Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,801
    They go strictly by inspection... or the wear indicator that lights up on your dash...

When they did the 30K inspection on my 3-series, they observed that the pads were below spec, and replaced the front brakes..

I don't think there is any "schedule" for replacement of the brakes.. just as needed..

You might mention that you hear a "grinding noise" from the brakes.... to at least make sure that they inspect them... as your next service visit is just for the oil change/inspection...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    I went to 65,000 miles on my 99 528.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I have a 2001 530i. I had to replace my front brakes/rotors @48K miles. The rear brakes still have life in them.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Is at least one brake job assumed under this program or is BMW telling owners the first brake job does not usually occur until after 50,000 miles? thx.

Brakes are one of those things that vary greatly from person to person. I have heard of people that need to change pads every 20k miles (they live in the mountains, so they're probably pretty hard on their brakes). Personally, I've gone 50k-60k before changing brakes.

BMW's new cars now have brake monitors in their computer system, and they estimate your mileage 'til replacement. I have no idea if they are accurate or not, but it's there.
  • Thanks for the responses. BMW continually advertises the free maintenance program as a savings of thousands of dollars compared to the competition. If there is no brake job (or clutch) done during that period, doesn't the "maintenance" just boil down to three oil changes and filters? I do not get where their figures come from.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Brakes are part of the maintenance program IF they wear out during the maintenance period. As for clutches, if a clutch fails during that period, it was either abused (not covered) or faulty. Other than on my 1970 Dodge Challenger, I've never had a clutch fail with less than 100,000 miles on it, and no company in the world should be dumb enough to cover a clutch with 100,000 miles on it.

As for what else is covered, Inspection I is covered at 30,000 miles, and that service is fairly expensive. Also, the brake system on BMWs should be flushed with new brake fluid every two years, and that too is covered. All in all, the "free maintenance" is worth at the very least $1,200 to $1,500.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • The 5 series is a great car.

What I have a problem with is that the safety test ratings with the IIHS are only "Adequate" in some cases (although "Good" in others). (And that's only with the Comfort Seats with Active Headrests, in the front).

Why can't a car costing twice as much as a Ford Five Hundred and more than an equivalently equipped Audi A6 meet the same (or better?!) safety margins? (Five Hundred = Gold; Audi = Silver, awards...).
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Do what I did-buy a new 5er AND a Five Hundred. When I plan to ram a fixed object or become involved in a head-on crash, I take the Ford. The rest of the time I drive the BMW. Simple.
    Why can't a car costing twice as much as a Ford Five Hundred and more than an equivalently equipped Audi A6 meet the same (or better?!) safety margins?

How about a Ferrari that costs 5x-6x as much as a Ford Five Hundred? Using that theory, the Ferrari ought to be as safe as a Sherman tank!
  • hullhull Posts: 10
    Well I recently bought a 525i manual without sports package. Options included comfort seats, halogen lights, park distance control, and winter package. I am happy with all the packages and really love the car after 3 months. However, my I do regret a little bit that I didn't opt for the 530i. While the 525i has plenty of power, the car just feels so solid that it begs for more.

I tend to agree to with other posts, the 530i engines' torque is what probably makes the most difference.

I don't agree with the assertion that the 525i engine is loud. To me it runs very smooth.
  • I'm not saying there should be a porportionate (increasing) level of safety based on price, simply that perhaps a car that is (significantly) more expensive should perhaps meet the same (or yes, even better) safety margins of a less expensive car. Paying for additional features and a "name brand" (and better quality, performance, etc.) is great, but shouldn't safety be another factor that one gets when paying alot more for a more expensive car?? The more expensive brands always talk about safety along with everything else, but apparently they aren't delivering on that front as well as less expensive cars that are.
    Right, I understood your point. I shouldn't have even mentioned safety "multiples." My point was that very expensive cars are not necessarily safer than cheap cars. Some brands may mention safety, but it is not necessarily the primary focus among premier marques. Even some of the most expensive cars ($100k+) are less safe than some cars that cost $15k.

Would you feel safer in a 5-Star Honda Civic or a Lamborghini Gallardo?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Would you feel safer in a 5-Star Honda Civic or a Lamborghini Gallardo?

I'd feel much safer in the Lambo, as I'm sure that I would die of boredom if I was forced to drive a Civic.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    div2, you crack me up! :shades:
    I'd feel much safer in the Lambo, as I'm sure that I would die of boredom if I was forced to drive a Civic.

Lol! :P
    I just got an email from a BMW dealer (who continues to send me spam!) about a program just announced by BMW....

All 2003 5-Series CPO cars not only will have the 2.9% interest rate, but BMWFS will also make your first two payments. I haven't talked to anyone, so I don't know the details; if that means you don't have to make a payment for 3 months, or if you just have two fewer months on the loan.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone looking at a CPO E39... :)
  • I got a BMW Motorcycle several years ago and BMW made the first 5 payments. I'm sure this is the same type of program, they will make the first 2 payments of 36, 48 or whatever. There may be a minimum or maximum number of payments required and there may be a rebate option instead of 2 payments.
  • aam1aam1 Posts: 26
    Dear Forum Members:

I have a 2002 E39. I recently noticed that the coutesy lights/lamps in both the passenger and driver footwells are not working. Just wanted to find out how I can locate and replace the burnt out bulbs. Any and all help is appreciated. The lights/lamps at the bottom of the doors are still working.
    I think I posted this in another forum, as well. If you lights just suddenly stopped working, I would check the fuses first before I tried to replace any bulbs....
  • Is there NOT a dealer close by?
    There are several dealers nearby but I don't want to pay them labor at $125/hour if I don't have to.

As to checking the fuses, these two lights are the only ones out. All the rest are working as are other electronic functions.
  • I understand completely -- if, however, it gets hairy, you may find the dealer is less money overall.

$125 an hour?

Whew! All the techs have MBA's or what!?!
    That is the rate my Rockland County, NY dealer charged me the last time I had my car in for out-of-warranty repairs.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I lease 'em and won't buy 'em.
    I've seen as low as $80/hr and as high as $120/hr for BMW service....

No, they don't have MBAs, but FWIW they have some pretty serious school and training for BMW techs. They don't just hire kids out of the local vo-tech....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,801
    Yeah! They go to school in Cleveland!!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I just CPO'ed my 2003 e39SP in January and got 3.9% along with a new set of Dunlop SP Sport2000's. My Pirelli PZero Nero's "seemed" to have plenty of tread depth at 12K miles on them, but what can I say? Also received a full detail and service - the car is better than new! Fabulous car in every way...
  • Hello,

I also have an '06 525xi that I took delivery in Nov '05.I seem to be having a similar problem.The care vibrates(although subtle) especially over 65 mph. I noticed it when I first got the car and since then have been to the dealership no less than 8 times. They have balnced it (twice)rotated the tires (twice), Changed a tire (once) and yet I still have the problem. They Brought their head tech( a german dude)who did not think there was a problem and said that the problem is with the bad american roads !

Its good to know that I may not be imagining this problem after all.

Nav
  • Have you had high-speed on-car balancing performed? Ties tires/wheels to suspension. Maybe tires out of round. This should help to determnine source of problem.
  • "Have you had high-speed on-car balancing performed? Ties tires/wheels to suspension. Maybe tires out of round. This should help to determnine source of problem."

Good input. In cases where balancing does NOT do the trick, there is a good possibility that the wheel and/or tire is out-of-round. Easy to tell if that's the case by jacking the car up and spinning the wheel/tire. Use a fixed position pointer that has a small gap between the pointer and the tire. Look for a gap variation as the wheel/tire is spun.