Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Thanks to all for your thoughts. A wheel supplier in my area also suggested that 16 inch wheels would not fit the 530 with SP because of the caliper size. My concern with 17 inch wheels is the greater possibilty of damage if one were to hit a pothole (lower profile tires).

Has anyone used 17" wheels with winter tires and if so, what have been your experience?

Thanks in advance
  • gongligongli Posts: 2
    With auto climate control on, temperature set at 70F. Even if inside the car is hot, the air condition will not turn itself on (unless I press the AC button). Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Please advise.
  • phmphm Posts: 4
    Anybody knows how to clean the dashboard (black color). It looks dirty but I don't know what appliance to use for it. Thanks.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Your supplier is wrong. My 530i SP has no clearance problem with 16 inch wheels, which were sold by my local BMW AG dealer (Berlin). In fact, the only winter pkg BMW AG offers for 540 and 530 are with 16 inch wheels. The only 17 inch winter wheels are for M3 and M5.

As suggested before, www.tirerack.com can show you the list of 16 inch wheels that will fit any 5-series models
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Thanks for that link.
  • karmikankarmikan Posts: 116
    You're not doing anything wrong, the a/c needs to be turned on manually. It seemed a bit strange to me at first because on every other car I'd had with climate control, the compressor came on automatically.

The BMW approach seems pretty intuitive once you get used to it and I prefer it.
  • Hi,

Enjoying the posts here. Is there any major changes in terms of engine and technologies between 2001 530A model and 2003? I came across an 01 model with PP,SP 30,000miles for $32,000. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jacques
  • I checked with my local BMW dealer today and yes, last winter they only sold a 16" wheel package wither either alloy or steel wheels for the 530 SP. I believe he said the OEM alloys were the BBS cross spoke design . They ran out of supply early because it seems that more people are buying the the sport packages these days.

Thanks
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    I would not get them from a dealer. Too expensive. I've got a set from tirerack.com for about $1,000. They fit perfectly well on my 2002 540 sport. Dealer’s price was something like $2,500.
    One advantage of being in Germany, other than the autobahn, is that the winter wheel/tire pkg was surprisingly inexpensive from the dealer last year. It cost me about $1200 and that was only about $100 more than Tirerack price. Due to the current exchange rate it would be more likely about $1400 now.
  • drdwdrdw Posts: 21
    Does the wheel from German dealer has a BMW logo? To me, the ~$300 difference between tirerack's and dealer's in US is mainly due to "BMW" brand.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    I'm in the minority here, but if my car is still under warranty, I prefer to have the tire work done by a BMW dealer. I think it prudent to have a 4-wheel alignment done with every complete tire replacement. Might cost your $100 but worth it. I'm not a fan of replacing tires without an alignment.

I'm surprised the BMW dealer's price so much higher. I have NOT found that to be the case with my local BMW dealer. He is a bit more expensive than local tire shops and chains but more like $5 or $10 a tire, at least for the Continental ContiSportContact 2s I recently put on my 540i6 and ContiTouringContacts I put on my wife's 323ia.

Besides the 4-wheel alignment, I tell the service writer to have the mechanic look at the brakes, suspension, etc. Never hurts to have 'em take a look at things while the tires are off. Peace of mind and they might see something.
    The pkgs always come with BMW wheels, unless it is a regular steel wheel. Mine pkg consisted of Dunlop Wintersports M2 (H-rated) and the wheels that come with non-sport pkg 530i in the US.
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    Occasionaly my wife would ask if I smelled any strange odors in the garage. I always took it lightly and thought the trash needs to be brought out. Well, this am I open the hood of my 2003 530 and this odor is coming from the car!!!! It seems to happen only when the engine is warm and it seems to be located somewhere on the front of the engine block. I read some posts about strange odors coming from the AC unit. I don’t recall if you, gents, had any resolutions. This doesn’t protrude the cabin, however, it is rather strange. This car has only 3k. Any idea?
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Here in midwest, this time of year my garage ends up smelling of dead grasshoppers from the front of my 540i6. I drive her on lots of county 2-lane paved farm roads. Hoppers everywhere. Nasty stench. And the buggers are hard to get out of the grille, radiator, rims, and in every nook and cranny of the front end.
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    I wish it was this simple. I even took a flashlight and looked. Nothing. Everything is clear as far as I can tell. It is almost like something would be rotting...Going to work tomorrow. The engine will heat up so I will see (or should I say smell?).
    .g
    It is not uncommon to find mice in the car. Unother list had someone who had to replace much of the wiring harness because a mice family nested in the car and chewed it up!
  • sharrissharris Posts: 32
    Parking my pristine 8-month old 530 the other day, I pulled into an angled space and misjudged the height of the curb. As a result, I scraped the underside of the bumper on the passenger side. ARRGGHH! First blemish on my baby. Sigh. Anyway, I want to take it to a good body shop to get it fixed. I'm in Mtn. View, CA, not far from Allison BMW. I'd appreciate a reference to a good body shop in my area. Thanks!
  • Try Allen's Auto Body on Quarry Road in San Carlos: they specialize in BMW's. They are priced high but they do a great job.
  • tuckpanatuckpana Posts: 20
    Got in the machine today and the radio will not turn on....Computer still works...But you push the radio knob and nothing happens...Any thoughts before I bring it in? Thanks...