Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• msealsmseals Posts: 257
    I live in Metro Detroit and we have had some pretty bad winters over the years and hands down, my 528i is the best handling car I have ever driven in the snow aside from my 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the only advantage that had over the 5er is the sheer size of the tires based on the amount of snow that we got. That being said, the GCL had a tendancy to collect snow and ice on the wheels causing a servere shimmy on the tires while driving.

Mark
  • ctorrey2ctorrey2 Posts: 17
    While I haven't owned a BMW since unloading my 535i in 98, I can say that my '01 Audi A6 4.2 quattro is virtually unstoppable in snow (especially with ESP on). Even with summer tires, it easily handled the MA/NH winter of '02/'03. In fact, there were a few instances that I was able to get through snow that a friend's Jeep GC couldn't, not to mention my father's 4WD Tundra. With the adjustable ground clearance and winter tires, I can only imagine how well the allroad would handle adverse driving conditions.

I have heard that BMW 5 series' equipped with DSC and winter tires are pretty good in the snow relative to the older cars (my '91 535i was a nightmare in the snow and only needed about 2" to render it undrivable). Hard to say for sure, but you can't miss with the new allroad 4.2. The Audi V8's are amazing!
  • beemer4mebeemer4me Posts: 42
    my only complaint about my new 530. With ashtrays in the center console and both rear doors,BMW sure has favored the smoker over the sipper.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,246
    I can attest that there are many more smokers than sippers.

Those who shun Audis & BMWs because they lack cupholders probably ought to be driving something else in the first place.

Many other manufacturers generate vehicles with cupholders-aplenty. If that's the deciding factor. . .
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Ahhh. The old cupholders debate. My last vehicle had 17. I'm now down to 4. I almost didn't buy the Bimmer, unless I got more cupholders. :)
  • sirtigersirtiger Posts: 38
    oh no... not the cupholders issue... A oldie but a goodie complaint..... :(
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    In Germany, one actually has to pay for those ashtrays. It would have been nice to be able to delete that thing. BMW NA really needs to work on getting their options and ordering process straightened out.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    One needs to realize that several European countries, like Sweden, prohibit drinking and driving or any type. Therefore, you are not likely to find a lot of cupholders in many European cars.

-Paul
  • ii31ii31 Posts: 24
    Hello All,

Does anyone know how to disable factor
    alarm in a 2000 BMW 540?

Dealer fixed false alarm problem 2 weeks
    ago by replacing a faulty sensor. It's
    going off again (2am last night *URGH*).

Is there anyway to just lock the doors
    WITHOUT any alarm? Thanks

Imran
  • I am looking at a new 530. Just saw the Slate Green which I kind of like but have some concerns that when it comes time to resell, it may not be that desirable. The other option is Orient Blue. The darker car probably looks classier but having Oxford Green now I know they show every nick, scratch, etc. The salesman suggested I would be better off for resale with the Orient Blue but I wasn't sure if that was because he has 3 of those versus one of the Slate Green.
    Anyone care to offer me any advice on these color options? Help would be most appreciated
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    My 540i6 has three ashtrays (one front and two rear) and four cupholders (two front and rear). Seems like both sippers and smokers are equally valued.
  • beemer4mebeemer4me Posts: 42
    if you think only about resale value you could end up getting a car whose appearance you hate and are thus forced to "re-sell" it sooner...jmho

PS, I'd make up my mind soon, only a few more days left for the 4k incentive on the 530.
    Hello All,

Does anyone know how to disable factor
    alarm in a 2000 BMW 540?

Dealer fixed false alarm problem 2 weeks
    ago by replacing a faulty sensor. It's
    going off again (2am last night *URGH*).

Is there anyway to just lock the doors
    WITHOUT any alarm? Thanks

Imran
    Sorry about the second post. It
    is the result of an innocent 'Reload'.

Imran
  • Orient Blue all the way...even though I myself have Titanium Silver
    other than silver, orient blue is probably the most popular color in Germany. There is black, too, but orient blue always catches my eyes. Had it been available for 2002 model year, that would have been the color of our E39. Having had 3 black cars in the family, I swore never a dark color again, but it looked so good. Sterling silver also looks very good, and could be easier to keep clean.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    JB,

Concern with winter is all too real. If I had only one car it would have to be AWD. Also, something rarely considered, AWD is superior in the rain. I believe it will be standard on most cars in the future, not only wagons. The safety and handling factors are just too beneficial. I have a 530 and Subaru Outback and understand roadlust vs practical. Perhaps you can have it both ways by getting a bargain used AWD wagon for sheer utility. Good luck.
  • sharrissharris Posts: 32
    I have a 2003 530i in Slate Green. Have had nothing but very enthusiastic compliments on the color, from both men and women. I really wouldn't worry about resale if this is the color you prefer. Even if, when you ultimately sell the car, it takes a tad longer to sell or you get $500 less than you might have if it were a different color, so what? Get what you like and enjoy it while you own it.

BTW, I just washed, polished, and glazed my Slate Green 530 with Klasse this past weekend. As my girlfriend said, it looks like a jewel.
    Finally got my DVD from BMW NA with all 8 of the short films. Too bad all of the 2nd batch use the Z4. But they are all interesting.
    According to DW, Germany's public broadcaster, in today's Business Brief:

1. BMW is considering expanding U.S. production facilities in USA. Considering further increasing production at Spartanburg SC plant, where Z4 and X5 now built.

2. BMW aims to sell 300,000 cars in the United States each year, up from 232,000 vehicles sold in USA in 2002.

3. In May, US overtook Germany as BMW's largest market. (Wonder if this means we'll get better cupholders and other American-desired amenties?)
  • 04ctsv04ctsv Posts: 13
    Needs some advice...I'm looking at a '97 540i manual on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=6008&item=2420440949 I'm wondering if it's safe to buy a car like this with out occuring exstensive repair costs...and if there's a warranty I can purchace to help cover them, in the event of the unexpected...car looks to be in good condition with 68k mi, and has salvage title from being smashed in the front, which was pretty much cosmentic...what do you guys think???
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Glad to here someone finally got a copy of the dvd. I have been waiting so long that I feared it just wasn't going to happen. Maybe it will be in the mail this weekend. Beat the Devil is my favorite from this collection. Love the characters, especially the "devil" and M Manson.
    It is hard to believe that it was "salvaged" just because of the the front end damage, In order for a car to have a salvage title, it would have to have been stolen and recovered, totalled, or flooded, etc. There are plenty other around, I would walk away, better yet, run away. Also try using Carfax, although it is not perfect, it could help you discover any "irregularities".
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I second jb_shin: run away from this one.

I'm not sure I could give a better example of the type of car / seller to avoid in looking for a used BMW. The car itself is highly suspicious. It's been "upgrated" (sic) to 2001 M5. Including the "greel". And the interior leather has just normal "ware". The salvage title explanation is a crock.

My advice is to find a late model BMW being sold by someone you can meet face to face. They should have all maintenance records and look/sound like the type of person who could have afforded a $50k+ car in the first place. I believe the quality of the previous (and preferably only/original) owner is as important as the appearance of the car.

Shopping E-Bay makes it difficult to evaluate the seller, but one giveaway for me is that they should be able to spell.
  • I am picking up a new 530. It currently has Pirelli P6's on but I have read about some problems with the sidewalls. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these tires?
     My 97 528 has had two sets of Continental Contitours and I have been satisfied with them and inclined to switch for those.
  • Hey folks, I just love lurking here. There is just so much good info. A newbie like me seriously needs it, and I've learned a ton.

Anyway, squeezed into my first bimmer. 525, 5sp, PP, CWP, Titanium/black. I negotiated for 4 months with countless dealers and finally brought my baby home on June 19th. Yes, I know the 2.5L sucks, but I couldn't afford a 530. I'll just drive like a granny until I can buy a 530.

Unfortunately, you can imagine my disappointment when the "service engine soon" light comes on just as the car hits 100 miles. No, I didn't mess with the gas cap; I was still on my first tank. Dealer fixes it. Tells me the cap must have come loose. No problem. The love affair continues. Now, it's two days later and the same light comes on again. Ugh.

Someone please hold me and tell me it's going to be ok. I've fallen in love with the e39; I've got the bimmer bug. But this problem is starting to worry me, and it's making me think that the A6 was looking pretty good.
    fielding_yost... When they fixed it, what did they say was the matter? The specific probem code.

With the OBDII and other systems, there are a ton of these problems in nearly all marques and models today. I keep hearing two things related to fueling:

1. Follow the instructions exactly when putting the fuel filler cap back on.

2. Fill up with the key OUT of the ignition. Do NOT fill up with the key in the ignition running the electrical systems. Turn the car off completely when refueling. Put the key back in after you have filled up and closed the fuel filler cap and door.

Following these two instructions, my wife and I have put about 55,000 miles on our two BMWs with only a single incident. Shortly after she got her's, she filled her tank up and forgot #2 above. (I do most of the refueling.)
    carshopper46... What did you read was the problem? I'd use the P6s.

Can't imagine replacing perfectly good new tires in a new car. Seems like a huge waste of money. Esp. if you keep plain Jane all-season tires like the ContiTouringContacts.

If you are inclined to change tires, you might consider dedicated 3-season high performance tires (e.g., ContiSportContact or ContiSportContact2s) in spring-summer-fall and dedicated winter tires in winter.
  • Thanks for the response, riez. Before I posted my message, I read your excellent post from 2002, explaining the same problem. I haven't touched the fuel cap since I took delivery. That's why I'm getting a little concerned. After the dealership "fixed" the service engine light, they said that the salesman probably didn't close the cap properly before I took delivery. They didn't tell me the actual code, but they said that it was the code indicating that the cap was not closed properly (I assume that means that gas pressure wasn't being maintained). They checked the cap, the seal, blah, blah, blah. Everything was fine (purportedly).

I haven't even opened the fuel lid, let alone the cap, since that service visit two days ago. I've got a bad feeling about this.
  • 04ctsv04ctsv Posts: 13
    Thanks fellas...I offered this guy 15k for grins and he seems to be looking for retail value + good luck...