Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,943
    The E60 will become more popular.. You can still get a late model, super low-mile E39 right now... but, in another year, that will be harder to find..

Some of you dislike the looks of the E60 so much, you'd never buy it.. but, I would say the number of people in that subset is pretty small..

It still is the only BMW mid-size sedan, and by all accounts is a great drive.. That will sell a lot of cars, right there... I predict they will be just as popular as the E39, eventually...

regards,

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    Probably all true but that doesn't change the way it looks. But who knows maybe it will grow on me. Like a fungus.
    Hey... that's my line!! ;-)

Sorry, I plead guilty.
    I'm sure I "borrowed" it from someone else.. you can use it..

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Should be a boon for the tow truck operators.
    I would love to buy a new E60. The only thing standing in my way is the idrive/reliability issue. They are positively correlated.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I still don't think the AWD option is true by the way. My dealership and BMW both said that there are no immediate plans to have an AWD E60. As far as NAV goes, the improvement for 2005 is that you can get both NAV and SAT radio together. In 2004 you could only have one or the other. I don't think they changed NAV functionality though.
    Whether it's ulgy or not is completely subjective. You think it is, but everyone that has seen mine thinks it's really attractive. Seriously, you'd be amazed at how many people walk up to me and offer their completely unsolicited praise of how the car looks. So different strokes for different folks. No one is an expert on what is good looking or not.
    Like I said; never underestimate the....
    It is subjective, I know. Enjoy your car.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    I believe it was H. L. Mencken who said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

I've been using this quote since I got out of high school, not quite 40 years ago.

It was true in his day, it was true in mine (or at least in my salad days), and it's true now.
    Thanks for the proper quotation!
    Hmmm. Good to see you haven't changed much since the good 'ole high schools days. I'll hold off on saying anything negative about our neighbors to the north because though high school was only 16 years ago for me I'd like to think I've matured just a little since then. Anyway, ksccts, as I said to designman, I do like my car (obviously), and I'm not saying all of this for your validation. I'm simply pointing out that just because you don't like it doesn't make the car ugly or a bad car. Hell, for all I know the fact that you don't like how it looks may mean it's a true work of art!
    Oh, and by the way, have you happened to look at the European sales figures for the E60? But then, I guess they have bad taste too right?
    We all know most europeans have bad taste as do most Americans as do, in reality, most people. Nice sentence structure. Actually, if I don't like how a car looks then that does make it unattractive. E60 is a great car, some traits not included, but it is not a good looking auto no matter how many people swear the opposite.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Err, let's be careful about sweeping generalizations - individual opinions are fine and what we are here for, but to declare that some, any, group of people all feel the same way, and even worse, the way "they" feel is somehow "bad" a) doesn't make sense and b) isn't good form. Okay?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    We can agree there are varied tastes and one man's meat is another man's poison.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    Gentlemen, (Let's have a group hug)

We all can agree that these cars are great, most people on this board drive one.

There is no doubt that the E39 is a classic automobile, the E60 is the natural evolution of the model and in due time this model will take it's place in the classic ranks.

We are all very fortunate that we have the time to debate about our very expensive toys.

Everyone have a blessed holiday season!!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,461
    "1) the 545 doesn't seem (significantly) more powerful than the 530. Just can't get over the relatively anemic hp ratings for the 530, though. But yes, the 530 still seemed EVEN STRONGER than the 05 RL which I've also driven, rated at 300hp."

Don't look at the 530i's hp ratings on paper. BMW has been known to quote very conservative hp numbers. The Inline 6 is inherently balanced and turbine smooth. It also produces healthy amounts of torque. So when you felt the 530i quicker than the RL, you're right it probably is. But if you really want numbers, then wait until the late '05s come out with the 3.0L valvetronic I6 rated at close to 260hp.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    Hey rich545, I've experienced the same phenomena with my E60 (2005 545 six-speed). In the month and a half that I've had it here in the States, at least a half dozen people have walked up to me to compliment my ride. One guy even ran out of the dealership and demended to know what color my it was (Olivene Green) because he was going to buy 'the same damn thing'.
    No reliability issues? I'm thinking seriously of a 545 next August.
  • I killed a board a month or two ago. This time I'll be brief and paraphrase.

BMW decided to chase volume 25-30 years ago.

Each "advancement" has been resisted by the fan.

Sales increase, but each generation is less a "BMW" to the fan.

Eventually BMW will be bought out, but they will not be making "BMW"s any more.
    I've got news for you.. the more cars they sell, the less chance of being bought out.. One family controls a majority of the stock in the company... They don't have to sell, if they don't want to.. And, if they sell more cars, they won't need to.

The old geezers still driving their 2002s don't have the numbers to support a thriving car company.. so, I'm kind of glad that BMW has moved onward and upward and isn't marketing to them anymore.

Really... the majority of people griping about the E60 are E39 owners.. Most people really like the new styling..

That doesn't mean that it is attractive.. that is a personal decision.. but, all of this claptrap about it being the end of the company.. please..

regards,

kyfdx

Interesting perspective.
    Nice reading comprehension. It makes the car unattractive to YOU, not everyone else. I'm glad that you seem to think you're the pinnacle of good taste, but I'm sure that's arguable at best. Enough of this childish bantering though. If you'd like to continue bashing everyone that likes how the E60 looks go right ahead. It says more about you than it does about us anyway.
    Pretty wild isn't it? I never expected it, and this certainly never happened with the '03 330xi I had before it. I guess it's the kind of design that people either love or hate. Not a lot of middle ground.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    No need to take it personally, it's not childish, rather it's an opinion, an expression of disappointment with hope that it will change. I hear people criticizing the car, not the people who buy it. In other threads people criticize each others cars/brands and get along just fine. I prefer the term "criticize". "Bashing" is little too billigerent.
    Companies that don't grow or change die eventually. I don't really know who "the fan" is, but I can't think of a single company that failed because of increased sales. There is no such thing as a car that defines "BMW". Different people have their favorite models and model years so how do you decide what "BMW" really is? The fact is the company is trying to stay ahead of its competition which is proactive and smart. There will always be people that resist any change. BMW as a company can't worry about them because all that they do is hold the company back. What yould you like them to do? Produce the same exact cars every year forever? It would be interesting to take a poll on this board to see how many people that hate the E60 actually own the E39. I'm willing to bet it's an overwhelming majority.