Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    If he needs $30k bad, he probably could use $55k, which would sell the car rather quickly as well. You're right to be wary. Insist on getting an independent and knowledgeable BMW technician to check it out thoroughly, and run a CarFax report. As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true...
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    vinu_neuro... snagiel is right. This seems to be too good to be true. Check with the servicing dealer to see what work they've done on it. Check CarFax. Ask to see his service & maintenance records. Etc. But IF it checks out, I'd grab it in a second. Car should still be under warranty.

You should also check to see if the owner made any modifications. Don't want to void warranty or harm the car.

What is the mileage?
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    I just bought a 2003 530ia, with grey leather. I understand that the same products may not be recommended for leather care as for vinyl. Which parts of the interior are leather. Obviously the seats and wheel cover are. How about the door inserts, dash, and armrest? Thanks for any help.
  • rudikamprudikamp Posts: 34
    New models go on sale in Europe in July and in the
     U.S. in October 2003.
  • rudikamprudikamp Posts: 34
    New models go on sale in Europe in July and in the
     U.S. in October 2003.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    According to my friendly German sales guy working for BMW AG, they are currently taking orders/deposits, but the delivery won't be until October. The car will be introduced at the Frankfurt Autoshow, so July will be a bit too optimistic.

Further, E39 production ends in June, and to replace the tooling at the Dingolfing factory in a month, I am not so sure.
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    Cowhide covers the steering wheel (perimeter, not hub), handbrake and shifter boot, the door inserts (around the handle), and, of course, the seats.

The dash and armrest are leather only in the M5.

{The only one I'm not certain about is the door inserts, but I'm fairly confident of that.}
  • blueox2blueox2 Posts: 19
    Mseals and habitat1,

You're right that signing over the title may result in getting hit with sales tax again. The solution we have arrived at is to have the certificate of origin and the subsequent title in BOTH our names. My bank said this was fine as long as my father signs a form stating he understands the car will have a lein on it when I take out the loan.
  • mod62mod62 Posts: 38
    With all this talk about SP v Non - SP, the shaking in my steering wheel was caused by two bent rims on my non-sport! How is this possible?
    I guess aluminum is aluminum.
    Could air pressure cause this? I keep mine at 36F/44R

Thanks,
    Mike
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Mike you live in New Jersey, the land of the crumbling roadways. Need I say more? Did you hit any potholes lately?
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    The recommended tire pressures for the E39 are 29F/33R. Bent rims are not uncommon in the northeast, especially this winter. Better bent rims than suspension components.

Regards....JL
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    I might be wrong but I believe BMW recommends, for the 530i anyway,
    F:33 and R: 41. I carry F:33,R: 36
    since it is either one person or 2 max
    95% of the time.
  • sel3sel3 Posts: 33
    I noticed the shake during the break-in period. Took the car to the dealer, they balanced the tires; 99% of the shake has disappeared. I maintain the 33/41 tire pressure.
  • mod62mod62 Posts: 38
    Thanks for all your responses.

Yes, I have hit many potholes this winter. If I tried to avoid someone that I wanted to, I would have been in an accident! It is like an obstacle course in NJ. The whole tri-state is the same IMO.
    I do remember one particular pothole that made me cringe that probably did the trick on my right side front and rear rims.
    The dealer has seen a ton of bent rims this winter. It thought the one advantage of Non-SP over SP would be ability to withstand these impacts better because of the higher profile tires.
    Yes, better than suspension.
    Tire Pressure:
    I kept high because I thought I would get better feel for the road (read on this board) since I have regular suspension.
    Does BMW recommend: 33/41 or 29/33 (both responses above)and should it be less if there is only one passenger?
    Thanks
  • I've found the much coveted 530i in my area for sale. It's a 2001 model with 24k miles and apparently has the PP and SP.

I have not seen the car personally yet, but I've seen pictures posted on the net. I'm confused that it has SP, but the seats do not look like the seats that are available in the 330i SP--no thigh support! According to BMW, there are 4 different seat configurations available: (1)10-way power driver's seat with power headrest (2) 12-way power sport seats with adjustable thigh support (3) 14-way power front seats (4) 16-way Comfort Seats.

I don't think I've never seen a 5 series with "adjustable thigh support." Also, how do I physicall tell whether the car has the standard 10 speaker audio system, or the premium 12 speaker w/DSP system? Do the head units look different? Where can I find all the speakers?
    Also, how can tell if the car has xenon lights if see it in the daytime. Do the standard and xenon lights look different under the hood?

BTW...what the heck is "shadowline trim?"

I know I've got lots of questions, but hopefully someone can answer them!
  • asteinbergasteinberg Posts: 138
    I was impressed with the BMW530 and with inquiries found a dealer at cost+$1000; BUT, given the 5-series will change in the fall, I went with the Lincoln LSV8Premium Sport, with navigation, nicely discounted due to holdbacks. It has lots of updated changes, and it combines sports and luxury suspensions, with nice traction system. A comparable BMW 540 would have run me at least $16K more. I never thought I'd buy a Lincoln (I've had performance European cars).
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Good luck with your vehicle. While one could debate the LS interior, which is very nice, BTW to the 540, there is no comparison in performance between these two vehicles. In my opinion, not having driven both and looking at specs on paper, a LS V8 will be left in the dust by a 540. As it is a V8 with one additional liter is needed in the LS to marginally beat a 530i.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I can answer some of your questions:

If I am not mistaken, there was a "Sport/Premium Package" available for the 530i in 2001 (for at least part of the model year), and that package did NOT have the sport seats, which were an extra charge option.

I have a 2002 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP, Xenon and Premium Audio, and the seats do in fact have an adjustable thigh support.

Regarding the Xenon headlights, I have noticed that on both of my BMWs that have had them (former 1999 328i and current 530i), when the lights are turned on, they briefly (as in like a quarter of a second) flash REAL bright, and then settle down to their normal intensity, regular Halogen lights turn on directly to their normal intensity.

Regarding the Premium Audio, I am not sure about this one, however, I think that the top right button next to the display will say "Audio" if the car does not have DSP, and it will say "Audio DSP" if it does have it. A further test would be to turn the ignition on (DSP is not changeable when you turn the audio system on with the ignition off) and press the DSP button. When activated, you should see "CONCERT JAZZCLUB CHURCH MEMORY1 2 Off" across the bottom display if in fact that car has DSP.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Shame on snagiel and riez for biting on that bait!

However, had the price been something like $45-50k, that's a "buyer beware" sign. I looked at a 2000 Jaguar XKR convertible that was priced $15k+ below wholesale. The seller looked professional, lived in a nice neighborhood in a $2+/- million house and indicated he was selling since he was going to be returning to Europe and his company told him to liquidate it (business car) quickly. Something smelled funny. A couple of weeks later my wife went by the house and saw an IRS padlock on the driveway gate.

Any car being sold for more than 5-10% under dealer wholesale warrants very careful due diligence. More often than not, it's been in a wreck, been stolen (or has clouded title), or the seller isn't heading to Europe, but rather to jail.