Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I suffered 5 bent rim events on my 1995 VW Passat GLX (factory rims were a single piece BBS design) while living in the NYC metro area between 1995 and 1999. As a result, I ordered my 1999 328i without the SP, and while it was a fine car for my needs, the day I spent driving Brave1Heart's (of 3-Series discussion fame) 2001 325i with SP in December of 2001 convinced to take the risk of a bent rim or two on my next car. So far, after a year and 14,000 plus miles initially in the NYC metro area, and now in the Boston metro area, I haven't bent a rim, yet.

An interesting item of note, my 530i with the Sport Package includes the Type 42 "Cross Spoke Composite Wheel II" two piece (if you don't count the bolts) wheels (which can be had from PacificBMW.com for $416.40). I find myself wondering if just the rim component can be replaced in the event of an unscheduled encounter with a pot-hole. If so, is that less expensive than simply buying a new wheel? Either way, I am glad I opted for the Sport Package and of course the requisite separate set of winter wheels and tires from tirerack.com (about $1,000) for the winter months.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwgurubmwguru Posts: 51
    You can't replace sections of the wheel. It is only sold as a unit. I wouldn't let the roads scare me from buying the Sports package. You can bend any wheel.
  • diver110diver110 Posts: 67
    Shipo. Now that you mention it, I think it is the winter about which I heard the most complaints. Of course, changing out the wheels would fix that. Is it possible to convert a nonsport package (like mine) into a sport one, and if yes, can you do it in stages and thereby test out the ride? I have heard that tires and wheels are the most important part. True, not? (Obviously, I am a new BMW owner (2000 540i wagon).
    "Is it possible to convert a nonsport package (like mine) into a sport one, and if yes, can you do it in stages and thereby test out the ride?"

For the most part, yes (the "M Sport Package" for the wagon offers lots of goodies that have nothing to do with the suspension). That said; you will probably be best served by opting for non-BMW suspension components (as in Dinan and other aftermarket suppliers). If you want the factory look, you can buy BMW wheels from several sources on the internet such as ebay.com (new and used), roadfly.com (new and used) and of course the previously mentioned pacificbmw.com. If you don't need to have BMW wheels, then tirerack.com is a good place to start for wheels and tires.

Once you have the tires (which like you said, are probably the most important component), you can start the shopping for the other goodies. Were I you I would start on the Dinan site http://www.dinanbmw.com and go from there. Good luck, let us know how you fare.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Does that mean you will be out of touch? I hope not -- you should try very hard to check in mid-week or so...

:)
    Fortunately (or otherwise) this is a business trip (at least the London part), and (for me at least) by definition, that means that I will have access to the internet. So, other than being a few hours earlier than most folks, I will still be around. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Two tips of the old hat to Muzzy all 95 pounds of her, she is a TRUE enthusiast ! That has got to be one of the best stories I've seen on these posts. I loved it. I have to tell you this story.... my wife and I were motoring north of SF in Marin county headed for Sonoma county's wine area and ahead of me going about 75 miles per was a vintage 1968 2002. As I caught up to the driver I noticed it was a she and honked not expecting a glance but
    she did and I gave her the "thumbs up" sign and she just lit up with the widest grin you have ever seen, it was priceless ! What a beautiful car.
    ...still feeling young enough to enjoy driving a nice Bimmer... Priceless! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Cool - well check the front page around Thursday or so and have a great trip.

;->
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 67
    I once was sitting in my office when one of my employees came in and asked me why all my windows, including sunroof, were open. The car was in a lot that was right below I-95 so it may have picked up a signal from above. Very mysterious.
  • sirtigersirtiger Posts: 38
    Also an additional note... the spare tire is a exact full size tire & alloy rim. A nice touch by the manufacturer. I am not sure if that holds true for all BMW makes.

I thought that may be handy if I ever need to swap a bent rim but want to hold off shelling more money or just get whole new set. At first glance, I always notice the rims & headlights.
  • msealsmseals Posts: 257
    I am not certain, but I believe the steptronic came out in 2000 MY for the 3er and 5er.

Mark
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    You don't have to buy a new rim every time you happen to bend one. There are several shops that fix bent alloy's. I had plenty of BMW alloys fixed when I lived in the snow belt. It's amazing what damage they can fix - usually costs $100 to $150. The back of Bimmer magazine has a bunch of wheel straightening advertisements. I used a local shop in Denver that did a great job.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    My new 530i SP went through one of Atlanta's best carwashes and the front/left wheel emerged with a scratch when pulled into the lane too sharply by the attendant.

Pointed out to the Mgr and he agreed to have the wheel refinished. You'd never know there was a scratch! Understand they can fix a wheel that has been "curbed" and bent also.
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    What is the popular one to join, think it cost $35.00 or so?

Thanks
    heh, well the BMW 5-Series Owners Club in the Town Hall is totally free! :-)

Just follow the link at the top of the page!
    Had my car for 5 months now with 2600 miles. I notice something amazing the other day......I slowly pushed my 530 a bit over 115mph and I was shock to see the RPM under 3K. The car didn't shake or felt scary at all which was expected. But under 3K RPMs?? All I have to say is WOW!

Other interesting thing I noticed was that when I push the car hard suddenly, it has a slight delay in moving but once it moves...it jolts quickly. I also notice sometimes it likes to hang over 4K RPMs as long as it can. The fun factor combined with refinement is like no car I have ever driven so far.

Does anyone know what happen to SNAGIEL's stolen 530i? The story was getting interesting and was curious if there are any new developments. I bet he defected and having fun in the G35 club. :)
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    RPMs are product of gearing not power. In a sense the lower your RPMs are the less power you have at the particular speed. Try to accelerate from 115mph to say 130mph and it will take forever. My car turns 3500 RPMs at 115mph but it would get to 130mph much much quicker.
    I wouldn't have expectation that I would push 230 @ 6K RPMs (even though there is a governed speed). My previous experience with Nissans, Toyotas, and various other makes would nearly redline & scream at that speed. Its very impressive how it handles in twisties & high speeds...
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    Besides a great club. Benefits include discounts on BMW parts, Cash rebates off new BWM and CPO from $500 to $1500 depending on model and whether new or CPO. You must be a member for a year prior to requesting a rebate. Great monthly mag and a small price to pay ($35 yrly) for a great club.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,458
    I just joined last night. I'm expecting my first issue of Roundel in about 6 weeks.

The $500 discount on my first 3er (4-5 years away) will be well worth it!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    Indeed I "defected," but I continue to keep an eye on this forum and the new 5's development/introduction.

Regarding the theft, I'm currently speaking to a lawyer and can't discuss much at the moment, but I'll update when I can.
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    Besides a great club. Benefits include discounts on BMW parts, Cash rebates off new BWM and CPO from $500 to $1500 depending on model and whether new or CPO. You must be a member for a year prior to requesting a rebate. Great monthly mag and a small price to pay ($35 yrly) for a great club.
    SNagiel wound up getting a good settlement for his 530i, and he bought a G35 Coupe with the money.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    did the police investigation into the unordered-by-him duplicate key get anywhere?
    yes, I was aware of the generous settlement. That was one of the many reasons I bought a BMW... it retains it value well (not that I would considering trading it for anything else!). Originally I considered looking for a low mileage 540 or M5 which was near impossible to find. This shows that these are keepers.

The investigation of the potential dup. keys were getting quite interesting. Car theft is getting very sophisicated.
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    I also have a 530, an '02 with 5-spd. man. I'm pretty sure that my car turns 3000 rpm at about >80 mph<. I'm surprised to hear you doing 115 mph (not kph) at that rpm. Even if you have an auto., I don't think it's geared that differently. Sure your tach is reading right?
    I noted that I climbed conservatively to a tad >115 not flooring to >115. I couldn't believe at first but I am certain w/o a doubt that I saw around 3K RPMS. It appears that SergeyM experience 3500 RPMs at that speed. I give the opportunity that my tach is off but I know what I saw. I am sure the people who bought the 530i via Euro del. would have some input to this as well.

Though I was driving that fast, I don't condone others to drive recklessly. I was driving my car 6am on a Sunday on dry pavement with good visibility of the road. Its nice to freely drive and see what this car was capable of once in a blue moon.
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    sirtiger, we'll overlook the issue of high speeds on public roads, I'll just assume your experience was on a "closed course", heh-heh. However, gear ratios are what they are, and whether you romped on it to get to that speed or eased up to it, I just don't think a 530 turns 3000 rpm at 115 mph. I'm pretty sure of this because my old '91 525 would go 70 mph at 3000 rpm, and I particularly noted that my 530 would do 80 mph at that engine speed. The gear ratio is fixed when you're in 5th, so if my 530 turns 3000 rpm at 80 mph, it should turn about 4300 rpm at 115 mph.

Something sounds off. Can anybody clarify?