Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,594
    I don't cringe when I look at it.

Still not a rousing endorcement. I just don't want you to have buyer's remorse.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I don't think buyer's remorse would be an issue; not until the first payment came due, anyway. :P But you're right. I probably should just order one, huh?
    don't think buyers remorse would be an issue.

Black is real hard to keep clean, but looks great when clean. Also consider future resale because you're buying not leasimg, right?
    This would be my FIFTH black car, so I think I have that base covered. :P I know, I'm a glutton for punishment.

And yes, I'd be looking to buy.
    Well then, go for it. I personally like the 5's size and comfort and ergonics and iDrive are good.

Keep us all here on the "boards" informed.
    Yeah, I think I've left the guy waiting long enough. I'm about to go for the plunge and see what happens.
    Good luck....you'll LOVE the car.
    Well, I've left the dealership 550i-free (for now.) They countered with $66K for that particular car and are offering me $28,500 for my two trades, but one of them has a payoff. Gonna take the second one in for them to low-ba... er... "appraise" on Monday. For now, looking at OTD of $53,079 including payoff. Will see if I'm happy with financing on Monday.

I still would love some more advice from everybody!
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Well.....

I would order a car. I ordered my 540I, even though there were a couple cars that were close, however I wanted blk sapphire/blk, and would not settle for jet blk. I wanted fold down rear seats, and no airbags in the rear doors, etc.

I still wonder about the E39 530 with manual tranny, however I was so blown away by the 540.... and after 133K I am still happy, and I've even made some Dinan mods that increased power, and responsiveness somewhat.

Bottom line is that I usually find that I'm happiest if I don't settle.
    That makes sense. Now that I'm coming down out of the ether, I might just have to pass on this one and try again. I was this close to "settling" for a jet black on black 535i Sport w/ automatic that they have there. If the salesman had been a little more aggressive (thank goodness he wasn't) he might've been able to talk me into that one. But for sure, I'd have buyer's remorse on that one. The 535i just does NOT feel like a 550i, and I was once one of the ones who figured a 535i Sport would be just as good as a 550i Sport. It's not. Trust me.

That's not to say the 535i is bad. That's not the case in the slightest. But the 535i just didn't feel as good to me as the 550i; power, ride, drive, etc.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    What kind of advice are you looking for? It seems you know what you want. Are you seeking how to get the best price on purchase and trade-in?
    No. I'm looking for more of a WWYD?: What Would You Do? And do you think I'm being reasonable with my offer?

And, of course, I got the usual salesman tapdance that the Edmunds invoice isn't true invoice jargon. He offered to show me their actual invoice, but it somehow slipped his mind in the span of 3 minutes. He never produced an invoice sheet. Probably saw that they would still be turning profit with my offer even though he said it wouldn't be doable. I'll have to remember to ask for their invoice sheet when/if I return on Monday.

I really want a 550i, but I'm not willing to have my pockets rabbit-eared just to get one. :(
  • 29572957 Posts: 2
    idrive a 01 5301 SP 65k miles need rear rotor and ceramic pads. need to know the mfg name for the rotors
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Steve at the Ultimate Garage will sell you OEM stuff at a very good price:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=34_267

Best Regards,
    Shipo

Edit: Oops, it seems that he's stopped carrying brake parts for the 530i and 540i. :( I've also bought E39 530i brake components from:

http://www.importrp.com/home.php

Personally I'm a fan of the PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads as they have about the identical stopping power as the factory pads, however, they create virtually no dust.

As for rotors, the Import Replacement parts carry Brembo rotors which as a rule are equal or superior to OEM rotors.

A full set of rotors, sensors and pads will run you $355.92 plus shipping and taxes. Not too shabby.
  • I ordered the exact 550i that I wanted for 1450 over invoice inclusive of all fees, Macco, training etc (this is Edmunds invoice plus 1K plus 450 fees). You should be able to do the same and get the exact color and options you want. I didn't find that the "in stock" cars were so much of a bargaining point for them as they had allocation cars on the way and needed to sell those as well. Mine is due into port on Tues. 550i sport, sport auto trans, HUD, and lots of other stuff too. I went with Carbon black, with black interior.(It's really a blue car). I also almost jumped at an in stock car but in retrospect, I'm happy that I got to choose the exact options I wanted.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,715
    Congrats topspin! The 550i's a sweet ride. When you are paying that kind of dough for a car, you should get what you want and not have to compromise (unless the compromise involves a SERIOUS amount of money less).

While the only E60 I've driven is my Mom's '05 530iA (the 225 hp), I'm sure if I were in the market for such a vehicle the Twin Turbo 535i would more than suit my needs. But there's something seductive about a V8. If I had the extra cash, I'd definitely go for a 550i!

Best of luck to you!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Thanks. Once you are at this level of car, it's not really about "needs" anymore. It's what you want for what you want to pay. It's a luxury item so no rationalization is possible nor warranted. Just get it because you like it (and can afford it). I am really looking forward to this one. I toyed with the M but it was just too much beast for an everyday commuter car and at 12 miles per gallon, my conscious would bother me a bit.
    Now if I can convince my wife to get a hybrid then I could justify the other car..... :)
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    I presently have a 535xi on order to be here in less than 30 days now. However, I have been wondering over the past several weeks if the 550i would not be the "better" car for me (there really is no "better", they are both excellant sports sedans, but they are different). I have driven both back to back and prefer the 550i feel over the 535. However, the xi feature is also appealling to me here in southern BC as we do get winter.

I can exit the 535xi deal and the dealer will take the car into his inventory for sale. I would have to re-order and wait again.....blah. Plus, the 550 is more bucks.

I do love the V8 feel and the MSport package tho; even if I trade away some all-weather capability. Four snow tires will go on either car I get.

Still wrestling with my decision. Fun but not fun.
    I've still been thinking about it, and I'm starting to warm up to that particular car. I detailed my current black car last night in the garage, and the gleam and sparkle of black just can't be touched by ANY other color. I was just squatting next to it thinking, "Can I really settle for something other than black? That Carbon Black Metallic (which is really just Navy Blue metallic) just won't look as good." But as I said, I'm starting to warm up to that particular car.

But get this! When the deal was going sour Saturday, I mentioned that I probably should just order one to get exactly what I want and not have to pay for a bunch of stuff I don't want (as on this car), the salesman actually got upset about it! :confuse: He starts lying about how I'd have to pay full sticker if I ordered one because I'd be taking one out of their allocation; with a snotty attitude, might I add. I won't even get into how he basically insulted me with one of his comments. And then he just leaves. Some other guy comes out to try to recover that guy's fumble and starts talking more sense. It basically boiled down to that guy not wanting to take a mini deal. Mind you, I had been at the dealership most of the day dealing with ANOTHER salesman who actually did all the work; took me on two test drives, let me take it out by myself, AND answered my questions. If anything the guy that actually did the work should be getting the commission, not this guy! :mad: Quite really! For the amount of work and time spent, a mini is more than this guy deserves.

But if the numbers look how I want them today, I'd be willing to overlook all that and still give a good CSI. Or should I use that as a bargaining tool today as others have mentioned before?
  • My experience is that you should simply tell them that you are confident that you can get the car for 1K over invoice and that if they give you that deal on a car ordered to your specs, they can have the deal right now. If they balk or tell you that you won't get that deal anywhere, I would tell them that if that's the case you will be back but for now your going to walk and take that offer elsewhere. And then walk. Because I am sure you can get that deal or very close to it if you call around and are willing to travel just a bit (50-75 miles).

Just my suggestion.
    Well, I bought the friggin' thing! :) So far, so good. I already did a few setup items, and found some nitpicks. Biggest one so far is that the garage door opener doesn't work unless the car is on. :( About gave myself carbon monoxide poisoning trying to get it setup. :P I-drive is a pain! (so far) The trunk lid will take your head clean, smooth off if you're not mindful! :sick: And the trunk handles are in the dumbest place ever. I still have to touch the paint to close the trunk all the way.

But to recap the car:
    2008 550i
    Carbon Black Metallic (blue)
    6-speed manual
    Sport
    Nav
    Logic7
    Shades
    iPod/USB
    Heated seats

BTW, I was only able to get them to come down $3K off MSRP.
  • Congrats! So the lease price that you mentioned of 880 tax included was calculated on 3K off?

I have a similar car due in this week (sport auto instead of stick). After you take a few laps, would love to hear your review.
    Are you going to get winter tires and wheels?
  • rbleland,

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses to this so far. Asking about AWD vs RWD always seems to stir up interest, and sometimes controversy. If you search, you should find some (but not all) postings on this topic that are very objective and helpful.

I feel it boils down to a combination of factors, such as weather conditions, traffic, terrain, dependency on the car in winter weather, etc. plus your own personal priorities.

With snows on both cars, I think they will both handle winter driving but, and this is just my own personal opinion, the AWD will go better and be more stable in adverse weather conditions. Not sure the AWD affects stopping or turning.

I think the big question is given you have some degree of preference for the 550 over the 535Xi, is that a higher priority to you than better winter weather performance?

In my own case, I chose AWD as I have a high priority for year round versatility in a variety of conditions and driving environments. I came to BMW by way of moving from FWD to AWD. I currently own a 535Xi, and I am very pleased with the dry road handling. Last winter, I still owned an '06 330Xi, and it was definitely better in winter driving than any RWD or FWD car I have previously owned.

YMMV,
    Bruce
    I don't remember mentioning an $880 lease price. That must've been quite a while ago (I've been working on this for 1.5+ years!) I won't be getting any snow tires. I'm in the South, so that's not really an issue. I can't believe how low the profile of the tires is, though! Like rubberbands.

I took a friend for a ride last night and she said the ride was stiff. I don't find it stiff at all; not yet, anyway. Just goes to show that different people have different tolerances. Reviewers always talk about how wonderful BMW shifters are and how short the throws are. I find them to be flimsy and the throws too long. And the clutch could be a firmer. Not the best shifter I've experienced, but not the worst either.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    Thanks, Bruce, I have searched a ton on this site and others regarding the trade-offs between the AWD 535xi and the RWD 550i and I know the main trade-off is the V8 grunt and sharp handling of the MSport package vs the winter superior handling of the xi. Our winters here are not as severe as many Canadian centres, come later (late Nov to mid Dec) and are usually gone by early/mid March. BUT, we can get big dumps of snow, and icey conditions at any time in those months. I do have hills to drive from home to work, and I will have to take the car every day year round (our AWD Highlander will be driven by wife daily).

My really large concern is whether or not the 535xi (as it doesn't have any of the Sport packs) will give me the sharp handling that I remember from all my other/older BMWs.

I think I know the answers, I just really need to make up my mind which way I want to go. Every time I see and drive a 550i, it thrills me. Will it thrill me when there is 3 inches of new snow on the hills??

Probably no one can answer this but me; but I keep wondering?1?
    ... Will it thrill me when there is 3 inches of new snow on the hills?? ...

Are you kidding?? :surprise: There's no greater thrill than hanging a V8 powered, RWD car sideways on ice/snow! :P Really gets the blood pumping! ;)
  • My mistake. It was another poster who mentioned the lease price and he lived in the NE. Give us the full review after you put on a few miles. Mine is due in next week. Enjoy!
    So I'm fumbling around in the trunk and I keep moving around this soft polyester bag with the license plate holder in it. Had picked it up, tossed around, moved it aside several times. Then the thought hits me, "Why in the world do they have a license plate holder in a bag??" :confuse: So I pull it out and voila'! It's paint-matched to the car! I always said BMWs aren't worth the money charged. As I look around and get more acquainted with the car, I notice all the little considerate things provided for your hard earned dollars. :) Granted, it's still insane money to pay for those "little things," but it's nice to know they're there. ;) I might actually become a BMW convert.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Seems like the BMW strategists read these message boards for styling input :) See comment about "frown" in a post I made a couple years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/automobiles/autoshow/NUGGET_BMW_5.html?_r=1&or- - - ef=slogin