Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• ontopontop Posts: 279
    I think we've been spoiled by the really quick cars that are now available

Yup. Even a Hyundai Sonata LX can outrun a 530 for half the price. The 'ultimate driving machine'? That moniker seems a little dated. A top of the line Camry now has 265 hp.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Even a Hyundai Sonata LX can outrun a 530 for half the price.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm calling the Hyundai dealer first thing in the morning. And if that falls through I'll check out a Camry! You know, you just can't beat FWD Asian transportation appliances for true driving pleasure...
  • meateatermeateater Posts: 123
    I'm calling the Hyundai dealer first thing in the morning. And if that falls through I'll check out a Camry! You know, you just can't beat FWD Asian transportation appliances for true driving pleasure

You might want to do that and join the crowd. People are discovering the lack of straight line performance of BMWs and opting for Gs, TLs, and Avalons and pocketing the cash. Oh but wait - they won't get that Autobahn experience of overpaying for moderate performance. To get that you gotta pay what? $75K for an M5?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Yeesh, a wheezy Sonata outrunning a 530i? Geez, some people will believe anything.

A Camry? In a straight line it might actually be close, then again some roads (at least where I live) have some curves. Bye, bye Camry!
    My three favorite 5er "Street Eliminator" Stories:

1. 1988: Redneck in an early 80's Z28 tries to keep up with my 1973 Bavaria 3.0(the 5er's direct ancestor); I hammer him in the twisties but when the road straightens out he really puts his foot into it to catch me. Problem is, I know the road has two huge frost heaves located @500' from the last corner. Apparently he doesn't. My Bavaria glides over the buckled pavement at 80+, but when Bowtie Boy hits them his front end bottoms out and his front crossmember and oil pan dig into the pavement creating a beautiful shower of sparks. Twice. The last time I saw Z man he was s-l-o-w-l-y pulling over to the shoulder.

2. 1990: Carload of headbangers in a 1970 SS396 Chevelle decide to challenge my 1987 535is at a light. I pull ahead by two car lengths before I have to slow for the next light. They decide to turn off at the next side street...

3. Summer 2003(OK, this isn't a 5er story, but it's too good to leave out :P): Jag XJS convertible cuts in front of my Club Sport as I'm taking an entrance ramp on to I-64. The driver is a textbook example of Mid-Life Crisis Man: comb-over hair, gold chains, and wrap-around sun glasses. His companion is a flashy blonde trophy wife/girlfriend/bimbo. The guy simply cannot stand for me to pass him, so the faster I go, the faster he goes. I settle in to a cruising speed of 85, trusting in my V1 and the fact that the Jag is serving as a "rabbit" in front of me. After several miles I notice the Jag is starting to smoke a bit. I speed up so-of course-the Jag speeds up. More smoke. I catch a whiff of antifreeze. This is just too good, so I turn up the wick a bit more; I can't believe the idiot hasn't noticed any problem. Oh well, I continue to push him up to about 95. At that point, the old Jag has had enough; clouds of steam suddenly billow out from under and around the hood. The sled finally pulls over to the emergency strip. My Club Sport now has a film of coolant covering the windshield, but it was worth it...
    Yeesh, a wheezy Sonata outrunning a 530i? Geez, some people will believe anything.

A Camry? In a straight line it might actually be close, then again some roads (at least where I live) have some curves. Bye, bye Camry!

The wanna-BMWs are back! Yes, nothing gets my automotive juices flowing like a FWD V6 Korean econobox. Mmmmmm...
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Uhh...pardon me but isn't that veering off line when accelerating quickly in the Avalon and Camry called "tourque steer?"
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Posts: 170
    Uhh...pardon me but isn't that veering off line when accelerating quickly in the Avalon and Camry called "tourque steer?"

Well Mr Wizard, torque steer only is an issue when you're "steering". Got it. Like when the ole fogey Avalon steers in front of the 530 after leaving him at the last light. And then steers into the bank to deposit the money he saved over the 530. 300 hp vs. what, 225? Do the math.

BMW's way overrated.....
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Posts: 172
    A little defensive here? When someone points out a $45000 BMW with 220 hp is lacking solid acceleration that many mid-priced Asian sedans have they're labeled a troll, eh. Well the emperor has no clothes. And yes, a Sonata LX has 236 hp and is faster than a 530. An effin Hyundai!

Its probably time BMW got with the hp program that even a Camry now has.
    Another big advantage that the Asian transport modules have is the large number of enthusiasts who autocross and track them on a regular basis. Plus the huge tuner support. And of course there's all those "Best Sports Sedan" awards the Camry and Sonata have picked up.
    Dude, it's always a good idea to make sure the brain is in gear before engaging the mouth (or the fingers in this case). First off, for whatever reason, BMWs have historically been much faster than the numbers on paper would otherwise indicate. Like it or don't. Second, the 530i has 255 hp, not 220. In fact, I cannot remember a 530i model ever having 220 hp. Maybe the old V8 version from the early 1990s?

As far as calling y'all Trolls, yup, that's what y'all are. Descending upon a dedicated forum and bashing the car in said forum is VERY Trollish behavior. I would expect the same treatment if I was to start posting on the Sonata forum claiming that it is nothing but an overpriced spam can. Now, if this was a comparison forum, then all bets are off of course.

As a final comment, BMWs have NEVER been all about horsepower. There have been times when they have evolved to the point where they were near the leading edge, however, I cannot remember any time in history when any non-M BMW was a class leader as far as horsepower is concerned. When the Trollish elements of the driving public finally get that through their heads I sincerely hope their incessant need to bash will evaporate.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well said! If someone is driving what they consider to be a superior automobile, why do they feel the need to justify it in forums dedicated to other marques? To paraphrase a friend of mine, I seriously doubt that there are any 5er owners who lie awake at night wondering if they should have bought a Hyundai or Toyota...
    Why do you bother posting here?
    Your comments are totally absurd and have no basis whatsoever in fact.
    Just because you are miserable, why come over here and make ridiculous claims?
    Go tell it on the mountain in the Toyota forums instead of embarrassing yourself here.
    Your post is totally laughable!!
    As Shipo correctly points out, BMW's have never been about the HP.
    You are completely missing the point.
    It's about the incredible balance and performance rivaled only by more expensive vehicles.
    When I am driving on the interstate and I have to make a quick emergency maneuver, it's the BMW that will make it safely, not the Camry or bloated brother, the (ugh!) Avalon.
    BMW's are relative bargains for what they are.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,252
    I just happened upon this thread since it showed up on the "front page" of the forums, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts from the folks who are so knowledgable about the 5-series (and other BMWs). So, I thought I'd take advantage of the expertise on this forum and ask for some advice.

I drive a TSX now, and would like to replace it with a larger, AWD car (or wagon). After several months of lusting after the E90, I finally decided that it was just too small for my needs, and have moved on to the 5-series (as well as others in its class). So, I've entertained thoughts of what are probably considered the "usual suspects" - M35x, RL, GS300 awd, A6. I am, however, very drawn to the 5-series.

Since I entered this with a 3-series budget in mind, these cars are a bit of a stretch, and I've started looking at the used market. Obviously, there's not a ton of inventory out there on these newer models, but they're starting to trickle in.

With all that said, here are my questions/considerations:

1) Any apprehension I have with the BMW relates to reliability - I've owned almost exclusively Japanese brands (Honda, Acura, Toyota, Infiniti). My thought is that with going with a 2006 or newer 5-series (to get the AWD) alleviates some of this concern, with 3 model years under their belt?

2) From looking at Autotrader and other sources, it seems to me the wagon is depreciating much quicker than the sedan - I assume due to the lower demand for the wagon? Since I like the functionality of the wagon, this could work out well for me.

3) I've always had manual trannies on my car. I'm strongly considering going to an auto for this purchase for a couple of reasons: a) part of me thinks the auto fits the character of the 5-series (i.e., I wouldn't consider an auto in a 3-series) and b) if I'm looking to the used market, I'm thinking it's gonna be extremely difficult to find a manual. Now, I know this is a personal decision, but anyone else make that move from a pretty die-hard manual trannie person to an auto?

4) Any other advice based on my situation?

Sorry for the long post; thanks for any insight.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2008 Audi TT - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• meateatermeateater Posts: 123
    My .02.

I was interested in a 06 325 or 330. Dealer didn't have a 330 I could test drive, so I drove the 325. Decent car, kinda slow, but a little small for me. So I asked about the 5 series. They had a 525 to drive. And it has the same measly 215 hp engine in it as the 325!

Wow - what a deal! And I'm German and have been strongly considering a BMW. What a letdown. Didn't see how the $50000 for the 530 and 255hp was the answer.
    So, let me get this straight, you're slamming all BMWs after one test drive? In a 325i (automatic?) no less. Yeesh! For the sake of your credibility let's hope that your test drive was at the very least over night and covered one hundred miles or better.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I had 2 325's.
    Now I have a $60k 4.4 liter 325 hp 32-valve V-8 545.
    By Jove that is the answer, and I'm not even German.
  • laurenxesqlaurenxesq Posts: 9
    Hi jccssc.

I just leased an 06 330, I'm in CA. Am also experiencing high pitch noise when driving above 80 mph. The dealer's technician test drove with me and I was able to duplicate the same noise while I was driving. Dealer now refuse to repair, stating they will not break the law by driving above the legal speed limit to duplicate the noise defect. Please share with me how your BMW dealership repaired your vehicle & how did they over come the driving above 80 experience. Thank you.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Oooh. I love your answer! Wish I could do the same.
    Here is the answer for me: I have an Accord for when I must behave on the road, and my 530 for when I want a heart thumping driving experience. :D