Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• I, too, am looking to pull the trigger on a 530i. I am in a similar situation, where I've driven Quattro AUdi's for the last 6-7 years. I had a different experience with my Audi's, as I have an excellent dealership. I get Audi loaners on my A8 that's been out of warranty for 2 years and have no problem making an appointment with 1-3 days of a call. My wife leased an '01 A6, and it drove nicely without any issues other than overly squeaky brakes.

That being said.....these are different animals. I saw Audi as a cross between a Lexus and BMW- with AWD. More plush interior than BMW, and a ride smack dab in the middle between the smooth and bland Lexus feel and the excellence of BMW's road manners. BMW's interiors, to me, always seemed understated and classy. Not too much going on, no crazy gauges or lighting, etc. I feel that I am in a substantial and luxury vehicle that is made for driving.

We were swept up in the AWD craze as well. NEEDED to have it. Then when we realized that even with a rough metropolitan winter we only really have 7-8 days where there's appreciable snow, it was folly to make that a decision based on 1/52 of the year.

Anyway, I'm at the point where we have an SUV for family travel and I would like something that is enjoyable to drive. I travel frequently along the east coast in the spring and summer, and can't think of a better vehicle to do so in than the 5'er. Also, I hated the new look of BMW when it first appeared.....but strangely I have grown to like the distinct lines. No idea why...
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,379
    LOL, most folks in the NY/NJ/CT metro area have no idea how mild their weather really is. :^)
  • jbf5-

While in a search, I came across your mention a few months back of the XM direct install. As I am looking at a 530i, it is a feature I've been unable to garner any info about, yet is quite important to me.

Does this work directly through the I-drive and screen features, i.e., does the XM display and info appear in that form?

Thanks.
  • lwhitelwhite Posts: 18
    I understand BMW of Manhattan is owned by BMW AG-Westchester BMW too. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, I assume they have no cost for a 5 series CPO certificate. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,091
    BMW of Manhattan and Westchester BMW are both wholly owned subsidiaries of BMW USA. LLC. I have no idea about their cost (or lack there of) of a CPO certificate.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Think about this. Why would a manufacturer give a company store free CPO certificates just because they were a company store? This would destabilize the market, make evaluating the dealership managers impossible, and , in any case, be unnecessary since no other comparable dealer would have that cost advantage.

This is not to say that a sales guy couldn't intimate this in a sales pitch with with a customer: "Our costs are lower because we are company owned."
  • My wife is out of town on a business trip, so for the past couple of days, I've actually been able to drive her 325i to work.. I'm tooling up the freeway, feeling good.. and what do I see?

E39 M5 in dark grey... Suddenly, I felt like I was in a Geo Metro.. I've started thinking that the E39 is looking a little dated.. but, all dressed up with the M5 stuff, and with those massive tires? Yeeehaaaahhh

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,379
    BMW's never look dated to me. I currently have a nice front shot of a 2002tii as my wallpaper and it looks reasonably up-to-date.

I'm not sure the Bangle-era designs will age as well as past styles.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    NOt that I'd ever be bold enough to dispute the opinions of the self-proclamed "experts" at Autoweek, but I've had both a 330xi without active steering and now a 545 with it and I can tell you from actual experience that at speed road feel is exactly the same between the two. As others have mentioned the advantage of active steering is at low speeds for quicker turning. I would challenge anyone to drive a car with and without it at highway speeds to convincingly tell the difference. Active steering doesn't make it less of a BMW simply because some writer for a magazine says it does. Trust the people with real-world experience! Of course, if you do try it and disagree that's perfectly fine. I just get tired of hearing about what writers that spend a day or two in cars think. Yes, it's their job to critique cars, but it's a movie critic's job to critique movies and how many of us have seen movies we really enjoyed but critics hated?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Great post and absolutely on the money. But you forgot to mention there are scores of movies the critics panned and made tons of money and scores of movies the critics loved and flopped.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    I also have access to my wife's 4WD SUV. But that said, I can depend on my 530 with Michelin Pilot Alpins west of Boston. The car is extremely well balanced to begin with, so the performance snows that are available can make this car very assuring in the snow. And traction control systems work well. Another set of wheels with the snows make this very easy to deal with over the years.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I’d like to know which aspect of “sport” active steering adds to the sport package.
  • Not sure if anyone out there has come across this one but our 5-speed manual transmission would "pop" out of 2nd gear every so often. Usually it was after a cold start but no other symptoms. On the 4th trip to the dealer over 2 plus years we got a rebuilt (there is no such thing as new) 5-speed installed and it feels fine. I did ask if we could get the 6-speed but no dice. The tranny had 22,400 miles and was never abused.

Has anyone experienced this ?

For the last 2 weeks we enjoyed an X-3 2.5 which was nice but a complete gas hog at less than 16 mpg's.
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    Back to tires for a second. I decided to upgrade the Michelin Primacy tires on my 530i to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Best price on the Primacy is $785 out the door (includes mounting, balancing, free flat repair, rotation and 8.25% sales tax). PS2 price out the door is $849. My reasons for selecting the PS2: (1) tirerack article on PS2 rated them very high, (2) the Primacy tires are very noisy (although they have lasted 36K+ miles), and (3) want to try a better handling tire.
  • OK, good chassis balance and winter tires will take you a west of Boston. But west of Worcester?
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I'd like to know which aspect of it detracts from the sports package (which I have). Unless turning into a parking spot really requires tight steering I fail to see how active steering makes you think the car is less "sporty".
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    It’s in the hairpins. AS makes driving through them more difficult. It makes steering neither easier or better, it just convolutes it.

When braking into a tight corner I don’t want to have to anticipate a variable rate of turn. Sport features should allow us to drive and brake faster, harder, easier, safer. AS makes the car less predictable, more skittish, darty when driving hard from high-to-low-to-high speeds through tight turns. A steering ratio should be constant and optimal, neither too fast or too slow. As such, active steering is anti-sport and not innovative.

If someone says they find it beneficial in slow-moving city traffic and parking situations, fine. But I doubt that anyone who is not bothered by the labor required with manual transmissions in these scenarios would see any benefit with AS. I mean, is turning a steering wheel really a chore? I would say it is about as much of a chore as putting fork to mouth. What I am hearing from people who have the sport package is that AS is tolerated, not necessarily desired.

In my opinion AS has rendered the sport package unbuyable. I think BMW chose to make it a profit center by foisting it on buyers of the sport package. They are also foisting the sport package on people who subscribe to the notion that AS is a user-friendly feature that gives credence to the new-and-improved bimmer. If anything it should have been a stand-alone option. I don’t believe this was well-calculated on their part and is yet another reason why they are losing many of us.

Furthermore I’d be really annoyed if I bought the sport package only to find out that AS will not be included in the M5. It’s an indictment. Previously the sport package brought the lesser BMW models one step closer to the M5. Now it seems they will be distanced from it.

Finally, if BMW wants to be innovative with steering ratio, maybe they should consider making it constant but adjustable. Perhaps this is a nobler pursuit that would get some worthwhile attention.

Rich545… I hope you are happy with your car, this is the way it should be. But I believe BMW needs to be made aware of dissatisfaction with their products and insufficiencies in their decisions. They are clearly off-mission as voiced by many in the press and by long-time enthusiasts.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Yes, I have been drivng E39 5-series configured like this for the last 6 winters and I live 15 miles from Worcester just west of 495.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    With regards to the 2005 E60, AS is now a stand alone $1,250 option (maybe it always has been, I just never bothered to look), however, it is still included in the SP. Yikes, $1,250 for the AS system! Okay gang, for those of you who opted for the SP on your E60, would you have checked off the AS box as a separate option if the price list were written as follows?

Sport Package: $2,050

Active Steering: $1,250

Since I have my sights set on a new E90 in another year or so, the above is more educational for me than anything else. Lifting a line from the BMW-USA press release for the E90, "The new 3 Series becomes the first car in its class to offer anything approaching the benefits of BMW’s unique Active Steering. This stand-alone option provides..." I have reason to believe that the SP can be ordered without being blessed with AS as part of the deal. Will I then exercise my right to order the AS as well? Probably not, however, I will test drive it first.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "It’s in the hairpins. AS makes driving through them more difficult. It makes steering neither easier or better, it just convolutes it."

I somewhere along the line read a review of the new $500K Ferrari where the reviewer just about said the same thing about Ferraris' version of AS.

Do I think these reviews hold any weight? No, because I believe these cars are tested by professional drivers, where road performance has to be as impeccable as can be given these are street cars. While some people may not appreciate the AS, that doesn't mean it makes the car any less of a BMW.