Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    stick vs auto - it's a real personal thing. I drove a stick for 12 years. Now on the east coast in NY traffic jams...who needs it. I can still enjoy the benefits of a performance/luxury sedan without putting my foot on the clutch every 2 seconds. To each their own on this one.

Ken
  • who can't be objective for two minutes! Want to "yawn", look at the design of the current 5. Consider yourself warned, and unable to admit something wicked this way comes......
    LOL..I happen to think to the 5 series is one of the most gorgeous cars in the world. The Porsche Carrera is another one. That Lexus doesn't do it for me. I thought the 5 was gorgeous even before I owned my first BMW. There have been posts in the G35 forum as well to the effect that BMW is now on notice. Whatever my next car is, I'm happy for competition, because it keeps everybody on their toes. Lexus makes a fine line of reliable and performance oriented automobiles, but there was a reason I got the BMW 330i vs the GS300 for example. I could have gotten the 5 but I really wanted the 3. Whatever BMW comes up with, you can be sure it will be a winner in the next couple of model years in terms of looks, style and performance. But that is why there is vanilla and choclate and strawberry plus 100's of other flavors. There are enough flavors and cars for everybody. Not every BMW will blow the doors off of every car, but there is something about driving one that is magical..to say the least.
  • But the current 5 couldn't be anymore boring to my eyes. I like a bold, aggressive sport sedan. In dynamics AND style. The 3-series is starting to go down this same road of ho-hum styling. The design is still strong, but the front end definitely lost something with it's recent facelift. I give Lexus credit for boldness. Who said they were too conservative?
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    You raise an interesting theory with regard to the stick: whether it would force poor drivers to concentrate more and hence make them safer. It seems to me "poor" drivers--who seem to occupy nine out of every ten cars--fall into three categories:

-First are those who, irregardless of their skill, are distracted by food, newspapers, books (yes, I've seen this), makeup, shaving, drinks, cell phones, other passengers, inebriation, and about 30 other possibilities.

-Second are those who lack either good driving skills--I'm talking fundamentals, not Mario Andretti reflexes--or a good understanding of traffic rules and signs.

-Third are the ones who see yellow lights as an invitation to speed up, a stop sign as a suggestion, and 55mph signs as "yeah right." Basically, those who drive extremely aggressively.

I suspect a stick would help the first group, since it would dissuade them from fidgeting with whatever is distracting them. But it may overwhelm those in the second group who are genuinely unskilled drivers. And I suspect it would make those in the third group either more aggressive, distract them, or otherwise lead to an accident sooner.

Since I don't know the proportions between the groups, it's hard to say if everyone driving manuals--hypothetically, of course--would make people safer drivers.

At the end of the day, the safest driver is the most alert, responsible, and knowledgable one. To that end, it would benefit everyone to attend a good driving clinic like the one BMW sponsors in various cities. There, even good drivers are taught new things, and poor drivers are awakened to new important skills.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    The 5 has such classy styling. The shot of the Toyota...oh I mean Lexus 2004 GS looks like it will be dated fast.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Funny how the Lexyota lovers love to troll the BMW/Benz boards to tell us how great their cars are- think they're trying to convince themselves???
  • philipnowphilipnow Posts: 24
    My friend who has a 740i just loaned me The Hire DVD. I liked The Star best. The problem is they just made me want to get a 540 now! I've been wanting to wait and see what the new 5's like.

Has anyone heard if the new 5 is going to have the SMG as an option?

I looked at the link of the 2004 Lexus GS430 and am completely unimpressed. Not even in the same league as the 5 series.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    was excited they have 2000 post now lol
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Posts: 59
    Quit trolling dude. People - please ignore laysmackdown's bait.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    For the record, I don't own a BMW. I almost replaced my Maxima with a 5-series last fall, but got an S2000 instead.

I did, however, drive the heck out of everything out there, including the GS430. Personally, I don't care how good Lexus looks, they are not even in the same league as BMW in terms of driving "dynamics". If it's bold aggressive looks you want, go for it. Perhaps a Buick GS or Monte Carlo would be good for you. But without a major engineering and priority overhaul, there is no way that Lexus can compete with BMW as the serious driving enthusaist's car of choice. Heck, the only thing they even offer with a stick in is their boy toy looking IS300.

The LS430 might be giving the E430 and S430 a run for their money, but I don't see anything coming out of Lexus that could seriously be labeled "a driver's car" to compete with the 5-serious. Looks are only skin deep.
    Nah...he's not trolling. He is exersizing his privilege of posting respectful dissenting opinions. :)
  • rlowrierlowrie Posts: 30
    Prior to going to one of the local dealers to work out a deal on a 540i I am planning to lease (and do European Delivery) I used the Lease Wizaed program and got some non BMWFS live quotes. The 36 month 15k miles quotes from 3 lenders were similar with a residual of 56% and a money factor of .0029. Is this similar to what I could expect from BMWFS?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I think that BMWFS is more in the neighborhood of 59% residual for 15K/yr and .00210 for the money factor. You might want to scan some of the recent posts over on the "Finance/Warranty/Insurance" - "Lease Questions - Ask Here" topic, if I remember correctly somebody just asked for the very information that you are seeking within the last week or so.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    I doubt the new 5 will have SMG as an option (aside from the eventual M5); from what I've read, BMW execs have expressed privately it'll be reserved for the M cars (but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in other high-end models, such as the Z8).
  • rlowrierlowrie Posts: 30
    Thanks for all the great info and both the on-board and email help members of this board have provided. I am going to be heading to a dealer in the next week or two (when I find the time and I can sneak out on my wife!) and make a deal on a 540i. This board has provided much needed ammuniation and conformation othat I am making a great choice and will likely get a good deal. I started this process many months age by lurking the various boards (i.e. MB, Jag, Lexus, BMW) not sure of what I was looking for. I have driven all now and clearly love the BMW. This has been enhaced by the fact that almost every day I can look forward to multiple insightful and helpful posts on this board whereas the other "competing" boards are good for only a few a day, if that. This indicates that a real passion exists with the BMW owners that just isn't there with the others. Again, thanks for all the help.
    Welcome to the club. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bluebeastbluebeast Posts: 261
    People are not always posting just to give a certain msg board a bunch of grief. I for one enjoy a variety of cars and like to read as much as I can and also share my experiences. In this case I have a 98 GS300 after trading in my 97 528 and a 96 LS400 after trading in my 95 M3. I love the styling of both the Lexus and the BMW, with the M3 being my favorite. I agree that the handling of the BMW is better than anything Lexus has to offer. I decided to get rid of the BMW's when I got to know every person in the service department. In 1 year I had the 528 in the shop almost twice a month for something. Got tired of it (wifes car). The M3 was not near as bad, but the last straw was when they could not figure out why the car would just stop running when you would be going 40-55mph. I miss how fun they were to drive and still think about getting a 540 6spd, but the realiability issue still lingers in my mind.
    My understanding (from reading many sources) was that the first year E39 5-Series had more than its fair share of problems, which were apparently worked out by 1999 (if not 1998). On the other hand, my first year E46 328i has been such a model of reliability that it would be the envy of any Japanese company, I guess that BMW learned their lesson on the E39, unfortunately, that was the car that you wound up with.

Now in its seventh year of production (6 model years, the 1997 was released in early 1996), the E39 has evolved into a car that can run with the "Best of Breed" reliablility wise, from anywhere in the world.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • hnnhnn Posts: 34
    Riez, thanks for the tip. Hnn
  • colt007colt007 Posts: 64
    The first car I drove (in 1980) was a 1972 Caddilac Eldorado convertible (yeah baby, crusin'!). I was almost as cool in the Eldo as anyone who drove a stick ;). I always wanted to learn stick, just never did. The Eldo may have made me lazy in that respect. I never eat, drink, read the newspaper or any of that crap when I drive automatics. With the responsive I6 in the 530i, even w/ the auto (& sport package), you feel totally attached to the car. It feels like me with wheels. Sticks to the road like nothing else. Yes, I'm probably missing alot not having the stick (my SO hates them), but I do feel like a real 'driver' in this car (& my 300M).

Colt.
    Got it. Love it. Didn't really want to do anything aftermarket. If you spend alot of time in the car & you like music, go for it! Although, someone once posted that they didn't listen to the radio alot because they loved the sound of the engine. I totally understand that also!

Colt.
    I fueled up the same way you described not to. I haven't seen the service engine soon light up yet. Won't do that again. Thanks.

Colt.
  • chpqdkchpqdk Posts: 7
    The lease on my 99 540 6 speed runs out in two weeks. The car has only 40,000 miles on it and a residual value of $37,500 but the dealer is willing to certify it for 100,000 miles and sell it to me for $34,500 with 3.95 financing. This is my 5th BMW (my second 5 series) and the best of them all. This seems like a good deal to me but has anyone received a better offer at the end of their lease?
    The '04 5 should be another good one. We really love the 5 just the way it is. Like shipo (I think it was you), we plan to keep this car in the family a long time (just got rid of a '91 Buick). It will look as fresh in 15 years as it does now. '04 Lex GS: I won't hate on the car (bro inlaw has a '99 GS400), its just not for me. Although one of my buddies says I have the American version of the GS in the 300M, they look like brothers to him.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,992
    Was forced to learn to drive an Automatic from the get go and here I am 10 years later wanting one each time I get a new car and haven't been able to get one for one (good) reason or another. When I turned 16 and got my license, I wanted a stick so bad. My Dad said he wasn't about to teach me how to drive stick on a brand new car (which was to be mine) and we had nothing for me to learn on (His 1987 5 speed Ford Bronco II had died 2 months before I got my permit & he wasn't going to teach me on his 1966 427 Big Block Corvette Roadster). I ended up with a 1992 Chevy Beretta GT (3 speed automatic, how ghetto is that). All through the years of driving that car I had learned how to drive a stick on friends cars & even went to a dealer and test drove cars to further my learning experience:) Time came and went, and after I replaced the camshaft at 60,000 miles on my Beretta I decided it was time for a new ride.

I was determined that this car would be a stick. I ordered at 1998 Nissan Maxima SE with a 5 speed. The car I wanted never came in (the dealer kept jerking me around) so I said forget it. My Dad suggested I get an Explorer Sport since the dealer where he bought his Ford Explorer from was running this awesome "pay $6422 and drive a loaded 1998 Ford Explorer Sport for 2 years/24,000 miles." The explorer was only available with a stick if you opted for the 160hp pushrod engine. So for 2 years I drove the truck with a 5 speed automatic and a 205 hp SOHC V6.

The lease on my truck ended and I had been living in the city and needed a car, but didn't need anything too fancy (but still wanted a stick). My Mom suggested that if I get a FWD or AWD car with an Automatic, then my parents would pay for half the lease payments. She said this so she could drive my car in the snow (as she was afraid to drive her RWD CLK in the snow). I ended up with my Saab and am happy with it.

But...I swear this time around that since I'm buying and nobody has to drive my car but me (cause my mom got an AWD A6), I'm getting a stick. I'm very close to inking a deal to get a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH (which only comes in stick).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

go get that M3!
    I live in NY, purchased the car in NJ. Dealer would not/did not get the car inspected since they're in NJ. Where would you get your new 2002 530i inspected at? We're about 2 weeks past the 20 day temporary sticker the dealer gave us.

Colt.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,992
    Go to a gas station or tire shop (any place that still does NYS Inspection). Try Mavis Discount Tire & Auto off of Rte 59 in Nanuet.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Check out the following link:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#safeinspect

Best Regards,
    Shipo