Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    The BMW phone is well-integrated into the vehicle electronics and audio system, providing genuine hands-free operation and use of the steering wheel and radio controls to operate the phone functions. Unless you're a traveling salesman or otherwise enjoy spending $2000 on a $120 phone, though, the system is wildly expensive. As jb_shin says, there are after-market options available, but none as fully integrated as the dealer-installed option. And Bluetooth, while technologically cool, is expensive as well, not to mention US dealers aren't equipped to install it (yet).
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    When I bought my 530 i A Bimmer in 2001 I didn't exactly purchase it as a high "mileage car", I had another that fit that category. However, I was very pleasantly surprised on a great trip to LA that it averaged 28.8 mpg on the straightaways. No in -town mileage figures apply because I don't remember them. Needless to say, 28.8 mpg for this car to me is darn good for the speed I traveled there and back. Also, while there on that trip I didn't hold back at all on acceleration. Since then, most of my driving is around town with very little highway cruising which is what I love most along with twisty mountain roads !
    I average 22.8 mpg around town which is still very good.
  • blueox2blueox2 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the input on the phone. I would be amazed if the true cost of the phone parts and labor was anywhere near $2000. It makes me think the dealer is making a huge profit on each of these. But at that price point I can't believe they sell many. I'm sure if they cut the price in half, they would sell four times as many. $1000 is still steep mind you, but worth it if it helps you avoid getting in an accident.
  • zhangqjzhangqj Posts: 15
    Are you sure your father can pick the ED car for you in Munich? Is the car title in his name?
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    Can someone give me some hints how you take care of your leather interior? Particularly, what product(s) you found works the best and how often you use them. My intention is to keep my car for many years to come. Thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I don't have a 5-series, but on my S2000, I was advised by the dealer to use "Lexol" cleaner and treatment (2 different products) for the leather. They have also been used by a friend on his 1997 E420 for 6 years and it looks new on the inside.

I was forewarned to never use detergent or any product by Armor All on leather.
    Zhanggi,

You and others are correct that the BMW website does clearly state that the car must be picked up by the buyer. The salesman I'm working with was not aware of this rule until I informed him (after learning of it on this forum!). He's going to see what he can work out. Worst case scenario, I figure my father can buy the car and then sign over the title to me (I'll reimburse him of course!).
    Lexol Leather pH Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner. They are very good, although I've heard some good things about the BMW-specific formula available through dealers.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Careful you don't get hit with another set of sales taxes and registration fees when your father signs the title over to you. That would wipe out a big chunk of the ED savings.
    How often do you use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner?
    Since I have the rear sunshades up most of the time (protecting the seats from sunlight) and the rear bench rarely sees passengers, I've only cleaned and conditioned back there once since I bought the car 15 months ago. The front seats I've treated about four or five times in that time period. I have the tan leather, which I think shows stains the easiest from all the choices (with gray close behind). Even if you've got black leather and don't seem to notice any stains, though, use of the conditioner is important to help feed the leather with the lubricants and protectants to keep it from cracking and drying over time.
  • chrism124chrism124 Posts: 133
    Just curious if anybody has looked at the roadfly site to view the unoffical / official pictures of the new 5-series. If so what are your opinions. IMHO the exterior looks quite nice. But the interior has drifted away from the familiar cockpit design. While not as bad as the current 7-series, it just seems rather generic. The I-Drive appears to be a standard feature. I am very curious to drive one. The handling should be improved especially with the Active Steering.

Chris M
    I, too, overall like the exterior styling, and am amused by some of the virulent comments by E39 owners. I can't help but suspect many are instinctively expressing dismay in the hopes of honoring and prolonging the timelessness (and resale value) of the E39 design. In time, though, I have little doubt most will buy an E60.

As for the interior, I concur as well, and honestly like the E39 design better. The new A8 and E-class both are good examples of classy design incorporating a multi-function nav screen. The 7-series iDrive screen "pod"--centered and far away--feels cold and lacks harmony.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    Hey all! Just picked up my new beauty Sat night and was wondering if anybody purchased an extended warranty at time of purchase? Unfortunately there is no "BMW" extended warranty company so my dealer offered CNA National Warranty. Anybody ever heard of or used them? Or what other warranty companies have you used?

Thanks!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Apparently orders are already being placed for the new model in Germany, despite the fact that delivery will not be until October. Next Monday is the last possible date to place an order for the E39 out here.
  • msealsmseals Posts: 257
    I am not sure how it is in your states, but here in Michigan, there is no sales tax on registering your car if you transfer the car to or from immediate family. I have purchased a car from my dad before and they waived the sales tax since they assume it is staying in the household, regardless of how old the offspring is. I was married when I bought a car off my father and they still waived the sales tax.
  • pecclespeccles Posts: 52
    The gas mileage should get even better when they
    introduce valvetronic technology from the 4.4L
    V8. That coupled with a 6 speed automatic and people
    should be seeing 30+ mpg on the highway.

It doesn't seem valvetronic will make it in the
    '04 MY. Maybe BMW will introduce it on the 3.0L
    and 2.5L when the 3 series gets redone. By then
    they should introduce direct gas injection from the
    6.0L too. More power, better gas mileage, and
    lower emissions. Can't argue with that.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,537
    Or I'm sure you might be able to put both your names on the title and then just simply take his off when the car arrives here in the US.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I just picked up my new car today and took it for a quick ride. I can't believe how well it drives and handles. Looking forward to many drives to come.
  • Hi,
      I recently came across a guy who wanted to sell me his 2001 M5 for $30k. The bluebook value is close to 60k. I asked him why the price was so low, and he said that he needed the money bad. Im thinkin that htere's something wrong with the car, but he said there was nothing wrong. Any input? This car is very tempting.
    If he needs $30k bad, he probably could use $55k, which would sell the car rather quickly as well. You're right to be wary. Insist on getting an independent and knowledgeable BMW technician to check it out thoroughly, and run a CarFax report. As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true...
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    vinu_neuro... snagiel is right. This seems to be too good to be true. Check with the servicing dealer to see what work they've done on it. Check CarFax. Ask to see his service & maintenance records. Etc. But IF it checks out, I'd grab it in a second. Car should still be under warranty.

You should also check to see if the owner made any modifications. Don't want to void warranty or harm the car.

What is the mileage?
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    I just bought a 2003 530ia, with grey leather. I understand that the same products may not be recommended for leather care as for vinyl. Which parts of the interior are leather. Obviously the seats and wheel cover are. How about the door inserts, dash, and armrest? Thanks for any help.
  • rudikamprudikamp Posts: 34
    New models go on sale in Europe in July and in the
     U.S. in October 2003.
  • rudikamprudikamp Posts: 34
    New models go on sale in Europe in July and in the
     U.S. in October 2003.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    According to my friendly German sales guy working for BMW AG, they are currently taking orders/deposits, but the delivery won't be until October. The car will be introduced at the Frankfurt Autoshow, so July will be a bit too optimistic.

Further, E39 production ends in June, and to replace the tooling at the Dingolfing factory in a month, I am not so sure.
    Cowhide covers the steering wheel (perimeter, not hub), handbrake and shifter boot, the door inserts (around the handle), and, of course, the seats.

The dash and armrest are leather only in the M5.

{The only one I'm not certain about is the door inserts, but I'm fairly confident of that.}
    Mseals and habitat1,

You're right that signing over the title may result in getting hit with sales tax again. The solution we have arrived at is to have the certificate of origin and the subsequent title in BOTH our names. My bank said this was fine as long as my father signs a form stating he understands the car will have a lein on it when I take out the loan.
  • mod62mod62 Posts: 38
    With all this talk about SP v Non - SP, the shaking in my steering wheel was caused by two bent rims on my non-sport! How is this possible?
    I guess aluminum is aluminum.
    Could air pressure cause this? I keep mine at 36F/44R

Thanks,
    Mike