Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Keep in mind that extended maintenace programs and extended warranties have commissions and profits built into their cost. You only come out ahead if greater than average maintenance is required.
  • Keep in mind that extended maintenance programs and extended warranties have commissions and profits built into their cost. You only come out ahead if greater than average maintenance is required.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,370
    A lot of it depends on how many miles you drive... If you drive 20K/year, then you will easily get your money's worth.. as the 60K and 90K services will be covered....

But, if you are only driving 8K-10K miles/yr, then I wouldn't bother..

One other thing... Is the car CPO? If you are going to bring it back to the dealer for the warranty work for the next 3 years, then you'll likely be coming there for service, as well.. This would push me towards buying the maintenance to match the warranty....

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    If you drive 20K/year, then you will easily get your money's worth.. as the 60K and 90K services will be covered.... But, if you are only driving 8K-10K miles/yr, then I wouldn't bother..

Very true. Maybe I should have been more clear about people getting their money's worth.... Any warranty or maintenance plan depends on how you drive.
  • I recently purchased a 2006 525i and experienced a noticable shudder at 65mph. The dealer first balanced the 2 front tires. This did not solve the problem. They then rotated and balanced the tires and the car still drove the same way. The Service Rep mentioned that "It's a sports car so you should expect certain vibrations". BMW then authorized the dealer to replace the two front tires. If they rotated the tires, I assumed that they ended up replacing the rear tires. So if the front tires where the original problem, then they are now on the rear.....The major shudder has subsided but I'm still not happy with the vibrations I feel in the steering wheel at 65-70mph. Am I experiencing normal driving vibrations or should I keep bringing this car in for service?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Do you have active steering or active roll stabilization? They MIGHT be an issue, but I suspect it is something much simpler.

Have you had all the tires balanced? Just because it came from the dealer it doesn't mean they balanced it properly or you haven't lost some weights off the wheels.

-Paul
    Have you tried driving another 2006 525i on their lot? See if other individual cars feel the same way.... I have heard of people thinking something is wrong or weird with their car because they are just not used to it.
  • I have a 530XI which I took delivery in July. I've experienced the same thing which starts at 45 MPH then goes away above 65+ MPH. The dealership acknowledged the vibration and a harmonic drone which sounds like excessive tire noise at those speeds. They kept the car for two days - then basically chalked it up to - the car is performing according to specs.

Every car experiences some vibrations - but there is no reason it should pick up at specific speeds and is easily repeatable on any road. I'm hoping to find other individuals who are experiencing a similar issue in an effort to pinpoint what may be common and force the dealerships hand. There were several other post a few weeks ago on this thread.
  • Suggest high-speed on car balancing from a top drawer wheel/tire dealer. Typically balanced up to 120MPH. Takes entire wheel/tire and suspension system into account. May help to determine source of the imbalance.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,285
    Hunter "road force" balancing equipment has been very helpful in eliminating this sort of thing in other brands with sensitive suspensions. It's capable of telling the operator how to clock the tire on the wheel to get the best result, as well as when the tire cannot be balanced. Tire Rack will generally replace tires that are rejected by a road-force balance.
  • Am ordering new 550i and would like to know if anyone has opinion on HUD as well as active steering. Does anyone know if you can turn off the HUD if it gets annoying ( wihout dimming all the interior lights). Also, has anyone driven a B with active steering and does it feel right?
    appreciate any thoughts
    yellowdog
  • Since the car is brand new and under warranty, shouldn't the dealer be able to perform this type of test? I'd hate to bring it to an outside place and have to pay when the car was delivered to me in this condition.
  • Strictly my opinion - I would NOT get either HUD or Active Steering.

I recently drove a loaner 530i w/ HUD when my M5 was in for routine service. I found it gimmicky and a little distracting. Fortunately, I was told that you can turn it off.

As far as active steering goes, another 750i I drove had it (standard feature, I believe). Whether it was related to the active steering or simply the size and suspension setup of the car, I was dissapointed in the lack of steering feel and precision I am used to with my M5. My brother in laws new 911 S has a similar feature and, if anything, the steering feel is improved over the former 996. So who knows.

In any case, I strongly recommend that you test out these two options yourself before ordering them. Their "value" is highly subjective and, in the case of BMW's active steering, might even be negative for some.
    A majority of people find HUD distracting... You'll notice that most dealers don't stock cars with that option -- mostly special orders. The idea is neat, but you'd have to see for yourself if you like it or not.

If you like the steering/handling feel of BMWs (and who doesn't?!?!), then forget active steering. It makes steering "easier" (don't have to use as much effort), especially in parking lots (making slow, tight turns), but you lose all the good BMW steering feel and it just feels kind of numb..... If you choose active steering, then you might as well just drive a Lexus. :P
  • Thank you. I have owned a 72' 2002 a 74' 2002, a 535 csi, 97' 540 ( my current car and my love, even with 135k) , and a 04' X5 4.8. The feel of the road is unique in the B and the reason I keep comming back for more. Im hoping the 550 wont dissapoint ( although quite frankly the body changes dont thrill me). My 540 is just getting up there and although runs perfectly, it is time to retire it......
    Although the HUD sounds gimiky I thought it would be cool, ONLY if you could turn it off. If not I dont think I will order with it. Also, has anyone seen what the aero kit looks like and if so would you recommend it? Its kind of pricy and maybe a better one that is aftermarket.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    SB
  • I have a 530xi with HUD and love it! Thought it would be a gimmick feature at first, but it is actually a very useful safety enhancing feature, almost never requiring you to take your eyes off the road. It is not cluttered or distracting, and shows speed, cruise control set point, alarms, and navigation. And YES, it can be turned off very easily with a button in the dash but I leave it on all the time because it is so useful and unobtrusive. And it displays clearly in pretty much all lighting conditions, and has a brightness control through iDrive as well (not that I have ever touched the midpoint setting).
  • your cars should be as smooth as silk at any speed. Have them do an alignment and balance all wheels - if that does not work have them start to replace wheels and tires...
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    All I can say "some people like talking about things they have no idea about". AS increases the steering ratio at lower speeds not the effort. The steering becomes much quicker not lighter. And please do not insult my 545 Sport with AS by comparing it to a Lexus.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I actually don't think that AS is even available in the 7. If you go to the website it isn't listed as standard or optional. Keep in mind that it was developed specifically for the E60. You can get it now as an option on the 3, 5 and 6 but I don't think you can get it on the 7. Also, how can you expect a 7 to handle and drive like an M5? It's significantly bigger and is not an "M". The two cars have completely different goals. The M5 is all about performance and the "wow" factor. The 750 and 760 are all about comfort and luxury with some sportiness thrown in for good measure. So basically I don't think you drove a 7 with AS, and it isn't really fair to compare it to the M5.
  • ecloudecloud Posts: 4
    I have a 530xi with HUD and love it. As others have commented, you can turn it off, but I never have. One point of information, if you wear polarazed sun glasses, you can not see the display. I had a 04 530i with Active Steering, and I really miss it. When I ordered my 530xi, I could not get the Active Steering.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Just got rear ended tonight by a Benz CLK. (I have a 2001 530.) Looks as if the bumper took all the impact and saved the body. I was stopped for a pedestrian on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica when the guy plowed into me. My bumper is cracked in many places and is pushed downward due to the slanted front of the Benz. The bright side in all this is that maybe the pedestrian's life was saved by my car getting hit. I am pretty sure this other guy would have plowed right through him. Hopefully I'll get my treasured 5 series back in shape asap.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,692
    Did anybody read the autoweek article a few weeks ago about that really old 5er. Pretty excellent car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Wow, there's a lot of that going around! Same thing happened to me last Tuesday, only the saving grace in my case is that I (and the car that hit me) had been stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, I couldn't go because a pedestrian had stepped off the curb into the crosswalk, but the driver behind me was a little more impatient than all that and she plowed right into me. The impact was pretty impressive, and I cringed thinking about what I was going to find back there. But...the bumper did quite a job. Obvious damage was minimal. OTOH, later that day my DSC and brake lights came on and stayed on, and while I was driving at highway speeds the car decided it wanted to brake...even though my foot was on the accelerator. Fortunately, it hasn't happened since, but I have told the insurance company that there is possible electrical damage as a result of the crash, and that I intend to get it checked out. Unfortunately, I'm now in a waiting game with them because the other party hasn't answered their call verifying the crash.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. The pedestrian surely owes his life to the bumper and the car's rigidity. Hope you get your bimmer back soon.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    My wife's E39 has been rear-ended FIVE times since 2002; each time she was stopped at a light or waiting in a line of stopped traffic(yes, her brake lights work). One moron was looking for a dropped cigarette-and he had no insurance, of course-while the most recent doofus was playing with his car radio. Yet another imbecile let his foot slip off the clutch. The only good thing is we have an excellent body shop, so the sled still looks and drives great-but I'd hate to see the Carfax report... :mad:
    but I'd hate to see the Carfax report...

You'd be surprised at what CarFax does not show.....
    Sorry to hear about your impact. I just got back from the body shop with an estimate of $1200. Glad you mentioned your electrical problem. I have noticed that since the accident the left rear door doesn't want to open up from the inside using the handle. It will open from the outside and the remote key will lock and unlock the button. Strange. I'll have the body shop check it out.
    Hope you get some action in your case soon. I don't know if the guy who hit me has reported it yet, but I did all I could from my end.
    Thanks, dabimmer. The part I really hate is having to drive anything other than my car.(as in rental) Nothing compares!
    And I thought I was unlucky with three rear ends! All mine have been at stops too. The first was in 2001 when a mother was reaching for her baby in the back seat. I had had the car about a month. The guy in the second hit was tired and let go of his brakes. Then this one. I ran a Carfax on my own car once and it showed the first 2 hits.
    I want to ask you a question. The body shop mentioned that my exhaust pipe was scratched with blue paint in some spots. The car that hit me was blue. He said it would be expensive to replace (What do I care if the other guy pays?) or he could repair the scratches. What would you recommend? Do I need to worry about rust if it is just a repair? Or should I think about replacing it? Am I looking for more trouble than it's worth by insisting on replacing it?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    One of the hits took out the muffler, but it was actually dented. As for your muffler, I doubt that the scratches will affect the longevity of the exhaust. Still, I'd want to make darn sure that nothing else in the exhaust system was damaged. My 1988 M6 took a light hit just before I bought it; the whole system from the headers back was tweaked. The final bill was north of $5000. The culprit's adjuster almost had a stroke... :P