Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• dkatldkatl Posts: 3
    Thanks so much, div2, for the helpful information!
  • jprudejprude Posts: 1
    I have been car shopping for the last month. I was looking at 1997-98 BMW 328i's and I finaly looked at a 99-00 BMW 528i. The 528i I am interested in is completely clean on the inside, no damage. The exterior has 1 minor dent and small scratches on the front bumper and back bumper. I test drove the car twice for about 30 min over 2 days. City driving and Highway driving. Everything is great. The carfax is even clean, having only two owners, with the first owner having it for 4 years, and the second owner for only 2 1/2 years. The only thing that is holding me back is the 97000 miles. I would like to know, basically if the BMW's hold up into their 90-100,000 mile range. I really like the car but want to make smart decision. The price of the car is 11,500 is this car worth the price due to minor exterior damage and high mileage.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I would like to know, basically if the BMW's hold up into their 90-100,000 mile range

If you'll search for several of my recent posts in this topic you'll learn of my experience running a 1997 528iA out to 130K. In the 100K to 120K mileage range you'll probably be looking at front struts($600-$900) as well as a water pump$250-$500). If the car is an automatic the ATF needs to be changed at 100K miles.

The price of the car is 11,500 is this car worth the price due to minor exterior damage and high mileage.

Possibly, but you really need to have the car checked over by a good BMW tech. I'd also want to see the service history. How often was the oil changed, and what oil was used? Was the coolant changed every three years, using only BMW coolant? How about the brake fluid? Was it flushed every two years with DOT4 fluid? If the car checks out I'd offer $9000 and see what happens.
    My Dad has an '04 X5 3.0iA SP with a little over 56,000 miles on it. It has been the absolute pinnacle of reliability. He drives 20K a year on his lease and wanted to be covered for the duration of his 42 month lease. Once he has his Inspection II done and another set of brakes, the extended maintenance will have paid for itself.

So I take it he still likes the truck? I'm asking because I found a clean '01 3.0 manual with Sport Package. I think I can grab it cheap due to the manual. Time will tell... ;)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,995
    Yeah! He's very happy with it. Driving the X5 helped him push my Mom to get an E60. The only thing that would prevent him from getting another X5 would be i-Drive. He gets 21 mpg doing 85% highway driving. He LOVES the support of the SPort Seats.

Definitely take a nice ride in it. Was '01 the first year of the X5 (no it was '00)? I remember hearing they had a lot of early teething problems. Steering is pretty tight for a truck. It definitely feels heavy when you drive it (especially compared to my Prelude). I know the '01 would have DSC-X as its AWD system while my Dad's has X-Drive. You might get a little worse gas mileage with the '01.

He had the oil changed at 18K, 36K, & 50K. He had a front right caliper sieze on him just before 50K. DEealer swaped out front pads & rotors for new ones.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Thanks! I've spent quite a bit of seat time in a 4.4 and a 4.6is, but I've never driven a 3.0. I'm going to try to grab it for under $18K. ;)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,995
    The 3.0i definitely isn't a rocket and I'm sure the X5 is much better motivated with 2 extra cylinders. The bigger wheels (skinny 18" 5 spokes on the '01s) coupled with the lowered height, shadowline trim, chrome exhaust tips, black headliner, & of course sport seats make for a nice looking truck.

How many miles are on the X5 you're looking at?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

How many miles are on the X5 you're looking at?

It has 61,500. I started out looking for a RWD E36/E46, but the price on the 3.0 is pretty good and it has the rare(for an X5, anyway) manual gearbox.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    What is the going rate for these programs (6yr 100K miles)?

5 Series (525i)

Thanks
  • brodskybrodsky Posts: 14
    My 2007 530xi is half way across the Atlantic. I'm tracking it on sailwx.com. Pretty cool site. Questions: 1. Can anyone comment on whether the armrest phone cradles are worth it for Bluetooth phones? According to BMWUSA.com the cradle allows you to operate the phone via the shark fin antenna and therefore provides better reception? It also charges your phone battery. 2. The phone list shows some phones that aren't even for sale any longer. Is BMW going to update the list of phones for which they offer cradles? Thanks.
  • skobolaskobola Posts: 207
    I did not go for the cradle, because BT phones could remain in your pocket, briefcase or wherever you wear them while walking. Of course, if you do not have a cradle, the phone will not be charged, which I do overnight anyway.
    BMW appears to be slow and not really updated on the compatible phones, and I do not know why, as the new phones are constantly coming out. I also know that some phones work even without being on the list of compatible phones, so maybe the best way for you is to try the phone first and then you buy it if it is completely compatible.
  • cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 545I with HUD and also like it a lot. I got it on immpulse and am glad I did. You get very used to having the speed and NAV directions right in front of you. I do have the same beef about polarized sunglasses.

Also have Active Steering and swear by it. It came as part of the sports package otherwise I doubt if I would have gotten it. But, two years later, I don't think I could live without it. VERY useful for parallel parking as is the PDC.
  • cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    I've got a Bluetooth equipped phone which I routinely use with my 2005 545I and it works fine. Didn't get the cradle and don't think it's necessary. I usually leave the phone in my pocket and it works fine plus it runs all day on an overnight charge. If you want to charge it in the car, be a lot cheaper to just buy a phone charger.
  • One of the primary improvements you may notice with the cradle is that the phone can use the rooftop antenna.

The number of dropouts is sharply reduced when the rooftop antenna. If this is a concern, the cradle has merit.

Since I don't carry my phone in my pocket -- I leave it in the car 90% of the time -- the recharge feature is also a plus.

Different strokes. . .
  • dorongdorong Posts: 1
    Is any one knows how to adjust the 5 green lights from 1 to 5 ?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I am glad this general forum is back. It felt like I had lost a good friend when it closed. There are always helpful tips here and stories of great 5ers as well.
  • jsanijsani Posts: 2
    Does anyone have the Night Vision option, pros/cons. How is the NAV system. I heard it's gotten better???

Thanks
  • I recently purchased a 2007 BMW 530XI and have noticed that when I start the car, the display for the NAV and radio is delayed anywhere from 10-20 seconds with sometimes no delay at all. During the delay, there are no radio or idrive functions but only the letters "B M W" on the display.

Is this a normal and annoying "feature" of the display or is there some issue with the electronics? The dealership can't find anything wrong.
  • If your car is locked and you unlock the vehicle, the i-drive system will began to initialize. So by the time you start the engine, the "BMW" wording will likely be bypassed and go directly to the "Disclaimer" screen where you have to "Accept" before the i-drive is fully functional.

Most people do not lock their cars in the garage, so it will take time for the system to initialize, especially when the car is "asleep" in your garage overnight.
  • Thanks for the info. intersting stuff...I also have the keyless entry system that I use and never actually press the FOB to enter into the car. I think I will experiement a little to see if this is part of the problem.

Can't say I have noticed a distinct pattern here but perhaps my car is usually in "sleep" mode? When this happens, it is a 25 sec delay for full power. I tried a few scenarios today and so far the only time I can get the idrive display to respond immediately is when I have just turned off the car and turned back on the electronics (or ignition) within 2-3 min.

Any further information or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Will,

I do not have comfort access but it should work the same way. Also, if you were to open any door or trunk before you start the car, the i-drive will come out of sleep mode and initialize. After you do this, you will notice that the "lawyer" screen appears immediately and it never goes to the "BMW" screen.

25 seconds seems to be longer than I have experienced.

Good luck.
  • I'm looking for clarification on a Bluetooth question. Cell phones allow for several phone numbers under one contact, i.e., home, work, cell, etc. When using the Bluetooth in the 5 Series and scrolling through the address book, which of the several possible phone numbers under a given contact will come up? Is it the first one stored under a particular contact? Is there a way to choose among the two or three numbers you might have stored under a given contact? Thanks.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    I have the BMW BT phone kit installed in my 2003 530i and use a Motorola RAZR V3i (with iTunes). The BT phonebook downloads all the V3i entries (Home, Work, Mobile, Main), so there are multiple entries for each contact. When I display a phonebook entry, the name appears first and then the associated phone #. The BT system cannot interpret the different catagories so I need to know which number is which before I press the "dial" button. I just scroll thru the entries until I see the entry I want to dial.

Hope this helps.....JL
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    I come back at least once a week here and when it was gone it was as though I'd lost contact with an old friend, glad it's back.
  • Thanks for all the feedback on whether I should keep my 525i. After reviewing all of the feedback and sincere prayer, I have decided to keep my 525i and forego the additional warranty. Aside from the routine maintenance, it has been trouble free.

Thanks again.
    Don't hesitate to check back in should you have any service or repair questions.
  • My wife's X3 will do the same thing. It seems to be based on how long it has been since the last time the car was turned off.

Here is what I notice. If we pull into a gas station, turn the car off, pump the gas and then restart the car, the BMW screen comes up as if there is a re-boot going on.

However, if we turn the car off, go grocery shopping for an hour and come back out the lawyer screen "almost" immediately appears -- as if, I had assumed, we had been gone long enough for a full, orderly, normal shutdown and re-boot. IN OTHER WORDS, it almost seems backwards to my laptop with Windows XP.

We do not leave the key in the car overnight, BTW.

Sometimes, too, we'll notice that the phone seems to have to wait perhaps 30 seconds before the handsfree functionality (we have the BMW in arm rest cradle) comes on line after a shutdown of some short duration.

Is there a "hard drive" in these things? Remember my wife's X3 with factory Nav and Bluetooth is NOT iDrive (its a 2005.) It almost acts as if there is a sleep mode as if the electronics get shut down and your "settings are saved" to either a hard drive or a flash drive and the transfer speed is not fast, so we wait for the reboot, so to speak.

I have a HD DVD player from Toshiba at home, it too takes time to boot up from "rest." Maybe since both the BMW and the HD DVD are "computers" the initialization process needs to restart from step "0" sometimes and other times it can restart from a "checkpoint."

I'm fresh out of ideas, but we have the same situation.

My Audi A6 (2005) used to have the same issues, but then I got the 2007 MMI software update which now eliminates the lawyer screen and boot up appears damn near instantaneous.

Perhaps there is a newer iDrive version you are entitled to.

:confuse:
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Does Audi have the update to get rid of the lawyer screen too? I knew BMW's progman updates were doing it, but this is the first I hard of the Audis.

Did you have to do anything to get that update (as in report some kind of MMI problem)?

-Paul
  • Just curious if anyone here considered the 7 series and then opted for the 5 (or the other way around). I was on the BMW site and compared the specs of the 550i to the 750i and they seemed quite similar in terms of interior dimensions. Also, the feature content seemed to be very close. I'm sure that the 5 is a sportier ride vs the more lux of the 7 though. Any input is appreciated.