Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• vicportlandvicportland Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago and even drove down to the local BMW dealer to check out a used 2004 525i. Turns out that the 2006 and 2007 models have 30 more horsepower than the 2004 and 2005 versions (now 215 instead of 185). Of course the price also increased so you probably get what you pay for. In my case, I didn't think a BMW with a vehicle weight of ~3400 pounds and only 185 hp was going to cut it so I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. By limiting the options, it wasn't that much more expensive than a 2004. Especially with 4 years of free maintenance. Also, the 2007 model gives you 4 years of emergency roadside assistance (like onstar) at no cost.

I also test drove a 330i (new) and while it was a great ride, I am used to a bit more interior room so I opted for a 5-series.

Good luck with your car shopping. I owned a 1992 325i for 6 years and loved it! I eventually sold it to my dad (so I could pay for home improvements), but finally got the bug to enjoy the driving experience again.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    I don't know the particulars, but IIRC the 2004--being the first year for the e60--had several glitches which were remedied for 2005 and later.

I believe they were software problems; dunno about anything else. You might try a search.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Lease programs, if that would fit you, make a 2007 on a lease difficult to pass up.

The newer 525 have the higher output engine -- and it needs the extra boost.
  • macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    I also test drove a new 325 and 525 in December 2005 and opted for the 2006 525 (prem., auto, xenon). Much more interior space and I dont feel as though I missed out on anything with the options I chose. Occasionally I wish I looked into a 530 but since I did not test drive one I am not sure if the extra hp makes enough of a difference. I have even looked into replacing my 2003 E320 with a 330i (for the superior drive experience) but in the end I dont feel I would be happy with the lack of interior space of the 3 series.

macdad
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    Have not visited here lately and can't believe one of the first threads I read is from Shipo - wow. We spoke about three years ago when I bought my 02 CPO - LOL.

Anyways, I now have 75K on my 02 and am contemplating getting rid of it before:

1. It gets to 100K miles and the value really drops
    2. I have to deal with a new transmission at about 100K miles. Never had a problem with the car yet, and I am a novice here with this question - but how long do these transmissions last considering they are well taken care of.
    3. Does CPO cover a new tranny should it go before 100K miles?

Thanks
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Anyways, I now have 75K on my 02 and am contemplating getting rid of it before:

1. It gets to 100K miles and the value really drops
    2. I have to deal with a new transmission at about 100K miles. Never had a problem with the car yet, and I am a novice here with this question - but how long do these transmissions last considering they are well taken care of.
    3. Does CPO cover a new tranny should it go before 100K miles?

1. I sold my wife's 130K 1997 528iA for @$9000 late last year.
    2. I'd say that you will get no less than 150K out of the autobox- assuming the fluid is changed at 60K to 100K intervals.
    3. The CPO warranty covers the autobox to 100K-after you've paid the $50 CPO deductible.

If you like the car I'd drive it into the ground. Here's how to do it in a financially responsible fashion:
    Join BMW CCA.
    Buy the E39 Bentley manual and learn to do the simple jobs-such as oil changes, Inspection I, and brakes-yourself. Find a good BMW indie shop to do everything else.
    Continue to enjoy driving what is still widely regarded as the world's finest sport sedan.
    Laugh at the guys who take a huge hit on depreciation by buying new and trading every 3-4 years.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey David, long time, no post. Said another way, yes, I'm still here. :blush:

Regarding your questions, ummmm, what div2 said. ;-)

Were I in your shoes, unless I found a compelling reason to buy a new car (as in I just had to have an E60), I'd hang on to your E39 and drive it until it drops. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Triple--the e39 is a great car. Figure out what a new car of equal goodness would cost you in payments, and bank that every month. Fix simple things on your own, and find a good indie. You will have a perfectly-running car, and your bankroll will grow.

I can offer advice for indies near chicago.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A new discussion has been created to talk about 5-Series Tires. Some recent posts have been moved there.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    It just hit me. E39 is being spoken about with that distinct, reverent, historical patina. I never thought it would come to this because the car always seemed to be the standard bearer, as fresh as a spring rain. Anyway, we must move forward, nothing can bring back the original splendor. Roll out the red carpet, sound the trumpets. Mark it down. July 28, 2006, the day E39 ascended to its rightful historical status.

Tahn-ta-DA!!! It’s official. E39 is now a “good ol’ car!”

;)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Triple--the e39 is a great car. Figure out what a new car of equal goodness would cost you in payments, and bank that every month. Fix simple things on your own, and find a good indie. You will have a perfectly-running car, and your bankroll will grow.

I would have gladly kept my wife's E39 had it not been for the fact that at the time I thought I would need to keep a US built vehicle in my garage. Now it turns out that I don't have to, so the Jeep will almost certainly be replaced by an E36/E46, an E39, or, somewhat less likely, a Mini Cooper S or GTI DSG.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I'll second your proclamation and drink to it as well!
  • lc22lc22 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to the BMW family. I purchased a 2007 530 xi on April 10th. Yesterday, with only 4000 miles on the car, the AWD-DTC light came on. Then the "start up assistance malfunction" button came on. :mad:

I called the dealer and they said it was a steering wheel sensor and they are on a national back order (wide spread problem). It does not leave you with a good feeling after buying a brand new car.

Does anyone know if this will cause more problems or if everything will be OK after it is corrected once?

Thanks for your help,
    LC
  • dmargo2dmargo2 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone seen or used the night vision feature. I want to have my dad buy a 530xi with it..but I want to make sure it's as good as it sounds. Thanks Dave
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    5-Series: Next E60. Come join!
  • bookedupbookedup Member Posts: 17
    I love my new CPO 03 530i with manual transmission and SP but would like to spruce up the appearance of the rear of the vehicle. I'm considering a rear deck spoiler but don't know what type to get. Any recommendations? also, any ideas on what else (aftermarket or OEM) I can add to improve the look of the back end of the vehicle. It just looks sooo plain, as is. Front end looks GREAT.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,

Rob
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I'd suggest that anything more than the e39 M5 lip spoiler would ruin the wonderful e39 lines, which I also drive.

Have owned my '03 530SP since off the boat and it was pristine until today, when our local water ban forced me to attempt a carwash - one I've used before and one that has one of the better systems I've seen for truly cleaning the car.

Moron who pulled it onto the wash tunnel pulley pulled it too far left and slightly gouged my pristine 2-piece BBS wheels on the left side. Major bummer :(
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Is the 03 an E60 or E39? The E60's rear end looks nice, especially the M5. Perhaps some M parts (for either line) would spruce it up a bit.

Adding M wheels changes the appearance a LOT. A nice subtle little spoiler, not the push bar, Wright Brothers kinda wing you see weighing down a Honda Civic, would be tasteful. Most won't even notice it, but will notice that things look good back there.

-Paul
  • acerfanacerfan Member Posts: 11
    I am planning to go to my local dealer for a test drive of a 530xi. Browsing through his inventory I noticed that he has a 2005 545i with SPORT PACKAGE, 18" ALLOY WHEELS, NAVIGATION, COLD WEATHER PACKAGE, PREMIUM SOUND PACKAGE and 14000 miles. I wonder what would be a good price/ lease payment for 15k miles/year for this car if the dealership leases it? What is the real world mileage and how does it handle in winters in one of the snow bound states? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    ...that is for 2 years and zero down.
  • hullhull Member Posts: 10
    I had exactly the same issue on my 06 525i. It happened to me at 4300 miles.

It took 3 weeks for the sensor to come into my dealers. Once replaced, it fixed the problem completely

Be sure to insist on a loaner car. Your dealer should cover this as part of the warranty service, but you sometimes have to ask for it.

Chris Hull
  • ageorgeageorge Member Posts: 9
    Used it on a demo. Seems really useful on back roads, and obviously less valuable in town (lots of pickup) . After trying it I ordered a new 530 with it, heads up and almost everything else. Although Im a manual transmission guy I ordered the auto so spouse and others will enjoy in traffic etc. Im having the internal debate about this endlessly.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    my E39 (97 528) rolled over 147K miles today. Just got her back from a service that included replacing some manual transmission seals and U-joint. Knock on wood, but this car has been almost bullet-proof in ten years of ownership (picked it up in 6/96 - one of the first E39s in the U.S.). Otherwise, this has been one great car which has withstood comparisons to the current generation of LPS sedans quite well - none have intrigued me enough to buy one, even though I could. I decided today, that even if I someday buy a new car, I will keep my E39. Every time I drive a new LPS (RL, M, STS, E, GS, etc) and get back in my car, I marvel at how high BMW set the bar with this model. I can't deal with the styling of the E60 (which I am sure is a great car), but the E39 is definitely one for the ages.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    Enjoy, as if. . .

Continue to keep us posted, as if. . .

Either way, thanks for the update.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Hi acerfan, I can't give you good advice on the price but can talk about that model. I have a 2005 545 with all the specs you mentioned except the sound upgrade and I am VERY pleased with it. Handles very well, is extremely responsive and, surprisingly, pretty good on gas (I have the six-speed manual).

Also, I have been very pleased with how well it does handle in the snow. Because my last car (86 BMW 325) was so heavy in the front, it was a pig in the snow. So, to avoid this with the 545, I bought snow tires in advance of the first winter here and the car has been very reliable. It is balanced almost exactly 50-50, front to back. Couple that with the DSC and I have had no problem at all. Feels very stable in snow. In fact, since winters here are not too severe (Norther Virginia), I may opt for just using all season radials when my current tires wear out.

Mike C
  • lc22lc22 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Chris. Sorry for the late reply - I have been traveling.

I am sorry you had the problem but it is good to know that the problem will not continue once it has been fixed.

I got a loaner (2.5 Z4 convertible) so it has actually been fun to drive. I pick up the "fixed" car tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    LC
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    I'm going to be taking the two day performance driving class in Spartanburg (class descriptions). Other than the plant tour and Zentrum, is there anything around there I shouldn't miss?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    In Spartanburg? Not likely. It's not called Spartanburg for nothing. Well, it's called that because of nothing. :P

Don't worry. I'm authorized to make jokes about it. I was born and raised in SC. ;) You might want to go check out the Carolina Panthers training camp while you're there, if that sort of thing interests you. And I believe there are a couple of other things to see/do while you're there. Check the official SC tourism website. (Do a Google search for it.)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Yes... but the plant is actually in the thriving metropolis of Greer, SC..

OK.. never mind.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    If you play, there are some choice golf courses there.
    We're doing the TWO-DAY X drive class on Sept 8th and 9th, flying in on the 7th.

Using the telephone and Frommers, Fodors and google, it seems there are some restaurants of merit, scenery of beauty and, as I recall, shopping 'til you drop opportunities. These days, I would not tote golf clubs, but as the post says, there is apparently some good golf there, too.

Where are you staying? I think BMW set us up (recommended) the Marriott nearby.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    markcincinnati in Spartanburg?? :surprise: I might have to make a day trip down there if only to see if your vocal cords have as much stamina as your fingers! :P ;)
    If you play, there are some choice golf courses there.

I engage in an activity that is not entirely unlike golf. In other words, I haven't broken 90 yet. Last Sunday I got five pars and one birdie... but I also got two eight's and a nine. :cry:

I was thinking of bringing my clubs and staying for a few extra days, but decided against it. There's a really nice club close by, but I think it's private.

I may look around a bit for a public course, but ugh - rental clubs? I can't imagine playing without my Cobras.
    >You might want to go check out the Carolina Panthers training camp while you're there

Nah... I've never been that into hockey (non-sports guy here) :)
    I'll be there three weeks after you. If you can find the time to post, I'd love to hear about your experiences! Especially if they have an E92 for you to play with (fingers crossed).

I looked at the Marriott. It looked like a really nice place, but a little expensive so I booked at the Fairfield Inn since I figured most of my time would be spent elsewhere. Plus this place is 0.2 miles away from it: Chophouse 47

I may still switch to the Marriott. I decided against getting a 2002 330i, so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket...
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Biltmore (near Asheville, N.C.) if you have an extra day or a Clemson football game, if you are there on a Saturday.
    No to both (extra day and Saturday), but thanks for the reply!
  • enjetienjeti Member Posts: 25
    Hello - I am interested in buying a 2003 525 with premium package and would like to know you experiences/feed back about this particular model.

Thanks.
  • bimmerdudebimmerdude Member Posts: 20
    :sick: Hi,
    I got a minor accident this weekend. I was waiting in line in for gas and the guy backed into my leased 06 BMW. He admitted his fault.
    My questions:
    1. Is there any difference to handle the insurance than the car you bought?
    2. Will I pay more if I decided to the return the car when lease is up?
    3. Should I be compensated for the damage that affects my car the resale value?

Thanks in advance!
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    This gets handled as if you purchased the car. As long as the car is repaired to "factory spec", the dealer should be no problem. Are you reselling the car right now? If not, how would you determine the compensation? Just get the car fixed and don't worry about it.

Good luck...JL
  • bimmerdudebimmerdude Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, JL!
    I still got 28 months on the lease. I should not worry about the dealer would charge me more when I return the car??
    Is there a thing like BMW certified body shop?

Thanks!
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    Just look in the yellow pages and find a shop that specializes in foreign cars. You're not paying for it so find the best shop you can.

Good luck...JL
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I would ask the dealer to recommend a shop or even to handle the repair. This way, they have less latitude to charge you extra wear and tear.
    Hi Mike, Thankyou for your very helpful response. I had not visited the forum for several days, hence the late response. I am in Cleveland where winters are ferocious. I am debating buying the 545/ 550 or a 530xi. I am really salivating over the 545/ 550 but am afraid I'll be tail spinning in the middle of a highway on a $68000 car come December....! Others, like you, have also advised me to not worry as long as I have snow tires. My heart tells me to go for the 550, but I am finding it difficult to decide.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I spent three wonderful winters here in New Hampshire with a snow tire shod RWD 530i and had absolutely no problems. During those three winters we had a total accumulation of over 300" of snow and many snowfall events of at least fifteen inches. Through it all the combination of my 5er (with its built in traction control) and a set of Michelin Arctic Alpin tires (since replaced by Michelin X-Ice) proved to be more than a match for all snow events of seven inches or less (above that and the car turned into a snow plow).

I've spent a lot of time in Cleveland over the years and yes, y'all get a lot of snow too, however, the Cleveland area is relatively flat compared to my area of New Hampshire, and as such I wouldn't even consider an AWD car if I lived in your neck of the woods. Heck, I won't even consider AWD around here, much to the amusement of my friends and neighbors. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Unless you're paying cash and the car is both CPO'd and has the extended maint program, a 2007 will be less money.

If you want the 03 for some other reason, well -- never mind.
    There are two "BMW" trained (they have the plaques on the wall) body shops here in our little town, that I know of.

Ditto for Audi, even the aluminum ones.

Your responsibility and your consequences are EXACTLY the same as if you owned the car outright, financed it or leased it. If you get the thing repaired and the repair work is "flawless" you will be in no better or worse shape in 28 months than the next person who did not have an incident.

We just called the BMW dealer and the insurance company and we were given the names of the repair places. The insurance company, when my wife's X3 front bumper was hit by a low flying 2 x 4, didn't even ask us to get two bids -- they just said, "we know this place, it is reputable and we will take care of everything."

The BMW dealer, likewise, gave the names "they trust."

This is NOT to say that there probably aren't other places that could do the job -- but why chance it?

If you ask the dealer for his/her recommendation, it is in no way going to cause you a ding and a fee in 28 months. Also, there's a chance this will make it to Car Fax -- relax.
    You know me, I'd go for the 530xi with a stick shift and the 18" wheel and tire option, bun warmers, etc -- and probably even stick with the All Season UHP tires.

I was working in Cleveland at a wine distributor during the winter a few seasons ago and I drove my Audi allroad 2.7T 6spd manual shod with Mich Pilot Sport A/S tires 245 x 45 x 18" -- watched the Bimmers "slip slidin' away" (to be fair, though they were NOT shod with winter tires.)

Folks who put FOUR (4) winter tires on their 2WD cars, usually do pretty well on primary streets and highways, but on residential and other secondary streets, only my allroad (and the odd Jeep or Range Rover) were able to leap tall drifts in a single bound, kind of thing.

Ditto my wife's X3 with its all seasons and ditto my A6 quattro with its all seasons.

Of course, the main issue with the all seasons has to do with their temperature sensitivity. Here in SW Ohio, the temps RARELY stick below 35, so the all season rubber does not become brittle. Were our temp to fall below 32 AND stay there, winter tires (four of them) would be my choice even with AWD.

If you go with the RWD Bimmer, you'll probably be OK most of the time so long as you go with 4 winter tires during the season. For me, "most of the time" just isn't good enough. Besides, I still think the AWD Bimmers are the best overall performers (with a foot note, of course.)

I drove to Oxford, Ohio during a particularly nasty snow storm and even with the allroad suspension set to position 4 (high off the ground), the snow drifts were so deep, I had to drive around them, sometimes actually getting partially off road. No "car" no matter how equipped can overcome certain circumstances -- Hummer anyone?
    Very encouraging. Thanks.