Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Performance wise, the 550i will still be better than the 535i but not significantly."

Drive them both over Loveland or Independence pass and then tell me what you think. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Posts: 21
    I just leased a 07 530i in January, and love the car. However, I find the car to lack any kind of straight-line stability on the highway. When I am on the highway at 70mph+, I find that any gust of wind will push the car. In general, I find the car doesn't feel as solidly planted as my Mercedes or even an Audi A6 I rented yesterday.

Has anyone has a similar experience with their car? I love the handling of the BMW, but this kind of freaks me out when I am on the highway. I never expected anything like this from a German car, and am wondering if maybe there is something wrong with the steering rack or suspension.

Other than this, the car is fantastic. A little low on torque at times, but otherwise a fantastic car.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    What kind of tires? What is the highway like? It kinda sounds like tramlining, but with the wind gusts, it is hard to say. Does it have Active Steering? If it feels skittish, I'd talk to a service advisor and have it addressed. Every BMW I've owned/driven has been VERY solid, even at speeds that I can't post here.

-Paul
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,754
    Agree with the previous poster. It is unusual for any modern BMW to feel anything less than planted on the road. It should feel better at 80-90 than at 55-60.

I'll bet you have that damnable Active Steering, see your dealer and have them check wheel alignment front AND rear as well as tires and steering.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I wouldn't go so far as to call A/S damnable. Properly configured, it is a VERY nice setup. But it could be a potential issue with this situation and worth investigating completely.

-Paul
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    When I took delivery of my first BMW I was stunned at how unstable the car was. I took it back to the dealership within a couple of days. "Oops!" Said the red-faced prep guy, "I forgot to let the shipping air out of tires." Five minutes later I had a rock-solid stable car.

Check your tire pressure. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gl1951gl1951 Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 535xi from Daniels BMW in Bethlehem, PA at $2000 off of MSRP. Ask for Carrie.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,689
    535xi wagon. SWEEEETTT. Pics.
    I can even get the wife on board for that one. :)

I've never spent this much for a car, but this might actually be worth it to me.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    gl1951,

That's the same model I would get if I buy a 5 series. What did they give you for an expected delivery date?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,005
    I saw a '99 Black/Black E39 M5 with 50K miles for sale in Autoweek. The guy was asking $27K for the car. Let's see, according to Tech Talk, you'd be looking at a clutch replacement soon. Too bad I'm not in the market right now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Interesting, there wasn't E39 M5 in the US, only RoW markets. E39 M5 was introduced as MY2000.

I'd take some of the articles in techtalk with a grain of salt, there are plenty of owners with anywhere from 70k to 100k with original clutch. It is all about one's driving style.

Plenty of 2000 E39 M5 in the mid to upper 20s can be found these days.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,005
    I thought it looked weird to see a '99 M5 for sale. Maybe it is a typo?

Tech Talk is great, but I do agree that some of Mie's comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

Maybe in a few years (a long few years) I'll pick up an '03 E39 M5, but it is but a pipe dream for now:) :P

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Many thanks to all who responded to my concern. I am going to check the tire pressure tomorrow, even though the TPM (for what that is worth!) says all for tires have good pressure. My car does not have active steering, and the tires are the Continental tires that come with the regular suspension. I have never been a big fan of Continental tires, but I don't think the tires are the problem here. I think (hope) it could be as simple as the air pressure. I think that taking the car back to the dealer with an "unstable at 80mph" complaint will lead to a "could not be replicated" response from them.

Other than that, the car is excellent. But, I should have gotten the 550. That is just me. I have a heavy foot, and find my car a touch slow on the on-ramps.

Thanks again!
    I am agree with you. the V8 is a sweet engine! ;)

V-10 is sweeter still! :)

Good luck on it. Even if the TPM shows good pressure, it just means nothing is leaking. It doesn't necessarily mean that the pressure is GOOD, as in the right range. Check your pressure settings vs what is recommended on the door jam in the driver's door. That would be a better baseline to go against.

-Paul
  • tmac1987tmac1987 Posts: 1
    My Mom just bought me a used 87 BMW, where it is running really nice, there are a few things that are going on that I need a little advice on. The dashboard gages are having a mind of their own with working one minute and then not the the next. I got off from work today to find that power windows won't go down and the idle is all over the place. Any good sound mechanical advice before I take it in and get totally in over my head with a repair shop looking to take advantage of a newbie such as myself would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,754
    If you're lucky you have a bad battery, if you're not you have a more serious electrical problem, have your battery and charging system checked out by a reputable independent BMW or Bosch Tech.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Was able to check the tire pressure last night when the tires were cold. All tires were generally okay, a little high, except the front right tire, which was inflated to 42psi, when it should have been 32. I let some air out, down to 34 psi, which is where the front left tire was at. Door jam says should be at 32. In any case, what a difference! NOW the car is an excellent car! It tracks really well, and is extremely stable on the highway.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Do not forget to settle down with i-Drive the new 4-tyre balance in order to avoid a faulty alert!

Regards,
    Jose
    ">link titleEdmunds has a New York Auto Show blurb on the new 5 series:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2591
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    I want a little info hows the 5 series????

In detail plz....

The driving experience the comfortzone??? how is it???
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    which is the better car the 3 series or the 5 series???
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    It's personal preference and only you can answer that.
    Not to sound like a jerk, but reading up in the various BMW forums, like found here on Edmunds, KBB, BMW-specific sites may be a better way to start your search.

It's kinda like my son asking me to quickly explain how the universe works in 30 seconds.

The 3 and 5 are the same only in that they both have 4 doors in sedan form. They have a common engine, but other than that, they are quite unique. You need to look at YOUR financial situation, your needs, your wants, etc to determine which is best for you.

They are both incredible vehicles. You can't go wrong with either, but what you choose is entirely up to you.

-Paul
  • banglenotbanglenot Posts: 31
    I've got one of each.

The 3xi is fun and quick, but a bit noisy. The 5i is quicker, and quieter. Both handle better than anything in their class. If I could choose only one, I'd get the 5. But its nice to have both.
  • art92101art92101 Posts: 1
    I had a 98 528 and I LOVED that car. I miss it. It had the premium package w/no sport pak. I drive many long 200 to 300 mile days and did not want the stiffness of the sport pak. Now I have a 04 530, premium pak and it is very different. Still a great car relative to others in the Japanese makes. But it does not seem to have the sporty feel of my old 528. The 530 blew a coil and since it's CPO I took it to the dealer and mentioned the "softness" of the suspension and he tells how this 530 is a better driving and safer car...well perhaps so but it doesn't quite feel as sporty. The old one had a taut suspension, very balanced. It may be that the new series is just too quite?? I like but do not LOVE it like my ol 528.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    I feel the same way about my 2003 530SP - last of the e39 platforms. It's gonna take something special to pry me away from this remarkable car! I do have the sport pkg and it transforms this car into a remarkable road car - I enjoy it now as much as the day I brought it home.

Maybe the upcoming 535 with the new TT engine and upgraded interior will get my attention ;)
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    The TT drive train is awesome. I had a 335i loaner car while my e39 M5 was in the shop, and the thing felt as fast my e39.
    I stopped by the BMW dealer yesterday to ask about availability of 535Xi and 335Xi models. They are expecting the new 5 series cars to start arriving in 2 - 3 weeks (335Xi is already showing up).

I picked up brochures for the new 5 series and the 3 series. According to the data published in those, the 0 - 60 time for the 535i auto is 5.7 seconds, while 0 - 60 for the 535Xi auto is 5.6 seconds. I was surprised the AWD is faster to 60 than the RWD considering it weighs 243 pounds more.

As an aside, 0 - 60 for the 335i auto is 5.6 while for the 335Xi auto it's 5.4.

Bruce
    Was wondering if any one happened to see this posted in the 3 series forum:

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/2358840.aspx

If so, wanted to ask people who know the 5 series what they thought of the comments on the 550i?

I am toying with the idea of upgrading from an 06 330Xi to a new 535Xi. One of the reasons would be a little smoother, quieter ride while hopefully not sacrificing much in the way of handling. Because of my experience with RFTs on my 330Xi, if I get the 535Xi, I will stay with the standard GFTs.

I have not been following the M-B E series, so was surprised at their comments on its ride and handling vis a vis the 550i.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • cabluecablue Posts: 48
    We're thinking of getting the 2008 535, but I see here in Edmunds that BMW is coming out with a new 5 series in 2009, releasing in 2008. Is that correct? Is it a whole new body style? There's no sense in getting the 2008 for us if the body is changing a year later. We'll just wait. Any info would be helpful. Thanks! :shades: