another Silo.

Mikey
  • I was using the search function to find other topics about the Silhouette, and strangely this one doesn't show up.

It may be because "Silhouette" is misspelled in the title of our Topic. Can you fix this?

And before you ask, as a matter of fact no, I don't have a life.

Minivans Rule! (OK, maybe it's only the soccer fields)

OK, now back to power lurking....

Thanks,:O)
    Mikey
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    I'll let Karen, the vans host, about your request. Actually, I'm sure that she's already aware of it. But, it probably won't be fixed until the next iteration of this topic, or after we have the major software overhaul in several weeks (hopefully) time; topic titles cannot be edited.

Thanks!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • spud16spud16 Posts: 4
    has anyone ever noticed a slight flicker in their headlights, on occasion? I've never had a vehicle with auto headlights, and I am suspicious of this mechanism. The impression you get is that you have switched from hi to low or low to high for a fraction of a second. I don't know if this is an early indication of a failure, or just a minor nussance that I should put up with.
    2000 Silhouette
  • spud16spud16 Posts: 4
    saga continues. Thanks for all the inputs from everyone. Dealer says they checked the rear hatch boots several times, resealed right rear window, resealed power slider boot, resealed just about every seam in the right wheel area.
    In the beginning the whole well would fill up, and the water was silty. Only when they finally replace the window seal was there a significant reduction in water. Now a small amount still gets in, even without driving the vehicle. Personally poured water all over the boots, and no water gets in. Poured it on the roof rack area, no water gets in. Poured it on the window, and water does get in. Problem here is that it flows all over the place, so I am not sure yet if that is truely where the leak is. I'm going to start taping off areas to restrict the water flow, and see if I can further isolate.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    One feature I am soooo looking forward to with the new boards is topic title editing. Until then, we have to make do with what we've got.

KarenS
    Vans host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• alingaling Posts: 598
    Thanks for addressing the question, Karen! :-)

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • We bought our Olds Silhouette Preimer. It is a Indigo Blue with leather seats. So far so good. The kids love the video system. They are the hit of the car pool. I'm use to sitting much higher - we traded in our 93 Astro. We paid invoice w/ 1000 rebate. There were a couple of chips in the bumper but DH said he can put touch up paint on it. Here's hoping that this van last 8 - 10 years.
    Sue
  • Haven't heard of that one before, but it could be the bulb not seated correctly in its socket. There may also be a problem with the dimmer switch in the steering column.

Just guessing...

Mikey
  • If everyone remembers a while back, there was a discussion of what to do about the black mirror housing fading.

Mine was fading too, so I just waxed it, and it shines like new now. I would recommend a non-abrasive wax.

The wax applicator turned black as I was putting the wax on, so it must be some kind of oxidation of the paint on these.

BTW, this fading seems to happen also on the luggage rack, but it is not as noticeable since it's up high. I waxed it too and it looks great.

I'd like to hear someone else's take on this....

Mikey
  • Well last week I proudly announced that we had bought our 2001 Olds Sil Premiere. With only 200 miles on the car the check engine light came on. Pushed the Onstar button. They did a diagnostics and came back with the code P0440. Called service today and he said that code means it is misfiring. I will be taking it in on Tuesday. Man oh man...
  • I don't know if you're experiencing the same thing that happened on my wife's van, but one day the engine started running very badly. Took it in to the local Olds dealer, and they quickly (and quite correctly I might add) diagnosed the problem as a bad spark plug wire. A few minutes later and I'm back on the road.

Mikey....
  • coz1coz1 Posts: 9
    Michael, I was the one who ask about the mirrors and for the mirrors on our van, waxing didn't help! Could you tell me the brand of wax you used, also, if it was a cleaner/wax? I used Mothers cleaner/wax, worked great on the paint, but not on the mirrors. Thanks.
  • I used something called Formula 2001. Nothing special, just something on sale at Kmart.

Mikey (in search of yet another blue light special)
  • I test drove my first minivan today. The Premiere.
    I noticed Edmunds lists the Entertainment as a TV/Video system. It is actually only a VIDEO system...no TV. Since I have never had a TV in a car before...is this something to be coveted. The salesman said TV's don't work that well...so I am better off with just the Video. Any thougths?

Also, Carsdirect.com will get me a 2001 Premiere for $30,570. They show invoice price of $30,698 and MSRP of 33,855.

Options added would be priced as follows:
    Tow Package $87
    Chrome Wheels $607
    Radio w/6 disc CD changer/player $258
    Gold Tone $131
    Engine Block heater $31

So is the Carsdirect price what I should shoot for at the Dealership???

Thanks
  • We paid 31,248. We bought the premiere with the tow package and gold tone. We also had to pay the adversting fee of 331.00. Minus the 1000 rebate we came to 30,248. We love the video system and can't wait to take our trip to Florida this summer. You won't pick up many or any tv stations while driving I don't think. Is the carsdirect price including the rebate?

I also posted earlier that we had to take the van back already for the check engine light. The pin connector at evap was loose. They resecured pin. We have been getting lots of compliments on the van.
    S.DiTullio
  • I went for it today. I had tried one, liked it, thought about it and turned back around and bought it! So far I would have to say that this is the most 'car like' mini-van I have ever driven. It rides great.
    After reading about the small problems that have been popping up on other's vans, I will keep a close eye on it and hopefully it won't give me any problems on my 3000 mile 'Thanksgiving' trek.
    Les s.
  • My wife and I have been thinking about getting a minivan for the last six months or so. With two newly adopted children, our '98 Chevy Malibu, felt a little cramped.

We rented a Chevy Astro while were were on vacation in Florida last summer. She loved it. Lots of room, good acceleration, etc. But the wheel well intruded into the place where my left foot would like to rest. After that we did not consider getting a minvan. We wanted to put off a new vehicle purchase as long as possible. My '94 Chevy pickup truck has a lot of miles on it (132K) but is in great shape.

Then something happened to change would minds. Just last week, GM/Oldsmobile offeded 0% financing on year 2000 Silo's for up to 60 months. No rebates or anything. It would be like saving for a vehicle only we can drive it now.

We wanted the premere edition, but those were scarce, and the price tipped the scales anyway. So we got a GLS, indigo color (how conservative can you get in a color), gold package (which offsets the indigo color), upgraded sound system, and trailer towing package. Paid $100 over factory invoice. The van had been sitting on the lot for a while, but that's why Oldsmobile was trying so hard to get rid of them. We got a five year loan at 0% and applied $650 from my GM card rebate account. Also got the GM Protection Plan for $25 over wholesale. The only thing is that it breaks my rule against buying a vehicle at the end of the model year. On the other hand, so what? What a sweet deal!

BTW, we did not consider Chryslers because of severe reliablilty problems that I experienced with Dodge Caravans.

So far, we are very pleased with it.
  • Congratulations...we bought ours several weeks ago and have gotten lots of compliments on it. The only problem we are having is a check engine light that likes to stay on. The service department has been great so far in trying to find why it keeps coming on. The kids love it. We traded in a Astro and even though I do notice a difference in space it still drives a lot better.
  • rlang2rlang2 Posts: 2
    Picked up my 2000 premiere on Monday night. What a great ride. Got the sand color with gold package. How can you beat 0% financing? Paid $100 over invoice. Getting lots of compliments. Any thing I need to watch out for with this van?
    So far, we love it.
  • Just bought a 98 Silo. GLS with 40 thousand miles. Was a leased van. Check all service records before purchased and everything looked real good. Looked and research other vans but this one looked, drove,and priced great for my price range. Is there any problems I should look out for? Also received another 3yrs/36 miles bumper to bumper warranty on it. Any info. would be appreciated.
  • I don't know if these two problems are related or not. I notice, as did #142, that the headlights, interior lights, etc. occasionally develop a flicker. The last time this happened it was on a 3 hour night trip and it about drove me nuts. It never did develop into a serious problem, but I kept thinking I was losing my alternator. Another problem is the compressor in the back. It seems to come on every time I start the car. Of course the owner's manual is useless, they don't even identify which fuse to pull so I can stop the noise. I wonder if the two are related, ie. that the power draw of the compressor is making the headlights flicker (probably not). Is the compressor good for anything except beach balls and flat tires? Mine will be worn out before next summer.