Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    Yep, it's plastic, at least it is in my E39. Prophylactic replacement of the radiator at 100K is recommended. Aluminum replacements are available from the after market.

You might as well replace the expansion tank at the same time.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    I have worked on cars for a lot of years but I have never heard of a plastic radiator. Is this guy telling me the truth or is he just trying to sell me a new radiator?

The end tanks are plastic, the core is aluminum. Every car I've owned since 1987 have been equipped with the same radiator design- including my 1999 Wrangler. I'd just go ahead and replace it like Andy suggested. Don't pay over $275-at most!-for the radiator. The expansion tank should cost no more than $70.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Don't pay over $275-at most!-for the radiator.

Well, pay over $275 if you are gonna get on of those beautiful, over engineered, all aluminum beauties that I lust for, but can't justify.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    AFter ruling out the 335i b/c of run flats I am leaning toward a CPO 2006 530i or 530xi with premium, sport (maybe) cold weather, comfort access, and nav. My main concern are do run flats come in the 2006 530 series whether it be 530i or 530xi. I would consider sport on either. I have had sport on both 3 series I had previously and don't mind the firmer handling.

Secondly, what is the deal with i drive? I drove one this weekend and the dealer said it took 5 minutes to master. This one had nav and I drive a TL with nav and mine is very simple. This one seemed burdensome. Should I avoid BMW's nav altogehter? Is the i drive for the climate and radio a pain? I love dhow it handled but this contrapation seemed rather annoying. Thanks
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Takes a few minutes to figure out the basics. Here's a tip my SA gave me:

Pushl the controller forward for the phone--think you're making a call out of the vehicle.
    Pull it back for Radio -- radio signals come in.
    Right for navigation -- your passenger/copilot is the navigator
    Left -- you for climate control.

In addition, a great deal of the functions are triggered by voice commands.

Finding a nearby restaurant or gas station is a bit cumbersome to figure out though.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    Yea, the SA did a voice command and of course it did something completely different. I don't know, the BMW is such a great driving car but this may keep me from buying one. Looking forward to others feedback. Thanks
    Well, pay over $275 if you are gonna get on of those beautiful, over engineered, all aluminum beauties that I lust for, but can't justify.

I should have said don't pay over $275 for an OEM radiator...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• buckeyejonesbuckeyejones Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 3 series for my wife. I have trouble getting into it since I am over 6 feet tall and have a bit of a back problem.

I really like how it drives though and am wondering if the 528xi will provide enough increase in vehicle size to accommodate my needs?

Also, what is the consensus on the 528xi versus the competition?

Thanks,
  • 5serious5serious Member Posts: 1
    I do not know the offset but I have just purchased some 7 series wheels and I am attempting to mount them on my 5 series. You seem to know a great deal about these specs and are you in the know about a 235/60/16 michelin mounted a 7 series wheel?
  • vokey1vokey1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 530i w/o sports package. I got 30000 miles on original tires - Goodyear Eagle RS-A (not run-flat). I like the tires OK but would like some thoughts on other tires. I'm a fairly conservative driver and don't have to have the most expensive tire. Thoughts on bang for buck, good solid tires?

Thanks
    I bought 2006 used 530 (no sport) and the vehicle does not have run-flat tires. I understand some do, particularly with sport option. I would not buy a vehicle with runflats -they're expensive to replace and ride rough.

I find the i-drive to be no big deal. It's quite intuitive to use, though pretty tedious. Other systems like the audi are better, but I would not base a car-buying decision on i-drive. I do not have nav, so i-drive may be worse with nav.
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    I recently got a price from Rallye BMW in Long Island, NY:

2009 BMW 535i xDrive

Premium
    Cold Weather
    Sport
    Comfort Access
    Heated Rear Seats
    Navigation
    High Beam Assistant
    Lane Departure Warning
    Park Distance Control
    Rear Airbags

Buy for $58,755

I thought this was an okay price, but with this recessionary era upon us, and hearing that auto sales are the WORST they've been in years, coupled with the fact that MB is offering $6K cash incentive on their E series, I believe in the coming months, I can get a better price.

What does the community think?

Should I be plucking that much money down on a car during these recessionary times? Wait for a better offer?
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I believe in the coming months, I can get a better price.

I strongly agree. I'm not currently in the market for a new car, but if I were, I'd wait until after Christmas. By then, the market for luxury cars will be the softest that we've seen in years, & buyers with money in the bank or A+ credit will write their own tickets.

Assuming that you live in Nassau or western Suffolk counties, you should also shop Habberstad (in Huntington), Oyster Bay & Competition (in Smithtown). Take advantage of your proximity to 4 dealerships within easy driving distance of one another.
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    MSRP and invoice price of your package are $63,260 and $58,175, respectively. Your quote of $58,755 is $580 over invoice. That's way better than my best quote in MA of about $1,500 over invoice for a 2009 535 Xi with somewhat fewer options. The 0.9 % financing up to 60 months has been extended to include 2009 models, but no other factory incentives evident at this point. I agree time and patience should benefit the consumer. All brands including luxury ones like BMW are way down based on October results released the other day. There are virtually no 2008's left in New England per my dealer's inventory search.
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    Professional reviews rave about the sound quality of this sound system upgrade, yet in MA very few 5-Series cars come with this $1,200 option. I plan to bring my IPOD to the dealer to compare/contrast between cars with and without the Logic 7 system. Any thoughts why so few cars come with the upgraded sound? Is it because these systems have been failing? I do note in reliability data that BMW sound systems across different models have had reliability problems. I'll listen for myself, but wondering about other people's experiences.

thanks
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I'm on my third BMW with Logic 7, in three years. I've had no problems with any of the sound systems thus far.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    I have comfort access on a 2008 535xi (built in December 2007) that has never worked right. My previous BMWs with comfort access worked great. In this vehicle, however, I have to push the start button multiple times or hold it for long periods of time before it will start. The doors take several seconds to unlock, multiple pulls on the handle, etc. I get frequent error messages "key not recognized" when trying to start the car. The dealer "tested" the system and found no faults. Everything works fine if I insert they key. I've tested both keys and get the same problem.

I know that comfort access uses RF signals that are susceptible to electromagnetic interference from power lines and such. I know that you have to charge the key by inserting it into the ignition occasionally. But this vehicle has consistent problems in locations where there is no interference and that were never a problem for my previous vehicles.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    "Any thoughts why so few cars come with the upgraded sound? Is it because these systems have been failing?"

Keep in mind that EVERY BMW is custom ordered, either by the dealer or by a customer. (That is one of the differences between BMWs and mass produced vehicles like Toyota/Lexus). Dealers decide how the BMWs on their lots will be optioned/equipped and dealers order the options that tend to sell well in their market. Upgraded sound systems must not be a hot item in your market. The typical dealer build (in northern states) is Luxury Package, Cold Weather Package, and a couple minor options because they don't want to over price the vehicles. They usually order a handful of vehicles with Nav and/or Sports Package to keep a few on the lot.

I have owned several BMWs with Logic 7 and I would not buy one without that system. It has significantly better sound quality, especially if you use it with an iPod. The current Logic 7 system has been used in BMWs (with a few enhancements) since the E65 (2002) 7 series and any systemic bugs in the system were worked out long ago. I have had no problems with the stereo in any BMW.

If you can't find a vehicle in your area with the options that you want, you can custom order (which can take as little as 6 weeks to deliver) or transfer from outside your area.
    I never buy a set of tires without researching them on tirerack.com first. Most tires at that site will have dozens or hundreds of customer reviews in addition to tools to find tires that are a fit for your vehicle and driving tastes.
    BMW typically offers lease deals and other incentives every December. bmwusa.com will list all current lease and financing offers. Since December is just around the corner, it might not hurt to wait.
    I've checked tirerack. That is essential to buying tires. But the customer reviews are all over the place. I was really looking for reactions here, where people might be more knowledgeable. Thanks
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    I'd like to know how you're gas mileage is on that 530i. Does it have the turbo engine. I'm looking at a 2008 535i, but am hesitating because of possible gas consumption. I like efficient cars. What say you?

Gardis
    Gardis72@gmail.com
    My '08 535 (bi-turbo) has awesome performance and gas mileage. Although I am alone about 80% of the time in it, I am getting about 28mpg in mixed driving. For that degree of performance and fun for what it is (a medium sized sport sedan), it's almost comparable to an econobox. One can't ask for more.
    carnaught, you have to be kidding? How is it possible with such a huge engine you are getting better mileage than I'm getting on my 1996 328i with a smaller 6 cyl. engine??

I'm looking at a 2008 535i in the CPO program......the only thing really holding me back is why did the owner turn it in after one year (has 28K miles on it) and gas mileage. I want to really know what I'm up against with that. I care about good mileage.

Any help will be appreciated guys.
    Gardis in CT
    gardis72@gmail.com

I have 4 dealers around me, I've heard about Habberstad and Rallye.
    "How is it possible with such a huge engine you are getting better mileage than I'm getting on my 1996 328i with a smaller 6 cyl. engine??"

The engine in your 328i isn't much smaller than the engine in the 535i: 2.8L vs 3.0L, 2793cc vs 2979cc. Engine technology has changed dramatically in the twelve years since your engine was built. Advanced engine management systems, infinitely variable valve timing, direct fuel injection, twin sequential turbo, improved transmissions, etc. My 535xi gets 26 mpg on the highway, and that's with the added mechanical overhead of all wheel drive.

Considering that the 535i can get as much as 28 mpg in pure highway driving and can go 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds or less (depending on who's driving), it's an extremely efficient vehicle.
    Hi, I assure you I am not fudging on '08 535 gas mileage. The mileage on the 535 is only about 5 mpg worse than what I got on my '06 3 Series. I don't work for BMW and have no reason to post these numbers other than to respond to other's questions. The performance and efficiency of this generation car greatly surpasses that of a decade ago (like your 1996). Even my '03 540 only got 18 mpg+ in combined driving in comparison to these newer engines.

BTW, I'd stay away from the high mileage 535 you're looking at. You can find a lower mileage one I'm sure.
  • bumpsbumps Member Posts: 4
    I own a '07 530xi. My combined mileage varies between the low 25's and high 27's. If I drive conservatively (65 - 70) on longer trips, I'm easily over 30mpg! Go BMW!
    Thnaks guys. Appreciate it. I'm surprised you say "high mileage" for a 2008 535i.
    Most two year old CPO models have about 30K miles. I'm trying to get to the bottom of that one from the dealer. I don't imagine they'll let me speak to the previous owner directly. I won't buy the vehicle until I'm satisfied why he turned it in. I've looked high and low, cannot find a 2008 with less mileage in that price range ($39,995). And I intend to squeeze the dealer even more.
    BTW, my first choice is a X5, 3.0L, but too pricey in the CPO program. Any thoughts on that vehicle. It's seems huge for one person, but I wanted something bigger than a sedan.
    I have an 06 530, and I get 30-31 on pure highway and 24-25 overall, which considering performance is really outstanding. The 06 engine upgrade significantly improved mileage and performance. Truly remarkable.

I live in a fairly small town, and my in-town mileage is 22-23. It would obviously not be that good in big city traffic.

Hey guys, what about some comments on tires for 530!

Thanks
    If you're concerned about gas mileage, I'd definitely stay away from SUV's including the X5. Although there's a temporary lull in gas/oil prices, the gas mileage IS poor with the X5. A friend who is a BMW-phile is feeling buyer's remorse in recently replacing his '05 X5 with a new one getting 16-18 mpg.

I disagree with an expressed opinion that high mileage cars are lemons. In my observation and experience, the very low mileage cars are more often the lemons with the owner's having gotten rid of the car with comparatively little use.
    If the car is certified I wouldn't worry too much about "high mileage", but DMW will tell you owned the car previously (if the dealer won't and I would worry if they won't) and you can call them directly. That's a lot of money for a used car and I would definitely want to know something about its history, but if it's certified it's probably OK.

I have bought only used BMW's and have been happy with the results. I've bought all but one from dealers and they've all been certified. The one I have now was an 18 month old service loaner with 10,000 miles, and it was a great deal. To get a good deal you have to be patient and really shop around. BMW has a good website that lists all pre-owned certified vehicles with all US dealers.
    vokey, thanks. I also don't think i'ts a game changer re the mileage. He may have had a job requiring high way driving, maybe he had a one year lease for that reason. The dealer sold the car to him, and now they're re selling it in the CPO program. I disagree that it's over priced also. I looked it up in KBB, and they list at $41,960 with the options it has. But I still want it for less.

Yeah, I'm leery about the gas mileage on the X5, I am going to give up that idea. I hope this 535i gives me good mileage, or I'm going to be disappointed. That's why I want to test drive it on the highway, I can look at that gas gauge and tell right away what I'm up against.

I've also bought my BMW's through the CPO. Would never buy one new, too expensive.
    vokey, what is "DMW" ? I would feel skittish about seeing the previous owner name and just calling him up, wouldn't that be a violation of privacy. I am going to ask the dealer stra8 away if I can speak to him about it.

Any way, I'm playing a game of chicken the economy is tanking, the market lost another 500 pts the other day, I was the ONLY person on the dealer's lot looking at cars on a saturday afternoon. No salesman even came outside. Let's see what happens. One salesman from another dealership spilled the beans to me once and said the longer the car is on the lot, the more they lower the price, something to do with the bank interest.

I want to get it for $36K but I won't I know that. They're not going to drop $3000.off the price.
    "I would feel skittish about seeing the previous owner name and just calling him up, wouldn't that be a violation of privacy."

This happened to me. A woman pulled my name and phone number from the dealer's service records and called me several times to ask questions about the 2001 X5 4.4i that I had traded in after a year (I only keep vehicles for a year). She was relatively nice, but it was very annoying and I finally had to tell her to stop calling and go read the owners manual. (It's amazing how many people buy an expensive luxury vehicle that is loaded with technology and don't even have the intelligence to crack open the owner's manual.)
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    I was about to purchase a 15yr old Ferrari TR last summer but the porsche dealer didn't have any records. I felt a little weird but got the phone number of the guy who traded it in and called him and left a message. Never heard anything back so I just dropped it. I think it took a stiff glass of Crown to justify calling him in the first place ;)
    Sorry, I meant DMV, or state motor vehicles. In NC, they will tell you who owned the vehicle if you supply the VIN. It's public info on the public record. If you get any kind of resistance in your state, get your insurance agent to find out for you. That worked in Ky.
    What do you think of this CPO deal, it has the sport package. Seems like a lot of mileage though to me:
    2007 BMW 5 Series 530i

2007 BMW 5 Series 530i Prices
    Price: $34,990
    Bodystyle:
    4 door Sedan
    Engine:
    3.0 6 CYL.
    Transmission:
    Automatic
    Ext. Color:
    Alpine White
    Int. Color:
    Black
    Mileage:
    Stock Number:
    PBR1515
    VIN:
    WBANE73507CM53029
    Model Code:
    Guys what do you think of this deal for a new (purchase). Please advise me, I'm looking at the CPO program but this looks good, what do you think:
    2008 BMW 528xi
    Brand New ! Blow Out Special ! ** Lease For Only $599 With 0 Down** or Buy For Only $46,870
    Brand New ! Blow Out Special ! ** Lease For Only $599 With 0 Down** or Buy For Only $46,870
    Price: $51,770
    Exterior Color: Space Gray Metallic
    Interior Color: Gray Dakota Leather
    Transmission: Automatic Transmission
    Cylinders: 6
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I think you'll be getting a bottom-of-the-barrel 5-series with hardly, if any, options. I'd look elsewhere (Hyundai Genesis V8, anyone?) for that price. If you just have to have a BMW, I'd look at a moderately equipped 335i for that purchase price or a maxed out one for that lease payment.

I would also take a trip over to the Infiniti dealer and have a look an an M45/M35. I consider an Audi A6 as well. There are any number of better equipped cars out there for the same money. Don't be too hasty to jump on that "deal," and choose wisely.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    The battery was dead in my 2002 530i SP 5 speed yesterday morning after 130,651 miles. My computer information was not recovered, but last week my averages were 26.7 MPG and 51.2 MPH. My total maintenance cost to date is $10,608.03 ($0.081/mile) without extended warranty or maintenance plans.

Costs by year are:

Odometer Miles Costs Costs/mile

2002 5110 5110 $ 117.59 $0.023
    2003 14837 9727 $ 43.38 $0.004
    2004 37893 23056 $ 1791.35 $0.078
    2005 60089 22196 $ 1744.21 $0.079
    2006 75365 15276 $ 1609.38 $0.105
    2007 105228 29863 $ 3185.51 $0.107
    2008 130651 25423 $ 2116.61 $0.083

Scheduled Costs: $ 2797.98 $0.021
    Recurring Costs: $ 5739.12 $0.044
    Damage Costs: $ 668.00 $0.005
    Unscheduled Costs: $ 1402.63 $0.011

The original brakes and clutch are still functioning. The radiator was replaced preventively at 75k miles as well as transmission and differential fluids at the same time. The biggest expense is tires (4 sets) and a set of wheels and winter tires.
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    We have a similar model 1/02 build 2/02 delivery now at 57k. Our first battery leaked and was replaced at 26 months. The second is doing well.

I have extensive records as well but break it down differently. Our dollars are close but we don't drive that much (6k to 7k a year) so our cpm is more than double at $0.181. My mpg is high 20's when I drive and my wife (her car) is low 20's.

Oil changes (including BMW "free" ones) $281 MB1 0W-40
    Two sets of tyres $1,785 Bridgestone RE750's (27k) and now RE960's
    Other Maintenance $6,800 (including all other fluids changed, complete new cooling system (pm) upgraded brakes and a rebuilt drive shaft)
    Damage (front valance several times) $1,500

Not inexpensive over almost 7 years but for this type of vehicle that is very enjoyable to drive.....money well spent. We are keeping this one for many many more years.
    Guys

Those seem like high maintenance costs. How does that compare to a Lexus RX for example? I know they're totally different vehicles, but for a car that's only 6 years old.
    Complete new cooling system??? I'm having second thoughts now.
    The running costs for my 1997 528i averaged @$85/month. As for the cooling system, you need to replace the water pump, thermostat, and radiator. MY BMW indie shop did the work for considerably less than $1000. How does that compare to a Lexus? Beats me; I could never own a Lexus as I find them to be much too dangerous-
    If I had to drive one I'd die of boredom...

• jjwatvajjwatva Member Posts: 2
    Hi, guys: I am first time BMW owner. I just bought a 2009 BMW 528i for $48,500. the dealer rec extended warranty (7 yrs/100,000 miles) for 2550 to cover major breakdown. Is this worthy it?

What about road hazard tire plan for $950 to cover tire repair, auto armor plan for $795 to cover body.

please help me out, thanks in advance.

JJ
  • jhammelljhammell Member Posts: 38
    I can't comment on the RX expenses but I will say that the new radiator, water pump and hoses etc. were a preventative measure due to the know premature failures of the E39 cooling system. The cost was less than $500 and I upgraded to the Stewart water pump. The cost of the BMW factory replacement radiators has come down perhaps due to the demand.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    How does that compare to a Lexus? Beats me; I could never own a Lexus as I find them to be much too dangerous-
    If I had to drive one I'd die of boredom...

I second that!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    It may very well be worthwhile to get an extended warranty but be aware that you'd have to be a Philadelphia lawyer/Factory Tech to figure out what isn't covered. I was denied coverage when the VANOS Control Module on my car failed @ around 78K resulting in an OOP cost of $1200 (including significant goodwill discount
    from dealer. My warranty cost around what yours did and it did cover the cost of fixing a busted airbag module and a few other odds and ends so that I did come close to breaking even.

Don't forget warranty providers don't stay in business by losing money on them. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances, ;) :confuse:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• abuckabuck Member Posts: 6
    Have there been any significant changes to the 5 series from 08 to 09? Thanks.
    Have there been any significant changes to the 5 series from 08 to 09?

Changes yes, significant, no. The grill and rear have been tweaked as was the controls on the dash with 6 preset buttons available for the audio system. There are wood insets below the audio controls over the console. The inside door panels were redesigned as were the window switches. The iDrive was slightly upgraded although not drastically as on some '09 models. BMW makes numerous upgrades mechanically that are not appreciated when seen. The negative on these changes has been a poorer score for side impact collisions.