Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• I agree w/everybody's comments.

I got a NAV in my '05 530, and while it is not as easy to use as the Acura's NAV, it is surprisingly accurate.

I like using the "Route List" function, as it mimics "MapQuest", but as I said it's amazingly accurate.

I always wondered how James Bond traveled the world and never gets lost or asks for directions, now I know, he had a NAV.

I travel the city and other states now without fear of getting lost, as when you do make a wrong turn, the NAV adjusts to give you directions to get you back on track.

I like it alot, sure I wish that it was nice as the Acura, but what can you do.

Having the NAV saves alot of arguing with the Misses who I was relying on to read me the Mapquest directions, and she almost always got it wrong, or gave me the info after we missed the turn.
  • I vaguely remember promotional material on the base car mentioned 10 air bags, but found only 8 (6 front, and 2 hps in the rear). Re-reading several non-BMW sources, they mentioned REAR side air bags were optional. Somehow, I feel ripped off as I bought the car for safety features like multiple air bags and stability control (definitely the world's most expensive 184hp car). After seeing the TV ad for the 2005 Honda Odyssey (3 row w/ air bags and VSC), I wanted to trade in the 525 for one, but my wife mostly drives the 525 and refuses.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    t_manero... Buyers always need to do their homework. [Due to legal liability issues, BMW has been leery about putting rear side air bags in their cars. Kids likely to sleep/rest right next to the exploding bag. You don't have that problem with rear side curtain airbags. Believe BMW normally ships cars with the rear side airbags in a deactivated state. My old '98 540i6 had optional rear side airbags. I used to always tell the kids to keep their heads away from the doors.]

I wouldn't worry so much about what all you have and don't have. Worry more about what results are produced. You really should check out the various crash test result sites: IIHS, NHTSA, Euro NCAP, Aus NCAP, Nippon NCAP.

Think you'll find that the E39 5 Series has wonderful crash test results, not to mention lots of testimonials from people who have survived terrible crashes in them.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I'll take a BMW with no airbags over a FWD appliance with a dozen of the things. Anyway, the Accord is MUCH more dangerous; if I had to drive one I'd almost certainly die of boredom. If one equates automotive excellence with the number of explosive devices installed in the passenger compartment, I'd suggest a Volvo-they are somewhat entertaining to drive. Compared to a Accord, at any rate.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,079
    Maybe they could have the airbag in the Accord deploy at preset intervals.. just to keep you awake...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

While we are on the subject (what?).. I'm going to be in Louisville this weekend.. State high school football playoffs.

Consider this my official request for warm weather..

Don't look at me; we attended the UL-Cincy game last Saturday. Rain and 45 degrees. And I still have to change a low pressure P/S hose on the 5er...
    Yeah.. we'll be in the same stadium. That was a mildly entertaining game.. 70-7.. can't imagine sitting through too much of that in the rain.

UC's quarterback (who didn't play) comes from our local high school... But, I'm more of a UK fan.. Thank goodness basketball season is finally here!!

Staying in the Executive Inn out by the airport Friday night.. our game is at 11:30 on Saturday.. I hear that a few Budweisers may sacrifice their life for the cause...

• manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Coming in March '05 with x-drive and new sixes.
  • Thanks. The BMW manual says something about activating rear side bags via the dealer, but half the manual describes OPTIONAL equipment and it isn't clear whether I have any of the "options". Any way, I should ask the dealer (assuming they give the right answer) and BMW should just install the bag and include an on/off switch; I think my Honda has a "child" detector that deactivates the front seat air bag, so there are tech solutions to the liability issue of a child's head near a bag.
    This is my first time here; I detect quite a bit of testosterone static. I told my wife her next car will be a Lexus GS series, but it doesn't have vinyl seats like her 525 for easy cleanup of my 3-year old daughter's organic food and waste (yeah vinyl). In the end, protecting my wife and daughter in an accident is worth the overpriced kidney bean grill.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    t_manero... Live and learn. Don't forget that there are some readily available places to learn about standard and optional equipment in general (e.g., the sales brochures, websites like Edmunds, etc.) and standard and optional equipment on your particular car (e.g., the Monroney window sticker). And there is always the dealership/salesperson. Never assume, always ask or learn.

The window sticker shows what standard and optional equipment came on your car, including safety equipment like airbags, ABS, TC, etc.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    in the back seats, you should see a airbag deactivated sticker if you have the airbags and they haven't been activated yet. My 3er had those so it reminded me to activate them.

-Paul
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    Not true according to BMW. They have no immediate plans for an AWD E60. Where did you get your information?
  • Gentlemen,

For anyone considering a 5 Series who lives north of the George Washington Bridge and doesn't work in the public sector, this is an important issue. Can we get a straght answer?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Ummm, errr, why? When I got my current 530i I lived only about 15 miles northwest of the GWB and it didn't bother me then that the 2002 E39 car only had RWD. I now live in New Hampshire and it still doesn't bother me. In fact, even if my next car is available with an AWD option I'll still order it as a RWD.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I agree completely! In the winter I fit my wife's 5er with a set of Artic Alpins. The car handles winter weather with absolutely no problem. In fact, the only time I am forced to take the Sahara is when the snow depth is over 10"-12" or I need/want the ability to go off the pavement to drive around an accident. The only AWD vehicles I'd want in my driveway are the X5 4.8is(150 mph PLUS it tends to give eco-weenies a coronary) and the STi. But then again, my next vehicle will only have one wheel drive...:)
    Hehe, you gave away my secret. ;-) I love my Arctic-Alpin tires as well, and if memory serves, the extra set of wheels and tires is substantially cheaper than the "xi" option (on the E46). So, order up a car with RWD, pop for a set of "Snows", and pocket the difference. Works for me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yeah, my wife's 528iA has 15" wheels so I believe the whole winter tire package from Tire Rack cost @550. I also I bought a set of OEM BMW E39 wheel covers for another $100. My summer tire is the V-rated Kumho KH11, which-according to Tire Rack tests- beat the OEM BMW Goodyear Eagle RS-A in every performance category. Not bad for $48 a pop. It's amazing how well the non-sport E39 chassis performs when fitted with decent tires. It's no Club Sport, but it can definitely hang with most sports cars on a twisting road. Best of all, at under $200 a set I can afford to drive the big sled a bit aggressively...;)
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    I decided to buy out the lease on 2002 530i SP, PP, 5-sp. I need to buy tires first. I know this is a topic that pops up every other week or so, but now it is my turn. I did an Edmunds search on this topic and also read through some articles on Tirerack. I am still not sure.

The car has 36K on the original Michelin Pilot Primacy Tires. Other than being very noisy, that have been great. What would be a reasonable upgrade (better handling)? This is a southern California car that will never see snow and very little rain. How about the Michelin Pilot Sport or Sport A/S? Same price. The tires have to meet BMW CPO requirements. Any suggestions? 235/45YR17

Also, no matter how hard I try to treat the car well, mistakes happen. I must get them off my chest: (1) one time on hard acceleration, I did not shift in time and as the RPMs headed into redline, the engine cut back. I assume the fuel cut-off stopped the engine RPM from going any higher. (2) I was late to a business meeting and opted to fill up on the way home, the miles-to-empty meter went to zero and when I filled up, 19.2 gallons went in. Are these mistakes so terrible?
    If non-sport.. get the Pilot A/S...

Hitting the rev-limiter shouldn't hurt your car..

Unless your car was sputtering badly by the time you filled it up, that one time shouldn't make any difference either..

Down-shifting resulting in over-revving is another matter... if you do that, you are basically mechanically overriding the rev-limiter... that is what is known as the "money shift".

regards,
    kyfdx

Edit: I see you have the sport package.. If you want summer only tires, there are a lot more choices.. If they have Michelin Pilot PS2 in your size, I'd go that way, but last time I checked they didn't have your size yet...

Thanks, I was just editing my posting when you replied. Tirerack provides a chart showing the PS2 getting top ratings. According to Tirerack, they are available in my size. Thanks.

No "money shifts" for me. However, one time on an unfamiliar mountain backroad I encountered a tight switchback turn with a steep incline at the end of the turn, which I underestimated. I was in 3rd, the car started to lug, down shifted to 2nd and the car still began to lug. Only 1st would get the car up the hill. Also, I did miss a shift once and crunched the gears. Hate that! (note, my daily driver has been a stick for last 25 years, and sometimes mistakes happen)
    If those are your only "mistakes" in three years with the car... and everything seems okay now... I'd say you are in great shape..

I'm sure there are others, but I have blocked them out of my mind..... :)
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    came from dealer friend. Its gonna happen.

Go get your order in.
    It might happen... but, no way by Spring of '05..

The E90 is out in Spring of '05, and you couldn't find a real picture of it until this past August.. If they are coming out with an AWD 5-series, then it will be at least Spring of '06.. otherwise, everyone would know about it, by now.

(He says, with nothing to back it up)

regards,
    kyfdx

• rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I wouldn't count on it. My dealership in NY told me it was happening, then my dealership in IL said it wasn't. I emailed BMW directly and they said no. Now, they probably would be somewhat evasive about giving a true anwer, but I doubt they'd be able to keep it quiet from the entire automotive world (especially if it was happening this coming March).
  • Just put Pirelli P Zero Nero Summer tires on my 2003 530 SP. Replaced Dunlop Sp Sport 2000's at 21K. Only needed 2, but wanted all four to be consistent.

Not enough time to tell, but excellent so far. Running 32 pounds of nitrogen gas in all 4 235/45 ZR17's. Minimal pressure fluctuation with heating/cooling during driving that will hopefully lead to better wear characteristics.

Tire Rack gave the new P Zero Nero SUmmer tires a good review.
  • Shippo,

Not to argue because obviously it works for you, but do you live in flat spot in the Granite State, tend to stay home once you get home after work, and/or have a great guy to who plows the driveway? Living in New England, I don't know how our father's generation did it with RWD sedams with no heated back windows or mirrors back in the 50's and early '60s.

It was a different time though. There weren't any malls or health clubs open until 9 PM every night, people would put chains on if they had to, the one driver in the family had a shorter commute and they respected the weather Carl DeSuse on WBZ ("From Eastport Maine To Block Island") was describing.
    Hmmm, well maybe I haven't lived here in New Hampshire long enough yet (just over two very busy years), however, I didn't know there were any flat spots. It certainly isn't flat where I live, in fact, even the little cul-de-sac that I live on is a seven and half percent grade. :-/

As for my driveway, it is only 160' long, and yes, I clear it myself. :-/ (again) Regarding your "father's" generation, well, I may be closer to that than you think. I learned to drive in the snow in cars built in the 1960s, and yes, they had RWD, no heated back windows or mirrors and to make matters worse, the wheels were shod with slippy sliddey bias-ply tires, which were usually good for only about 15,000 miles.

Having said all of that, all it takes is one snowy ride in a BMW shod with modern snow tires to be made a believer. Prior to springing for my first set (after 4 winters in a 328i with All-Season rubber) I was very much in the "Winter tires are a waste of money" camp. However, once I made the change, I was totally flabbergasted at the complete transformation the Arctic-Alpins made in my 530i. With the OEM tires, I was barely able to make it up my driveway, much less up my street, after the switch, the car felt like it was riding on rails, over hill, over dale, and around every curve. ;-)

Now, does that mean that a RWD optioned BMW with snow tires is the do all/end all in winter driving? Nope! I'll leave that to the folks that shell out for BOTH AWD AND winter tires. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo