Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    I do not think any of your posts have been offensive, rather, they are informative (and entertaining).
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Posts: 72
    Hi,
    I have been car shopping and I'm strongly considering an 03 E320 MB with the Sport Package. Yesterday I stopped at the local BMW dealer and looked at a preowned 2002 540i with sport pkg, 17", auto, step up stereo, etc. Car is like new @8k miles, a BMW executive car. The original MSRP was 59k and the used book price is 49 to 50k. Here is the deal, the color is "slate green" with sand interior. Not ugly, just weird but that's where the comprimise comes in, I can buy the car for probably as little as 44k! Nice car, bad color. A new 530i with the same options has an msrp of 49k. Any opinions on what you would recommend? Don't trash me on the MB!
    Thanks!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    VCheng & CarNaught,

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. ;-)

2ndMB,

First off, I think that the new W211 E-Class is a wonderful looking car, inside and out. That said, it seems that much if its new "High Tech" engineering is, at best, still a little "Half Baked". The first question you need to ask yourself is, "How important is the feel of the car to me?" If you answer, "Not too important", then the E320 is probably a very good choice.

On the other hand, if you want to feel connected with what the car is doing and the road that you are driving over, then of the two, the 5-Series is probably the better choice. Then the question becomes, "Used 540iA or new 530iA?" From my perspective, if you can actually get the Slate Green 540iA for 44K, I would go for it, color and all, that is a pretty darned good deal. If in the end, it turns out that you will need to pay closer to TMV, then you need to determine whether the power of the 540iA is worth more than the color of a 530iA built to your specs.

Of course if it was me, a 44K 540iA is nowhere near enough enticement to buy a car with an automatic transmission, so the decision would be easy. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the feedback. This car would be my daily driver and of course handling is very important to me. My weekend car is a Boxster S with a six speed so I like to row my own too, but not every day. In NY weekends mean 6 months a year. The power, delivery and handling on the 540i is awsome and that's what really has my attention on this one. I wouldn't spend the 59k to 60k for a new one based on economical reasons. I have to decide this week because I think the dealer takes the car to auction by the end of the week to dump it. Something to dream about tonight....
    I understand NY traffic, my wife and I just moved from the NYC area last summer up here to New Hampshire. Through the 10 years in NY, the 13 previous years in Chicago, and a couple of years before that in Los Angeles, I drove a stick shift. Now I am laid up with a broken leg, my wife is driving my 530i and I am stuck with the family MiniVan. :-( I would Gladly trade driving a slushbox Caravan up here with this leg for the opportunity of driving a stick in NY traffic with a good leg any day. Hopefully, I can start driving my car again in a week or so. ;-)

Regarding your daily driver, go for the 540i, great machine. One thing to keep in mind, I had the tan interior in my previous BMW (1999 328i), and it is something of a pain to keep clean in the winter, that and scuff marks on door sills and seat edges are difficult to remove.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks and get better soon! I'll let you know my decision
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    My neighbor just traded his E55 for a 2003 E500, but had also considered a 540iA sport. The price that the BMW dealer went down to here (Atlanta area) for a perfect condition 11k miles car with navigation and all the goodies was $44.9k. If the one you are looking at does not have navigation, I think $44k is a realistic price.

My friend went for the E500 for two reasons - First, the Mercedes dealer gave him a much better deal on trading the E55 (they had a prospective buyer lined up in advance). Second, he is 6"4", his wife is 5'8" and they have three teenage kids all pushing 6'. The 5-series would have been a tight fit. I assume you have checked this out to your satisfaction.

Good luck on your decision. If you decide to go with a new 530iA, check up above for the latest on the never ending ED vs. US debate. As a Mercedes and Porsche owner (I've had both as well), you could lend some legitimacy to the claim that the BMW program / discounts are by far and away, the best in the industry.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    This discussion in BMW Owners has been edited and to include all future BMW owners (3-series, 5-series, etc.) seeking purchase through European delivery.

BMW Owners: European Delivery

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thanks Karen!

Shipo and others - may I suggest you either copy or link your recent ED posts into the discussion Karen links in her message?

That way, as I mentioned earlier, somone looking for information on ED sometime in the future will be able to find all that great information in one place.

:-)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    Go for the 540ia if you can live with the colors. I agree with what shipo said about the BMW beige interior; it is hard to keep clean, especially the carpets. I'd consider the clear plastic mats. Although I'm happy with the E-class MB, the 540i without meaning to use the cliche, is the ultimate driver with the SP.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    I have the sand interior and purchased brown floor mats from Griot's. The contrast is very nice to my eye.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    I am looking at a CPO BMW from a BMW dealer. It is 2001 530i. I just received the Vehicle summary sheet, and it lists four defect codes at the bottom and repair dates. Four defects seems like a lot. Then, again, they have certified the car. Does anyone know how to read the defect codes? Any thoughts on this car with four defect repairs so soon?
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    and have the codes explained. They could be factory upgrades/fixes. I would be concerned about the "defects" that aren't picked up by the OBC or noted by the dealer.

Good luck...JL
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    Any comments on black exterior on beige interior for a 530i? How do you think it looks? Pro's or cons? Any comments welcome. Thanks
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    Get black sapphire metallic. It is a little easier to keep in shape than jet black. Not as good looking though. Kind of grayish.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    I have a 3 series - Jet Black with Sand interior. Obviously, both colors are more difficult to maintain and keep looking clean. My BMW is more of a fun weekend car so I can keep it clean by not driving in snow and rain. The black exterior is somewhat frustrating. Wash it and only minutes later you can see the dust accumulate. But when clean, it's sharp! I get lots of compliments on the car. Also, black floor mats with this combo look fantastic with the other black interior colored pieces.
  • pap5pap5 Posts: 144
    Slate green or no, that sounds like a wonderful deal on a '02 540iA. Actually, it sounds a bit on the low side (you say you think you can get it for $44K -- what are they asking?). The question that comes to mind is whether the car has been CPO'd, i.e. covered by the BMW Certified Pre-owned Program. CPO cars are not cheap, because the cost of an extended warranty is built in. The fact that the car is priced well below book, and may be taken to auction, would make me suspicious. If the car is not CPO'd, why?
  • rick530rick530 Posts: 3
    I have an '01 530iA, PP. Does anyone know if the 18" M Parallel Spoke (styling 37M) found on older 740's will fit my car? I know the lug pattern is the same, but how about the wheel clearance for the brakes, etc?
    Are you ordering new wheels, or have you found a set from a 740i?

I'm thinking that it is unlikely that the Type 37 wheels from the older 740i will fit on your 530i. As it turns out, BMW does make that wheel style to fit the E39 Sedan (not the wagon), however, they are a different part number than the ones that fit the 7-Series.

Type 37 E39 5-Series Front: 36 11 2 229 635
    Type 37 E38 7-Series Front: 36 11 2 227 631
    Type 37 E39 5-Series Rear: 36 11 2 229 640
    Type 37 E38 7-Series Rear: 36 11 2 229 633

So, if you found a set from a 7-Series, you are probably out of luck.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    Yes - I know there is a "What did you pay" category - but it seems more of you are in this discussion so here goes:

Times are tough, new cars are not selling like dealers would like them, it is snowing in the midwest - has anyone purchased a NEW 530 at less than 2K over invoice?

Yes, I know about ED!!!

Thanks
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Posts: 51
    I paid 3% over invoice plus $180 in bs dealer prep fees, total about $1600 over invoice and took delivery in spartanburg.This is before state tax and , at the time, luxury tax on portion over 40K. The lux tax expired at end of 2002.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,458
    I live in the city and commute back and forth to the Bronx (Cross Bronx to West Side Highway...you know the traffic on these roads) everyday with a 5-speed manual, it's not as bad as you think. I love it:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    $1600 over invoice sounds fair - Did the dealer pay for your Spartanburg gig - airfare and hotel? Anyone have experience with this or is that asking to much?

Is there a luxury tax on a new 530?
    The Luxury tax expired on 31-Dec-2003. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The dealer claims it's CPO but according to BMW.COM, the CPO is on 2001's and older. I think the reason it's going to auction is the color combo. Slate green is very light like a pale forest green or powder green. I stopped by the dealer tonight on the way home when they were closing and it looked ok at night. I asked the mgr if they would accept 42k and he declined indicating he had to up for the cpo for $1200. I think I may offer $43.5 tomorrow and see if they jump. It may be my last opportunity to own a like new 540i at such a bargain price.(relatively speaking)Wish me luck!
    Bon Chance!
  • pap5pap5 Posts: 144
    Our first color choice on our '01 530i was slate green w/gray, before we went with topaz blue. Slate is a handsome color on an SP car with blackout trim. Don't know about the slate/sand combo, but at the price, who cares? Esp. if it is CPO. Good luck! Please post the results.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Either your date (i.e. 12/31/03) is wrong or your verb tense (i.e. expired) is. I thought the luxury tax expired at the end of 2002.
    I must have fat fingered that one, ;-)

When I wrote, "The Luxury tax expired on 31-Dec-2003. ;-)"

What I really meant to write is:

The Luxury tax expired on 31-Dec-2002. ;-)

Nice catch.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It seems that I have been pushing a little too hard to finish my current project prior to heading off to Taipei again next Monday. Not only has it been pointed out that I "Fat Finger" the date for the expiration of the "Luxury Tax", I have now been politely informed that failed to properly spell "Bonne". So without further ado:

2ndMB,

Bonne Chance!

Thanks to both Edward and Daan.

Best Regards,
    Shipo