Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• It seems that most of the 530i's are gone from California. The few that are left the dealers are trying to sell a few thousand above invoice. Is it similar elsewhere? If not, how difficult is it to try to buy out of state? It sounds like others are able found more on the east coast and below invoice.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    As the end of my CPO warranty got nearer and nearer (2/04), I kept getting more nervous about owning a '98 540i6 with 80,000 miles. The last 26,000 miles have been a blast, but my thoughts kept turning to what might go wrong. So after looking around at some alternatives, I took the plunge and sold her. I didn't want to try and trade her in during winter. She rides on summer-only tires. Midwest dealers aren't looking for these type cars in winter. (I won't miss the black exterior but I will miss what a great car she was to drive. 155 mph top speed, great mid-range acceleration, and 26 mpg doing highway cruising.)

I really would like to have gotten another CPO 540i6, say a '00 or '01, but there just haven't been any in my geographic area for past 6 months. Closest my local BMW dealer came was a '99 540i6, but it was an early build unit that would go out of CPO coverage in 12/04 and the original 4/50 had expired due to time, not mileage. (My local BMW dealer won't provide loaner cars unless you buy from him and I live 36 miles away. I hated sitting around while having work done.)

So today I traded her in on a brand new 2004 Lexus IS300 manual (with LSD). Built 8/04. I had been looking for an '03 but this one just came in the truck yesterday. Similar 330i would be about $6,000 more expensive. Even a similarly equipped 325i would be about $2,000 more expensive. Since I drive about 20K annually, I really liked the fact I can buy a 7yr/100K not-quite-b-to-b warranty extension thru Lexus at time of purchase and finance it with purchase (and count it toward tax depreciation).
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    I might be purchasing/leasing a 530iA PP,SP,etc... There was mention of a website where you could purchase the pricing info on the 530 that went into greater detail than the usual website.

Also, i'm trading my Saab in. Is there any advice on making this transaction?

Pros and cons on purchasing or leasing? Does BMW offer a 72 mo. purchase? Interest rates any good?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,210
    fan of traditional performance sedans goes Asian.

Good luck, Riez.

I'd probably go with the G35 if my car were totalled tomorrow, since it's no longer made with the manual. The IS300 appeared to me to be too much of a boy-racer thing, but I'm not meaning to throw mud. Different strokes, and all that.

I quit following the IS board a couple of years ago, but I may have to re-suscribe. Riez is as interesting as Shipo is kind & polite.

Speaking of which, where's Shipo been?
    cdnpinhead... I wanted an affordable RWD, 3.0L or bigger, I6, IRS, 5/6M, and LSD. That really narrows the field. Optioned 530i or 330i pretty pricey. Only M3 and M5 have LSD. IS300 has a ton of standard equipment (e.g., Xenon HID). Plus cheap long-term financing on new '04s. And a dealer who wouldn't low-ball every trade. My local BMW dealer is a pain to negotiate with. Think I've seriously tried to buy a car from him at least 5 times since 1996. Always get hung up on the trade in. He is king of the low ballers. I've never been able to buy from him. Last time I even kidded the salesperson about it after we failed, yet again. (Too bad, I would've liked a 3 Series coupe.)
  • Trade in's are not worth the hassle with Dealer's. Keep the deal seperate, right? Sell the car on your own. I have sold 4 cars this way and have been successful all 4 times. No question it is a pain at times, but it enables you to brush up on your marketing, social and economic skills and what a thrill once the deal is made! (which is completed when the check clears!).
    billbrox... I do it for three reasons. Taxes--I don't pay tax on the trade-in portion. That saves me hundreds of dollars (over $1,000 a piece on each of my recent two trades). In my state, seller pays the tax on car. Time--I can get the money today, rather than later, and I don't have to invest any time with ads, prospective buyers, etc. Treasure--Banks often seem hesitant to lend in 3rd party cases. I've had 3rd party sales attempts fall thru because the person couldn't get financing to buy my car. For my '98 540i6, not sure any of my local banks would lend someone $20,000 plus on a 6-yr car with 80,000 miles.

Wonder if the average BMW dealer low balls trades more than other marques. No firm evidence but my local BMW is notorious for offering the least amount possible on trades. Too bad, or else I might have had a half a dozen BMWs over the past 8 years or so. And I might be driving at least one today.
  • Can certainly understand your frustration with BMW dealers. The IS 300 is a great car probably just what you need for the many miles you travel each year. Many happy smiles and miles with it. I understood your post but can not fathom just what is IRS? Independent rear suspension? Eh? Are you going to continue to post here from time to time or will we lose you just like we did
    Snagiel and Shipo and others? Hope not. Your contributions are well received.Thanks.
  • Getting my 525i rear passenger windows and rear winshield tinted.

Getting it tinted froma company called Realtint.com based in San Jose, CA.
    Any experience wuth this guy?

Also any downfall in getting windows tinted as far as radio reception etc?
  • >>Wonder if the average BMW dealer low balls trades more than other marques. No firm evidence but my local BMW is notorious for offering the least amount possible on trades. Too bad, or else I might have had a half a dozen BMWs over the past 8 years or so. And I might be driving at least one today.

Not my experience. Dealer gave me a fair price right off the bat.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Congrats on your new car. Ditto dabimmer's comments about you continuing to post here. I was just curious if you had looked into the certified program that Lexus offers before you bought, since that seemed to be a big topic for you.
    I plan to keep up on the board. I'd love to get a CPO '03 M5 in 2005. Or maybe a CPO '03 540i6 in 2005. Just won't be black exterior! Or maybe even a 1 Series in 2005. I'm still a BMW CCA member and I plan on keeping my subscription to Bimmer magazine, so I plan on remaining knowledgeable about BMWs.

cmr530i... Looked into Lexus CPO program. I was only interested in '02 or '03 IS300 (due to side curtain airbags and some other additions in '02). Couldn't find any '02 or '03 CPO IS300 manuals. If I had, I would've seriously considered. But since I was trading down (I had equity in my trade) and since I could get good financing (3.65 for 60 months on an '04) and since the MSRP for the IS300 is not too steep (mine was only $32,900 even though it is well equipped--full leather, sunroof, LSD, spoiler, & heated seats) and since Lexus dealers were willing to negotiate $2-3K off MSRP, I could get a whole lot of car for not too much money! I could afford to buy new, no problem. Heck, I even sprang for the 7/100 $0 deductible Lexus warranty extension. (Too bad Lexus has such limited free maintenance. Only 1st oil change. Can't have everything!)
  • I COMPLETELY understand your division, Riez. I live in your town and the last 3 BMW's I purchased were NOT from the local dealer. Like you, I tried and tried, but couldn't bend over quite that far.I also own a 99 540 and I am a bit nervous about the same things you spoke about. I absolutely loath the necessary trips to our BMW dealer and since I didn't buy my cars there I have to either arrange a ride home, or bring a good book. You purchase a $40-50K car and are treated like a Kia driver! (Hell, I think they even get loaners!)As I told Mr. Markel when he made the mistake of asking me how I was doing sitting around at his dealership one fine day,"I won't be buying my next car here, and unfortunately I will be forced to buy some other make where I can get appropriate treatment."
    Sorry to say so much, but you really struck a nerve with me. I believe certain BMW dealers are arrogant. They think their product is so good, they don't have to give Lexus type service. I believe they are wrong and I believe Riez is proof of that. Riez, you purchased a fine automobile that will certainly be more reliable than anything BMW manufactures. I also believe it will be a hoot to drive.I hope you enjoy your new ride; I believe in our town you made a very good decision! Like the others, I encourage you to stay in touch.(By the way, what is LSD? Not something from my college days, I assume!)
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Tlmmhowell, in addition to being something from your college days LSD is Limited Slip Differential, or AWD/2.

BMW ownership is a trade-off whether you live in LA or Anchorage. Lucky is the person who has nothing to moan about with a bimmer although not everyone is forthcoming about it.

Riez, no one can argue a practical Toyota/Honda purchase. The reliability and economics of these cars speak for itself. Good luck with your new ride. However, I'm wondering if you will admit to synergy withdrawal when it happens... whoa, my apologies... you already did in the first paragraph of your last post. Says here you'll have that M5 sooner than you think. There's no turnin' back and I think you know it. ;-)
  • So I became intoxicated with the '03 530i and loaded it up with; PP, SP, CWP, Xenon, Sound, BUT.....I am a bit remorseful about deciding on tan interior with Toledo Blue Metallic exterior (it's a more "classic" look as my friends say), I kind of prefer the gray interior over the tan interior (I just saw one in the parking lot). Your thoughts....PLEASE.
    tlmmhowell... Sorry I struck so close to home. I concur with everything you said. Not all BMW dealerships are as "bad" as ours. The one in Des Moines, Iowa, was pleasant to deal with when I bought my wife's CPO 323ia, so was the one in Appleton, Wisconsin, where I bought my CPO 540i6. Guess there are alwasy some less than best apples in every bunch?

I've never met the higher ups at our local BMW dealership. When I have to wait, I walk over to the co-joined Ford dealership and wait there. They have a bigger, dedicated waiting room. I try to blend in over there. Head down, be quiet, read a magazine (I bring a stack with me to keep busy). I don't feel so out of place hanging around with them as opposed to being forced to hang out in the BMW side because I can't get a loaner. (You should see the Omaha & Des Moines Lexus dealerships. They are palatial. Wonderful waiting areas. I can't wait to wait there for my free loaner.)

designman... There is only one E39 M5. The best 4-door sedan ever built. Too bad I can't afford one new! Not sure I'll like the E60 M5 when it finally arrives. Too gadgety.
  • I have 2 E-39's, one gray and one tan. The gray is fantastic and far superior in my opinion.
  • Thanks for the response TIm........"I was afraid you were going to say that"......I think you are right though.... the gray is the way.
    -Billbrox
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    "There is only one E39 M5. The best 4-door sedan ever built."

Amen.
  • Color can be so personal,so it is understandable if you convince yourself the grass is greener with a different combo. Don't beat youself up over this. Toledo/Tan,Ox Green/Tan are nice and yes.,"classic" at least as much as one could call color combos classic.... My 2 Cents = You have a nice car,nicely equipped. Enjoy it or ,if you can't get past the tan, plan to trade it. Only you can decide.