Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the BMW 5-Series
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• medulamedula Posts: 2
    Does anybody know about power liftgate offered on
    Touring in Europe?
    It's actually hydraulic cylinder with hydraulic pump. I would like to know how to operate the system (part of onwer's manual would help); if there is pinch protection system incorporated; does it replacing the gas struts inm the headliner; do you have to hold the button while operating the liftgate?
  • Does anyone know what the offset is for the factory 17x8 BMW sports wheels?
  • cb44cb44 Posts: 87
    Go to : www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/
    and use the Search function which should bring many hits. Good luck.
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    From what I know and have read ( I own a '97 540i), it is difficult to make sound system changes on these cars. The head unit is tied into the onboard computer and steering wheel controls. Also, I think I read that they use a lot of proprietary connectors and such, to the extent that you might find it impossible to modify a car that you will eventually have to return on lease. And they WILL hit you hard if you return a BMW without the BMW stereo in it.
  • aboladabolad Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what brand(s) engine oil BMW use in their cars, as I need to top off mine before it's time for my car's service. I have a leak somewhere but my BMW service people looked and told me there is no leak at all. I'm just waiting for my next visit to them when I will blow my gasket off!!
  • hoehnjchoehnjc Posts: 41
    David,

The bottom line is that you will have to find a dealer who has a 528 that you want in stock. There are no dealer incentives from BMW now. I do believe there are on the 328 though. My guess is that they will negotiate some what because their 528 inventory impacts their ability to get 530's. I just went through all of this with my dealer who screwed up my 528 order 3 weeks ago. I ordered my 530 last week. You should expect to get $2,000 - $3,000 off MSRP depending on location. Maybe more??? The dealer I spoke with in TX last month or so would not negotiate at all. They also had no 528's on the lot to work with. Another dealer in TX told me that they were not scheduled to receive ANY 530's because they had bought several "dealer" 528 cars that went against their inventory. They are not eligible for the 530 now based on their current inventory. He is probably very willing to negotiate. There is only a $500 increase over the 530 vs. the 528. Option prices remain the same. Not bad for the new 3l engine. In case you are wondering, I live in Ohio.
  • Thanks for the info. I'm in the SF Bay Area. Although this is BMW Central, the local dealer seems to have about 15 528s on the lot, which is what led me to believe there may be a chance for a deal. Most of the models have many more options than I'm interested in, so the savings off MSRP will need to be substantial. But based on your post it sounds like broaching the issue may be worth it.
  • I'm also wondering about any incentives which may be offered on 528's. I'm in the Chgo. area and I'm getting prices of 2500 off the MSRP for a car of my choice which they would swap with another dealer. Is it worth "settling" for a 528 or waiting for a 530? The savings on the 2000 model is minimal considering it will soon be last year's model, not to mention the advantages of the new engine. Does anyone know when the 530's will actually start arriving at dealers?
  • Thanks cb44.
    Layabout,

As I mentioned in message 8 above, you will need to decide if you can get a model that you like. I am not sure about the availability of 528's in the Chicago area but I know that some are demo's from company cars like the ones I discovered in TX. If you can find one you like, go for it. I am sure you are not likely to find a discounted 530 any time soon. There are few dealers who have them for sell. Most of those have already have been sold. The 530's are due for late Sep early Oct delivery. But as I said, they are most likely sold as mine is. Good luck to you in your search.
  • How does one replace the fog lights of a 528i? The book shows two screws to unscrew. The screws are underneath the bottom front molding and I don't have a clue how to remove it (i.e., the molding). There is a hole through the molding that reveals a screw head right by the fog lights. I tried to unscrew that screw to no avail. Can somebody help?
    All BMW's now include all scheduled maintenance as well as items like brake pads, wiper blades, etc. for 3 years/36K miles.

The free scheduled maintenance is performed only when the cars lights dictate however, which is based on driving style not actual mileage. Many supplement these long intervals with oil changes on their own dime
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Posts: 140
    I understand the 530 will debut this fall. Although the engine is the same as the 330 I have seen comments that it may produce more hp. Does anyone have performance info? Also, what styling changes will therre be --- cut out head lights, 3 style door handles, finally an in dash cd player?! As you can tell as amatter of principle I am galled that a 45k car doesn't include a cd player. After all who buys cassetts?
    mfeldman,
    From the brochure I received from the dealer:

The 3.0l engine is advertised at 225 hp at 5900 rpm. Bore srtroke is 3.31/3.53 in. Acceleration 0-60 6.8 sec (7.5 sec w/automatic trans). 10.2 compression. Max torque is 214lb-ft/3500 rpm.

Styling, Fog lights are now round rather than old rectangular. Side molding id color coded with car color (black available w/sport package??)Headlights now have a rounded lit rim. Parking Distance Control is now Front & Rear. In dash CD available in place of cassete player. Not available with Nav package. Clear turn lenses with amber bulbs. Here is a BMW site that has A LOT of info and pictures about the new 01 model. http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/are some sites that have some of the photos. Here is another site that has the photos. Select the files that begin with 015 (2001 5 series) http://www.eurobuyers.com/photos/. I am expecting mine Sep/Oct.
    Dissregard "are" at teh end of web site address it should be http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages
    Thanks for the info. It loohs like cosmetic changes are minor. Are brochures at all dealers? Did you condider the 330. I'm torn because the 530 isn't truly that much bigger though it looks more substantial.
    Well, I have a wife and 3 children. 15, 14, & 12. My wife likes the 3 series but there is not enough room for the children in the back. I am a rather large guy and could not see spending the money on another small car. I think the 3 series is a great car. It just doesn't meet my needs. My dealer screwed up my 00' 528 I ordered and was delivered 21 Jun. He is now ordering me a 530 with a great discount. I would have been very happy with my 528 had it been what I ordered (MSRP - $2050). Unfortunately it wasn't close. I am making out in the long run though. My friend who bought a 00 528 w/sports package is envious of my 530 deal.

Yes, the dealers have received THEIR brochures. Not ones they release to the public etc. It contains all the comparisons statistics they use for marketing etc... They should let you see it though for comparisons etc. My dealer let me keep mine since the order was such a mess. The normal brochures have not yet been published. Good luck to you in your decision.
    Although the raw numbers show a small interior volume difference between the 3 & 5 series, when sitting in them the perception is more pronounced.

Much of this is due to more elbow room and a back seat a little more usable for passengers.
    Iagree that the 5 feels bigger but not by much. the 3 is faster and more nimble. I also am considering the A6 2.7t. It actually outpointed th 528 in a recent Car and driver article -- primarily due to power (0-60 in 6.6 sec for an auto) and interior. The mag said it would see if the 530 would change the out come, but since it is only a hair faster I doubt it will. I have reas the A6 forum and while reviews are positive theire is definitely a group who have had problems. Does anyone know how the 5 and the A6 compare safetywise. Also I'm curious as to whether anyone specifically chose the 5 over the A6.
  • Cb44,

Thanks for the response. You know, that's the irritating part -- if I was trying to go from 0-60 between every stop sign, it'd be one thing - but it seems that it doesn't matter how I drive the car. I've gone a few tanks driving very conservatively, and a few tanks very aggressively, and don't see any noticeable difference in mileage. All this on Premium fuel.

Anyone else?

Ira