Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Not to mention that it is illegal to drink while driving in Germany, which is exactly why it is an afterthought
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    re: cupholders

Memo to BMW: Don't forget that North America is now your largest single market in total sales, surpassing even Germany. Given Germany's near decade of economic malaise, with no end in sight, likely USA will be even more important. Nearly all Americans drink in their cars. We are the land of endless Starbucks, McDonalds, and DQ. BMW had better start treating USA like Germany. Don't short change us the best cars. Don't keep us from the customization and special order programs. Bring over diesels. And, for God's sake, give us good cupholders and decent sounding standard in-dash CD players.
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    This past weekend drove from LA to San Diego late at night. Used cruise control the whole way, set at 76 mph (72.4 mph per computer). When we arrived in San Diego 1 hour, 47 minutes later, checked computer. It indicated we averaged 33.1 mpg! This is amazing. I've driven economy cars that did not get this mpg. (E39, 530i, 5-sp, SP, PP).

re cup holders: I only use the cup holder to hold my cell phone. Last time I used it to hold a cup, it broke. Learned my lesson. The "cup holders" are not meant to hold cups.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I just got back from yet another trip to Long Island last night and even with needing to run the A/C the whole way (hot, humid and several thunder storms), sitting in heavy traffic for over two hours (road construction and the typical NYC area rush hour crush both ways) and then the inevitable hooking up with fast moving traffic (often moving at a touch over the century mark) I got the following results:

532 miles (one tank of gas)
    9:20 elapse time
    57 mph average speed
    18.189 gallons of gas
    29.25 mpg

It didn't match Pen101's results but I think it was pretty damn good. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Reminds me of the 26 mpg I used to regularly achieve driving my E39 540i6 on interstate at 74 mph. Quite impressive for a 4.4L V8 sedan!
    Yup, I too think that 26 is pretty good for a V8 sedan. That said, the thought that Suburbans and Excursions and the like that cannot get even 20 mpg going down hill with a tail wind and don't pay a Gas Guzzler tax, when the E39 540i6 had to pay a $3,000 tax while getting 26 mpg really makes me angry, really angry.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I hope that gas prices keep going up. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    But I follow this discussion avidly, and enjoy the cars as well as the posts.

My LS430UL (4.3 l V-8) does 29.5 mpg at a steady 75 mph (actual miles/gallons consumed, not the trip computer). (Please don't shoot me for saying the L-word in a BMW forum!)

Point: Almost all the new luxury sedans (such as the 5 series - a close friend just got a new 545i - great car to drive) are highly efficient at highway speeds by virtue of fantastic engineering and aerodynamic designs.

I think SUVs should be treated to lower limits while more efficient cars should be allowed to go even faster than at present. I think a BMW is in its element at about 110+ mph with an ATTENTIVE driver on a good road, a thing of true beauty!
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890
    Sure... YOU are attentive.. but what about the rest of the drivers on the road? I'd love to drive 110, but I predict carnage if that were the case.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I'm not bemoaning SUVs in per se; it's just that I have a real problem with a playing field that is not level. A Suburban getting 18 mpg at 55 mph does not pay a Guzzler Tax and the E39 540i6 paid $3,000 and got 26 mpg at 75. To me at least, something is VERY wrong with that. Either EVERY passenger vehicle pays the tax over a certain mileage threshold or none of them do. That's only fair. Now however, with fuel prices being what they are, the low mileage SUV types (not your LS430UL) are now needing to pony up for a de-facto tax. I really don't have a problem with that. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    However, a camel is clearly a race horse designed by a committee, and thus we will always have a mish-mash of compromises and accommodations for special interest groups, rather than rational policy by our erstwhile politicians.

(Politics is a word that comes from Poly meaning Many, and Ticks, meaning blood sucking creatures.)
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    And then there is the H2 Hummer. Gets 10 mpg city. But due to its weight of over 6000 lbs, gas guzzler tax does not apply. Plus, it is also eligible for certain tax advantages. But to fill its 32 gallon tank at $2.50/gallon (in LA) can cost up to $80.

To get back on BMW topic, I wonder if the 6-cylinder engine will get more horsepower in 2005 to keep up with the competition.
  • mtv65mtv65 Posts: 45
    All this talk about efficiency is music to my ears =). Looks like we'll be picking up the car (01 530i SP) next weekend. We were hoping sooner but like I mentioned from my prior post, too busy to take the 6hr roundtrip drive.

One final check:

- No 3rd party warranties. Put $$$ in seperate acct.
    - Inspection at dealer for $100. Definite must!!
    - Call Insurance company for quote. Married couple no points. What are you guys paying for ur premiums (if that's not personal)??
    - Enjoy drive home in new (to us) Titanium Silver 530i with Sport Premium. Told my wife that we would have to switch cars halfway home. I'll take the windy half please =).

Thanks all and looking forward to hangin' out with you boys soon.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Darn, too late to edit =(. Too excited I guess =). It's all good.

Any inputs while you're here? Thanks!!
  • calchcalch Posts: 11
    I need some car-buying advise. We are looking for a car that can accomodate three car seats (2 child, one infant). We would like to stay away from SUVs and Minivans and were considering the 5 series wagon after a recent trip to Europe. I looks very nice, but I am not sure whether it will be large enough in the back.
    Since it appears to be very similar to the new 5 series sedan, I was wondering whether anyone has tried to fit multiple car seats in it. The LATCH system seems to be designed for two, but maybe, there is enough room anyway.

If anyone can suggest any other wagons please do (not including Mercedes, we have a C-class that lives in the repair shop)

Thanks for the help.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi calch - welcome!

This 5-Series Sedans discussion isn't really the best place to ask for recommendations for wagons, 5-Series or otherwise. Why don't you check out the discussions on our Station Wagons board?

There is a "Help me select a Wagon" discussion at the top of the list which can offer you lots of information in the previous posts. It also would be a great place to ask your questions about what might be the best wagon for you.

There is also a dedicated 5-Series Wagons discussion in the list along with all the other Wagon discussions.

Meanwhile, we'll wait here to see if anyone has tried to fit three car seats into the back seat of a 5-Series sedan, but you really ought to ask that question in the 5-Series wagon discussion also - that's the information you really need to have.

Good luck!!
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    No problem mtv - I have 03 SP, PP, 5sp, probably very similar to what you are getting, congrats by the way, and my annual insurance bill is $1200 in Boston which I suppose is fairly expensive to insure. I do have a good safety record, LoJack and some other discounts though. Good Luck, you will love your E39.
    .g
    Thanks George! My wife called the insurance company this afternoon and got a quote of...........drum roll..........$263 for 6 months. Pleasantly surprised! The 5 will be driven primarily by my other half and I've still got my M3. I suppose we can switch every now and then. I'm thinking NO since she hates the clutch on the M3....that's the best part =). Guess I'll have to come up with excuses to drive it......'Babe, we're out of your favorite ice cream. I'm just gonna run over to Nob Hill really quick.' Nob Hill is at the next town 15 minutes away....should be plenty of time to get the car warmed up for some spirited driving =).