Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,396
    I'm waiting to reserve judgement on the new E60 until I see it in the flesh.

As far as the E39 goes, I went poking around a local dealer's showroom on Saturday (it was weird not working on Saturday, I had so much time) and there was a beautiful Black/Black PP, SP, and I don't know what else 525i with a 5 speed manual. Definitely a cool car.

The guy infron of me at the car wash had a light blueish/Black Interior 540iA SP with the M5 wheels, and M5 badges on the side (glued on crooked). Before I spotted the Auto trans, I saw only 1 tailpipe sticking out the back, not 4 so I knew. While our cars were being dried, I asked him how he liked his 540. He said "It's an M5, and I love it." As he said that I told him his car was nice and to have a nice weekend.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• riezriez Posts: 2,361
    nyccarguy... You should have complimented him on his very rare (ultra rare?) M5a. :)

Though I guess that Dinan S3 automatic is supposedly the next best thing to such a thing as an "official" M5a.

Is interesting that Alpina finally came officially to USA by offering what ends up being their Z8a. Go figure!
  • bmwgurubmwguru Posts: 51
    I've always wondered why people put a M badge on their car to try to pass it off as an M. BMW people are very astute when comes to our' favorite brand and can tell a fake right away. You don't know how many M 318i's I've seen and laughed at.
  • sirtigersirtiger Posts: 38
    how can u be sure if it is even a 540ia? It could have been a 525ia... LOL.. that is really sad if he believes he has a imaginary M power in there.... Perhaps the rebadging is worth 15 HP.... I need to "upgrade" to a 760Li soon....
    In an odd way they do us all a service. They point out the value of certain cars. Those cars are unique and their properties are valued. As are their resale values. M5 is no exception. Or the (odd) M Coupe. Wouldn't we all love to have a real M5? Too bad I can't afford one! But I can dream.
  • diver110diver110 Posts: 67
    Thanks for the feedback riez. When did BMW start making teh steptronic?
    diver110... Someone here probably knows. I don't. I'm thinking it was sometime in late 1990s. Say around '97-'99. I'm not a fan of automatic transmissions so I don't pay too much attention to them.

Do keep in mind that BMW buys automatic transmissions from others. Believe many are now GM's built in France. Thinking others are ZFs. Heart of BMW's Steptronic is the internal electronic "brains" that control the shifting. Others use the same transmission (e.g., Cadillac CTS) with different "brains".

BMW also outsources its manuals. Historically to ZF and Getrag.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    For those who are considering a new (at least new for you) 5-Series, and are concerned about the "Rough Ride" if you opt for the Sport Package, maybe I can help you off/over the fence.

For the last week my soon to be 70 year old Mother-In-Law (we call her Muzzy; don't ask) has been with us so she can do "Kid Duty" while I am across the pond in London and Paris for the next week or so. Needless to say, given that she lives in Dallas, I have had to show her around to the various points that she will have to navigate to by herself during my absence. As a result, she has spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel in my 530i 5-Speed, PP, SP (yes, like her daughter Mrs. Shipo, Muzzy Loves driving cars with three pedals, go figure). What I find entertaining is her constant praise for how wonderful my 5er is to drive, and how good it looks, inside and out (she is an interior designer by trade), however, her most frequent comment is how smooth and supple the ride is. She has commented several times on how the ride feels smoother than her (former) employers' S-Class MB, which didn't handle as well either for that matter. To top it off, Muzzy (at a whopping 5'4" and 95 pounds) has absolutely no meat on her bones to absorb any undue/abrupt motions to her backside, so I guess she should know.

In the final analysis, a 5-Series with the SP does in fact firm up the ride a little when compared to the non SP equipped cars (in exchange for a considerable bump in the cars' handling abilities), however, that does not mean that you are going to lose the fillings from you teeth every time you drive over a rough road.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    BMW's Sport Pkg is an outstanding balance of enhanced handling at minimum ride degredation. No other manufacturer pulls it off so well. Too many have Sport Pkgs that lead to punishing ride. Don't know how BMW does it, but only they do it so well. Wonderful synergy of selected tire and chosen suspension settings.

Sport Pkg is only way to go!
    I have heard that if you live in a city with bad roads (e.g. my city, Baltimore), that the sports package is a bad idea. One can easily bend a rim (at god know what cost to replace) etc. Do people agree?
    I suffered 5 bent rim events on my 1995 VW Passat GLX (factory rims were a single piece BBS design) while living in the NYC metro area between 1995 and 1999. As a result, I ordered my 1999 328i without the SP, and while it was a fine car for my needs, the day I spent driving Brave1Heart's (of 3-Series discussion fame) 2001 325i with SP in December of 2001 convinced to take the risk of a bent rim or two on my next car. So far, after a year and 14,000 plus miles initially in the NYC metro area, and now in the Boston metro area, I haven't bent a rim, yet.

An interesting item of note, my 530i with the Sport Package includes the Type 42 "Cross Spoke Composite Wheel II" two piece (if you don't count the bolts) wheels (which can be had from PacificBMW.com for $416.40). I find myself wondering if just the rim component can be replaced in the event of an unscheduled encounter with a pot-hole. If so, is that less expensive than simply buying a new wheel? Either way, I am glad I opted for the Sport Package and of course the requisite separate set of winter wheels and tires from tirerack.com (about $1,000) for the winter months.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwgurubmwguru Posts: 51
    You can't replace sections of the wheel. It is only sold as a unit. I wouldn't let the roads scare me from buying the Sports package. You can bend any wheel.
    Shipo. Now that you mention it, I think it is the winter about which I heard the most complaints. Of course, changing out the wheels would fix that. Is it possible to convert a nonsport package (like mine) into a sport one, and if yes, can you do it in stages and thereby test out the ride? I have heard that tires and wheels are the most important part. True, not? (Obviously, I am a new BMW owner (2000 540i wagon).
    "Is it possible to convert a nonsport package (like mine) into a sport one, and if yes, can you do it in stages and thereby test out the ride?"

For the most part, yes (the "M Sport Package" for the wagon offers lots of goodies that have nothing to do with the suspension). That said; you will probably be best served by opting for non-BMW suspension components (as in Dinan and other aftermarket suppliers). If you want the factory look, you can buy BMW wheels from several sources on the internet such as ebay.com (new and used), roadfly.com (new and used) and of course the previously mentioned pacificbmw.com. If you don't need to have BMW wheels, then tirerack.com is a good place to start for wheels and tires.

Once you have the tires (which like you said, are probably the most important component), you can start the shopping for the other goodies. Were I you I would start on the Dinan site http://www.dinanbmw.com and go from there. Good luck, let us know how you fare.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Does that mean you will be out of touch? I hope not -- you should try very hard to check in mid-week or so...

:)
    Fortunately (or otherwise) this is a business trip (at least the London part), and (for me at least) by definition, that means that I will have access to the internet. So, other than being a few hours earlier than most folks, I will still be around. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Two tips of the old hat to Muzzy all 95 pounds of her, she is a TRUE enthusiast ! That has got to be one of the best stories I've seen on these posts. I loved it. I have to tell you this story.... my wife and I were motoring north of SF in Marin county headed for Sonoma county's wine area and ahead of me going about 75 miles per was a vintage 1968 2002. As I caught up to the driver I noticed it was a she and honked not expecting a glance but
    she did and I gave her the "thumbs up" sign and she just lit up with the widest grin you have ever seen, it was priceless ! What a beautiful car.
    ...still feeling young enough to enjoy driving a nice Bimmer... Priceless! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Cool - well check the front page around Thursday or so and have a great trip.

;->