Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Here is a direct link to the article on the Auto Express site: Bangle On Way Out.

Shipo, the original link works for me - can't imagine why you can't get there. I hope this one will work for you.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    This seemed to be one of those unexplained "Internet Exploder" anomalies. I simply cleared the IE cache and the page started loading properly.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I thought it might be the i-drive on your computer that was interfering with the link....: ) Sorry, couldn't resist....
    Nope, I do my navigation with Mark I fingers hitting Mark I keys and using a Mark I mouse. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    You folks will want to read the latest in Edmunds' Generations series. It's been placed into the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page, but here is a direct link to it as well: BMW 5-Series - The Best Car in the World?

Share your thoughts!
    "Then in 1968 BMW introduced the large "E21" (its designation inside BMW) sedan powered by a new range of inline six-cylinder engines and sold as the 2500 when equipped with a 2.5-liter version of the six and the 2800 with a 2.8-liter displacement."

Ummm, I am no authority on older BMWs; however, I always thought that the E21 model designation was assigned to the 3-Series range of cars between 1975 and 1983. As for the old 2500 and 2800/Bavaria, I thought that they were designated E3.

Yes, no?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    According to this site you are right on both counts:

http://www.bmwinfo.com/
    Thanks for the confirmation, I was wondering if I was totally crazy. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Please tell 'em by using the "Help" link at the very bottom of this page. And then let us know what you hear back. :)
    I sent them a note via the "Contact Us" page, and received the following automated message:

"Thank you for e-mailing Edmunds.com. The reference number for your inquiry is '040122-000021'. We appreciate hearing from you. Please note that due to the volume of e-mail we receive, we may not respond individually to all messages."

I'll let y'all know if I am contacted and what the response is.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I received my first response regarding the error in the article titled, "BMW 5-Series - The Best Car in the World?"

Response (Warren) - 01/22/2004 05:44 PM
    Dale,

Thanks for your inquiry. We're unable to locate the article you've mentioned amongst our recent road tests of the 5 Series. Please send us a link to the article, and we'll research the issue.

Thanks for visiting Edmunds.com.

Warren Clarke
    Associate Editor
    Edmunds.com

To say the very least, given that they could not find their own article even when I gave them the title, I found the response surprising. Surprised or not, I complied with their request and sent them the url to the article.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Heh, that's pretty funny, you're right!

I do think there's a place in the feedback form that asks for the URL though ... and it sounds like they just wanted to be sure they found the exact one you asked about.

Still...

:)
    A 1991 and 1992 E39? ;-) I think you had the latest to be replace E39 on your mind (I know I certainly do) and typed it instead of E34. No worries, I knew what you meant. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    Not that it's all that important, except for journalistic accuracy, but while the Edmunds article stated that the E34 2.5 liter engine received twin cams in '92, my '91 525 was equipped with the DOHC 24-valve engine (which contrary to the bmwinfo link, was the first year it was available in the US). Hmmm.. something about the "devil's in the details", heh?
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    Shipo, thanks for watching my back, I have revised and re-posted--details, indeed!
    Any time, just so long as you do the same for me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • when you turn off the engine, is the rain senor wipers reset...and its off??

When I turn up one notch, the rain sensor is on.
    Until I turn off the engine (leaving the lever in the same position)and next time it rains....the sensor doesn't automatically work....I have to pull down and push up to make it work again. Is this normal among other e39 owners?
    Yes.

All of the rain sensing wipers that I have ever used works this way. I think the following scenario explains exactly why.

Imagine you are driving home on a rainy Friday evening, rain sensing wipers doing thing. You pull into your garage, turn the car off and head inside for the night. Saturday morning dawn bright and blue, but when you get to our mount, you see lots of rain streaks and mud all over it, so, you head to the carwash. This particular establishment is the kind where you pay as you go in, pop your car in neutral with the engine running and just drive out the outer side. Imaging your horror when your rain sensing wipers start wiping inside the carwash, catch on the cloth elements of the washing equipment and get ripped off or mangled in the process.

Yup, it's a good thing to have to tickle your wiper system to tell it that it's okay to start doing its rain sensing thing. You can "tickle" it by changing the sensitivity or by turning it off and back on.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,456
    That is the clearest explanation I've seen of why the wipers work that way. I'm printing it for my wife. Her eyes glaze over when I try to explain it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• stl540stl540 Posts: 67
    I wonder if we would have a better understanding of who is a critic or a fan of the E60 by understanding their background?

1. How many BMWs one has owned?
    2. Model year of the first one?
    3. Length of time one has owned or closely followed BMW models?
    4. Person's age?
    5. Interest in latest technology in a new car vs. simple car?

My curiousity comes from reading the controversial letters about the new 5, 7, and Z4 on the Edmunds forum and Roundel.

I own the 2002 540i and love it. I like the styling inside and out. I have 30K happy driving miles on my car. No complaints at all. I plan to be a long term BMW customer based on my experiences thus far.

I also like the design of the new 5-series. My 2002 540i is my first BMW and I have not closely followed BMW except for the last 3 years. I like the latest technological innovations in cars. I think the E60 is a bold new design. BTW. I've seen a few E60s on the road and have not mistaken them for a Pontiac. The new design attracts me to the car (positively).

Most of my co-workers, friends and family members have positively commented on the style of the E60. The only slightly negative comment was from a co-worker who owns a 1989 3-series. He is unsure of the E60 design.

I really like the design of the new 645i. I also like the design of the Z4. I am indifferent about the design of the 7-series.

It seems that those who are long time BMW owners/fans are the most critical of the new BMW designs.
    Kyfdx, glad I could be of service. ;-)

Stl540, okay, I'll give it a try:
    1) two (1999 328i and 2002 530i)
    2) 1999, see above
    3) five and a half years
    4) 46
    5) I appreciate both hi-tech cars and low-tech cars

My impressions of the new crop of BMWs:
    Z4 -- I like it
    5-Series -- I absolutely detest it
    6-Series -- I love it
    7-Series -- I dislike it but not as much as the 5-Series

So, did I muddy the waters too much. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    1) one 2002 330i)
    2) 2002, see above
    3) 20 years
    4) shipo's ageish
    5) Both, but hi tech cars generally offer more safety equipment, a low tech car would not have ABS and DSC for example.

My impressions of the new crop of BMWs:
    Z4 -- I like it
    5-Series -- I like it as much as current five series, 4.9 stars
    6-Series -- I like it 5 stars
    7-Series -- I like it maybe not 5 stars but 4.5
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,456
    1)Two ('03 325i, '67 2000CS)
    2)1967 (owned from '85-'90)
    3)Lately...just a couple of years
    4}shipo-ish (nice one, kd)
    5}not a luddite

Z4-- Looks are growing on me.. still hate the rear-end. Test drove one....WOW
    5-series-- I like it better than the 7
    7-series-- not so much.. horizontal tail light doesn't work with the two main tail lights. that is why I like the 5 better..it doesn't have that.
    6-series-- its okay...not a fan of big two-door coupes.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• 1)Three ('01 525i, '03 325Xi, '04 525)
    2)2001
    3)Since I bought the first one.
    4}51
    5}simplicity is better, but I'm comfortable with technology.

Z4-- I like it -- the front and sides are possibly the best Bangle design before the 6...though the stumpy rear end is off-putting.
    5-series-- Own one and like it. Drives beautifully. Still think E39 was one of the best cars ever built, tho.
    7-series-- Too fussy, overall. Over the top with technology that could be simpler. Least favorite.
    6-series-- Best of the lot so far.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    1. One.
    2. 2003 530i
    3. Two years or so.
    4. 55.
    5. I like technology, provided it’s an improvement over previous solutions and is reliable.

As for the current crop (all comments are aesthetic as I’ve driven none of them):

Z4—Marvelous design
    E60—Hideous exterior, particularly the 1950’s women’s sunglasses look to the headlights, and ho-hum interior
    New 6—Very nice in photos, except the stupid Bangle rump
    New 7---Again, hideous, except in the 7 the rump is worse than the headlight treatment.
  • I am getting ready to order a 545 and the 1 option I can't decide on is whether to get the sport package. I test drove a 545 w/o sport - dealer didn't have 545 w/ sport (also test drove 530 w/ sport, but totally different car with smaller engine). One salesperson said don't get it, two others said get it citing better resale value and great drive w/ sport. Any advice on the pros (resale, performance?) and cons (priced at $3300, reliability, new technology?) of sport package? Many thanks.
  • shipo, wow, I never thought about the car wash explanation for the rain sensor. That is interesting, thanks....now one logical reason not to gripe for the rain sensor issue.

as for the survey

1. 1st time BMW owner
    2. 2003 530i
    3. 1992; followed BMWs since I was 18 after driving my uncles new 535.
    4. I am 29.
    5. I love tech gadgets but only if its useful and intuitive.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    My survey answers:
    1. six
    2. 1973 Bavaria 3.0
    3. 33 years
    4. 47
    5. Sophisticated technology is great-IF it serves a legitimate purpose. I loved my old E3, but the Motronic engine management, SRS, and ABS on my track rat allow it to be faster, safer, and more reliable. What bothers me about much of the new technology in the E60 and E65 is the fact that it makes the driving experience more complex without providing any useful benefits. I was prepared to like I-Drive but I find the interface cumbersome and non-intuitive(FWIW, I am NOT averse to technology; I build/repair my home PCs and I select-and sometimes install-ICE and home theater systems for my friends). As for the current direction of BMW design, I don't care for the E65, and I find the E60 a much less graceful and cohesive design compared to the E39. It almost looks like an Accord or Camry. I do like the X3 and the spy photos I've seen of the new 3er. The Z4 has grown on me, as has the 645i. What I REALLY, REALLY don't like is Munich's abandonment of the "cockpit" style interior layout first introduced on the E12. The flat wood covered dashes of the E60 and E65 look like they were lifted from a Buick Park Avenue. I hope the rumor that Bangle is being shown the door is true. I think Munich needs to get back to doing what it does best-building ATTRACTIVE sport sedans and coupes that utilizes technology that assists the driver rather than overwhelming him/her.
  • pcp2pcp2 Posts: 12
    What should I buy? 545 or 330 Convert?
    $ is not the problem.