Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the BMW 5-Series
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• medulamedula Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know about power liftgate offered on
    Touring in Europe?
    It's actually hydraulic cylinder with hydraulic pump. I would like to know how to operate the system (part of onwer's manual would help); if there is pinch protection system incorporated; does it replacing the gas struts inm the headliner; do you have to hold the button while operating the liftgate?
  • 99bimmer99bimmer Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what the offset is for the factory 17x8 BMW sports wheels?
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    Go to : www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/
    and use the Search function which should bring many hits. Good luck.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    From what I know and have read ( I own a '97 540i), it is difficult to make sound system changes on these cars. The head unit is tied into the onboard computer and steering wheel controls. Also, I think I read that they use a lot of proprietary connectors and such, to the extent that you might find it impossible to modify a car that you will eventually have to return on lease. And they WILL hit you hard if you return a BMW without the BMW stereo in it.
  • aboladabolad Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what brand(s) engine oil BMW use in their cars, as I need to top off mine before it's time for my car's service. I have a leak somewhere but my BMW service people looked and told me there is no leak at all. I'm just waiting for my next visit to them when I will blow my gasket off!!
  • hoehnjchoehnjc Member Posts: 41
    David,

The bottom line is that you will have to find a dealer who has a 528 that you want in stock. There are no dealer incentives from BMW now. I do believe there are on the 328 though. My guess is that they will negotiate some what because their 528 inventory impacts their ability to get 530's. I just went through all of this with my dealer who screwed up my 528 order 3 weeks ago. I ordered my 530 last week. You should expect to get $2,000 - $3,000 off MSRP depending on location. Maybe more??? The dealer I spoke with in TX last month or so would not negotiate at all. They also had no 528's on the lot to work with. Another dealer in TX told me that they were not scheduled to receive ANY 530's because they had bought several "dealer" 528 cars that went against their inventory. They are not eligible for the 530 now based on their current inventory. He is probably very willing to negotiate. There is only a $500 increase over the 530 vs. the 528. Option prices remain the same. Not bad for the new 3l engine. In case you are wondering, I live in Ohio.
  • david154david154 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I'm in the SF Bay Area. Although this is BMW Central, the local dealer seems to have about 15 528s on the lot, which is what led me to believe there may be a chance for a deal. Most of the models have many more options than I'm interested in, so the savings off MSRP will need to be substantial. But based on your post it sounds like broaching the issue may be worth it.
  • layaboutlayabout Member Posts: 1
    I'm also wondering about any incentives which may be offered on 528's. I'm in the Chgo. area and I'm getting prices of 2500 off the MSRP for a car of my choice which they would swap with another dealer. Is it worth "settling" for a 528 or waiting for a 530? The savings on the 2000 model is minimal considering it will soon be last year's model, not to mention the advantages of the new engine. Does anyone know when the 530's will actually start arriving at dealers?
    Thanks cb44.
    Layabout,

As I mentioned in message 8 above, you will need to decide if you can get a model that you like. I am not sure about the availability of 528's in the Chicago area but I know that some are demo's from company cars like the ones I discovered in TX. If you can find one you like, go for it. I am sure you are not likely to find a discounted 530 any time soon. There are few dealers who have them for sell. Most of those have already have been sold. The 530's are due for late Sep early Oct delivery. But as I said, they are most likely sold as mine is. Good luck to you in your search.
    How does one replace the fog lights of a 528i? The book shows two screws to unscrew. The screws are underneath the bottom front molding and I don't have a clue how to remove it (i.e., the molding). There is a hole through the molding that reveals a screw head right by the fog lights. I tried to unscrew that screw to no avail. Can somebody help?
    All BMW's now include all scheduled maintenance as well as items like brake pads, wiper blades, etc. for 3 years/36K miles.

The free scheduled maintenance is performed only when the cars lights dictate however, which is based on driving style not actual mileage. Many supplement these long intervals with oil changes on their own dime
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    I understand the 530 will debut this fall. Although the engine is the same as the 330 I have seen comments that it may produce more hp. Does anyone have performance info? Also, what styling changes will therre be --- cut out head lights, 3 style door handles, finally an in dash cd player?! As you can tell as amatter of principle I am galled that a 45k car doesn't include a cd player. After all who buys cassetts?
    mfeldman,
    From the brochure I received from the dealer:

The 3.0l engine is advertised at 225 hp at 5900 rpm. Bore srtroke is 3.31/3.53 in. Acceleration 0-60 6.8 sec (7.5 sec w/automatic trans). 10.2 compression. Max torque is 214lb-ft/3500 rpm.

Styling, Fog lights are now round rather than old rectangular. Side molding id color coded with car color (black available w/sport package??)Headlights now have a rounded lit rim. Parking Distance Control is now Front & Rear. In dash CD available in place of cassete player. Not available with Nav package. Clear turn lenses with amber bulbs. Here is a BMW site that has A LOT of info and pictures about the new 01 model. http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/are some sites that have some of the photos. Here is another site that has the photos. Select the files that begin with 015 (2001 5 series) http://www.eurobuyers.com/photos/. I am expecting mine Sep/Oct.
    Dissregard "are" at teh end of web site address it should be http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages
    Thanks for the info. It loohs like cosmetic changes are minor. Are brochures at all dealers? Did you condider the 330. I'm torn because the 530 isn't truly that much bigger though it looks more substantial.
    Well, I have a wife and 3 children. 15, 14, & 12. My wife likes the 3 series but there is not enough room for the children in the back. I am a rather large guy and could not see spending the money on another small car. I think the 3 series is a great car. It just doesn't meet my needs. My dealer screwed up my 00' 528 I ordered and was delivered 21 Jun. He is now ordering me a 530 with a great discount. I would have been very happy with my 528 had it been what I ordered (MSRP - $2050). Unfortunately it wasn't close. I am making out in the long run though. My friend who bought a 00 528 w/sports package is envious of my 530 deal.

Yes, the dealers have received THEIR brochures. Not ones they release to the public etc. It contains all the comparisons statistics they use for marketing etc... They should let you see it though for comparisons etc. My dealer let me keep mine since the order was such a mess. The normal brochures have not yet been published. Good luck to you in your decision.
    Although the raw numbers show a small interior volume difference between the 3 & 5 series, when sitting in them the perception is more pronounced.

Much of this is due to more elbow room and a back seat a little more usable for passengers.
    Iagree that the 5 feels bigger but not by much. the 3 is faster and more nimble. I also am considering the A6 2.7t. It actually outpointed th 528 in a recent Car and driver article -- primarily due to power (0-60 in 6.6 sec for an auto) and interior. The mag said it would see if the 530 would change the out come, but since it is only a hair faster I doubt it will. I have reas the A6 forum and while reviews are positive theire is definitely a group who have had problems. Does anyone know how the 5 and the A6 compare safetywise. Also I'm curious as to whether anyone specifically chose the 5 over the A6.
  • idworkinidworkin Member Posts: 5
    Cb44,

Thanks for the response. You know, that's the irritating part -- if I was trying to go from 0-60 between every stop sign, it'd be one thing - but it seems that it doesn't matter how I drive the car. I've gone a few tanks driving very conservatively, and a few tanks very aggressively, and don't see any noticeable difference in mileage. All this on Premium fuel.

Anyone else?

Ira
    Mfeldman,

I'll give you my thoughts about performance etc. I believe you are talking fractions of a second which will vary by driver to begin with. I believe you drive the cars at max performance very little amount of time. I was originally sold on a Lexus GS300 until my friend educated me in on ALL the extras that BMW 5 series offers. I was never an Audi fan but that is not to say that it is a good/bad vehicle. Just simply never researched it. When I considered all the extra safety features offered by the BMW such as; auto battery disconnect, unlock door feature, turn on interior lights and flashers when encountered a serious frontal crash, heated drivers lock, windshield washer jets and fluid holder, head protection system. I also liked the way many of the important controls are on the steering wheel. My favorite option was the xenon lights that many luxury vehicles now offer. Unfortunately Lexus only offers it with their premium sound or Nav packages. Not as a single option. Again, no idea what Audi offers. I guess the bottom line (for me) is comfort, safety, and performance. I believe the 528 was plenty fast for my use. I am receiving a 530 which I know will only be better. I enjoy high performance but would not buy a car of this caliber simply based on a 6.6 sec vs. 6.8 sec 0-60 test.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I do believe the 5 is a very safe car. In terms of performance, with the auto tranny, its morelike 7.5 0-60. Can I tell the differece of a second -- probably not. Though when I test drove the 5, it seemed a little sluggish until it got reved up. The Audi feels powerful, but seems to lack the 5's intangibles. I wish I could get your deal on a 530.
  • david154david154 Member Posts: 2
    Ira: You might check the 5-series board on bimmer.org; a recent post on the 528i suggests that that engine is set to operate more efficiently after the break-in period - 1200 miles. I don't know whether that's true, but it might explain your mileage problem.

Advice. I've solicited advice recently on this board regarding the relative merits and pricing of the 528i and 330i. (I have a 330i on order). I wonder if any of you have thoughts on the 530i versus 330i. Specifically:

1. How long will I have to wait if I order a 530i now? I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I suspect my dealer has a large allotment of 530is, though they may all be spoken for.

2. How much of a beating will I take on the 530i price as compared to the 330i? The 330i I have on order is about $40k with premium package, automatic, fold-down rear seat and CD. On the 530i I'd need just the automatic, fold-down seat and, possibly, leather (depending on availability of satisfactory interior color options in leatherette); no moonroof, lumbar, etc. I could absorb a $5k increase, but probably not much more.

3. Lastly, any thoughts on how the dealer will react to the cancellation of my 330i order and how that reaction might play into timing on receipt of the 530i? Will they want to force the 330i sale, or will they try to accommodate me for fear of losing me for any sale? (In CA the agreement to buy is not binding on the buyer.) I'd expect to get the 530i from the same dealer, so they'd still get the benefit of a sale to me. Since the 330i they'd be "stuck" with is highly desirable, I don't think there's much of a cost to them there - maybe even a benefit, since they likely can do better than what I've agreed to pay, which is $500 less than MSRP.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
  • sbilginsbilgin Member Posts: 1
    Folks;

I have a quick question regarding a European '00 520i. I am not the owner of it, my father is, I own a '99 328i (and am happy with it!). The problem my father is having, and obviously I cannot help him with that, is the clock on the radio not coming up when the ignition turned on until he pushes a button or something. I am not sure whether this is a bug or a feature since I can't confirm it. The European and the US models should be very similar in terms of this feature. Could any of you tell me whether there is some part broken, or there is a mode in the 5 series, when set the clock does not come on until a button is pressed.
    If this is not a feature, what do you think is broken? Apparently the mechanics in his home town have no clue, and offering to change the whole panel.

I apreciate the responses in advance.

Thanks.
  • fronobulaxfronobulax Member Posts: 23
    I'd seriously think about getting the leather. You probably won't find one without leather and will have to order. And because it is an odd configuration, the dealer may want a large, non-refundable deposit, and you may find it difficult to sell the car.

If you go to the dealer and say, "I changed my mind, I want to spend $5000 more", they're not going to drag you into the back room and work you over with a tire iron.
  • nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    I have a 97 520i and a 99 530d, neither have the clock problem you describe with your fathers 520.

Neil
  • gary_jensengary_jensen Member Posts: 2
    Considering the purchase of a '00 540i manual. Dealer is suggesting that I can get a good dealer on this vehicle vs. waiting for the allocation of production slots on the '01's. He did not know whne the 540 '01s would be in production. Anyone heard anything on the 540 '01 production schedule? Also, thoughts about the merits of purchasing a end of model year '00 vs. waiting for new '01s? PS--I'm in the Columbus, OH area.

Gary
  • gary_jensengary_jensen Member Posts: 2
    Considering the purchase of a '00 540i manual. Dealer is suggesting that I can get a good dealer on this vehicle vs. waiting for the allocation of production slots on the '01's. He did not know whne the 540 '01s would be in production. Anyone heard anything on the 540 '01 production schedule? Also, thoughts about the merits of purchasing a end of model year '00 vs. waiting for new '01s? PS--I'm in the Columbus, OH area.

Gary
  • searcher10searcher10 Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a terrible car accident and my volvo 960 saved the life of my daughter and I- we walked away. Once in the ambulance to go to the hospital for checking out, the EMT asked, "So you are buying another volvo right? The volvo is why you are alive." would have been great commercial material, no kidding. But now I don't want to drive the same car because of the experience. (they chose to repair it because of still high resale value) I am interested in buying either a Saab 9.5, recently rated safest car by euroncap.com, volvo s80, or s70 limited, audi a6, or BMW 530 (or 528 if I can get a decent deal, but there seem to be few to be had. All of these cars feel pretty solid to me, very responsive, which is part of survival on the roads today I believe, and psychologically give me the feeling that I might survive a 50mph crash again were it to occur. I like all wheel drive, its a great idea in the north where road conditions are poor in winter. How is the BMW 528 handling in snow, is it ok? or in rain for that matter? Any advice from anyone? I definately want a sedan, no wagon needed.
  • dbush2dbush2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 80 mile round trip commute, 80% highway, some stop and go, based on how the traffic is, and I average 20-22 mpg. It's hard to drive slow, as to keep up with traffic in Chicago means 75 mph. '97 540i 6-speed.
  • joseph16joseph16 Member Posts: 2
    It is my understanding that the steptronic was not available in the 528i until MY2000. 1999 would have been the earliest, but I do not believe it was in that MY.
  • erik_schindlererik_schindler Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the purchase of a '97 540i with basically all of the options. My question is the car has 57000 miles, is in excellent condition, and from test drives appears to be sound. What risks are known about the mechanical systems of this car, its general durability, and overall performance in the higher milage part of its life? Looking for advice here. Appreciate any input.
  • mtl3mtl3 Member Posts: 22
    You might want to look at www.bimmer.org. They have an extensive posting, FAQ's, archives, etc. by make and model.
  • mpk214mpk214 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 528i. I have the vin numbner. How would I go about finding out the warranty history or any other history on the vehicle... thanks
    mpk214,

Try carfax, which may offer one search free:

www.carfax.com/
    mpk214,

You may also try contacting BMW 800 number. They may help if you have the vin number. Just an idea. The local BMW dealer in the area where you are considering purchasing it form may also have some records from the vehicle if they serviced it in the past. Food for thought.
  • hsvdillonhsvdillon Member Posts: 1
    I recently acquired a 94 525i in very good condition. Today the automatic door locks started to act up. When you first lock the door (from the inside or outside) all the locks enable for about a second or two then they unlock. When locked a second time, they remain locked. Any ideas here?? This has never happened before today.
    Thanks for the inputs!
  • starbmwstarbmw Member Posts: 3
    It is finally official. The new look 5 series at BMW.com (not BMWUSA.com). I think the car looks great although I would have preferred the cut out treatment that the headlights get on the 3 and 7 series. Does anyone know why they chose not to update to that look like they did when they updated the 7 series?
    are you sure about the web site ? I can't get in.
    Yes it is bmw.com. just click on english on the first screen. There will be a big 5 on the next screen. Click on it and you will be there.
    I too, tried the web site and had difficulties accessing it yesterday. I did see some 5 series pics. The few I saw did not represent the US version as displayed in the dealers brochures. It has amber front and rear turn lenses. The brochure specifically mentions and shows clear lenses. It also did not show the new headlights as best I could tell. It also showed a vehicle with the black molding. The molding is matched to the vehicle color this year. It may be a sports package option. But, I would think they would highlight the matched molding to show the new difference rather than the same black molding. So I am not sure if it is really the US model displayed on the BMW.com website. I would suggest you look at the pics on the bimmer.org website or visit your local dealer for their brochure.
    I can't imagine why you guys can't see what I am seeing. On the right hand side of the BMW.com homepage is a huge #5 and under it it says 520i, 525i and 530i. You click there any you link up to a complete audio video presentation that lets you view all three models as well as listen to the new 530i engine. The body molding matches the paint colour and the lights have all been redone as well as the front kidney grill. There is no question that this is the 2001 version unless the BMW website is lying....come on guys....figure it out....
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Hey, give us a break. We're car aficianados (sp?), not computer jocks. :)
    No need to get upset. The "huge 5" picture you refer to apparently changes. It was a Huge M5 link when I connected.

I did just view the site though. It is in fact a 01 but some pics still show the amber lenses. The web site is by far the worst site I have visited on the web. It takes to long to load and is not very easy to navigate around. I am glad they design awsome vehicles and not focus on web pages. I got tired of waiting for their fancy downloads to view much more. I'll simply wait for mine to arrive.
  • edu328edu328 Member Posts: 9
    I saw it on the site! What a beauty!
    How can people compare this car to an Audi A6?
  • ssusmssusm Member Posts: 5
    I'm seriously considering ordering a '01 530. My dealer has indicated that there is a Sept production model available. Anyone know if they are going ABOVE MSRP?
    The website pictures StarBMW is referring to are on the BMW home page, not the BMWUSA home page. Go to www.bmw.com, select english and there you are. Click on the big 5 and you are off and running. Be warned. It's very slow.
    ssum,

I am sure you will find a dealer who will tell you his story why they are above MSRP. I am syurprised he has a Sep production available. The fact is that many people are getting some type of discount on the vehicle. My local dealer here in OH just received an allotment of 3 more 530's (Oct production) of which 1 of them is already sold. Can't tell you what kind of discount if any he is offering. I have a Sep production model scheduled to be built in week 38 (Sep 18 00). I would suggest that you check out www.bimmer.com under 5 series (E39) and look at the numerous pricing, pics, and option articles. You may have to search the archives also to find many of the earlier articles that may be very informative. Good luck.
    It is www.bimmer.org not .com. Sorry
    Thanks, Hoehnjc. Actually, he is talking about an Oct. production run. I mistyped (?) earlier. I'm not expecting to pay over MSRP, just wondering if I have a chance of paying anything under. Thanks for the url. I'll check it out.