Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    I went to the dealor today with my father... I actually had a great experience .... well except for the end part. I'm about 95 percent shir that I'm gonna stick with the BMW; we talked a bit on prices, (not too heavily) but we talked a little about what we or rather they could do to lower the lease payments. so far we've gotten with 4100 down (includes tax title licsens and all taht good stuff) 36 month 15K miles per year for 465 a month, my father believes we can get it for a better price, what do you all believe... the whole bad part of the day is that I discoverd that they wouldn't be getting a shipment of 525i till end november mid december. but even then these are equiped with things I don't want, they said that they'd make a deal where they'd just discount off what ever wasn't on my original list of what I wanted on the car, I'm hoping this holds true when we go back in 2 weeks.... (she wrote it down on paper and had the manager sign it so its all good)
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    You CAN sell a young man an old man's car.
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Posts: 200
    I'm delivering two new 5's today. A stunning silver gray 530 sport and our first 525. Has anyone seen any of the new colors?

Go buckeyes!
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    bmwseller, correct me if I'm wrong... didn't Bangle go to Michigan? ;-)
  • Someone please tell me what's up with the brakes and my 2000 528i. The dealership said I would most likely have to always get new rotars when I replace pads and that my front brakes may only go 13,000 miles. I bought my car in May. I just spent almost 500 on front brakes and rotars last week. How far do you think they'll take me?
  • It looks like it's scowling mad with those downward slanted "eyebrows". But is it a justifiable anger? Is it no longer "the ultimate driving machine"?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Is it no longer "the ultimate driving machine"?"

It is whatever name you decide it is.

I personally love the exterior styling and the first reviews of the new 5 series have been extremely complimentary. To base an opinion on whether a BMW is the ultimate driving machine based on the shape of front headlights seems a little short-sided. Why don't you go drive it and then come back with and tell us about your test drive?
    says that the new 5 is still the segment leader!

go drive one premed .........what car in the segment do you like the looks of?

We're all Big Ten brothers, go bangle!
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    I have been lurking here checking out the reaction to the new 5 series. Quite surprising in a sense but the biased view against the newest and the latest is quite funny, frankly. I know you all love your Bimmers, but the resistance to change is a little over the top. Almost everyone that hates it qualify it with their previous generation 5. Like no kidding!

Anyways,coming from someone who doesn't own a BMW, when I checked the new and the old side by side, the old 5er looked like a German Buick. Old, stout, and "classic" in the sense that it has been around forever.

Yes, Bangle is a big change to BMW's style philosophy, but his 5 series looks the best yet. Aggressive, clean and svelte in shape, it is everything the old 5er isn't. Interior-wise, with the appropriate wood/leather combo, it does look great. The back seat is outstanding too.

At $66,500CAD, well equipped and with a 6spd manual, it significantly undercuts the E320 and while an S-Type is the only other car with a manual and cheaper, dynamically there is no competition.

Just my 2cents, you can continue bashing it, keep up the laughs!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! COME TO THE DARK SIDE! ;)
  • How does an opinion that runs against yours qualify as "biased"?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I think the biggest BMW stylistic change took place when the E36 replaced the E30. Yes, there was some carping, but NOTHING like the resistance the E65 and E60 are encountering. Bangle simply doesn't realize that "distinctive" does not mean "gawky" or "odd". Granted, the interior doesn't bother me that much(though the flat dash devoid of instrumentation looks more Buick than BMW), but the exterior says "Pontiac", the side view screams "Camry", and the rear mutters "Kia Rio". It's sad that the only new BMWs which look attractive are the X3 and X5. And the new 6er? Roll it up next to an E24 and try to find anyone other than a BMW salesperson who thinks the new car is more attractive. And I'll bet the BMW salesperson would fail a polygraph test...
  • Is similar to that of a $20,000 Honda Accord.

I used to remember a time when Honda ripped off BMW designs.
  • I posted on another Edmunds board that the Wall Street Journal said today that BMW is redesigning the 7-series "early". Behind all the hype, they reveal that Sept year over year sales for the 7-series are down 23%. Europe is particularly affected. So, whatever the esthetic opinions we all have, apparently buyers are backing off the 7-series. An Audi dealer I know said he's getting a lot of A8 business from former 7-series owners. Maybe they like the old shape better, but they're the ones who can afford $70-80K for a car. Most 20 or 30 somethings can't. So, the Bangle design appears to be a marketing miscue BMW is trying to correct early.

Your point about the E39 looking like a Buick (meaning old looks for old people, etc., I think) is valid if the new generation E60 knocked your eyes out -- but as designman says, it looks oddly like a Grand Am. I think the point being made is that the design could have been much better than it is, capturing the (usually well-off, anxious-to-buy)existing 5-series buyers while interesting a new generation of younger, aspiring buyers. If the 5 leaves its established market behind, like the 7-series apparently has, BMW suffers. For buyers, a new decision comes up: do you want to pay $40-50K for an odd looking car that will get redesigned in a year or two or wait until later?

Speaking of odd looking cars, I'm sure there's people out there who think the Pontiac Aztek is the leading edge car they'd like to be seen in. Most think it's simply an odd (very odd) looking car. Wonder if the 5-series is enough of a Aztek-like mistake to simply become an odd-looking car :)?

Cheers--
    For some reason the current 7 series is outselling all previous 7 models. A lot of people who have such harsh criticism are more likely to spend honda accord type money anyway. I'll take the polygraph right now.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I have no bias. I don't and have never owned a BMW, either.

Opinions are just that and everyone is entitled to their own. That said, your description of the old 5-series looking like a Buick and the new one looking "aggressive, clean and svelte in shape" has me wondering if you need glasses.

I can accept the new E class as a aesthetic refinement of the previous one. But I cannot accept the new 5 as a aesthetic refinement. It's a radical change and at least to my unbiased eyes, destroys or damages a lot of what made the 5-series attractive. The new one is a lot closer to GM than the old one, IMO.
    My opinion, the 745 is to the 740 as the new 5 series is to the old 5 series. The 745 has grown on me tremendously. The 740 is one of the most handsomely conservatily designed cars ever, that is now long in the tooth. The 745 picks up at the right place, interior and exterior. To me the same analogy holds for the 5 series.
    I don't at all get what these GM to BMW comparisons are. What part of the car looks GM or Honda for that matter? Get a little more specific because I'm sitting here looking at the cars all the time and I'll check it out for myself. Obviously, there is a reason why people feel this way. Could you be so kind as to explain what that is? curious
    bmwseller - I think what premed may have meant to say is the back of the Mercedes C class looks like a Honda. Actually come to think of it, without my glasses the back of a BMW does look like a Honda.
    I was an expert marksman in the marine corps several years back and still have excellent vision but this observation is without glasses.

I have the rear end of the accord in front of me on the dell monitor now and the new 5 series is just feet away in the middle of the showroom.........

There are virtually no similarities but the 'bimmer sure does cost a lot more.