Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• george94george94 Posts: 75
    Rhodes3, I ordered mine on 02/17/03 (530, 5spd, SP, PP and Xenon) and I picked it up on 03/31. I live in Boston. Geographics might delay your delivery. Also, the BMW site was not 100% accurate. I found it running about 5 - 7 days behind. The dealer seems to have the most up to date info. Call them to get the exact status.

Nice color by the way, I have the topaz blue and looks awesome. I also went thru the same debates about 525 vs 530. I found the 530 really fun to drive and more responsive. Nothing wrong with your choice. You will love it.
    I have so far only 400 careful miles..

..g
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Posts: 51
    Reinforcing others,8-9 weeks is what dealer says is normal delivery and there is probably up to two weeks "buffer" in case your ship is in an Atlantic storm or there's a slowdown while the World Cup is on...otherwise it'll probably be here in 6 weeks. Dealer has better info than website.Longest step seemed to be after production complete "awaiting transport", but no step took very long once car was in production.
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    A couple of nights ago, my beloved '02 530i was stolen right in front of my apartment here in suburban Atlanta. Police woke me up with the news the following morning when they found it stripped and abandoned by the side of the road. I finally got a chance to see it today, and it wasn't pretty:

Aside from the bent hood, it's hard to identify much damage at first glance. Following is what appears to have been taken:

- 4 wheels (right front still original; they took the spare)
    - Front seats and rear bench
    - All door panelling, some speakers
    - Gauge cluster
    - Front and rear bumpers
    - (Xenon) headlights and taillights
    - Aux fan

Interestingly, the radio and climate control components are still in place.

The insurance adjuster will be by to look at it later today. From the list above, I don't suspect his estimate will warrant totalling the car out, but god knows what damage lies beneath the surface.

It still isn't apparent to me how those bastards stole it, since there's no sign of anyone manhandling the locks. I suspect they flat-bedded it away, which is really brazen. Police say they don't normally investigate unless they've got witnesses and/or the car was involved in a felony (robbery, hit and run, etc.).

In the meantime, I'm rolling in a smoky 3-year old Dodge Intrepid. Of course I'm mad, but I suppose this is what insurance is for.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    What a drag that is. If they do total it, hope they do it soon enough for you to get your hands on a new 2003 that meets with your requirements for options.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Man, sorry to hear about the theft and all the damage to your 5 er. Your post is pretty calm, I don't think I could be as calm if it happened to me. Thank God for insurance,eh? Hope everything goes well and it is fixed real soon. Keep us apprised and continue to post, we enjoy your skillful command of language and information.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    My commiserations too, man. What a heartwrenching sight! I hope that it is either fixed to your satisfaction or written off and you get an M5 for a song.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's horrible. I'm so sorry.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Very sorry to hear about your car. I hope things work out quickly and you will get back in to a BMW.
    Having recently been restored to the ranks of "BMW Drivers" in general, and my 530i in particular (my analog to your "Smokey Intrepid" was my wife's Grand Caravan), I can really sympathize. So, what's worse than watching your 530i sit in your garage while you recover from a broken leg? A: Looking at pictures of your stolen/stripped 530i in a Police impound yard. :-(

I also hope that you get back into your restored/new 530i in WAY less than the 10 weeks it took me.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I just showed your pictures to a guy I work with, and his guess is that your getting a new car. ;-)

Apparently he has been down this road a few times before. His bet is that your car is worth more in parts to your insurance company than it is to fix it, hence his prediction that they will "Total" it for your.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    soo sorry to hear that. Good luck with the insurance guys and keep us posted.
    ..g
    I appreciate everyone's sympathy. Considering how much I loved...er, love, this car, I'm surprised I didn't break down in tears at the sight of it. I guess it hit me that, in the end, it's just metal, plastic, glass, and rubber, and it's certainly replaceable.

I'll keep you guys updated. Have a good weekend.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    My heart goes out to you as I'm sure everyone's does. I just purchased my new toy (600 on the odometer)and am moving to Atlanta in June. Naturally I'm a little freaked and don't think I could be taking it as well as you are - kudos. Is Atlanta known for high end theft/stripping or are you just chalking this up to bad luck as it could happen in any metropolitan city. What part of Atl? - I'm looking to rent in Highlands/Decatur area. With hindsight, do you recommend or anybdy else recommend the BMW alarm or any other theft deterrent system. I didn't get anything on mine but am seriously reconsidering now. Thanks in advance and my sympathies again!
    As far as I know, all 5-Series cars have the full "Alarm Kit" installed at the factory. I doubt that it would do much good against some dude with a flatbed though. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,409
    If somebody wants your car bad enough, they'll take it. There are ways around alarms (nobody pays attention to them anyway) and other security devices. Even tracking systems such as Lo-Jack have their faults. MB can only track your car if it is on. A friend of mine had his then new MY2001 C320 stolen from his driveway (in Staten Island), trucked up north to Newfoundland, then the car was located when the thieves started it up to load it onto the container.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I find myself wondering about that rather large dent in the hood. Could it be that if someone jumps on the hood from a flatbed "Just So" that the hood pops open? If that was the case, disabling the alarm system would be very easy. Regarding the keys; simply having a duplicate key is not enough, the car would also have to be programmed to "Recognize" that key before it will start.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I have the only two keys for the car, and as Shipo says, it has to be programmed in order to open the door and/or start the engine. I suppose it's possible an insider at the dealer could be involved, but I certainly have no proof.

Indeed, if they flat-bedded it away, the alarm should have gone off. Considering it was the middle of the night (I got home at 10:45), it should/could have conceivably woken someone up (I'm a sound sleeper), but I'm convinced these guys were pros. For example, they had an available assortment of older BMW 5-series wheels to put on after they stole mine. Rookie thieves wouldn't do that.

I'm surprised, too, that they didn't steel the airbags. I've heard they're lucrative in the black market.

Shipo: I'm not sure I understand your equation: Isn't a car (unless it's destroyed) always worth more in parts than it is to fix it? What if the damage is only a broken windshield? Isn't it worth more in parts than to pay for a new windshield?

chile96: Welcome to Hotlanta. I'm actually going to be relocating to the DC area soon, but not because of this incident. I live up in North Fulton, near Roswell. My leasing office swears this was the first car robbery since the place was built in 1996. So, I don't think I live in a high-crime area, but crimes certainly happen everywhere (except, maybe, for New Hampshire :) ). As Shipo said, there's no additional alarm options for the 5-series from the dealer. Lojack is an option, but that helps only if you quickly realize the car's been stolen. In my case, it wouldn't have helped. I have no idea what Atlanta's stolen car statistics look like (I'm sure the PD can provide you with numbers), but I wouldn't be overly concerned if I were you. If you'll have a garage, it should be fine there.
  • seivwrigseivwrig Posts: 388
    Man, I was ready to cry for you. I pray to God that your insurance company does the right thing and total out your car. It seems to me that it would cost more in parts and repair costs then totaling out your vehicle. BMW hourly cost is not low. Also, there always the fear that something is missing when repaired.
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Posts: 29
    To snagiel...I know I am about a month late but thanks for the tracking information. I discovered the web site - owners circle about the same time you answered my request.

I reconsidered the 530i because of the 2004 forthcoming changes plus my wife's prodding and ordered a 330i. To be totally honest I am not sure I made the right decision and if I had the opportunity again I might go with the 2003 530i. Oh well I saved over $6000 and God willing I will have a second chance after the 36 month lease is up. I am excited about the new 330i though. Thanks again.

Dan
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Posts: 29
    I just read about your 5er. Sorry, I hope things work out in the long run. Additionally , I hope the people who caused you so much grief get their pay back 100 fold.