Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• diver110diver110 Posts: 67
    Riez, Yes, I got the sport package. Actually, I thought the "A" in 540iA stood for that, is that right? What does LSD stand for (I assume you are not talking about the hallucenogen)? So I do have the 3.15 differential. I was thinking in terms of the Dinan 3.45 limited slip, which they say gives a 10% across the board torque and horsepower increase. I don't fully understand how "limited slip" works, however, or how it increases power by 10% other than somehow it transfers power to the wheels more efficiently. I would appreciate any feedback you or others can give in this regard. The Dinan 3.45 ain't cheap BTW, around $8000 with labor.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    ...I guess we both forgot to switch off our cloaking devices. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Dropped the machine off for service, needing Insp 1. Did 28.5K before the indicator came on, and aboout 600 miles since then. Ironically, on the way to the dealer this morning the brake light (service indicator, not failure) came on, so I guess 30K would be about what my location and driving style gives as a brake life expectancy. Does that sound low/norm/high considering the amount of city driving this car does? I know that in the past I have gotten significantly less than that from the front end of nose heavy front wheel drive cars, so I am not unhappy, just curious. At 30K a year I should probably establish a good relationship (between dealer oil, filter changes etc) with a good independent shop, since I will be out of warranty around the time the machine is 2 years old.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Folks, I'd like to have a conversation about something that struck me today; Dropped the 5 off for service, picked up the loaner (2002 325 auto, touring, with step), and took it down one of my favorite roads just to see how it felt. So here is my question: Are our cars overengineered for real "driving?" Don't get me wrong - I love my 540, and also see most of the technology as a good thing, for safety, convenience etc. I will also agree that something like rain sensing wipers (as posted previously) can be seen as a plus, removing a distraction from the pure act of driving. However, I sometimes find myself wondering if the fact that my car has enough technology to correct most of my sins electronically, or to beat them to submission (gumball tires, no drift allowed) has in some ways diminished the driving skill, or driving pleasure. Again, I am not saying that I don't appreciate the safety advances etc. Let me give examples of what I mean. 20 years ago, when I rode motorcycles, my Kawasaki KZ1000 was a pretty impressive bike, and no one ever really wrung one out. Now you can buy off the shelf crotch-rockets that would blow the KZ into the weeds without breaking a sweat. Very few riders even come close to really exploiting the performance envelope. When I go on vacation I rent something like a "Mexican Porsche" - a woefully underpowered VW convertible, skinny tired, 4 or 5 speed manual, maybe power brakes, but a hoot to drive... and you practice your shifting, you have no ABS, and you think about your next pass, or how to get out of the way of people who can pass :). I think we are coming pretty close to "The Ultimate TRANSIT Module" and i am not sure if that's a good thing everyday.

Thoughts?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,368
    Walter:
    Congratulations.. boy, when you said you were thinking about trading, you weren't kidding.. I wouldn't waste money upgrading the rear differential... You won't get anything out of it come trade-in time, and only a little out of it in the meantime. Enjoy your "new" car!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The "ultimate" intrusion to the driving experience is DSC. I have no idea how fast my car will go through a turn, and really don't have any way of finding out with the DSC turned on. All of the cues you were used to getting are gone and replaced by a flashing amber light on the dash. The only thing you have to rely on are your eyeballs and the rising G-forces.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing... I'm not even sure how I feel about it..

regards,
    kyfdx

shipo... I follow a few other 3-series forums besides edmunds and I read a lot of complaints about noise from the Yokos... Not at first, but after about 7-8K miles. The new favorite tire other than the S-03s seems to be the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. A little cheaper than the Bridgestones.

regards,
    kyfdx

Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the Yokos. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    Yeah, I started to chime in earlier but I'm always hesitant about posting on the 5-series board. Anyway, I've got the Yokos on my 325i and they are EMBARASSINGLY loud. This began at about the 6500-7000 mile mark. There've been many similar complaints posted on the 'fest.
    Why so timid art thou? Sorry, I've been reading "Le Morte D'Arthur" recently. ;-) At least from my perspective you are most welcome to post here, after all, I post all over the 3-Series board. ;-)

I hereby nominate Postoak an honorary "BMW 5-Series" poster. Anyone second the motion?

Regarding the Yokos, well, you've just iced it for me, no Yokos in my future.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    I do hereby second the motion and welcome Postoak aboard. Yokos are really great tires but are very noisy after 7 or 8 K miles. As far as replacements for the 5 series if you are after a maximum performance summer tire it is a no brainer to select the Goodyear Eagle GS D3, it is a great tire ! I'm not sure that I like the tread pattern but could live with it.
  • joe91joe91 Posts: 14
    One week ago (4/24/04) I took delivery of a new 2004 530i, with premium pkg., steptronic, and a few other extras. I DID NOT get the sport pkg. because I did not like "active steering". Well, I LOVE my new bimmer with one exception. At highway speeds (60-80 mph and higher) the steering seems too responsive. It requires frequent steering wheel inputs from me, and I am not accustomed to this on either my 1990 525i or my 2003 325cic. I`ve made sure that tire pressures are correct and have even had the dealer double check alignment settings. The dealer thinks I just need to "get used to it". Before I contact BMW USA, does anyone have any input for me? THANKS!!!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    I had the same reaction with my '99 528. I bought new wheels and better tires and the problem went away.
    I got in the habit of monitoring this board when I was trying to convince my wife to get one of the last E39s. I just didn't want to let that model get away because I love the looks of it. But, she said no and I have absolutely no use for anything that large so there's no 5 in my future. :( But I got addicted to reading posts here, LOL.
  • diver110diver110 Posts: 67
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I should have realized what A, and LSD for that matter, stood for. I like my "540iA SP" A LOT better than the 540iT. It handles wonderfully. There is something about BMW sedan handling I have been unable to match in other sedans. I drove a Mercedes C32 AMG, for example It was a bit quicker, but there was a bit of a disconnected sense in the handling. It was also a little smaller and more expensive.

I was not going to rush into the 3.45 differential in any event, and I will give it some more thought. There are some circumstances when I would like a little more kick out of the car, but perhaps it is wiser to leave well enough alone.
    Gee... Now I feel bad that I didn't ask to become a "member" before I posted. I too, am only a lowly 3-series owner.

Can I stay? Huh? Can I? Please?

regards,
    kyfdx

Works for me! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    It was raining and I was following a brand new Acura TL getting on the highway. This person had been driving ahead of me for the last 5 minutes. Although he was not going fast you could not have noticed the fact that he obviously enjoyed his new wheels. In one of the turns all of the sudden I have noticed that his front end is giving up and his car went into pretty serious understeer. I mind you, my 530 SP didn't even slide or the DSC light didn't go on. He ended up on the grass in between the road, probably shaken up. I had a little smile on and felt like waving to him. Too bad it was pouring. These are the little moments I appreciate the choice I made last year to go with e39. He was lucky he ended up w/o a scratch.
    lol, come on board! ;)
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    george94... In situations like this TIRES and driver training/experience are everything.

The SP provides better tires than a base 5 Series. Bet he was riding on mediocre all-season tires. Remember, an all-season tires does nothing very well.
  • nottrunnernottrunner Posts: 1
    Will the 530d be available state side? Read an article that essentially said the diesel engine will make other BMW engines obsolete (I'm sure other than the V10 in the M5.
  • mattcmattc Posts: 12
    Some 5 series links from a German site. 5th link down has some publicity pics showing the various 5 series models from oldest (1972) to the latest e60.
      15th link down with Alpina 3.0 litre B7 (155 mph, 0-100 mph 13.7 seconds) & 3.5 litre B7S (162 mph) 5 series cars, fastest 4 door cars in the world
    1978-82.

http://www.e12.de/weblinks/15a05000.htm
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    New E60 530i comes out 6th in a 7-car test! Car does NOT have the Sport Pkg. Has Steptronic AT. MSRP was $54,120, the most expensive of the group.

Sadly, had the 2nd worst slalom speed (a mere 60.7 mph), though it did have 3rd best 0-60 mph time (7.2 secs) and 3rd best 1/4 mile (15.5 secs at 90.8 mph). Top speed electronically limited to 150 mph (runs on V-rated tires).

Car just didn't really stand out in any area.

Interestingly, these moderately expensive sport sedans (which ranged in as-tested price from $34,215-$54,120) ran on some horrible tires. The 530i, Jaguar S-type, and E320 ran on ContiTouringContact EcoP. The 300 ran on ContiTouringContact all-seasons. The A6 and S80 T6 ran on Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s. Even the winning Cadillac CTS ran on all-season tires (Eagle RS). Doesn't anyone put good tires on sport sedans any more? Where are the Pilot Sports? ContiSportContacts?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Forbes awarded the 325 and 530 the best in class for 2004. Interesting in that a car mag gave it low ratings, but a consumer publication gave it high marks. While C&D noted it doesn't stand out in any area, Forbes probably noted it excels in every area.

Such a dilemna for the consumer, who to believe.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,285
    Whom to believe, indeed?

Status & what to be seen driving vs. advertising revenue whoring. A conundrum for sure.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Yes, that is the auto market. There is not one luxo manufacturer where one can't actually say something similiar about. All manufacturers want their cars to denote status without appearing to denote status. Unfortunately none can't, not BMW, not Lexus, not Mercedes, not Acura, etc.
  • joe91joe91 Posts: 14
    I, too, love to read the comparison reports on 530s, etc., but I dare not trust them. After 7 months of test driving all of the vehicles in the 530i class (plus other "sporty" cars such as 350Z, RX-8, etc.), I came to my OWN conclusion: There is nothing in or below it`s class that was better all around (TO ME) than the 530i. I bought it with steptronic, premium pkg., xenons, etc. and I LOVE IT! Even the "all season" tires work well, and believe me, I`ve put it through some "interesting" maneuvers not unlike some that I performed during a one-day BMW driving school (Greer, SC) before I made my decision. Drive `em all and then YOU decide!!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    I have said this before but the '04 530i is overpriced. BMW should have boosted the HP by 30-50 ponies. According to all the car magazine tests so far the '03 is faster than an '04. The best deal going right now is a 545i without SP and toys (just negotiated a deal for $55K). It is too bad that the 5-series will not be a knock out punch across the entire product range.
  • george2george2 Posts: 2
    I am contemplating the purchase of a 2004 525 and have a couple of concerns that I am hoping some of you BMW experts can help me with. (This would be my first BMW)
    I am being told that BMW has gone to a lot of aluminum in the construction of the 2004's and everyone I know in the auto industry advises me to be very careful with that. Steel is stronger and in the event of any major accident any good body shop can take care of straightening steel but will probably not have the equipment to do that with aluminum. Does that concern any of you?

Secondly, I am hearing about all kinds of trouble with the "I state" (or whatever the hell it is called)--The electronic control system that shows up in the middle of the dashboard. Is anyone out there familiar with these problems?

WIll I be happy with the 525 or should I go with the 3.0 engine. I will be using the auto as a over the road cruiser.

Lastly, the salesman tells me that BMW NEVER offers any financial sales incentives to purchasers. Is this correct or a line of sales BS?