Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    I've installed the BMW Bluetooth phone kit is my 2003 530i and these are the facts:
    1. Available for E39, E46 & X5 with build date of 3/02 or newer.
    2. ALL kits are installed at the dealer so prices are the same for kits installed before or after delivery.
    3. List price for the kit is $608. I paid $488.00 plus UPS shipping. There are additional brackets required for pre MY2003 cars.

This is a DIY install and it is recommended you have the dealer program the OBC, but my system worked without having to do it.

Check Circle BMW's BT page for more info:
    http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/blue/blue.htm

You will need a BT phone and only GSM service is offered on BT phones. GSM service is up and coming, but DOES NOT have the same coverage as TDMA or CDMA service, so do your homework when you are considering BMW BT.

BTW, BT will not be avaibale in the new E60 until December, 2004!

Hope this helps...JL
  • I saw the new 5 it looks much much better in person then it does in pictures. I have a 528 and I like the old styling alot but the new styling is great its just new.

Check out the Z18 prototype on www.bmwinfo.com its awsome.
  • magoffimagoffi Posts: 10
    Hello Folks,
    I just came from the BMW dealership this afternoon. And i lease the 04 530i including the premium package, sport package, xenon lights which the total came up to $52,770. since this is my first time leasing maybe someone can help out be letting me know if i got a nice deal or not. first of all the guys at the dealership told me that the new 5 series only a few production have the sport package they are not making them anymore. if that's true please let me know. the deal a got on the 530 was $51,270 he knock down $1500.00 of the MSRP. Now i wanted to keep my payment a bit low so i put down $5000.00 after he added up all the other fees the final out of pocket was $6830.00 and my monthly payment is $531.00 a month. Now i normaly buy my cars when i purchase them, my last 2 and put down a great substantial amount on it when buying. Like i said before this is my first time leasing please le me know if i'm paying too much a month and did i put down too much any info will be appreciated thanks.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    but the cow's out of the barn already.
  • 530bmw530bmw Posts: 130
    I was offered to extend my warranty to 6-yr/100k miles for $1000 by the dealer. To me, it is $500/year beyond the base warranty 4-yr/50k miles that comes with car. Is this reasonable compared to the price offered on the internet from a decent non-BMW outfit?

More importantly, should I consider extend my warranty at all?
    you think it's way too much.
  • I noted the numbers above on how the 5's are selling. Any numbers on how the new 5's by themselves are selling in the US? I ask because I was looking through the New York Times Car Buyers section this morning. Each Sunday Times ad page is $50K, I think, to buy (maybe a lot more). Very expensive ad space, and I'd assume dealers think carefully about what they feature.

In the ads for the BMW dealers, there were no photos for the E60, and no ad space on the E60 --with exception of one small item on a "2004 525" that used a picture of an E39 (!). All others were well represented with photos, deals, prices etc.

Point: Seems an odd decision to not give prominent space to the newest car in the line. Even if sales were good, I'd think the dealers would give prominent space as a traffic "draw" into the dealers from a new hot car. Anyone with any facts on sales volumes? Is the car being discounted more than usual?

Thanks--
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    I have no opinion on the transaction. My point is that it's a bit late in the game to be seeking opinions when you've already inked the deal.
  • hkurtehkurte Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 2003 BMW 525 in August 2003. Today I was looking for the first aid kit under the right front seat and it wasn't there. My question is for anybody who purchased the same car has a first aid kit?
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    magoffi... No way any of us could comment on your lease. It is a complex transaction. You didn't provide any details. For example, how long is the lease term? 2 yrs? 3 3? 4? What is the annual mileage restriction? And what does it cost you to go over that?

I'm not a fan of leasing. Always hard to tell if you got a good deal. Best are when manufacturer is heavily subsidizing the lease. Doubt BMW is doing that right away with new E60.

Seems like you put a huge amount down. $5K plus another $1.8K in fees. One reason to lease is to avoid having to put a lot of money up front into a depreciating asset. If you divide the up front costs by the number of months for the term, what is the monthly allocated cost of these fees?

Did you put down mulitple security deposits? That can save some money, but heard BMW FS was cutting back on that.

Not sure what the dealer told you about the Sport Pkg. BMW is making E60 5 Series with Sport Pkg.
  • jmezzjmezz Posts: 36
    i need advice on whether to buy snow tires on my manual trans. 525( i live in NJ). i do not have sport package. if i get them do i buy all 4 or just 2 for the rear?any recommendations on where to buy them.

thanks
  • I just bought 2000 528i, the brake dust is a killer. Are Kleen Wheels a good option? What is the bust product to clean brake dust?
    Thanks Herb Strachman
    the least was for 42 months, he wanted to give me 12k miles a year i bargain to get the 15k. and the only reason i put down that much was because i wanted the payment in the 5 hundreds. and you're right i'm not a fan of leasing i'm turning 30 in the end of next year and i wanted to treat myself to something i've always wanted to have. as far as it's a done deal it's not quite completed until give the whole deposit. i have the option tomorrow to cancel if i so chooses.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    magoffi, you may also want to ask in the discussion at this link: Lease Questions - Ask Here. Read through some of the posts there so you get an idea of how much detail you should post in order to get the best advice.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
    after talking to a few people this weekend they thought it was a nice deal i just wanted to get a few more. right now one of the adds that's running in the paper around in jersey for the bmw x5 3.0 which is less than the 52k for the 530i going for $5580.00 out of pocket $400 plus a month. for 48months.
    thanks alot i'll check it out to see what's the best way to go, until i give the ok for the check tomorrow i can change my mind at anytime.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,979
    When you're giving the dealer that $5000 "down payment," you are essentially giving the dealer (and BMWFS) a capitalized cost reduction. Basically you're just giving them your money early instead of paying an extra $119 a month on your lease. I don't know about you, but I can think of a lot better things to do with $5K than giving it to BMW.

Have you inquired abut leaving the money in multiple security deposits? That lowers your payment by lowering your interest rate (money factor) and you get the money back at the end of the lease.

What is the Money factor the dealer is charging you?

What is the dealer quoting you as a residual value for the end of the 42 months? I think he's quoting you a 57% residual (unless my calculations are off which is possible) which on a brand - new model isn't too bad.

So you're $531 a month really translates into leasing a car for $650 a month.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

the quoting residual was 55% now how do i go about giving the multiple down payment thanks alot i want to get all the info i can because i have not completely ink the deal
  • bmwmrcbmwmrc Posts: 66
    I too purchased a new 5 at the end of August and was looking for the first aid kit. It's not there because it doesn't come standard in American shipped cars. Only European.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    greatings, I was on the BMW site looking at the new 525 series... I plan on leasing for 36 or 39 months @ 15000 miles a year... I built a car and found the figure to come out to be around 509 a month, which to me translates to about 250 a month because my parents agreed to match my amount (instead of buying me a new car, I wanted to pay for some of it so we came to this deal of half or match what I pay) I don't think thats bad, plus that was at there msrp I was wondering how ya'll liked your 5 series and if there are any that have leased or purchased a 04 5 series, what type of options and deals where you able to get... thank you very much
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you looked into buying the car through European Delivery rather than leasing? You could probably get the price down from $1,500 under US MSRP to about $6,000 under US MSRP ($1,500 over ED invoice). Given that you are already prepared to put a substantial amount down, you should be able to finance it at an attractive rate (home equity loan?).

Sorry if this is too much of a digression relative to your question. I just can't get past the $52k+/- price on a 2004 530i when I was considering a new 2003 for roughly $10,000 less through ED (or a 2003 540i for $50k after the incentives). Perhaps the sticker shock of the E60 will wear off at some point, but right now, it looks like a huge increase for a car that doesn't appeal to me as much as it's predecessor.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    habitat1... Concur with the MSRP issue. Prices seem high. Though that is likely because of the recent heavy discounting on the E39s. Seems like dealers are ordering E60 530i's with MSRPs well into the $50K range. Too much money for too many gadgets. You could get an E39 540i for these prices.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    I've never liked the idea of covering the brake rotors just to keep the wheels clean. I recommend replacing the OEM brake pads with Axxis Deluxe Plus pads to virtually eliminate the brake dust problem. These pads perform as well or better than the OEM pads and there is approx. 95% LESS dust created. Any wheel cleaner should do the job. Clean the wheels frquently and don't let the dust build up.

Hope this helps....JL
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Posts: 200
    the e39 saw virtually no increases through its model cycle. The new car is taller, wider, longer, offers better safety, technology, and ride and drive. whether you like the body style or not the price increase is merited. Look at what the other cars in the segment have for base prices (markedly less the MB, comparable to lexus). 525's will be hitting dealers in a fairly good abundance now, base price 40 grand. Sport package models are on constraint from the factory now and dealers are supposed to order these only if it is a 'sold' unit. 545 initial allocations are virtually sold out also as big dealers are hustling to get more of these cars. Aren't those new TV ads slick!!!
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Ditto on what srfast said in regards to the Deluxe Plus pads; their stopping ability is every bit as good as OEM and they are less expensive to boot. As for wheel cleaners, my favorites are BMW's proprietary wheel cleaner, P21S Gel, and Zymol Wheel Cleaner. I buy bags of foam paint applicators whenever I find them on sale and use them to get at the nooks and crannies of the wheel. And stay away from Klean Wheels!!!
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    "The new car is taller, wider, longer..." Another reason my next Bimmer will likely be a Three Series. Unless Bangle turns it into a toad as well... The guy has to be a double agent for either Audi or M-B.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    It's a toad.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I respectfully disagree.

IMO, a significant reason for the success of the previous 5 series and the 530i in particular was a combination of performance, attractive aesthetics, limited gimmickry, and relatively competitive pricing. With the new 530i, presumably the performance has been maintained (although I am NOT a fan of run flat tires), the aesthetics are questionable at best, the gimmickry is unnecessary and adds to potential bugs and premature obsolescence, and the pricing competitiveness has been significantly eroded.

I myself would have never bought the previous 525i (or earlier 528i) as it was just too underpowered for a "sport" sedan. However, the prospect of getting a well equiped but low gimmick 530i 5-speed for around $42k through ED was compelling, given that an "average" Japanese FWD near luxury sedan is in the $30's and the current E-class pushes or exceeds $50k.

We can debate whether or not the design of the new 5-series is an evolution or a Bangleization. However, the fundamentals of why the previous 530i was of interest to this particular buyer have definitely not improved and perhaps declined. Nominal size increase aside, nothing merits a price increase relative to the factors that are important to me.

If Mercedes had their act together and decided to import the E270 CDI 6-speed sport that is available in Europe for roughly the US equivalent of $39,000, I think the new 525i (and even 530i) would be severely challenged. The E270 would offer comparable or better performance, phenominal gas mileage and, in this prospective buyers eye, less offensive gimmicks and better looks.

Perhaps we all were spoiled by the price/value of the previous 530i. But just because it may cost BMW more to design and produce the new 530i, don't automatically think that we as consumers find the increase merited by a better car. I don't.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    sorry I didn't really make sense in my earlier post... i was tired and typeing and thinking wheren't going hand in hand. anyways, I went to the dealor yesterday and drove a 5 sedan, i must say I love the car, everything about it seems to fit what I was looking for, I like the i drive feature, but to be honest its something I could do with out as well, to me it would be a worrie that the knob would short out and wouldn't control its functions, but then again, I don't plan on having it for longer than the warrenty anyways. I'm looking into leasing a 525 with just the auto and the leather, I priced it at the dealor yester day and the quote was 470 a month 36 months, 15K miles a year, I wasn't too concerned with haggeling prices I leave that to my father, I'm 20 and have saved up all through high school so I could get a car, my father is the one who will haggle the deal and prices since I have no Idea what I'm doing, i'll just watch this time. my only problem is now is getting them to agree to this car, for my graduation they said they'd put down 8K towards a car, now in my thinking I can come up with about 350 a month in my paychecks (we figured in other expense so thats how I got what my payment I could do is). I'm hoping i can convince them to pick up the differnce to what ever the deal price that my dad works out. I'd rather have them help like that (till the 8K is gone) rather than them give it to me. I have some questoins though, I've never been a fan of BMW's and frankly never really liked them, but for some reason I really like the 5 series. I was wondering for those who have an 04 or even the 03 or 02 model line ups how you've liked your vehicles and have the held up pretty well with out too much haggle. thankx I plan on getting a car @ the end of november.