Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    It still looks good as new. In my case the insurance company guaranteed the repairs for life, so it will be their problem if the fix ever does go wonky.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Yeah, definitely drive a car with active steering before you'd buy one..... Completely different steering feel than the typical BMW feel.
  • Great idea. I think I'll go in this week to try driving a car with one. In the brochure, it seems like all it is a super-duper power steering. Seems like that it would take some getting used to. I'd probably turn the wheel too much and make the car do a 180!

In regards to the air bags, anyone else have thoughts on whether or not they're truly needed? Is it a lot of trouble to get them deactivated in the future should I have kids?
  • I purchased a 530xi recently and will be carrying anywhere from one to three kids in the rear at any given time. I wanted the rear side airbags but the dealership said that BMW will ship the car with the side airbags DEactivated and that they will require me to sign a waiver if they activate them at at the dealership. I still wanted to get the airbags for activation in the future, so right now I have the rear side airbags but have not activated them yet while my kids are still too young for them.
    My opinion is: Put the kids in high quality strong child seats (I use the Britax Marathon and the Britax Bodyguard booster) and they should be fine with the rear side airbags deactivated.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    Just so anyone wondering about this knows, it is now possible (apparently) to get Bluetooth activated in all E60's regardless of the build date. It used to be that you had to spend about $2K to retrofit because you had to replace the TCU if your car was built before 9/2004 (or some said 3/2004), but now you can do it for $400 without replacing the TCU. Just FYI.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    it is more than just a super-duper power steering.

At slow speeds, a sharp turn may take only a quarter turn of the wheel. W/o active steering, you may turn a full cycle or more.

At high speeds, even less effort is required.

Having test driven some vehicles with the active steering, I really like it.

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I took the 530 and 545 for test drives when my 3 was in for some service. The 530 didn't have it and the 545 did. I really liked how it drove, but that is just me and I don't drive autocross or things like that.

I wish I could have a 545 in the garage, or an M5. :D

-Paul
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    The insurance co has decided to "make me whole" by replacing the wavy bumper with a new one. They will even pay for my rental. That made my day!
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    Congrats. Think of it this way: The insurance company paid the bodyshop to restore the car to factory condition and they didn't get what they paid for. If the bodyshop didn't correct the problem, it wouldn't be getting much future work from your insurance company.

Just my $.02.....JL
    Correction: Now that my car has actually been to the dealership to try to accomplish this, it can't be done without replacing the TCU on a pre-9/2004 production car. The $2K is certainly too much for me to justify spending just to have bluetooth.
  • cpanagcpanag Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    Opened-ended question, but I am new to the BMW market and looking at 02 or 03 540s. I know this is a price discussion, but first question is good call? I would look for a certified pre-owned. My preference is sport package, cold weather package, 17 or 18 in rims (02 or 03), black/black.
    Second question is indeed price. 02s with low to mid mileage are going for high 30s certified. 03s are in the low to mid 40s. Is this appropriate? Seems a bit high to me. Do you think there is a lot of wiggle room in this shopping arena?
    Thanks in advance. Any and all feedback is helpful, this site looks like a great forum for discussion.
  • When are the changes for the 5 series scheduled? For example the last generation changes were from 528 to 530 along with different wheel combinations and clear signal lights changes in the rear. :confuse:
    I assume you're asking about a facelift for theE60 because the 530 and 550 just got new engines for '06 models (I'm not sure if the 525 did though). I would guess that a facelift is at least a year away if not two.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    E60 facelift? You're talking my language. Get it on with Regis and Kelly as soon as possible. I say those headlamps are gone.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    The only thing needed to be changed in the E60 is having the clock automatically adjust for standard time/daylight savings time.
    The fact that it doesn't is the only detectable flaw in an almost perfect car inside and out.
  • tcoztcoz Posts: 16
    My dealer gave me a 525xi as a loaner while doing the most current software update on my 530xiT. For anyone considering the 525 vs the 530, I have to say the 40 HP difference feels much greater (even with the heavier wagon) and after driving both, I'd definitely pony up the extra dollars for the 530 if at all possible. On thing to keep in mind though, is that I drive somewhat aggressively and the "adaptive" nature of these cars may have an effect on how strong my 530 feels compared to a brand new (31 miles) 525.

Also, the Service Manager told me that these cars are all meant to be driven aggressively for best performance and he actually sees more problems with the ones that are babied (or thrashed).
  • hullhull Posts: 10
    The mid-cycle "face-lift" for the 5 series is supposed to be for the model year 2008. The changes are reported to be minor (similar to what the 7 series changes were this year).
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Great news, it's good to hear about "bad" things that turn out right. We were down in the southland around Lakewood and Long Beach for 10 days so hadn't had a chance to
    respond to your posts. Continued good luck with your 5er. I will post some more news
    in a week or so. :)
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Thanks. Now I just need to take it back to the shop. Maybe in a few days. I have family in Lakewood. Hope you enjoyed your stay. Long Beach has really gotten a new face lift in the last few years which makes it a nice place to visit. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Did you take the 5er?
  • Hello,
    Please does anyone know where i can find a user guide or manual for BMW 528IA 1997? Also for the radio guide.
    Also, does anyone know how to change the language from German to English?

Thanks in adavnce,
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    There are no good sources for BMW owner's documentation. BMW started putting the manuals online beginning with MY 2000. This is from the BMW Owner's Circle website:

"On-line Owners Manuals are currently available for vehicles of model year 2000 and greater only. If you would like to order an Owners' Manual for your vehicle, please contact your preferred BMW center:"

Other than BMW, eBay is a good place to look.

Good luck....JL
  • Right on, hpowders. I am in complete with this and your other posts appreciating the new 5 series.

As a first time BMW owner, I LOVE the way the headlights look. In the sea of nondescript copy-cat designs out there, the 5 stands out like a shining light. Now I am definitely getting carried away :-)!
    Thanks freddybb! A lot of hostile( read envious) posters out there! They are really after us!
    I was out there today on the interstate. What stability! What a great ride!
    Hairpin turns just effortless at 70!
    Even the flatbed truckers are getting out of my way! Must be the daytime running xenon head lights!
    Thankfully in Florida the speed limit is 70 but 85 is more like it.
    I passed someone at 99. Felt like I was hardly moving. What smooth power!
    Not the autobahn but better than NYC where I came from.
    Every time I go back there and rent a car, people are afraid to do 70 on the highways.
    That close monitoring has got to stop!

The other day my non car-person wife finally noticed the headlight shape after only 3 months. She said "wow it looks like a cat's eye."
    I said "YEAH BABY!

I wish I had the DST/ST setting in iDrive like your 2006 has. Mine is a 2005. At least iDrive makes it very easy to re-set the clock.
    Enjoy your E60. You and I both know we got the best. The others are merely pretenders.
    They can criticize, but you and I will be laughing all the way to the interstate!
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Why not bring your E60 to a CCA drivers school? It's almost as much fun as driving 99 mph in a straight line.
  • So all of a sudden you're looking at the prospect of spending the winter (a good 4 or 5 months, starting probably after the new year) in beautiful, sunny, downtown Rochester, instead of where you belong (Maryland). Which do you choose?

Door #1: Take the 02 530i 5spd spt (60K miles, extended warranty) with its A/S tires and hope for the best.

Door #2: Put snow tires on the 530. (wincing at the expense)

Door #3: Leave the bimmer home and take the 92 ES 300 5 spd with 80K miles (no warranty) and A/S (it's better in light snow than the bimmer with A/S tires; haven't ever driven it in heavy snow).

I'm not kidding about this; I might really have to do it. The only part that's a lie is the beautiful, sunny, downtown part. The rest of it is all too true.
    Thanks. That sounds like fun. I will keep that in mind.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    E-Mail me with your E-Mail address, I have a few things that I can send you that might help make your mind up. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    No matter which car you take, I'd put winter tires on it..

Rochester? Heavy, heavy snow... Go for the most aggressive winter tires you can get.. Q-rated..

And, if it were me, I'd take the old Lexus.. (winter tires should be cheaper for that one, as well).

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,602
    What he said. RWD Bimmers work fine in snow if they are properly tired but if you have the choice take the Lexus. I'd put snows on that too, Lake-effect snow is not to be trifled with.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC