Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    Don't mean to sound like a wet hen, but I just can't help but comment on somebody who "saved all through high school", and now wants to start ponying up serious dough in order to drive a $50k car. I know that "deferred gratification" is boring, but have you given any thought to investing some of your $$$, doing a little saving to build a nest egg, maybe save for a down payment for some real estate (usually an APPRECIATING asset, unlike most cars), etc.

When I initially read your post, I thought "well maybe his folks have big bucks", but if they're only contributing $8k, there's quite a bit left for somebody just out of school to cover.

Maybe you've realized it, but cars are expensive to own, and expensive cars are really expensive to own. Why not start out with something a little more modest, maybe even a well-maintained used ride. As you may have heard, the trick for creating wealth is "living BELOW your means", and in the end, having a decent amount of dough saved/invested can be very comforting. You've got your whole life ahead to buy and enjoy big ticket items.

OK, off the soapbox.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    You've got plenty of time to own a new 5er; get something YOUTHFUL while you are YOUNG. The 525iA is a nice car, but sorely lacking in driving excitement.
    Some suggestions:
    CPO E36 M3
    CPO M Coupe
    Corvette Z06
    Mustang Mach1
    S2000
    G35 Coupe
    GTO
    If you must have four doors:
    CPO E36 M3/4
    CPO E39 540i Sport
    RX-8
    Lancer EVO
    WRX STI
    All of these will be less expensive than an E60 5er, and-as a bonus-they won't be mistaken for a new Grand Am either.
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Posts: 200
    Hey, we all reserve the right to pick out our own cars. Mach 1, Z06 bad suggestion, dangerous, poor build quality. The 5 is a brilliant selection. Go get 'em kid. You'll have the coolest ride on campus.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    cjs2002... Why not consider something a bit less expensive? Say a 325i? You're young. Get a manual transmission!

Ask your insurance agent what annual cost of car insurance will be. Might impact your decision.

Is the $8K down in addition to the $475 per month? If so, seems like an expensive lease.

If I was you, I'd be looking for a car under $25K. Have you thought about Hyundai Tiburon V6 6-speed? Honda Accord V6 6-speed coupe? If you want a sedan, Acura TSX nice. Or an Altima 3.5SE 5-speed manual. The Lexus IS300 is less expensive than 525i. MB C-class coupe C230 Kompressor. There are a ton of great cars out there.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    <Hey, we all reserve the right to pick out our own cars.>
    I never said he didn't. However, I do maintain that a 525iA is a bit stodgy AND expensive for a college student.

<Mach 1, Z06 bad suggestion, dangerous, poor build quality.>
    True, build quality is not up to BMW standards, but dangerous? Give me a break. I know more than a few CCA members who also have an American musclecar in their garage. About the only thing the Mach and Z06 might endanger is the ego of other drivers at track events.

<The 5 is a brilliant selection. Go get 'em kid. You'll have the coolest ride on campus.>
    Yep, and he'll have a head start on being in debt for the rest of his life...
  • srfast -
    You stated in your last email that installing the Bluetooth kit is a DIY, then you stated that ALL kits have to be installed at the dealer, can you explain? I am looking on getting this installed in my 530.

If anyone has had any experience with this, your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    As one who was in over his head in college, I have to agree. Live BELOW your means right now. If you want a BMW, the 3 is not a bad choice. CPO cars are another good option.

If you want a nice car with above average performance, the G35, in either sedan or coupe form, will do VERY well. The G's rate very well in quality (Infiniti) and performance on par (or in some cases better) to BMW's.

At 20, you DEFINITELY need to worry about insurance, as that price won't really drop until you hit 25 or so.

Ultimately it is your call, but with the 04's being new and you being in school (my guess) you will want something more reliable than a all-new car with new technologies in it.

With a lower priced car, too, that money infusion from your parents will go a LOT farther and work to reduce your monthlies much more than for a 50K car.

-Paul
    I know that I just read it but it's tough to figure how someone could advise another to purchase a hyundai over a BMW...........please, this is killing me.
    You guys want to jump in here and tell this guy how to spend his money? Who knows, maybe this guys got millions. I'm sure that he realizes that there are many less expensive vehicles but maybe the car suits him and if that's what he decided he wants than he certainly could come up with a lot worse picks (hyundai, ford, chevy) BUY THE 5!!!
  • Anyone knows a good tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley area (California)? I want to have black tints on my 2003 525iA. Also, can anyone recommend specific tint brands? Thanks.
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    Your advice for the 20-year old looking at leasing a 5-series: "The 5 is a brilliant selection. Go get 'em kid. You'll have the coolest ride on campus", with the added comment to critics that "maybe this guys got millions"(sic). (Yeah, sure he does...)

Spoken like somebody who makes a living hoping other people go into hock, whether they can afford it or not. May I respectfully suggest that it would enhance your credibility on this board if you were to refrain from dispensing such questionable advice. We all know you like (or at least shill for) BMW's, we all like them, too, but suggesting such an expensive car for somebody who apparently needs $8k from his folks just to swing a lease (let alone insure it) sure doesn't say much for your judgment, or objectivity.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I, you and bmwseller is am not here to be be judge and jury about whether a college kid should buy a 525i. Since the poster did not choose to reveal his financials and has asked a question - it probably should be answered without the editorials or berating someone who wants to sell a car to someone who is interested in buying a car.

I am not an advocate of this, on the outside, seemingly irresponsible behavior, but for all I know the poster has more money than Sam Walton.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Kdshapiro said... "I am not an advocate of this, on the outside, seemingly irresponsible behavior, but for all I know the poster has more money than Sam Walton. "

Is that the same guy who owned that mountain on that 70's Tv show? :) Walton's Mountain... :)

-Paul
    I think that he'll really enjoy the I-drive because he'll be receptive to it and appreciate the multitude of operations that are easily at his fingertips. I'm thinking of myself having that car at that age .......... the women, ah the women. You talk about a head turner. dang!! that would be sweet.
    By the way, be sure to get personalized plates.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    bmwseller... My point is to get something that you can afford. And get something with manual transmission and some power. (I don't worship marques. I love cars, regardless of where made or who made. I'm probably the only person here who has owned 2 Infiniti, 2 BMW--540i6 and 323ia, and 2 Lexus but also owns a Hyundai. My '00 Sonata GLS V6 w/5-speed manual, ABS/TC, leather, CD, sunroof, pwr seats, etc. now has almost 50K miles. Next to troublefree. Great mileage. Low insurance. Tiburon looks great and has decent engine/transmission combo.)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, folks ... cjs is getting a WHOLE lot of advice for which he did not ask, nor to which is he responding (at least for now).

Let's let this go for now. If he needs help deciding what vehicle to choose, I'm quite sure he is capable of asking that question.

Meanwhile, there is certainly no reason to get into a squabble amongst yourselves about what he ought to buy especially since, again, he did not ask that question! ;->
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    Greatings and salutations,
    thank you to all who commented... we got a kick out of reading your responses, they are all sound, and I respect you all for your sugestions and I thank you for them. I've actually considerd getting a lesser car, but it doesn't appeal to me, and I don't know why, my friends all call me an the old man because out of all of them I'm considerably the most aged (in terms of taste and responsibilities.) I live with my parents, who have no problem with me living with them through college, I also have money set aside in case the day arises for when I may wish to move into an apartment with friends or on my own, this was done with the help of my grandfather who has been my best friend through out life; my parents don't ask for mutch, a little respect, courtacy, and the ability to get a hold of me on my cell phone in case they need something is all they ask of me. I've given considerable thought in saving up and investing, my father started his own manufacturing business which I too consider to be my own investment, I've put in looongg hours helping him get through paper work, shop work, as well as offering finantiall assistance when times arouse. its been a year and the company is around the corner from taking off. getting this car or a car like the G or the X type or the C MB is something my mind and heart tell me is right. my father supports my decision and as a thank you has offered instead of payment back to pick up x cess slack of the payments as I've previously stated. I'm beyond fortunate to have what I do, and to be able to have the oportunity and chance to do what I want. I appologize for taking such a long time to respond to all of this, and I also wish to appologize for sparking any arguments and what not; I've been running around working with my father as well as at my other jobs and thank you for all your support and suggestoins, to be honest I've looked at nearly every mid size car out there, from nissan to honda, to camry to well sorry to say but I refuse to get a ford or chevey and I've even looked at the Cad CTS along with any and every model range in between these. I'm sorry for such the long winded response but like I said i've been away for a bit. (please if you have any more advice or comments feel free I appriciate them all; you're also welcome if you don't wish to take up all the message board to email me at CjsG35.... yes I know it says G 35 which is what i'd wanted till i fell in love with the five and found out that the lease payment were nearly identicall thank you to all again)

Sincerly
    Craig
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Craig, we have a Help Me Choose! discussion that would be a great place to continue this conversation. Why don't you make a post there, and those of you who want to continue to help him figure out what might be best can meet up there.

That way we can keep this 5-Series discussion from getting too far off-track.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    and is not a factory option. If you want the BT kit installed pre delivery, you order it through the dealer and they install it. If you want BT post delivery, you have two options: You order it at the parts counter and have the service dept. install it at the prevailing labor rate. The install documentation indicates it takes 1.5 hours. The second option is that you order the kit, take it home and install it yourself. Unless you are deviating from the BMW install, it is a straight forward install.

Hope this helps....JL