Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• It is not that simple. I have a 2002 530i, SP with 60,000 miles. It came with Michelin Sport Primacys. They wore evenly, got louder and louder, but lasted 37,000 miles. They still had tread. Next were Goodyear Eagle F1s. Quiet as a mouse, but the insides wore smooth after 17,000 miles. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. They appear to be wearing evenly and have not started roaring, yet. My point is same car, same driver, same roads, all BMW mounted and aligned. Different tires.
  • For what it's worth, I have a new 2006 530xi with Bluetooth, and use a Motorola V710 phone from Verizon Wireless, and have had no problems with uploading the phone book or voice quality (very rare echoing when I speak too loudly or wind noise excluded).
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Yep, the V710 is on the "officially-supported" list that I linked to in my previous post....
  • yup we have basically the same car. Again, different drivers.
  • WOW, Just curious, how did you get your dealer to sell you a car that is $72 k fully loaded for $57.5 k? If you send me dealers web address would order at that price tomorrow. By the way, do you know the build time?tks
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    I got 36K on the Pimacy's on my 2002 530i 5sp SP. Based upon the wear, they could have gone another 5K at least, but had to change them when the car was CPO'd. They became very noisy towards the end. I replaced them with PS2's. For less money than the Pimacy's, I got better handling and a quiet ride. Cannot ask for more. So far after 9K, they are not showing any wear.
  • I'm considering purchasing this vehicle from a BMW employee who has taken very good care of his car. The only problem is it has 106K miles on it. He replaced just about anything you could before the 100K warranty ran out. Should I be concerned with the mileage or expect many problems with a car that has such high mileage? Thank you for any input you can offer!

Thanks!
    Emil
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,599
    If all of those things had to be replaced before 100K miles.. what makes you think it will be reliable after 100K miles?

A troublesome car rarely becomes more reliable, just because you've replaced all the parts...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I am buying a 2003 540 with 31,000 miles from a dealer. So it has 1 year left on the maintenance program. They are pushing a two year extension for $1,500? Does this make sense. Thanks
    I am buying a 2003 540 with 31,000 miles from a dealer. So it has 1 year left on the maintenance program. They are pushing a two year extension for $1,500? Does this make sense. Thanks

If you need to replace brakes and rotors during that time, figure about $800-$900. About $90-$100 for oil changes. $300-$400 for scheduled maintenence....... It adds up. In the end, most people make out better by getting the extended maintenance.
  • Keep in mind that extended maintenace programs and extended warranties have commissions and profits built into their cost. You only come out ahead if greater than average maintenance is required.
  • Keep in mind that extended maintenance programs and extended warranties have commissions and profits built into their cost. You only come out ahead if greater than average maintenance is required.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,599
    A lot of it depends on how many miles you drive... If you drive 20K/year, then you will easily get your money's worth.. as the 60K and 90K services will be covered....

But, if you are only driving 8K-10K miles/yr, then I wouldn't bother..

One other thing... Is the car CPO? If you are going to bring it back to the dealer for the warranty work for the next 3 years, then you'll likely be coming there for service, as well.. This would push me towards buying the maintenance to match the warranty....

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

If you drive 20K/year, then you will easily get your money's worth.. as the 60K and 90K services will be covered.... But, if you are only driving 8K-10K miles/yr, then I wouldn't bother..

Very true. Maybe I should have been more clear about people getting their money's worth.... Any warranty or maintenance plan depends on how you drive.
  • I recently purchased a 2006 525i and experienced a noticable shudder at 65mph. The dealer first balanced the 2 front tires. This did not solve the problem. They then rotated and balanced the tires and the car still drove the same way. The Service Rep mentioned that "It's a sports car so you should expect certain vibrations". BMW then authorized the dealer to replace the two front tires. If they rotated the tires, I assumed that they ended up replacing the rear tires. So if the front tires where the original problem, then they are now on the rear.....The major shudder has subsided but I'm still not happy with the vibrations I feel in the steering wheel at 65-70mph. Am I experiencing normal driving vibrations or should I keep bringing this car in for service?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Do you have active steering or active roll stabilization? They MIGHT be an issue, but I suspect it is something much simpler.

Have you had all the tires balanced? Just because it came from the dealer it doesn't mean they balanced it properly or you haven't lost some weights off the wheels.

-Paul
    Have you tried driving another 2006 525i on their lot? See if other individual cars feel the same way.... I have heard of people thinking something is wrong or weird with their car because they are just not used to it.
  • I have a 530XI which I took delivery in July. I've experienced the same thing which starts at 45 MPH then goes away above 65+ MPH. The dealership acknowledged the vibration and a harmonic drone which sounds like excessive tire noise at those speeds. They kept the car for two days - then basically chalked it up to - the car is performing according to specs.

Every car experiences some vibrations - but there is no reason it should pick up at specific speeds and is easily repeatable on any road. I'm hoping to find other individuals who are experiencing a similar issue in an effort to pinpoint what may be common and force the dealerships hand. There were several other post a few weeks ago on this thread.
  • Suggest high-speed on car balancing from a top drawer wheel/tire dealer. Typically balanced up to 120MPH. Takes entire wheel/tire and suspension system into account. May help to determine source of the imbalance.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,236
    Hunter "road force" balancing equipment has been very helpful in eliminating this sort of thing in other brands with sensitive suspensions. It's capable of telling the operator how to clock the tire on the wheel to get the best result, as well as when the tire cannot be balanced. Tire Rack will generally replace tires that are rejected by a road-force balance.