Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    1. September/October
    2. Depends on what you like. What are you driving now?
    3. Attributed more to inattentive drivers than the wheels/tires. Common sense says steer around or take it easy over potholes.
    4. Those that have it, love it. Those that don't have it deride it. Who're you gonna listen to?
    5. Easy driving? Better in 535i. "Aggressive" driving? Better in the 550i since you don't have to push it has hard to get the same results.
    6. N/A

I have an '08 550i Sport.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    Keep in mind that the five series had its mid-life refresh in the 2008 model year, which is when most major changes occur. The "new" five series will be a 2011 model. I would not expect any significant changes in the 2009 model, just tweaking of options and probably a price increase. The next model year vehicles are usually available for order in August time frame.

My advice is to avoid active steering if you like to drive a BMW the way a BMW can be driven. I had active steering on a six series and hated it. BMW is known for its near perfect steering feel and precision. Active steering only diminishes classic BMW steering by inserting computers and mechanical hardware between you and the road. Not an improvement. Not worth the money. Bad idea on the part of BMW.

Regarding the sport package. I can tell you from personal experience that a five series without a sport suspension and wheels definitely involves a trade off. (Note that not all five series sport packages include sport suspension and wheels.) Without a sport suspension, it cruises nicely on the highway in a straight line and increases your comfort while driving over broken pavement. But... if you are a BMW enthusiast and you like "spirited" driving, the standard suspension and wheel package is a disappointment and will not live up to the engine's performance potential. Too much lean in corners and a little too much bounce over undulating pavement. The ride is not bouncy by any means, but you do give up a significant degree of handling control in corners and on twisty roads. So it depends on how you like to drive and how much value you place on comfort vs fun to drive. (If someone just wants to drive in cushioned comfort in a straight line, then save some money and buy an Acura or Lexus because the advantages of a BMW will be lost on them.)

I currently have a 535xi as an environmental "down grade" from my previous V8 BMWs. After three months of mixed driving, I average 21 mpg. Pure highway driving will yield about 26 mpg.

I will also say that the twin turbo drive train combined with the new automatic transmission is extremely smooth and very easy to get used to. The turbo six's flat torque curve and the smoothness of the drive train make it "deceptively quick". You get effortless, drama-free acceleration without the need for frequent down shifts and holding the engine at high RPM as you have to do in a V8 to maintain peak power. So you're not as "aware" of the engine and transmission working. At first if feels less sporty and like you're getting less performance than a V8. Then you realize that it's just performing without a lot of fuss.

The 0 - 60 time difference between the 550i and the 535xi is only around 2/10 of a second, depending on who did the test (Car and Driver, for example, 5.2 seconds vs 5.4 seconds 0 - 60). I think the 550i "feels" more fun to drive. But the 535i would win on price and on fuel economy with no significant trade off in performance in normal day to day driving where most people are likely to use it.
  • I have heard, but not confirmed that the 530d might be making it's way to the states this fall - but not sure? Any word?

Scott
    535d, not 530d. Not sure when it will hit. Would definitely choose it over a 535i, though. Same HP, but a boatload more torque; 428 lbs/ft, IIRC.
    ... You get effortless, drama-free acceleration without the need for frequent down shifts and holding the engine at high RPM as you have to do in a V8 to maintain peak power. ...

Where'd you get that idea? The 550i makes more torque at around 2,000RPM than the 535i makes at all, IIRC. It's "peak" torque is high in the RPM band, but it still has more meat under the curve overall than the 535i. The beauty of the V8 is that you don't have to maintain "peak power" to make it perform better than the 535i. I have a 550i Sport, and trust me, there's no need for "frequent downshifting" in any situation so far; not unless I just want to chirp the tires or get it sideways in a hurry. I was VERY tempted by the 535i Sport (test drove it), but it just doesn't compare, IMO, to the 550i Sport, and it certainly doesn't perform "without a lot of fuss." The 535i makes fuss aplenty when you're getting on it.

You're spot-on about the 5-series without the Sport package, though. Anybody considering that configuration would be just as well (and in some cases better) served with just about any other sedan on the market that purports to be a "sports sedan.":( I drove a non-Sport 5 and immediately ruled it out at the first curve in the road. Doesn't suit my driving style at all.
  • jamesgjamesg Posts: 19
    i recently purchased an 08 550i sport; previous car was an 03 540i6 sport. having driven ~1500 miles, my impression is that, while the suspension is tight (active suspension included), the is much more "luxurious" than in the old model. i would therefore not be concerned about a harsh ride in this car even though it has the 19" low profiles versus the 18" in the old model.
    i do not have active steering
    mileage is a bit worse: 19 mpg versus 21.5 in the old one. could be break-in or auto tranny, not sure why the 10% difference.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    anon3,

Regarding the sport package. I can tell you from personal experience that a five series without a sport suspension and wheels definitely involves a trade off. (Note that not all five series sport packages include sport suspension and wheels.) Without a sport suspension, it cruises nicely on the highway in a straight line and increases your comfort while driving over broken pavement. But... if you are a BMW enthusiast and you like "spirited" driving, the standard suspension and wheel package is a disappointment and will not live up to the engine's performance potential. Too much lean in corners and a little too much bounce over undulating pavement. The ride is not bouncy by any means, but you do give up a significant degree of handling control in corners and on twisty roads. So it depends on how you like to drive and how much value you place on comfort vs fun to drive. (If someone just wants to drive in cushioned comfort in a straight line, then save some money and buy an Acura or Lexus because the advantages of a BMW will be lost on them.)

I currently have a 535xi

Was wondering how you classify your 535Xi w.r.t. the above?

I also have a 535Xi. I chose it because notwithstanding the lack of a sport suspension option, I assumed it handled better than the competition in the AWD LPS category, and the engine seemed to put it in a class by itself.

Bruce
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >"If someone just wants to drive in cushioned comfort in a straight line, then save some money and buy an Acura or Lexus because the advantages of a BMW will be lost on them"

My previous car was a 2006 Lexus GS300 (which I 'lemoned'), and my current car is a 2008 535i SP. The Lexus was actually a lot harsher than the 535. The best word to describe the feel of the 535i sport is "supple", even over rough New Hampshire roads.

I think Lexus views "harsh" and "sporty" as the same thing, whereas BMW knows how to do it right.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,359
    I think Lexus views "harsh" and "sporty" as the same thing, whereas BMW knows how to do it right.

Exactly. And Lexus learned it from GM... ;)

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Hey Road,

Remember when the GM answer to EVERY suspension question was the "FE3"? - Add bigger roll bars, stiffen things a bit, and fatter tires - All you need to know about suspension dynamics LOLOL
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,359
    Remember when the GM answer to EVERY suspension question was the "FE3"? - Add bigger roll bars, stiffen things a bit, and fatter tires - All you need to know about suspension dynamics LOLOL

Don't forget the "F41". Just add the "Performance Exhaust" that sounds like a Chris Craft and you've got yourself a gen-you-whine "Sports Sedan"... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I base my statement about "drama free" acceleration on having owned and driven both the turbo six and the 8 cylinder extensively. The two engines yield two different driving experiences. Your statement that, "it [the turbo six] certainly doesn't perform without a lot of fuss" isn't supported by the numbers. Most tests give the 8 cylinder a performance advantage over the turbo six ranging from 2/10 to 4/10 of a second 0 - 60, and that's comparing a 550i to a 535xi, which has the added mechanical overhead of xDrive all wheel drive. The biggest difference is in how the cars "feel".

A short test drive comparison of the two won't give you full appreciation of the turbo six. As I said, the turbo six grows on you and it's easier to appreciate after driving it for a while. The engine and transmission are, I guess I would say, less intrusive (i.e. less "drama"). Personally, I think it's a little too smooth and quiet and you feel less involved in the driving experience. So I find myself frequently thinking "I know this car is nearly as fast as the 8 cyl by the numbers, but it just doesn't feel as satisfying or as fun." So I have to rationalize the turbo six.

That having been said, the point is moot because you can't get a V-8 five series with xDrive if you have a requirement for all wheel drive. So the fact that the turbo six has a performance disadvantage of as little as two tenths of a second 0 - 60 with all wheel drive makes it a very reasonable choice.

However, BMW's decision not to give us a sport suspension option with xDrive equipped five series is not reasonable. It shows how even BMW's marketing department can be just plain stupid and doesn't understand its customer base. Maybe there's a mechanical reason for this, but you can get an all wheel drive V-8 X5 with sport suspension, so why not in the five series????

In the end, it doesn't matter because I only keep my daily driving cars for one year. I drive a 535xi because I wanted to try something different. My next vehicle will have the twin turbo V-8 or will have BMW hybrid technology.
    I was describing the 535xi without sport suspension when I wrote that paragraph. It is a competent sport sedan without sport suspension and wheels, but it's a little soft at the limits of handling/cornering if you're accustomed to driving other BMWs with sport suspension. It all depends on how and where you like to drive.
    ... It shows how even BMW's marketing department can be just plain stupid and doesn't understand its customer base. ...

I think it shows that they are spot on. It's not as though AWD has been around (in large numbers) since the beginning of cars and every car sold in the snowbelt had it. Years ago, people had to make due with FWD/RWD or 4X4. I think how BMW is interpretting it is that if people are so gung-ho about AWD and absolutely must have it to survive inclement weather, they aren't too confident in their driving abilities or aren't truly into spirited/performance driving. And I agree with that interpretation. I think this reliance on AWD stems from a fear that the car might actually get sideways. Fear of the unexpected causes panic. Panic causes accidents in an otherwise recoverable situation, not the lack of AWD. I'm with the camp that says a set of snow tires will do a car fine. Though, I've never mounted anything more climate specific than a good set of A/S tires and have always been just fine; even driving through a blizzard in Vail, CO in January in a Chevy S10 with an open differential and no ballast in the back, and I think those were actually BFG touring tires.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    Maybe there's a mechanical reason for this, but you can get an all wheel drive V-8 X5 with sport suspension, so why not in the five series????

I'm wondering if the replacement for the current 5 series will offer AWD with the V-8, and a sport suspension option for the AWD cars, as they can design that in from the get-go.

BMW seems to be evolving the performance aspects of their AWD system, or at least starting to lean in that direction. They now offer Dynamic Performance Control for the X-6, with hints that DPC could migrate to other AWD vehciles. And they now offer an aftermarket sport suspension for the 328Xi, with speculation they may offer one for the 335Xi.

Bruce
    Your explanation uses the mass produced Japanese automaker marketing model where the manufacturer decides for you how you should equip your car and how you're likely to drive based on the demographic group that the manufacturer has decided you belong to. "We assume that people who buy AWD vehicles are poor drivers or casual drivers who aren't interested in performance driving, so we're not going to give them a sport suspension option." That's an over generalization and a bad assumption and it is a violation of BMW philosophy.

BMW has always been driver centric and gives us the option to equip a car according to the individual's driving preferences. Most people buy AWD sedans for peace of mind knowing that AWD is there during the 1% of driving conditions when four wheels are better than two. But they buy a BMW for the way it handles and performs in the other 99% of driving.

The market generally perceives AWD as a way to drive through snow. But BMW designed xDrive as a performance system to manage under/over steer and to enhance control, safety, and agility in all conditions. The issue is the BMW driving experience on dry pavement when a sport suspension is needed, not how it handles snow.
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Posts: 130
    Several owners have told me their SA advised them on the newer cars if your valve stems are black you can use the metal valve stem caps, yet if they are grey then you have to use plastic caps. The reason being they have changed the tire pressure monitoring on cars with grey valve stems and the metal caps would cause faulty readings. Something to do with the pressure readings reflecting back off the caps. However I checked my valve stems and they are grey and I have the metal Roundel caps on them... with no issues. Go figure. :confuse:

Anyone else heard of know of this issue?
    ... But BMW designed xDrive as a performance system to manage under/over steer and to enhance control, safety, and agility in all conditions. ...

hmph... I did not know that. Learn something new ever (yes, ever) day! Still not as good as its RWD brethren, though. ;)
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Interestingly enough, I had rarely seen all wheel drive BMW (admittedly, they did not make many of those until the current gen models and e34 and e30 were not as plentiful by then, and I had one of the few e30 Tourings with AWD) during my 3 years in Germany or Mercedes 4 Matic/Audi Quattro/VW 4 Motion, for that matter. I don't think I remember seeing e46 AWD ever, in fact. The certainly get decent amount of snow and people just put the snow tires on as one would put gloves on in winter and drive away. This was more or less true in most of Western European countries, but especially in Germany.
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    I live in the North East and went for the 550i sport over the 535 and 535xi. For me it was the feel of the 550 that won me over. With the combination of sport suspension and non run flats, I find the ride to be a perfect blend of sport and luxury. I ruled out the xi since I didn't want a bmw without the sport suspension, active roll stabilization (which has to be experienced to be believed) and the new sport auto trans that has engine breaking and super quick down shifts. Then it just became a choice of 6 or 8 cylinder (and of course the M aero package and non run flats) vs the better gas mileage of the 6. I am averaging about 22 mpg in mixed city and hwy and I don't drive too conservatively.
    I passed on the active steering as to me it felt a bit artificial and not what I am used to from BMW.
    I am very happy after 5K miles and consider it to be the best all around car I've owned to date (several BMWs MB's, Lexus, Infinitis etc have been in my past).
    Good luck.
  • asteinbergasteinberg Posts: 138
    I've had all wheel drives but reluctant to spend more on the car or even a little more on gas to get 535xi rather than 535i. Trying to reconcile good car performance with absurd I-drive, and substandard BMW service and problem dealer attitudes.
    I either pay inflated price at my local dealership or get it elsewhere.
    But BMW, unlike other brands, does NOT provide loaner for warranty service, but lets dealer decide, meaning dealrs don't provide loaner unless you bought it there.
    You're right about M35-- if I did that, I'd get the BMW.
    G35 -- main argument for it is that it has all the features and is very, very cost-effective. But it's sightly smaller than the others and not a much car.
    I'm really conflicted, because the last two years in my BMW I've had to deal with excess air conditioning that is noisy, stupid I-drive, substandard navigation, and burdensome changing of radio stations between satellite and AM. The latter corrected somewhat; the nav still archaic but with real traffic. 535i more powerful, but gas mileage down. I would have preferred a bit more powerful, and not quite the loss in mpg. G35 mileage is quite disappointing.
    Also, my lease turn in experience for BMW was very disappointing.
    Again, I feel I was treated poorly because I did not get the car at my local dealership where I imprudently turned it in.
    --
    If I go BMW again, does anyone reading this now any dealership in So Calif that would sell one at invoice, then lease it with net money factor, without markup?
    There is not enough value in the BMW without trying to get a deal, because the MSRP is too inflated.
    Also, my last one -- 530i -- was in the shop twice for 2 weeks+, for the same safety problem-- passenger air bag sensor.
    BMW sells too many cars and cannot adequately service them. The service writers are insensitive yuppies.
    Problem is I want a rear wheel drive car and don't see much in the way of alternatives.
    But the I-drive shows a culture of arrogance at BMW that extends to dealerships.
    I do want to praise the Internet folks at Pacific BMW in Glendale.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    At this point I'm thinking that you're so soured on BMW than regardless of the deal or the car, you'll be unhappy. As such, I'm thinking that you need to be looking in your local Infiniti or Lexus dealership for your next car.

FWIW, I don't think there is a BMW dealer anywhere in North America that sells cars at invoice. Period, full stop, the end.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    He states "BMW sells too many cars and cannot adequately service them. The service writers are insensitive yuppies.
    Problem is I want a rear wheel drive car and don't see much in the way of alternatives."

Man, you've sure been dealing with the wrong BMW dealer. Now on my third BMW, the service is comparable to my service experience with Lexus, having previously owned six of them. Maybe I've been lucky but I actually had my Lexi' in more frequently for problems.

BTW, I'm getting 27.3 mpg in mixed city/highway driving which for the performance level I'm enjoying with my '08 535, is fantastic. In contrast, with my '06 M35, I achieved only 20-21 mpg at best. Yes, the Nav. ergonomics were better than iDrive, but iDrive is improving with each generation and I have no issue with it.

I agree with Shipo that you should try a different make car (than a BMW) or at least find a good (BMW) dealer to enhance your experience.
    Many thanks for your informative message. I'm intrigued by night vision and heads on display, but these requires special ordering,if i go with 535i. I'm very intrigued at your great mileage and that encourages me; it's not just a money thing, I just don't want to feel like when I run an errand, I'm using that much gas. My 530i had terrifid mileage.
    I friend had an M35 -- he found the turning radius unaccepttable. I think it's better now.
    I've never had a Lexus. I ahd good service in past years with Cadillac Eldorado, Audi turbo, Aud turboi, Infiniti (when they had the big Q45), Mercedes E, Audi A6, Lincoln V8LS. BMW was worst. Does anyone reading this reocmmend any particular BMW dealers for service?
    When I had a safety problem, I was turned away by Bob Smith because I didn't buy the car there. (In contrast, with any prior car, a safety issue was properly and understandably handled immediately.) I went to where I bought it (actually leased it) at Pacific in Glendale, and they were immediatley responsive.
    I don't know if I-drive on the 535 is that much different than the 530, but I do believe the 6 programmable buttons and the AM/Fm button can probably switch me between bands and between stations without the cumbrsome Idrive that made it so difficult to between say, CNN or Fox and the local Am stations.
    The NAV remains primitive.
    A frustration is that BMW provides loaners only if you go where you bought/leased the car.
    Anyway, I'm open to suggestions for anyone on So Calif BMW dealers -- where is good experience to buy/lease (I had positive experience with Pacific BMW in Glendale -- very straightforward, deadline-oriented, responsive, and quite knowledgeable). And where to service, if different?
    Open to multiple dealership suggestions.
    I just want to say that I have a friend with two BMWs and he has had service problems. Also, he had a higher 5 series (545 or 550?), that had several problems.
    My cousin has a mini -- and it was in the shop for a long time with brake problems they could not resolve.
    Of course, these can be exceptions.
    Everyone has good or bad stories with any brand.
    I'm keeon BMW driving performance and encouraged by your psot on mileage.
    Also, has anyone had experience with the run flat tires. I had three (3!) flats -- I live in the Santa Monica Mountains, with small rocks on the road after storms.
    These tires didn't seem that strong -- and BMW maintained they could not be repaired. They wanted $450-$460 for each tire. (I went to a tire place I used for years that charged $100 less.

Also, has anyone had experience with the run flat tires. I had three (3!) flats -- I live in the Santa Monica Mountains, with small rocks on the road after storms.

Actually, I have experience with run-flats (RF's). I had them on my '03 Lexus SC430 and my last BMW,an '06 3 Series. I hated them on my Lexus and found them quite favorable on my BMW. (I did not get them on the '08 535 because I don't have the SP). They gave a harsh objectionable ride on the Lexus but a nice ride and descent handling on the BMW; both were Bridgestones. I live in an area with a lot of construction, hence many nails, bolts and debris on the roads. It is a flat tire haven. Once with the BMW a bolt was removed and the tire was repaired. This is perhaps a rarity because with the other two flats I had in two years the tires needed replacement. They were replaced at my BMW dealer where I read the paper, watched the large screen LCD tv and had a Starbuck's coffee and danish, at a cost of $250 each, and my car returned to me freshly washed and vacuumed. The advantage was that during each flat, I was able to drive on them to the dealer with no fuss, no muss, for service. When it came time to turn in my lease, with a total of 36,000 mi. on them, the two originals still had some life to them and I did not have to pay for new ones. In other words, they wore pretty well for a "performance' type car like a BMW. So, one way to look at it, is $500 in 36,000 mi. for tires is not bad by today's standards.

I also dread the day when I have a flat on my current car without the RF tires.
    My goal for a 2 yr lease was not to replace tires.
    I'm AMAZED yours were $250 each; ALL the BMW dealers I dealt with --wanted approx $450 each. My firends had the same prices.
    The tire place was $350 and that was cheap. Perhaps you had a different size or tire. I've quoted you an accurate amount.
    I like the concept of run-flats, but these tires seemed hazard prone.
    Also, BMW says you can't fix them. Tire place says you can, and without compromising safety or performance.
    I'm actually considering 535i, because it resolved some key 530i problems (somewhat better NAV w/integrated live traffic; memory buttons for radio and AM-FM-satellite band-switching; voice recognition that actually works). Mileage worse than Lexus GS350 with more value, but lease terms not so great, and BMW has free maintenance (w/brakes!). Still prefer NAV and other user friendly items on Lexus, Infiniti and other alternatives I'm exploring.
    As long as I can avoid my local dealer, Bob Smith BMW, I may give BMW another chance!
    Questions--
    (1) Given the slowness of the auto market, how close to invoice does 530i go?
    (2) Does BMW offer financing deals, or just leasing deals?
    (3) Other than premium, sports, comfort access, navigation, sirius satellite radio, does anyone reading this recommend any options ...especially if they are perosonally familiar with them? If I go beyond the above, I must special order:
    (4) Are head-up display and night vision use mere toys or useful? (Seems odd that night vision visible only in NAV system.)
    (5) Is rear door side impact airbag safe, or a threat to kids?
    (6) power rear &manual side sunshades worth the money to keep the kids happy?
    (7) any other options truly worthwhile and worth the money?
    (8) Last time, I did 24 mo, cheaper per mo than 36. Now, 36 slightly higher. I still think 24 mo, to save buying 4 costly fun-flat tires.
    (8a) FINALLY -- does anyone know what the Money Factor will be for 535i for APRIL for 12000, 24mo, 36 mo, and, possibly for 15000. If I go BMW, I could buy/lease Mon/3-31 or wait until Tues/4-1, if MF different.
    (8b) IF I special order, due to other items, I'd use March MF or June MF, whichever is lower. My guess is June MF would be lower. Thoughts?
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    I love the Head Up display. Once you get it you will barely need to look at the speedo area. Also, it really shines with the Nav as your next turn is also displayed.
    Logic 7 is worth it if you are a music person. Also, Ipod integration.
    Sport Auto trans is only around 500 bucks I believe and is excellent. It features engine breaking and very fast shifts. You can read all about it here and also on Bimmerfest.com.
    I also went for HD radio. I listen to satilite 90 percent or more but if you like FM or want to hear a ball game or talk radio on AM, the difference is night and day. Coverage is a bit spotty so it tends to "toggle" between regular and HD at times but I do enjoy it overall.
    I passed on the comfort access just because I couldn't justify the price for not hitting a button on my key. You still have to insert the key in the slot to turn on the car (unlike other systems where you just keep it in your pocket) so for me it wasn't worth it.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice.
    In my 530i, I had comfort access and would definitely get it again.
    A consideration is cost -- I have satellite radio in another car.
    I tend to listen mainly to CNN, Fox News, or talk radio, so I may pass on the IPOD and HD.
    I still wonder about the value of night vision, since it is in the navigation window, which I would not ordinarily be looking at, I'd be looking ahead driving. So, I'm not sure I understand the logic.
    If I do head-up and night vision, I have to wait a couple of months for a car, which means renting a car for 2 months, hopefully with the help of a BMW dealer.
    I passed on the comfort access just because I couldn't justify the price for not hitting a button on my key. You still have to insert the key in the slot to turn on the car (unlike other systems where you just keep it in your pocket) so for me it wasn't worth it.
    Good luck.

WRONG. Where did you get your information? You DO NOT need to insert the key into the ignition to start/drive the car. You CAN keep it in your pocket or somewhere on you. Otherwise, what would be its purpose? Comfort Access is a 'keyless go" and keyless entry option, which works well and is definitely worth it !

(The only reason the slot is there is to utilize at a car wash or I guess for a dead battery in the key fob.)