Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• hullhull Posts: 10
    The 5 series was redesigned in 2004. The old 5-series (which would include the 528 you speak of) was not much roomier than a new 3-series (redesigned in 2006).

My '06 525i is very roomy with significant headroom, legroom, and shoulder room in the front, and acceptable in the back. The newer 3 series and the old 5 series are not too cramped, but not quite as roomy. The old 3 series feels cramped to me.
  • dmmakoskidmmakoski Posts: 72
    But apples to apples say, 1998 328 vs. 528, 528 offering more room for driver and front passenger?
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    The 1998 528 (E39) has more interior room than the 328 (E36). I owned a 1993 325i (E36) and replaced it with a 2003 530i (E39).

Hope this helps...JL
  • flbmwflbmw Posts: 6
    If you can provide me with the last 7 digits of the VIN, I'll look it up for you. That should be two letters followed by 5 numbers.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I'm 6'2". All legs.
    Definitely more legroom in my 2005 545 than in my 2002 325-not a lot-maybe 2 inches but it helps. Still far from ideal.
    The only BMW that totally satisfied my legroom requirements was the X5 which I had the pleasure of driving about 6 months ago.
    Also try to get the comfort seats. Much better than the standard seats.
  • jabroltajabrolta Posts: 32
    I have a 2005 545i. I went to the dealer to have a software upgrade and my day time running lights are not working. Is there a option in the iDrive to turn it back on or do I have back to the dearlership? Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    That is something the dealer needs to set, usually at time of delivery.

Are the DRL's not working and they used to? Or are you just wanting to turn them on?

-Paul
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Most people seem to want to turn the DRL's off.
    The DRL were on prior to the CIP update. VOB BMW service department are idiots!!!! They never seem to get anything right!!!!
    Then you hopefully won't get charged.

-Paul
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    The Bentley I refer to is a repair manual.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    The Bentley I refer to is a repair manual.

To elaborate, here's a link to the Bentley he's referring to: Bentley Publishers
  • jbf5jbf5 Posts: 32
    Has anyone had experience (good or bad) shipping your 5 series cross country?

I'm moving from Maryland to California, and the relocation people want to ship my 03 530i on an open truck.

Is there a better way?
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    Have you considered driving the car yourself? If you can't, I would insist on an enclosed transporter. My brother moved from NYC to SF and the moving company put his E36 in the same trailer as his belongings. If the relocation folks can't/won't provide an enclosed transporter, try to get the money they are being paid and find your own transporter. You might have to cover any price difference, but you'll have peace of mind. Do a Google search to find a transport service in your area.

Good luck...JL
    I shipped a jeep from Cali to Alabama. It was on an open trailer, but I insisted (due to the soft top) that it be placed on top.

When it got here, it was just fine, albeit a little dirty. Other than that, it was completely fine.

If you can swing it, enclosed would be the way to go, but open isn't so bad if you can keep it on top.

-Paul
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,108
    Ms. Shore would roll in her grave, but:

"See the YOU ESS A, in your Bimmer-a" -- woo woo!

Driving across America would be (or could be) fun if you had the time to make it a bit of a sightseeing trip.

All those times I've flown over the US, I have wondered "what would it be like" to actually see the country at ground level.

Otherswise get it shipped covered and insured out the wazoo, where-ever the wazoo is!
  • jbf5jbf5 Posts: 32
    Thanks all. I'd love to drive, but I can't take the time from my new job.

This company looks promising: http://www.intercitylines.com/

The trucks are enclosed and the bays are level and shock-absorbed.

Has anyone used them?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This discussion might be helpful: Car Transport Companies.
    Is there any topic that doesn't have its own dedicated forum? :P
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    LOL! You know, maybe not. We certainly do have tons of information on all things automotive. :)
    Does anyone know if the HD radio (2007 option) can be retrofitted into any e60 models? I have a 2005 545i and I would like to have HD radio in my car. Thanks.
  • smooth50smooth50 Posts: 4
    I searched on Ebay and found the The Bentley Manual on CD for $9. The book cost around $90. Thank you for the tip...
    Glad I could help. Good luck playing with your baby! :shades:
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,108
    You must live where there is ample HD content.

I went through the AM Stereo phase some time back.

I am now convinced that Sat Radio (my wife and I both have Sirius in our cars and XM at home) beats FM and for "local" talk and stuff, plain ol AM mono is fine.

If you ripped out my AM and FM, but not my Sirius, I would probably go for a long time without missing them.

HD radio seems to be "better fidelity" radio -- but the programming and content limitation continue and the range is hardly universal as it is with Sirius and XM.

Anyway, like so many other things, you can probably (eventually if not immediately) get an adaptor for your car, but one of two things will happen: it will be way way way too expensive or it will be frequency limited due to circumstances and economic incentives to the producer of the hardware.

Even the aftermarket Sat Radio is both Frequency Response and Dynamic Range limited (which is pretty much the story for Sat Radio overall, with several exceptions.)

Try Googling or DogPiling and see what you see.

Good luck.
    I'm thinking of getting Sat radio, but not sure since I am getting the iPod retrofit in my car this summer. I am going to ask my dealership if they can retrofit the HD radio. I do not want to buy aftermarket parts if I can get it with BMW and have a seamless integration. Thanks for the info.
  • jo2jo2 Posts: 41
    I have a 2006 530i and I recently had the ipod jack put in but was told that the retrofit would not work since my car had navigation. As a result I have a direct jack into the speakers but cannot control the ipod on my steering wheel.

Also I had Sirius radio put in and love it. However, I have to say that since I have sirius I NEVER use my ipod in the car. I think they cancel each other out, except for times when you absolutely need to listen to something you put on your IPOD.

Sirius is fantastic... whatever kind of music or talk I'm in the mood for its there. I have not listened to either AM,FM, or the IPOD, since I got the installation.

That being said it was freaking pricey... around 1100 for both the IPod jack and the Sirius radio, I hear the price is different wherever you go so you might be able to get a better deal at different dealerships. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with any extra antenna's or wires and the signal is crystal clear.

Hope that helps...
    Thanks for the info. My car has to be serviced next week. I will ask the SA about the iPod retrofit. My car has NAV and it would be pointless if I could not control the iPod via the steering wheel or iDrive. However, I found some information on the BMW web site that shows how the iPod integration works. The car has a NAV system. Check it out (iPod). Maybe your dealership might have provided you wrong information. Nevertheless, I will report back when I talk to my SA next week if the iPod integration is possible for cars that have Nav.
  • monacobmwmonacobmw Posts: 8
    I apologize if this question was addressed in earlier messages. I ordered a 530i without sports package in early April (at the time, I wanted a smoother ride coming from a Mercedes). It is arriving next week.
    I think that the 17" base wheels (5 star) on the 530i are not that attractive.
    Does anyone know where I can go to find some good replacement wheels? I saw a place that had 17 x 8 BMW wheels that looked like the sport package version (I think that the wheels were for an older 3 series), but the 530i is 17 x 7.5. I don't want to have to pay for new tires.
    Does anyone have any ideas here?
    Best regards,
    R
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Posts: 163
    I was in the same situation as you. I decided to get the SP because for $2550, it is a pretty good deal since you get the bigger tires and the 20-way seats. As for the ride, it is quite comfortable and was not as rough of a ride as I thought. I think I made a great decision. As for you circumstance, I would try ebay or craigslist and get some used 18's and some will have both tires and rims combination. The BMW's stock 17's are simply undersized for the wheelwells and the size of the vehicle. good luck.
    BTW, mine 07 530 will be here in 6 weeks with SP, PP, Nav, Rear sun shades, park distance control, Auto. Can't wait!
  • jcd14jcd14 Posts: 7
    I'm interested in buying a used BMW 5 series and I am wondering what years and models have been the most reliable? Are there models/years to stay away from? I'm thinking of the 525 2000 year model as a starting point. 2002 and older please.

Opinions greatly appreciated.