Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• I LIKE the new TL. As for the new E60, I'm all for the quieter ride and better suspension, but the one who controls the money says the butt looks ugly and she would never pay that much $$$ for anything with an ugly butt.( Hmmmm, made me wonder what happened to the missing 10 grand in our budget last year.) I finally saw the E60 in person, and it just happened to be parked next to an Altima in a parking garage. Dead ringer to be sure. I liked the Altima, just not with a BMW badge on it!
  • Anyone have the Sirius sat. radio in an E60? Looks nice, I'm just wondering how the integration is with the iDrive screen, if any.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    ...at the first few E60s, and now the Sport package. In the brochure, the sport rims didn't look great but in person it does suit the car. The 530 looks very masculine and serious in the Sport stance it has. I also had a close look at the tires, the new Bridgestone state of the art RE050. Sure would not look forward to replacing those!

I also saw this very neat color, it looks almost brown, it looked very nice. It is definitely growing on me.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Do you know which are the most popular colors? Also are the solid or two-tone seats more popular? Spoiler/no spoiler? I'm looking at them and am thinking of resale if I decide to keep it for a year only.

My choice would be silver with black solid seats, sans spoiler. Also like sterling/beige or blue/black. Red... like it but prefer anonymity.

Radar a must. Got nailed doing a casual 80 last month. Luckily the nice police officer gave me only a "driving without due caution" ticket... something new in Jersey... no points, no record... 78 bucks, no muss, no fuss.

Was at a Sirius demo trailer recently. A BMW rep was there also. They said you could get it set up through BMW.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    If you are looking to buy a used M5, I would be less concerned about color affecting resale than (a) finding one meticuously cared for and fully documented relative to service and (b) being patient to find a good deal.

I have seen 2002 M5's advertised for anywhere from $70k+ down to $49.9k. The latter tempted me to call and, as it turns out, it was an executive relocating to Europe and the loss on the car was being picked up by his company. Two M5's in my garage didn't make much sense, but somebody got a heck of a deal.

My M5 happens to be Sterling Gray with two tone grey and black seats. I would not have gotten the two tone seats myself, but this was a cancelled order at a great price. The only colors I suggest avoiding are black (the toughest to keep looking good) and white (IMO, does not look good on an M5).

P.S. There were some minor improvements in the 2002 vs. 2001 model (nav system, etc.). The 2003 was essentially the same as the 2002.
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    Let me say I'm sorry you received such a rude reception. I take it that your post was serious. I'll assume that you're interested in a BMW, probably a 5 series.

You are headed in the right direction my friend. A stick certainly enhances driving, and a BMW with a stick is a good as it gets in a sedan.

Now, where shall we learn about this. Well, I'd suggest a BMW center (dealer). Tell them you're interested in a BMW, and how you need to determine if a stick is for you. See if they'll take you out in a used car with a stick and give you the basics. They should because it'll certainly grow their potential market. After all, if you want a stick in a sedan, BMW is about the only stop left. (E55 with no stick, ugh)

Happy Motoring,

Jack
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    Thank you for the information... and sorry about the mis-spellings... I'm a phyisics major, and we sometime lose our minds and just bable on with out checking for errors... oh well .. thank you though
    I'm wrangling with emotions... M5 vs Porsche, roadster, etc. I'm on to a great used M5 deal but can't seem to pull the trigger.

I was reading in another forum where someone referred to low-profile tires as connestoga wagon wheels... couldn't help but laugh and agree. I love the glory and power of the M5, but to me it comes with compromises, mainly the rough ride of those wheels and the shortcomings on switchbacks as compared to a Porsche.

I agree with you about white 5's. I like white cars but somehow it doesn't work for me on any bimmer but the 3 convertible. I don't like black either but there is something perversely seductive about a black M5... like the F-117 stealth fighter jet.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Tough decision between a Porsche and an M5.

However, if you haven't done so, I think you owe yourself a lengthy test drive of the M5. IMO it is not any harsher of a ride than my former 540i 6-speed. Granted, I live in a temperate climate and most of my driving is on decent roads. An M5 at 10 degrees on the streets of Pittsburgh would be a harsh ride for sure. However, before you compare the M5 to a Conestoga wagon, try finding an old 930 Turbo to drive. The reason those cars didn't have airbags is that a speedbump would set them off.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I test drove 530 with 18 inch wheels, and bought one with 17 inches. I also test drove an M5 for a weekend. I was quite surprised how soft the ride was even with the 18's. M5 did ride stiff, but by no means harsh when going over bumps.
  • I discovered a nail in one of the 3 year old Contis on my 528. I took it off and placed the new spare on the car, left rear. Then I got to thinking (always dangerous!): Why not just buy one new Conti and place it on the other rear side and have new rear tires for winter? Does anyone have any reason why this would be a bad decision?
    Speaking of bad decisions: I bought new Falkens for my other E39, had them on for a week, and sent them back to DTD for a full refund. I bought them on the strength of Consumers Reports, but they were the worst tires I have ever driven.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,146
    Actually, thats a very good decision.. The handling limits of your car are much more dependent on the rear tires, than the front tires. When I was young (lo, those many years ago), they always told you to put the good tires on the front. In actual testing, that has been proven to be wrong. I think thats a great way to keep the wear even on your tires.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• stl540stl540 Posts: 67
    Riez - I have not been on this board in over 6 months and I was shocked to read you sold your 540i. I hope you find the M5 you desire.
    I have enjoyed every mile of my '02 540i. I have driven 26K miles in 18 months. I love my 540i. I have not had any issues. The car has been wonderful.

I have not seen the E60 in person, but I personally like the pictures I have seen. I typically hear positive comments on the looks of the E60 until I read Roundel (and now this forum). I do not have strong enough opinions to debate the looks. Different strokes for different folks. I do not have any plans to sell my E39 anytime soon, so it does not matter. :)

I still have the original Dunlops on my 5 (which lasted longer than I expected), but they are ready to be replaced. The edge of the fronts are a little worn from more agressive driving into corners. The rears are close to the bar.

I plan to get winter tires on a separate set of wheels soon. Last winter I managed with the stock tires, but I would have been better off (safer) with winter tires. I am leaning toward the Dunlop Winter Sport M2. According to posts on Tirerack, people have been pleased with the tires. Anyone have positive or negative experience with these tires?

Cheers!
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I've heard good things about the Dunlops. You might also want to look at the Michelin Alpins. From what I hear, they are VERY good in the snowy conditions you could find in St. Louis, especially with the rolling hills you have out there.

I was in St. Louis a couple of weekends ago. It was nice to see again after moving away a while back. Whereabout in St. Louis are ya? I lived in Ballwin/Manchester.

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Okay, I know BMW... but what other manufacturers offer either coupe or sedan RWD, lux sport. Here is what I have:

BMW
    Cadillac
    Lincoln
    Infiniti
    Mercedes
    Audi
    VW

What other ones can you guys think of?

-Paul
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    How about Lexus? SC430? LS430? LS430 goes to 60 in 5.9 seconds. Seems like it's sport to me.
  • part one / selling: my girlfriend is ready to sell her 1995 BMW 525i. it is in great condition and has 118,000 miles on it. is it better to trade it in or sell it privately?

part two / buying: she wants to buy another 5 series BMW. we don't like the newer 2004 model but we are interested in the models from 2000 to 2003. the question is: what year / model is the best one (overall) out there?
  • Looking for a 2003 5 series. Any suggestions?
    How much from a dealer here in Southern California?
    Thanks for the reply on the winter tires.

I live close to your old stomping grounds. You may remember the rolling hills just SW of Chesterfield which is now called Wildwood (Wildwood was recently incorporated in 1995). We have 'city' streets (Manchester, Clarkson, Clayton, etc), but we also have very fun 2-lane roads. I sometimes take the boring, quick drive home. Other times I will take the low-traffic two lane road that is much more fun in the 540i. It is an absolute joy to drive the 2-lane roads!! :)

Cheers!
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I just received a notice from BMW saying that a defect exists in certain 2001 5 series vehicles in which the airbag control module's microprocessor could cause one or more airbags to deploy when placing the key in the ignition ON position, or when starting the vehicle. Owners are to contact their BMW centers immediately to have the necessary repair performed ASAP.
    Geez, I'd hate to have that smack in the face first thing in the AM!
  • rtboonrtboon Posts: 21
    I have a 97 528i with 106,000 miles and am hearing a tinny sound from under the center of the car. Sounds like metal vibrating at idle. Had the dealer look at it and he says my catalytic convertor is starting to go and will need to be replaced at a cost of $1400. Anyone had a convertor go on them and what was the cost to replace? How long is one supposed to last?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,657
    that vibrating could be something as small as a heat shield, hence replacing the cat converter a waste of money. Bring th car to an independent mechanic and have he/she check it out.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Any opinions about putting only rear winter tires on vs all wheels? I have 03 530 with SP.

I don't do a lot of long winter drives but live in NE - Boston area. Anyone kept the standard conti tires on all year around? Can you share what I can expect in the snow?
  • rtboonrtboon Posts: 21
    I live on the Cape and have used the Conti's year round. Last year I was stuck three times in snow. Without snow tires you just don't go! I have even tried filling the trunk with weight, it doesn't help.
  • Are BMW parts two to three times more expensive than Toyota, or Lexus?
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    That's exactly the setup I have on my 02 540ia. After 1 winter (3K miles) M2s still look like new. Snow traction is very good. I was able to keep up with most SUVs on the road during 2-3 snowy days we had last winter. They not as good on ice though. For icy roads you need studded tires. But since you were able to go through the last winter on 2000Es I assume that you are not dealing with that much ice, mostly light snow. So M2s should be OK for snow. As to the dry road performance they are decent but not even close to 2000Es or any other HP tires. So for 3-4 month you will have to drive somewhat conservatively. M2s also have better breaking at low temperatures (below 40F)even on a dry road.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    I live west of Boston. I use Michelin Pilot Alpin for winter tires. Did not get stuck once last winter and that is saying something.