Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    BMW's : brake dust = bees : honey
  • People do not get that the only part of a car that makes contact with the road is the tire . . . :sick:
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    PBS Axxis : None :shades:

-Paul
  • I think this is close to the Terracotta my wife has in her new X3 (she has a black gloss exterior) -- it is stunning.

I have the Amaretto color (in my new Audi A6) which when parked side by side my wife's BMW looks pretty close, my exterior is a pearl green -- BMW offers this combination too, and, once again it is stunning.

I had ordered the Infiniti M with a liquid platinum exterior and burbon leather (but Infiniti's take on this is more orange than the German's.)

I swear if I see one more black or silver BMW though, I'm gonna hurl -- our local BMW dealer's lots are a "sea of black and silver" 3's, 5's and 7's -- with a rare white or red one dotting the landscape.

Must be the market (for BMW's -- since neither Audi nor Infiniti seems to be dominated by Black Gloss, Pearl Black and/or Silver Pearl [or whatever the names du jour are] the way that BMW's are.)

I admit I like the silver and I love my wife's black gloss X3 -- but I am also questioning my own "imagination" since it seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry has a black BMW these days.

Maybe that's why I went with the pearl green -- just to be a "smidge" different.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    like the one Edmunds used in its recent test was nice with the color interior they had...

I think Audi has some of the best interiors...

-Paul
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    The light color is nice enough, but I really dislike the wood. That same thing drives me crazy about Lexus interiors. To me a car is not a peice of furniture.
  • BMW's : brake dust = bees : honey

Yup, and BMW brake dust : rims :: grass and mud stains : little boys
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    either of the blues and white of course.
  • bksportbksport Posts: 5
    I have a similar issue and the front tires are being replaced today. They were apparently out of round. I'm not sure how that happens to a brand new tire. We'll see if that fixes the problem or if it persists. I'm also experiencing rough shifting at low speeds in traffic however there is no prescribed solution for that yet.
  • sdg380sdg380 Posts: 109
    My 2¢ if I might.

For an auburn interior, I think you might find that a dark (black) or white exterior may look best together--both look very classy to my eye. And while I think I'd further counsel you to go with the Silver Gray, if that's to your liking, it seems that for some time tan/brown interiors were not being offered with gray/silver exteriors, which I presume was dictated by a lack of popularity--so consider if this could possibly negatively impact resale value (or maybe you don't care, which is somewhat understandable, it's supposed to be what YOU like!)

While the comments above about all the black and silver BMW's is right on point, that is simply a reflection of these being among the most popular car colors for many years. And I think that may reflect the fact that while blue or red cars (etc.) may look nice, everybody's taste changes over time, usually faster than car ownership, so more under-stated colors have a more lasting appeal.

For the record, I go for the monochromatic look, gray interior with TiAg on my E39--and there is no denying that silver is absolutely the best color for not showing dirt. But think I'd go with the Sterling Gray if I was buying today, sort of split the difference between light and dark tones--but would still have to consider a gray interior, even though, by itself, I think tan.auburn interior looks great (but best with blue, red, etc. or white exterior, IMO.)
  • Having previously sworn that I would never have another black interior (or silver car, for that matter), last December I purchased a Ti Ag e39 530 with black leather. It wasn't my choice; it's what I got stuck with because it was the only e39 530i 5 spd sport in the entire DC/Baltimore area. I still think it's boring, even though it is very pretty to look at, but I don't mind the black interior at all. It doesn't show dirt the way light leather does, and it stays surprisingly cool even when the temps are in the 90s.
  • hullhull Posts: 10
    I have been thinking about BMW's for 5 years and am finally ready to get one. I recently moved to Portland, OR from San Diego. I initially considered the 530xi with MT, but I think I can feel the extra weight impacting the handling, and the extra $2000 doesn't seem worth it for Portland. I am now leanilng towards a 525i with stick. Unfortuantely, I will probably have to order from the factory, as there is not a single stick on the local dealers lot (not even a 3 series!).

In the past I was a beliver in the 530, but the 525 now has 200+ hp and is really the same engine as the 530, just detuned.

The local dealer will give me $1200 below MSRP (no discount on options) as the "Costco" price. It seems reasonable.

Now I am torn on color combos:

Should I get Mystic Blue with Gray leather or Oxford Green with Auburn Leather? I don't like the silver stuff at all (or white). The black and dark blue look good, but I think those dark colors will be hard to keep looking clean.

I am also trying to decide on options.

I am NOT interested in the sports package, as the ride is too stiff for my taste, or active steering or NAV.

I will probably get the premium package so that I can get adjustable lumbar support. I will defintely get the cold weather package, as Portland is very cold by Southern California standards.

I am wondering if I should consider the comfort seats. The posts seem mixed on this. I am also wondering about the audio system upgrade. $1800 seems expensive, but I do like good sound. I don't care for the idea of a changer in the glove box.

Are the Xenon headlights really that helpful? Also wondering about the power sunshide and the park distance control.

All these gadgets sound nice, but are they worth the money. If you take all the options the price of the 525 starts looking more like a 545!
  • equan1equan1 Posts: 27
    Xenons for sure. PDC is very helpful. While I am a BMW diehard, you might want to consider a M35, or even a G35
  • Which color excites you when you see it? If you really don't care one way or the other, it doesn't matter which you choose. But if you think that in six months you will regret not having gotten one or the other, then that is the one to buy.

Sit in the comfort seats before you decide. Do NOT buy something you haven't experienced for yourself unless you can adapt to anything. (But if you can, then you won't need those expensive comfort seats, will you--the standard ones will be fine because you will adjust to them.)

Listen to the standard audio. If it sounds good to you, you might not need to upgrade. Personally, I like the in-dash changer since I usually drive alone and have to do it myself while driving.

I love my Xenons. I don't have a sunshade or park control, and I don't miss them. But that's just me.

And remember, you really can't miss no matter what you choose; it's a great car! (Did you check out the Prices Paid board for pricing info?)
  • mp2mp2 Posts: 5
    Did they fix the vibrations after the replacement, please let me know. They replaced 3 sets on my car and now they have fixed it to an extent , I only have slight vibration at 60 to 65 mph, it is 90 to 95 % better than before.
    Dealer also thought it could be steering rack, I am still leaning to get a replacement since car has still to date 600 miles only.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Hi riez. Nice to see you post again.
    I have three questions for you. What would one experience if one's car were out of alignment? What would one experience if one's wheels were not balanced? Is it possible for one's car to be out of alignment and have wheels that are unbalanced and not be able to notice it?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    You just pulled his post from over a year ago... I'm not sure that qualifies as posting again....

I hope we hear from him, but you aren't likely to get a reply...

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dagmandagman Posts: 5
    I purchased a 525i/auto/premium/sport last week. Overall, the car drives and handles great, but I am noticing a small problem/quirk with the acceleration/transmission in first gear. When stepping modestly on the accelerator from a stopped position, the car seems to suffer a reduction in power at about 1000 RPM's, just before shifting into second gear. If you accelerate quickly enough, you do not experience the issue. However, in traffic, rapid acceleration is not possible.

The sensation when this occurs is like a very poor shift, slightly bucking the car. Sometimes it is minor, and sometimes more significant.

Has anyone else experienced/heard of this problem. Is it a defect, or simply a quirk with the transmission?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Having never sat in the Comfort Seats on a 5 series, I can tell you that the stock seats will suit you just fine. You'll be glad you get the car in a stick too! My Mom drives an '05 530iA. She doesn't have the Sport Package (when she ordered it ONLy came with active steering which she didn't want) or Comfort Seats. On a recent trip form their NYC suburb home to Pittsburgh, PA, my Dad who is 59 with back issues had no trouble sitting in the car and driving for almost 8 hours (including rest stops).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Oops! :blush: Jeez, I must have been tired or something. Guess I was hitting too many threads in a day.