Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    To say that I am less than enamored with the currently available pictures of the new 5-Series is a bit of an understatement, it seems that (former?) BMW designer Chris Bangle (the designer of the new 7-Series, which only a mother could love), has “Bangleised” the new 5er as well. In fact, I dislike what I have seen of the new 5-Series so much, that (among other reasons), I decided to turn in (at lease end, last of April) my perfectly serviceable 1999 328i with only 36,000 miles, so that I could make sure of getting one of the last of the current crop of 5-Series cars. Let me take it one step further; I would not be half surprised to see the resale value of the E39 5-Series car actually go UP when the new E60 is released.

IMHO, BMW had better do some fast cosmetic work on the new 5er, or their market niche may be all but completely wiped out by their competitors. All this from a BIG fan of BMW. OUCH!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you go to www.eurobuyers.com, and click on the "Revised 2002 5-Series Price List", you will find a three page PDF, where page one is all MSRP prices of the full lineup of 5-Series cars, page two is the invoice price list for the same and page three is a grid of package availability.

As for the delivery latency between order and delivery, that actually depends on who you order from. In my case, I ordered a 530i last week Tuesday for delivery on 17-April-2002 in Munich. My dealership was able to swap one of their currently allocated cars (and as yet unsold) for my ED delivery in exchange for an ED allocated car from a month or two down the road.

Put a simpler way, if you need it in less than 90-120 days, you will need to find a dealership that has vehicles going into production that have not yet been sold so the swap can be performed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks Shipo,

I'm ending my lease in May, looking a various vehicles. ED has sparked my interest in BMWs again. I am looking at the 540ia with s/p, cold weather, sunshade, prem. sound. MSRP 57,020--I'm looking at 36mo/15k, could you guess what the lease payment would be? How difficult would it be to work with your dealership (I'm in CA). Thanks!
  • Now they new deal is invoice 41920 + 1500 = 43420
    They lowered the acq fee to 525
    Still have a doc fee of 389
    Have changed the MF to .00205 after calling to lower to .00260.
    I believe I will put up the money for the 9 security deposits to buy it down to .00115.
    How much should this cost 9x550? Then the lease payment will be 561/mth.

Respond asap, they want to do it before end of business.
    Thanks for everybodys help.
  • zubazuba Posts: 58
    I am test driving a 2000 Silver 528 w/Stick and Sport Package tomorrow! 17,000 miles certified and they are asking $37,500!!! Any thoughts on the manual. Have not driven one in 10 years regularly, but realize how they add to the feel and thrill of the drive. I am concerned with cell phone use and shifting, etc.....I may be leaning towards the same specs if it was Steptronic!! Should I assume the stick in a BMW is rock solid and will last to 100K and beyond!!
    Assuming that this is a new car AND that you have confirmed that the "Invoice" price they are showing you are correct, it sounds like a "Fair" deal for all parties.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The price sounds high, I just ran a TMV on a 2000 528i, 5-Speed, Leather Seats, SP, Metallic Paint and a Moonroof, the price came out to about $32,000, so, unless there is more equipment on the car, that is a bad price.

As far as living with the 5-Speed on a daily basis, trust me, you will get so used to it that you hardly realize that you are shifting. Make sure that you get a phone with a "Hands Free" option and a "PTA" (Press To Answer) button on the cord somewhere. I use one all of the time, and it is briliant.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hmmmm, $57,020, I only come up with $56,520. Did you mean to include Xenon Headlights as well? If so, then the $57,020 numbers works.

I did also happen to notice that if you include the SP on a 540iA, Uncle Sam dings you for $1,300 for a "Gas Guzzler Tax".

I will do the calculation based upon the car with Xenon and SP, and we will soon see what the number is.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Oops! Xenon Headlights are standard on the 540iA, so, I am at a loss as to where the extra $500 comes from.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • multiplechoice, i'm in southern ca and just orderd an ED 530i for $1,200 over invoice from Long Beach BMW. He said he'd extend the offer to anyone i referred to him. remember there is no MACO or training on ED.

Tony Lage
    Long Beach BMW
    800-794-4269

Be sure to tell him ehstone@patelli.com sent you.

Best of luck to you,
    Patelli
    Never mind, I found it. On the 530i (where my chart came from), the SP is $2,300, the SP on the 540iA is $2,800.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • zubazuba Posts: 58
    What is MACO and why do you need training on a ED BMW?
    OK, here is what I have come up with...

Negotiated price: $53,405.00 ($1,400 dealer profit)
    CA State Sales Tax @ 7%: $1,343.53
    Luxury Tax: $462.15
    Gas Guzzler Tax: $1,300.00
    Total Lease Price: $56,510.66

Residual: $34,212.00

Assuming typical lease initiation costs, my calculation comes to between $850 and $870 (depending on the money factor that your dealership offers you).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • You not add tax to the lease price... it is added to the payment. training is a fee some southern california dealers try to add to the car it is about $180.00. This is training for the dealer not the buyer.
  • I have a lease calculator in Excel.

It amazes the dealers that I can calculate a lease accurately. It has saved me thousands over the last few cars I bought by catching those little "mistakes" the dealers like to make on leases when they add in a few bucks they know the average lease consumer will not be able to spot.

Please contact me off-line at ehstone@patelli.com for more info on it.

-Patelli
  • bs530bs530 Posts: 5
    The book says you can't order the lumbar package with the sport package. The dealer didn't know. Anybody try to get this option? Shippo, nice job of getting your car a month earlier. I put in my ED order about 10 days before you, but I needed to wait for the BMW Car Club rebate to hit the 1 year anniversary. Ordered a 530 Black Sap./Grey SP,PP,CW,Step,PDC,Xenon and depending on the lumbar question, Maybe the comfort seats. By the way I used Euro Buyers, Steve Diamond, so far 1,500 over ED price. No need to even haggle abit.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The sales manager called and said that there is a $300 MACO and something about a $600 charge for preparing the vechicle. Is this a true cost or just another $600 in their pocket?
    Black Sapphire & Gray, same exterior as mine, I really debated about the interior, I like Gray as well, however, I just had to go with the Black. If BMW would have offered a dark sumptuous Burgundy, I might well have been tempted that way as well.

Congratulations on your new ride.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    There is not much that you can do about MACO, and the $600, Hmmmm, I guess it depends on what "Preparing the vehicle" means. Is this the destination charge of $645, or something else?

Best Regards,
    Shipo