Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I just sold my 2002 530 and bought a 2003 M5. I also test drove (auto) a 545i while looking for the M5. It was very smooth and quiet, but still plenty fast. When BMW puts the updated 4.8 engine in the 5 series, I think it should be right up there with E39 M5, with better gas mileage. I still liked the styling and the M-ness of the M5, though.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    You're my hero! I'm still batting around the idea of an E39 M5 instead of the new E90 330i. For me at least, one of the big drawbacks of going the M5 route is that I can't do the whole ED thing on a used M5. :cry:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I hear you, I really wanted to go back to Germany and drive the BMW "properly". I was torn between the M5 and drive through Alps. I did a quick tour in 10/03 through the Dolomites, and some of the passes in the Alps, which is one of the most memorable drives so far. If 130i (I really like the hatchback style, BTW) makes it to the states, I might just do that.
  • Hey guys,

I'm from Europe(romania) and i own a 01 BMW 530 D comonrail. The car performs great and at highway at 200km/hours the consume is about 10 liters per 100 km. I put a power cip on it and now it has around 220 hp( i don't know exactly cuz there is no dinan here to test my car. But the point is the consume is low and the power great and i can smoke the 530 i even if it have a 10 horse power advantage andi can do it with less gas. My car have a diesel engine and the the prices on diesel fuel are lower than gas fuel. My point is. Buy a diesel BMW!
    I have one question. I bought the car with no manual and i just wondering what is the function of the button with an A on it below the air conditioning button, on the climate control board.

Thank you
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Not much consolation but you can still get your 1k CCA rebate if you find one thats CPO.

DL
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    If the 01 and 02 are the same, the A inside the infinity symbol (figure eight on its side) is the automatic recirculated air control. If the lights on this button are off, air is flowing in from the outside. If the left side light is on, the system monitors the air quality of the outside air and switches back and forth between recirculation and outside air supply as necessary. If the right side light is on, there is NO intake of fresh air; only recirculation of the air already inside.

Can I answer any other questions? It's tough not having a manual.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,290
    Alex,

I'm very interested in seeing what happens when/if the European lux brands bring their diesels to North America. I've driven diesel Audis & VW's in Germany (& adjacent areas) & enjoyed them very much.

So far, it hasn't happened.

By the way, diesel fuel often costs more than gasoline these days, both in America and in England. I made a point of asking for a diesel rental vehicle on a recent business trip to England, and paid several pence more for each litre. Of course, I made up much more than the cost difference in improved fuel mileage.

Bear in mind that the majority of the people who participate here deal with miles per gallon, as opposed to the metric standard of litres/100 km. FWIW, 10 litres/100 km is approximately equivalent to 23.5 mpg. I've gotten upwards of 35 mpg on diesels in Europe at high speed and/or in the Alps, so your "power cip" appears to trade quite a bit of fuel mileage for performance.

It's interesting to hear from people outside the U.S. & Canada on these subjects. I hope you continue to enjoy your car.
  • hello,

thank you for the answer. Today i played with the button just below the tachometer and with the contact key as well and the kilometers on the board transformed into miles and at the climate control showed the temperature in faranhaid.:), i think it switch to american roads:) After a few minutes i manage to get it back the way it was.Today i upgraded the music in the car. Before buying this car i owned a audi a4 and the stereo system was great. The stereo system in the bmw sucks. I changed all the tweeters and boxes witch were nokia:) with DLS and i put and amplifier with a DLS woofer open air. Now it's sounds great!!
  • Hello,

Here is Romania one liter of diesel fuel cost around 1 dollar and a liter of gas cost 1,2 dollars, i think is due to the fact that romania is not in the european union(it will be in 2007) till then , i think the prices will be the same. Yes, the power cip consumes but i like the power it brings. Here is full of chevrolet's , but the asians one:) Chevrolet purchased the daewoo factories and now i see a lot of mini cars with the chevrolet sign on them:)

Sorry for my english. I skipped a lot of classes. it school.
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    We were in Holland and Germany for 2 weeks. Rented a Passat (with kids and a budget was limited in choices). The 530 would have been a dream to drive in Germany. As you can imagine, we saw a lot of BMW's from 1-series to 5-series touring (wagons) to a few 7-series and even a few new 6-series convertibles. The 530 would have given me more confidence when driving on the Audobon at speeds of 160 kph (100 mph) and above. Of course at those speeds, gas mileage suffers. We were quite surprised at the gas prices. We paid 1.17 Euro per liter for 91 octane in Germany (approximately $5.98/gallon) and 1.33 Euro per gallon for gas in Holland (approximately $6.80/gallon). In Holland, a 15 gallon fill-up is a $100 jolt. The most interesting car we saw was the Smart Car. I think it is smaller than a Mini-Cooper and can park in the smallest places. All-in-all, though, I love my 530.
  • Hello pen101,

Smart is a great choice for the old crowded towns with small roads.(witch are most towns in Europe) My girlfriend owns a diesel one.There is no luggage compartment and there is a strange claustrophobia feeling when you drive it. Its a fun car. The chassis is made by Swatch(the watches manufacture) and the engines are provided my mercedes.I have funny story to tell.

I was driving my car witch is a BMW 530 D on the freeway at about 80 Km\H(50 miles\h and chatting with a friend who was smoking with the window down. A smart overtake us and after a few minutes my friend realize that a smart passed by, so i increse the speed to about 120 miles\h but , no smart ahed of us. I never cought that smart, i don't know where it was, due to the fact that there were no highway exit arround 30 miles.May be was a tunned smart , cuz with his 40HP engine is hard to think the crusing speed was above 120 miles.
    Any indication yet if there will be a bump in horsepower on the 2006 MY 545 similar to the 7-series with the 4.8?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,863
    Yes.. in the fall, it will have the new engine, and be the 550i...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

thanks. A friend of mine is close to buying the 2005, but if the 550 is coming this fall, they will wait a few more months and order the 550 instead. What is your source for this information. Is it reliable?
    If the Smart car had a diesel engine top speed is 75mph, but if it is the 61 hp gas engine, then top speed is 84 mph. This info is directly from the smart car web site.

To stay on 5-series topic, just replaced front bumper on my 530 because dog bit it (really) and caused big teeth marks in it and also because the bottom stock air dam tore off due to too many scraps with parking curbs. Cost is $515.
    Other BMW forums.. I think it is fairly common knowledge... If I had to put a number on it, I would say 98%....

Of course, if they are leasing, they could do ED on a 545i lease now, and drive for 2/3 of the cost of the new 550i in the fall...

regards,
    kyfdx

Also... you are still my hero for pulling off that MMR deal and getting your car CPOed for almost no cost... Sorry to hear about your bumper...

thanks.

I have now replaced both the front (dog bite + curb damage) and rear (rear-ended) bumpers on the car. I also replaced the clutch (went out after just 14K miles) and tires (after 36K). The PS2's now on it are great.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Your clutch went out at 14K miles? What's the story on that?
    Irritating story regarding the clutch, so I'll be brief. I have owned exclusively stick shift (Japanese) cars since 1980 ranging from an econo-box car all the way up to a turbo Supra. The clutches always lasted at least 80K miles. Clutch on my 530 went out at 14K miles. Regional BMW rep says customer abuse so they would not pay for it. I argued all the way up the chain at BMW, with little success. Finally I had it fixed and was given deep discount from BMW. It would have cost me more in lost time and inconvenience (plus possible lost income) to fight it in court than to have it fixed at the discounted price. So I did. I have now over 26K miles on the new clutch with no problems. I must say though that the BMW clutch is the most difficult to use smoothly than any other car I have owned. Even today, the 1st to 2nd gear shifts can still be jerky if I am not careful. It has been suggested on this board to remove a small device on the clutch that causes this. However I am reluctant to modify the clutch in this way.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    The "small device" is known as the "clutch delay valve" or CDV. No harm will result from removing it; it's not even fitted to the E39 M5. I'd go ahead and yank the thing-it is a real pain.
    What, exactly, is the purpose of the clutch delay valve? I can't consistently shift smoothly into second or start smoothly from a standstill, and it drives me nuts.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    The clutch lock valve aka "CDV" regulates the flow of hydraulic fluid used to actuate the clutch. Regardless of your "driving style", the flow of fluid is consistent minimizing clutch wear by drivers new to driving a manual trans. If you learned to drive a manual trans using a BMW with a CDV, it would not be a problem, but most people haven't resulting in dissatification with the BMW clutch. Since the CDV prevents the driver from "modulating" the clutch to fit the situation/driving style, the result are jerky 1st/2nd gear shifts. Removing the CDV returns clutch control back to the driver. There is no physical change to the clutch when the CDV is removed - it only affects the flow of hydrualic fluid.

Hope this helps...JL
    It does help. Thanks. But it also raises a question. If I had learned to drive a stick on a BMW, what would I be doing differently from what I do now? Meaning, what's the *trick* to smooth shifts with a BMW clutch?
    I kind of agree with all but that part... Even if you learned to drive on a CDV equipped car, it would still delay engagement of the clutch and make smooth shifts hard to achieve....

Unless, of course, you would get used to not getting immediate acceleration after shifting....

BMWs have never had the greatest clutch/shifting anyway, but this CDV thing is just nuts... I'm used to difficult manuals... I've had a 911 and a '67 BMW.. but you shouldn't have to put up with that on a modern car..

regards,
    kyfdx

Now that seems bass-ackwards. I thought BMWs are engineered for quick shifts. If you are not getting immediate acceleration after shifting, where's the *quick* in that?
    Not in my experience... the shifter and clutch are definitely not up to par with the engine.... If we could just get a Honda-inspired manual transmission to hook up with that sweet six... that would be the ultimate....

• rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    My dealer confirmed this when my wife test drove the X5 last week. So my 545 will already be outdated!
    Yeah... it must suck only having 325 HP.... You will be hanging your head in shame... ;)

Unless, of course, you would get used to not getting immediate acceleration after shifting....

the shifter and clutch are definitely not up to par with the engine....

Hmmm...the other day I was at a light next to a 325i. When it turned green, I shifted into first...and looked up to see the 3er waaaaaaay down the road already. (Surprise, surprise; I'm usually first out of the gate). That car was a rocket. I caught up to him, but clearly he got *immediate acceleration.*