Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Hmm, I rather skip lunch than a glass of wine at dinner! ;) Neither can I deny some fuel to my bimmer.

I am going to slowly drive at the seaside to the very nice town of San Sebastian this afternoon to spend the week-end and then work there the first three days of the next week. San Sebastian has a very solid reputation in gastronomy, which makes me pretty miserable in my present condition.

Regards,
    José

PS. Please receive you all my empathy because of the Katrine disaster.
  • Just came from gassing up, and paid $3.69 for a gallon of premium.

Went out about 5am thinking I would avoid the long lines and hit a 24-hr gasoline station. They’re not 24-hrs anymore; the lower-priced gas stations are not selling gas overnight. I guess this is an effort to conserve their supply.

The pricier gas stations were open and selling gas.

I thought things would be different.

I remember back in the 70's when there were long gas lines, and that’s because gas stations back then weren’t 24 hrs. You couldn’t drive up to a gas station at 3am and “fill her up”; and I thought that led to the long gas lines that I remember from back then.

I figures now a days with the 24-hr gas stations there would not be a recurrence of those gas lines, or at least not to the length that they were back in the 70's, but if 24-hr gas stations aren’t going to be selling overnight, then I wonder: “Will the long gas lines of the 70's return in this new millennium?”.

Somebody once said “what’s old is new again”!

Thoughts anybody?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I just paid 3.19 for premium and I nearly choked. I've seen it as high as $3.97. Gas stations vary wildly in the price they are charging as much as $1/gallon. The Hess station was under $3/gallon for premium, but as you can imagine the place was packed. I've never seen gas stations so packed.

The long weekend and peoples fears of a gas shortage are causing thie run.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    What can I do to put you in this lovely 4 cylinder Honda Civic today? ;)
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    ok, the other day I went to the beach. Took the canyon route. It is a 15 mile 2-lane curvy road with a few passing lanes up and over the mountains. There were 3 of us in the car (2002 530 SP 5-sp). The car handled the fast turns like a dream. There are also some steep grades to clear. I miss the days when I would take this road in my turbo Supra, spool up the turbo to full psi, double down shift and then let it go. The car would shoot forward like a sling shot to pass even on the steepest inclines. However, in the BMW, in order to pass with authority on the steep grade, it takes a lot longer to increase speed requiring more planning and strategy. Its times like this that gets me thinking that I should have gotten the 540 instead. Then when I returned home, I passed a gas station selling 91 octane at $3.39. I checked the gas mileage on the trip computer and it said 27.2 mpg. Then I thought that the 530 is not so bad after all.
  • requiring more planning and strategy

Let's just say it takes more skill...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• IIRC, lines were long in the seventies because there really was a shortage. This time around, there are rumors of one. So far they are only rumors...but human nature being what it is, we never let the facts get in the way of a good story, do we? (The more things change, the more they stay the same?) Hence, the run on gas.

ABTW, the reporter who said Katrina is our tsunami was right. I've heard accounts from family of survivors, and they say that whatever you're seeing on TV doesn't do it justice--it's really a good ten times as bad as what we see. I just can't wrap my brain around that kind of destruction.
  • Recently ordered and received the 2006 525XI sleek, wonderful looking car. Sand exterior dealer called Olivin Green with tan leather interior with all the bells and whistles, to die for. I purchased it about a month ago, for the BMW experience, unfortunately I haven't been able to experience very much because I've had to bring this car in for service three times with an average stay of 4days. Approximately four days after pick-up the car's service engine light appeared, then the car began cutting off on me, the vanos unit was supposedly the culprit they went in and reset something. However, that did not work so I was back in a few days at which time they replaced something. Then the i-drive malfunctioned and I could not operate the radio, navigation, etc. However, I was still able to drive! Great! I took it back in for this problem to be addressed and it was held for six days to resolve the problem. So recently got it back and waiting to see. $50,000.00 car and it feels like I purchased a lemon. :mad: :confuse:
  • awaxawax Posts: 8
    I am in the Air Force and stationed overseas. I can order a 2006 M5 through BMWs military sales for delivery at any dealer in the US. I was quoted $83,000 for the 2006 M5 with every option available delivered in Jan/Feb 2006.

Since I can't visit dealerships in the US, I am having trouble determining if this is a fair deal. I have tried to phone a few dealerships. As expected, they are very cautious with telephone call inquiries.

Does anyone have any feedback for me? Good price? Are M5s expected to be a hot seller for dealerships? Limited supply?

My other option is to go with a 2006 550i for $63,000.

Thanks for the help!
  • I'm no expert on this, but I searched online, and I found one site that claims an invoice price of $74,070 and a "retail/target" price of $81,200. But it doesn't specify whether that's MSRP or how the car is equipped. There are any number of sites that say they will give you quotes if you are willing to identify yourself to them, but I don't know whether you actually can do it before the car is officially available. And as you can't even build your own on the BMW website (I tried), I'm guessing it's not yet officially available.
  • I have a question, I have a 2006 530xi on order. I called BMWNA and the info is the car is it is in the body shop with estimated completion date of 9/8. Does this mean my car will have the september upgrades? IE:the new start/stop button and the enhanced dsc+. My dealer says it will, but I just wanted all of your opinons on the matter. Thanks
  • you can build a 550 though on www.bmwusa.com as a point of reference though.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Awax,

How about this deal? You order an M5 for delivery to me and I will get a 550i for you plus hand you the $20k difference in small unmarked bills.

As far as I know, BMW never offered any European Delivery discount on the previous M5 or current M3. As such, and knowing that the previous M5 sold for around $75k with all options, the $83k price you have been quoted sounds very, very good.

By comparison, your $63k 550i quote sounds bad. I have priced out a 550i 6-speed with sport pacakge, premium sound package, cold weather package, navigation system and satellite radio. US MSRP is $65,340. The ED MSRP would be $61,320 ($4,020 savings). However, my dealer has agreed to sell it at $1,500 over the ED invoice price, or roughly $57,500. That happens to be the exact same price I am more likely to be paying for a Boxster S to supplement my perfectly acceptable Acura TL 6-speed. But it is very tempting to go for the 550i and I still can't figure out why some are paying upwards of $50-$54k for a 530i.

I would jump all over that fully optioned M5 at $83k. If you decide you don't like it, you could probably sell it on E-bay for $100k, given the very limited supply and long wait some of the early adaptors will be facing. My (small) dealer has 6 on the waiting list ahead of me and they only expect to get 3-4 per year.
  • what dealer gave u that deal?
  • Hey,
    Anybody know if a 88 528e automatic is a decent ride with a 212k on it? Its a one owner car in good shape. I've always liked older BMW's. Will this car be reliable. It has the 2.7 6 cylinder motor. I drive about 8000 miles a year, I need to get about 2 years out of it without it nickel and diming me to death if you know what I mean.
    Will this be a high mantience car? Does it reguire any special oil filter's or anything like that. I looked online and prices for parts don't seem to cost anymore than any other car does. Any suggestions?
    Thanx
    d miller
  • If you are worried about "nickel and diming", then you might want to avoid this car. BMWs from the '80s, while nice rides, are fairly maintenance intensive.

And... any car with 212K miles will be a crapshoot.

Could I suggest a nice '92 Honda Accord with around 120K miles? I'm seeing a lot of those around my area with asking prices from $3K-$4K... Something like that would have a lot better chance of seeing you through a couple of years.. and would be much easier to sell, when you had to get rid of it.

Something tells me the price of that BMW might be around $1500, though you didn't say...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host--Prices Paid Forums

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    M5 price with every option is $92,475, including destination... tack on an additional $3000 for gas guzzler tax, and you're over $95,000.

If you're getting a car that in demand for $12,000 under sticker, then I'd call that the deal of a lifetime.
    I have had the $1,500 over ED invoice offer from several BMW dealerships in PA and Maryland. My small hometown dealer is who I specifically discussed the 550i with, but they don't want it to be advertised that they discount the ED prices, so I won't name them.

However, I was previously quoted $1,500 over ED invoice by Passport in Maryland on a 5 series, and I believe they have been recommended by others in the Edmunds forum. I believe someone posted some time ago that they got $1,200 over ED invoice on a 3 series.

It is a completely bogus line that 'ED prices are not negotiable", even though several DC area dealers still try to stick to that pitch. In fact, for high demand cars, going ED is about the only way you can get a good deal. The cars do not come out of their limited US allocations and yet count towards their sales bonuses.
    What is your info source for M5 pricing?