Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Try reading some of the recent messages in the discussion at this link: BMW 5-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience. They should be helpful and that's a great place to ask.

Welcome! Feel free to drop me an email if I can help you find your way around.
  • Can anyone tell me when the navigation and the head up display will be available on the new 5 series? any help is much appreciated.....thanks in advance
  • I was told that they would be available in March.
  • dv8eddv8ed Posts: 17
    I would like to have the Bluetooth option on my new 5 series. What does it take to get it installed? The next cell phone I purchase will be a bluetooth capable phone. Any help is appreciated.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    If you are willing to go the European Delivery route, you should be able to get $1,200 - $1,500 over the ED invoice on the new 5-series. That works out to about $6,000 under MSRP, not including your travel expenses.

A friend of mine here in DC is doing just that. He was planning to pick up the car in January, but is now considering postponing to April (spring break) so he can take his kids and wife on the trip and also get the nav system.

Going the ED route makes even more sense with a "hot" car that dealers are unwilling to discount for US delivery. My dealer readily admits that he will discount an ED 2004 530i to $1,200 over invoice, but the best he could do for US delivery is $500-$1,000 under MSRP. That is a whopping difference of over $5,000, n/i trip expenses. The ED cars do NOT come out of his precious US allocation, but DO count towards their sales volume/bonuses. That's the best of both worlds for a BMW dealer, hence the willingness to discount.
  • I am in DC also, what dealer did your friend go to???
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    Are you talking E39 or E60? I have BT installed in my 2003 530i.

Regards....JL
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    if your car is not bought yet, get it installed before delivery, because the expense of getting a bluetooth set up is much more than the 1000 odd bucks BMW is charging. I have been using BT technology phones and PDA and various other things such as wireless handsfree devices for over a year now and they rock. However, its ridiculous what it costs to make my wife's bmw convertible bluetooth ready... 1000 bucks? the damn sony phone was not worth 200 bucks last year when the technology was blazing new in the market... anyway, it is cool and i think the BT used in the Acura TL is better.

ksso
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    It is also available on the 02/03 530 in a "kit". I need to find the article in Roundel from a few months ago - think it was about $600-750.00.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    My friend lives in PA (Erie) and is going through the local dealer up there, who we know well.

Here in the DC area, according to others, Passport will go to $1,200-$1,500 over ED invoice. I would likely go with VOB or Tischer if they could match that deal, as they are closer to me. I also stopped in Arlington BMW last week to look at the new 5-series and they indicated they would ddiscount ED, but we didn't get into specifics. I'll know a lot more when I actually get ready to buy, but that may not be until next spring and I am not yet sold on the new 5.

Many BMW dealers will not volunteer that ED prices are negotiable. But once they know that you know they are, the pencil comes out.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    I've installed the BMW Bluetooth phone kit is my 2003 530i and these are the facts:
    1. Available for E39, E46 & X5 with build date of 3/02 or newer.
    2. ALL kits are installed at the dealer so prices are the same for kits installed before or after delivery.
    3. List price for the kit is $608. I paid $488.00 plus UPS shipping. There are additional brackets required for pre MY2003 cars.

This is a DIY install and it is recommended you have the dealer program the OBC, but my system worked without having to do it.

Check Circle BMW's BT page for more info:
    http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/blue/blue.htm

You will need a BT phone and only GSM service is offered on BT phones. GSM service is up and coming, but DOES NOT have the same coverage as TDMA or CDMA service, so do your homework when you are considering BMW BT.

BTW, BT will not be avaibale in the new E60 until December, 2004!

Hope this helps...JL
  • I saw the new 5 it looks much much better in person then it does in pictures. I have a 528 and I like the old styling alot but the new styling is great its just new.

Check out the Z18 prototype on www.bmwinfo.com its awsome.
  • magoffimagoffi Posts: 10
    Hello Folks,
    I just came from the BMW dealership this afternoon. And i lease the 04 530i including the premium package, sport package, xenon lights which the total came up to $52,770. since this is my first time leasing maybe someone can help out be letting me know if i got a nice deal or not. first of all the guys at the dealership told me that the new 5 series only a few production have the sport package they are not making them anymore. if that's true please let me know. the deal a got on the 530 was $51,270 he knock down $1500.00 of the MSRP. Now i wanted to keep my payment a bit low so i put down $5000.00 after he added up all the other fees the final out of pocket was $6830.00 and my monthly payment is $531.00 a month. Now i normaly buy my cars when i purchase them, my last 2 and put down a great substantial amount on it when buying. Like i said before this is my first time leasing please le me know if i'm paying too much a month and did i put down too much any info will be appreciated thanks.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    but the cow's out of the barn already.
  • 530bmw530bmw Posts: 130
    I was offered to extend my warranty to 6-yr/100k miles for $1000 by the dealer. To me, it is $500/year beyond the base warranty 4-yr/50k miles that comes with car. Is this reasonable compared to the price offered on the internet from a decent non-BMW outfit?

More importantly, should I consider extend my warranty at all?
  • magoffimagoffi Posts: 10
    you think it's way too much.
  • I noted the numbers above on how the 5's are selling. Any numbers on how the new 5's by themselves are selling in the US? I ask because I was looking through the New York Times Car Buyers section this morning. Each Sunday Times ad page is $50K, I think, to buy (maybe a lot more). Very expensive ad space, and I'd assume dealers think carefully about what they feature.

In the ads for the BMW dealers, there were no photos for the E60, and no ad space on the E60 --with exception of one small item on a "2004 525" that used a picture of an E39 (!). All others were well represented with photos, deals, prices etc.

Point: Seems an odd decision to not give prominent space to the newest car in the line. Even if sales were good, I'd think the dealers would give prominent space as a traffic "draw" into the dealers from a new hot car. Anyone with any facts on sales volumes? Is the car being discounted more than usual?

Thanks--
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    I have no opinion on the transaction. My point is that it's a bit late in the game to be seeking opinions when you've already inked the deal.
  • hkurtehkurte Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 2003 BMW 525 in August 2003. Today I was looking for the first aid kit under the right front seat and it wasn't there. My question is for anybody who purchased the same car has a first aid kit?
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    magoffi... No way any of us could comment on your lease. It is a complex transaction. You didn't provide any details. For example, how long is the lease term? 2 yrs? 3 3? 4? What is the annual mileage restriction? And what does it cost you to go over that?

I'm not a fan of leasing. Always hard to tell if you got a good deal. Best are when manufacturer is heavily subsidizing the lease. Doubt BMW is doing that right away with new E60.

Seems like you put a huge amount down. $5K plus another $1.8K in fees. One reason to lease is to avoid having to put a lot of money up front into a depreciating asset. If you divide the up front costs by the number of months for the term, what is the monthly allocated cost of these fees?

Did you put down mulitple security deposits? That can save some money, but heard BMW FS was cutting back on that.

Not sure what the dealer told you about the Sport Pkg. BMW is making E60 5 Series with Sport Pkg.