Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• It is my understanding that the steptronic was not available in the 528i until MY2000. 1999 would have been the earliest, but I do not believe it was in that MY.
  • I am looking at the purchase of a '97 540i with basically all of the options. My question is the car has 57000 miles, is in excellent condition, and from test drives appears to be sound. What risks are known about the mechanical systems of this car, its general durability, and overall performance in the higher milage part of its life? Looking for advice here. Appreciate any input.
  • mtl3mtl3 Posts: 22
    You might want to look at www.bimmer.org. They have an extensive posting, FAQ's, archives, etc. by make and model.
  • mpk214mpk214 Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 528i. I have the vin numbner. How would I go about finding out the warranty history or any other history on the vehicle... thanks
  • cb44cb44 Posts: 87
    mpk214,

Try carfax, which may offer one search free:

www.carfax.com/
  • hoehnjchoehnjc Posts: 41
    mpk214,

You may also try contacting BMW 800 number. They may help if you have the vin number. Just an idea. The local BMW dealer in the area where you are considering purchasing it form may also have some records from the vehicle if they serviced it in the past. Food for thought.
  • I recently acquired a 94 525i in very good condition. Today the automatic door locks started to act up. When you first lock the door (from the inside or outside) all the locks enable for about a second or two then they unlock. When locked a second time, they remain locked. Any ideas here?? This has never happened before today.
    Thanks for the inputs!
  • starbmwstarbmw Posts: 3
    It is finally official. The new look 5 series at BMW.com (not BMWUSA.com). I think the car looks great although I would have preferred the cut out treatment that the headlights get on the 3 and 7 series. Does anyone know why they chose not to update to that look like they did when they updated the 7 series?
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Posts: 140
    are you sure about the web site ? I can't get in.
    Yes it is bmw.com. just click on english on the first screen. There will be a big 5 on the next screen. Click on it and you will be there.
    I too, tried the web site and had difficulties accessing it yesterday. I did see some 5 series pics. The few I saw did not represent the US version as displayed in the dealers brochures. It has amber front and rear turn lenses. The brochure specifically mentions and shows clear lenses. It also did not show the new headlights as best I could tell. It also showed a vehicle with the black molding. The molding is matched to the vehicle color this year. It may be a sports package option. But, I would think they would highlight the matched molding to show the new difference rather than the same black molding. So I am not sure if it is really the US model displayed on the BMW.com website. I would suggest you look at the pics on the bimmer.org website or visit your local dealer for their brochure.
    I can't imagine why you guys can't see what I am seeing. On the right hand side of the BMW.com homepage is a huge #5 and under it it says 520i, 525i and 530i. You click there any you link up to a complete audio video presentation that lets you view all three models as well as listen to the new 530i engine. The body molding matches the paint colour and the lights have all been redone as well as the front kidney grill. There is no question that this is the 2001 version unless the BMW website is lying....come on guys....figure it out....
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,674
    Hey, give us a break. We're car aficianados (sp?), not computer jocks. :)
    No need to get upset. The "huge 5" picture you refer to apparently changes. It was a Huge M5 link when I connected.

I did just view the site though. It is in fact a 01 but some pics still show the amber lenses. The web site is by far the worst site I have visited on the web. It takes to long to load and is not very easy to navigate around. I am glad they design awsome vehicles and not focus on web pages. I got tired of waiting for their fancy downloads to view much more. I'll simply wait for mine to arrive.
  • edu328edu328 Posts: 9
    I saw it on the site! What a beauty!
    How can people compare this car to an Audi A6?
  • ssusmssusm Posts: 5
    I'm seriously considering ordering a '01 530. My dealer has indicated that there is a Sept production model available. Anyone know if they are going ABOVE MSRP?
    The website pictures StarBMW is referring to are on the BMW home page, not the BMWUSA home page. Go to www.bmw.com, select english and there you are. Click on the big 5 and you are off and running. Be warned. It's very slow.
    ssum,

I am sure you will find a dealer who will tell you his story why they are above MSRP. I am syurprised he has a Sep production available. The fact is that many people are getting some type of discount on the vehicle. My local dealer here in OH just received an allotment of 3 more 530's (Oct production) of which 1 of them is already sold. Can't tell you what kind of discount if any he is offering. I have a Sep production model scheduled to be built in week 38 (Sep 18 00). I would suggest that you check out www.bimmer.com under 5 series (E39) and look at the numerous pricing, pics, and option articles. You may have to search the archives also to find many of the earlier articles that may be very informative. Good luck.
    It is www.bimmer.org not .com. Sorry
    Thanks, Hoehnjc. Actually, he is talking about an Oct. production run. I mistyped (?) earlier. I'm not expecting to pay over MSRP, just wondering if I have a chance of paying anything under. Thanks for the url. I'll check it out.
    Thanks, Hoehnjc. Actually, he is talking about an Oct. production run. I mistyped (?) earlier. I'm not expecting to pay over MSRP, just wondering if I have a chance of paying anything under. Thanks for the url. I'll check it out.
    ssusm,

Noticed you are in Houston. Did not see a e-mail address so let me pass this to you. I searched several dealers in TX, San Antonio, Dallas, Ft Worth, and Arlington. NONE of them would budge on a 528 when I was shopping a few months ago. I did come across a dealer in Beaumont who was willing to work with me on the 528 but not sure if she will work on a 530 this early in the game. You may want to try them.
  • jccsscjccssc Posts: 44
    I just picked up a 00' 528i. What a beauty!! I've never owned a bimmer before, but I always dream of having one. It is a sport-premium pkg, xenon, moonroof, steptronic in Anchracite ext. and grey leather interior. The dealer I go to is very friendly and willing to negotiate to give me a good deal. I think part of the reason is they do have a lot of 528i still on the lot, and they have to make room for 530i & 525i.

I love everything about the car except it does not have a cd player or cd changer. If I order one through the dealer, it'll cost me big dough!! Does anybody know if I go to stereo shops and install a cd changer there, am I risking to void the warranty on the car?? I will probably save 60% $ if I go outside for a cd changer.

Also, dealer told me it will take 15000 miles before service/oil change. Any feedback if that sound reasonable??
    jccssc,

Congrats on your new 528. Where do you live? It sounds like the one BMW delivered to me in error last month that I refused delivery of. Color and interior etc... I am waiting for 530 to arrive now.

CD player - I don't believe it will void any warranty BUT I have heard from many people that many after market changers will NOT work on the BMW due to BMW specific designs. Best Buy informed me that only BMW designed changers would work on the pre-wired connections. I would STRONGLY suggest that you do the following: 1. Contact PacificBMW at http://www.pacificbmw.com/parts/specials/e39_special_frame.htm and find the in trunk unit they have for sell for $373 + install kit about $15.00. 2. Visit the www.bimmer.org web site and search the 5 series E39 archives for cd player posts. There are MANY! I would not trust another after market store to butcher your car for a changeer. The in trunk unit available is easy to install yourself and already designed to work on the 5 series.

Oil changes - Again, MANY posts in bimmer.org web site. I got tired of reading them all. Bottom line is that the dealer follows the car computer for their included maintenance. Some will change at normal intervals 3-5K miles etc... Personal choice.
  • Just ordered a 530i for Oct production. I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area and got $800 off msrp. There are dealers in the area however, that are adding on to the sticker price.
    Beautiful car, new bimmer owner, don't know how I'll get through the 2 month wait!!!
    Florida driver,

I know the waiting feeling. I have to wait 4 months for mine. I originally ordered my 528 last June and waited and waited... Tracked its progress and travel across the ocean... Finally, it arrived! Wrong color, interior and options!!!!! Now I am waiting for my 530 to arrive. I finially broke down and told the kids I ordered it because I was ready to explode after holding out on them for the first 1 1/2 months. Couldn't wait any longer to tell them. Now we ALL wait in anticipation. Good luck on yours.
  • bernard1bernard1 Posts: 58
    Congrats on your new bimmer!!! There are dealers in my area willing to deal on new in stock 528i. I was told 1.5K over cost. Dealer had about 8 in stock.

We are looking at a 530i for my wife so we are trying to get a good deal.

Oil change interval is one year or whenever the service lights indicate one is due. We own a 00 M-roadster and took ours in for it's oil change after the one year time frame. We have 4700 trouble free miles.
  • tedt1tedt1 Posts: 1
    RE:2001 Pricing: To the individual who was able to negotiate a $3,600 discount on a new 530I, I would be interested in knowing the dealer name/contact. I am in the market for a new 528I/530I and have not found any dealer willing to discount more than $2,000.
  • jccsscjccssc Posts: 44
    "tedt1" - i think you have a better chance to negotiate on a new 00' 528i than a 01' 530i. Most dealers I visited when I shopped for my 528i are more "flexible" on 528i prices. I don't think anybody can do lower than MSRP on 530i. "hoehnjc" got a discount on the 530i is because the dealer messed up with his 528i order.

"bernard1" - Thanks for your input. I did get a deal similar to what you were saying - $1500 over cost on my 528i. For me, 00' 528i and 01' 530i are both GREAT cars to drive. Since I can get a good deal on a new 528i, therefore I just go for it instead of paying MSRP on the 530i.
  • mgdavismgdavis Posts: 5
    Well, it's been just over a month since I purchased my '97 540. Would have filed this earlier, but I've spent too much time behind the wheel! As if there is such a thing as too much time behind a BMW wheel. Have finally managed to wipe the last vestiges of the seemingly permanent insane leer off of my ugly mug.

Thought about new 528's, about the same money +/- a bit, but saw a black/black 540 on the pre-owned lot at Advantage in Houston. Yes, I got screwed on the price, but it was the ONLY 540 new or used that I'd seen after checking three BMW (2 in Houston and one in Pensacola) dealers.

Highs: Previous owner left K40 in the bumpers. FAST! Comfy as it can get. FAST! Neat right-side mirror reverse thing. FAST! Beautiful. FAST! Handles like it's glued to the pavement. Pretty darn quick. Safest luxury sedan (Source: Boca Raton magazine, Sep/Oct 00). Did I mention it's FAST?

Lows: $52,000 (new MSRP, b4 lux) car without a CD player???? Will be clicking that Pacific BMW parts shop link real soon. No automatic door locks. $149 for a spare key??? Cruise on/off button on dash. 131 MPH speed governor (yes, I've bounced off of it).

Questions: Anyone know if the Nakamichi glovebox changer can be run in parallel with a trunk unit? Is the Naka unit install a D-I-Y job like the trunk, or will a dealer have to futz with it?

What are the major service intervals? 30K/60K/90K?

It came with Yokahamas that have about 20K left, given my driving habits. Any advice from long-term owners on replacement performance rubber?

Gentlemen, I have never been able to keep a car longer than 18 months or so. The only reason I'd ever get rid of Darth Vader (hehe) is for a newer one with a stick. From me, that's stratospheric praise. Enjoy yours, all. If you are still thinking about one, STOP. Go out and get your 5 series NOW.