Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    The "small device" is known as the "clutch delay valve" or CDV. No harm will result from removing it; it's not even fitted to the E39 M5. I'd go ahead and yank the thing-it is a real pain.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    What, exactly, is the purpose of the clutch delay valve? I can't consistently shift smoothly into second or start smoothly from a standstill, and it drives me nuts.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    The clutch lock valve aka "CDV" regulates the flow of hydraulic fluid used to actuate the clutch. Regardless of your "driving style", the flow of fluid is consistent minimizing clutch wear by drivers new to driving a manual trans. If you learned to drive a manual trans using a BMW with a CDV, it would not be a problem, but most people haven't resulting in dissatification with the BMW clutch. Since the CDV prevents the driver from "modulating" the clutch to fit the situation/driving style, the result are jerky 1st/2nd gear shifts. Removing the CDV returns clutch control back to the driver. There is no physical change to the clutch when the CDV is removed - it only affects the flow of hydrualic fluid.

Hope this helps...JL
    It does help. Thanks. But it also raises a question. If I had learned to drive a stick on a BMW, what would I be doing differently from what I do now? Meaning, what's the *trick* to smooth shifts with a BMW clutch?
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,879
    I kind of agree with all but that part... Even if you learned to drive on a CDV equipped car, it would still delay engagement of the clutch and make smooth shifts hard to achieve....

Unless, of course, you would get used to not getting immediate acceleration after shifting....

BMWs have never had the greatest clutch/shifting anyway, but this CDV thing is just nuts... I'm used to difficult manuals... I've had a 911 and a '67 BMW.. but you shouldn't have to put up with that on a modern car..

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Now that seems bass-ackwards. I thought BMWs are engineered for quick shifts. If you are not getting immediate acceleration after shifting, where's the *quick* in that?
    Not in my experience... the shifter and clutch are definitely not up to par with the engine.... If we could just get a Honda-inspired manual transmission to hook up with that sweet six... that would be the ultimate....

• rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    My dealer confirmed this when my wife test drove the X5 last week. So my 545 will already be outdated!
    Yeah... it must suck only having 325 HP.... You will be hanging your head in shame... ;)

Unless, of course, you would get used to not getting immediate acceleration after shifting....

the shifter and clutch are definitely not up to par with the engine....

Hmmm...the other day I was at a light next to a 325i. When it turned green, I shifted into first...and looked up to see the 3er waaaaaaay down the road already. (Surprise, surprise; I'm usually first out of the gate). That car was a rocket. I caught up to him, but clearly he got *immediate acceleration.*
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    It will happen. Availability might be November?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    >>We paid 1.17 Euro per liter for 91 octane in Germany (approximately $5.98/gallon) and 1.33 Euro per gallon for gas in Holland (approximately $6.80/gallon). In Holland, a 15 gallon fill-up is a $100 jolt.

Wow, no wonder all those bikes.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    What does removing the CDV entail? Can it be reinstalled if one doesn't like the results? Have you removed your CDV?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Take a look here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

I would have done that to my 530i if I had known about this little situation sooner. I just couldn't justify swapping mine out with less than a year remaining on my lease. Having said that, if the CDV is present on my planned E90 330i, you can bet I'll have it removed as soon as my new ride hits our shores.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • big_jimbig_jim Posts: 27
    Shipo: re: the 17 x 8 Borbet Type E Silver Wheels that you recommended.

Can I add the bmw hubcaps to these? I am not too vain, but I would like the car to look as normal as possible, being that I live in MN and will have these tires on for almost half the year.

If I were to spring for OEM rims, I am assuming the 17 x 8 star spoke 122's are the way to go for winter tires? I'd be wanting to put the 225/50 R17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I didn't actually try to move my BMW Propeller axle caps to my Borbet wheels, however, they "Looked" like they would fit. As a suggestion, you might want to visit your local dealer and buy a cap or two, I don't expect them to be too expensive, measure them and then call Tire Rack to see if they'll fit. Keep us posted on what you discover. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • big_jimbig_jim Posts: 27
    Outstanding idea, brilliant in it's simplicity :)

I think the caps cost about 3.75 a pop.
    CDVs aren't in every BMW manual.. In fact, I don't think the 325i has one...

Regardless of you getting whupped... ;) I still think the manuals in BMWs are lacking compared to other cars... It is the weak link in the drivetrain..

regards,
    kyfdx

I hesitate to contradict anyone on this board since I don't know as much as you do, but according to the link in shipo's post four blocks north of yours, the e46 325i does have one.

(Oh, I was dusted all right. Made me wonder what a Supra can do these days, as a friend of mine with a 325 told me he got smoked by one recently.)
    Contradiction is good.... I possess a lot of incorrect information... ;)

Hmm.. my E46 325i doesn't have one (steptronic..lol).. Hey.. maybe the 325i that smoked you was a step?

Perhaps the one in the 325i doesn't interfere with the clutch operation as much as in the others.. I hear a lot of complaints about the 330i ZHP, but hardly any from the 325i owners....

I usually hesitate to mess with a car that is under warranty, but I think changing out the CDV would be my first modification...

regards,
    kyfdx